• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Moveset Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Fwew. I spent about 6 hours or so watching the video frame by frame and writing a moveset analysis for Little Mac. It would be awesome if you guys could check it out and let me know what you think of it. From reading some of the posts here I might be wrong about what I've been calling his 'Forward Smash' and it might actually be his uncharged neutral B.

I decided to call it his 'Forward Smash' in the end though because of the beginning animation of both attacks. Little Mac's fist goes down for Neutral B in both other instances it's seen, but when he uses it against Bowser, Little Mac turns away from Bowser very briefly before twisting back and thrusting his fist forward.

Here's my analysis here. It's pretty long and in-depth so check it out if you have the time: http://berathen.com/2014/02/little-mac-moveset-analysis.php

gamiac2002

Smash Rookie
I notice the lack of down Smash/down tilt speculation. Usually a slot for leg sweeps, body spins, etc. But he obviously can't do that given his strictly boxing fighting style. Maybe a full 360 spinning punch for Down Smash and a simple gut punch for down tilt?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
some characters have a forward facing d smash.
little mac seems like the type who cant really hit behind himself.
maybe his dsmash will be a "punch below the belt"

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I notice the lack of down Smash/down tilt speculation. Usually a slot for leg sweeps, body spins, etc. But he obviously can't do that given his strictly boxing fighting style. Maybe a full 360 spinning punch for Down Smash and a simple gut punch for down tilt?
No other fighting game boxers shy away from puniching someone in the legs, so I doubt Mac will do so.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Never noticed that pic. Yeah, looks like I imagined, kinda like Dudley's c.MK. Looks like he's hitting behind him in the pic as well.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
All analysis is wrong, he has tilted front smashes... though that does bring up the question of what his down and up smashes are...

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Quoting from the Miiverse thread.
So this is quite the interesting update! Angled smashes aren't new, but it seems Little Mac's forward smash has some interesting properties.

I initially posited that this was Little Mac's F-Smash:

Which it would seem may be the straight version. However:

I wasn't sure what this was, but it could be Little Mac's up-angled F-Smash. It looks like Mac has a lot of movement to his F-Smash to compensate for his range. We also see that it sends the opponent on a distinctly upward trajectory as opposed to his straight, which is strongly horizontal. And of course the armor is present in both instances. Little Mac's looking to have a lot of variation in his attack options.
Whoever said that was Little Mac's F-Smash, looks like you were onto something. :D

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
That's really interesting. Apparently the DF-smash does the most damage but doesn't have knockback, which is really weird for an Fsmash. This just gets more and more exciting!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
That's really interesting. Apparently the DF-smash does the most damage but doesn't have knockback, which is really weird for an Fsmash. This just gets more and more exciting!
But its great for combos

Speculator

Smash Ace
So not only do they have enough moves from boxing to give Mac a full moveset, it actually looks like he's gonna have more moves than any other character. :smirk:

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I don't think so after looking at the pics again.

I think that is what it looks like near the end of the move.
No, the way his legs are positioned in the two pictures are completely opposite to each other, there's no logical way for him to transition from one to the other.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Quoting from the Miiverse thread.

Whoever said that was Little Mac's F-Smash, looks like you were onto something. :D
I also said that it was his side smash in my 'Little Mac Moveset Analysis', but guessed that his up-tilted side smash was his up smash. Oops.
But yeah the side smash and neutral B have completely different starting and ending animations. If you look at the legs and where his punching hand starts, you can tell that it isn't the same move.

I did not see this coming though. Little Mac effectively has three different attacks in one smash attack.

The up-tilted Side Smash sets up for Little Mac's cyclone punch up special.
The default side smash has good range and knock back. This might be the go to attack for getting the KO.

The down-tilted Side Smash, however, is brand new. Sakurai says that this 'body-hook' is the most devastating, but doesn't blast enemies away. This could potentially be anything. My guess is the move stuns the opponent and allows Little Mac to go into another attack. That would be perfect for building up KO meter or for landing the KO Punch.
I'm going to assume the down-tilted version doesn't stun twice. Like how in Melee Mewtwo's disable only works on the first go. If it really down stun/crumple I assume you could go:
Down-tilted side smash -> jabs into finisher -> up special.

Of course we've only seen the up special combo'd into from the proper up-tiled side smash, so it could be that the finisher doesn't have the exact same properties. Either way I'm still really excited for this character.

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
Whatever. Its his body hook.

Blue colored attack just like body hook

**** the leg position lmao.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Whatever. Its his body hook.

Blue colored attack just like body hook

**** the leg position lmao.
It's not. The punch in the Wii U picture doesn't have the same angle either, it hits closer to the ground. Accept that you're wrong. The reason it's blue is, most likely, because its the Dsmash like Gilius Thunderhead suggested.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
All analysis is wrong, he has tilted front smashes... though that does bring up the question of what his down and up smashes are...
Up Smash....
Star Punch?
And I wonder what that move that interrupted Link's Spin Attack was?
It had armor, and no momentum, but still went such a far distance.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
lil macs got some new smash jargon

Fusmash---- foo smash
Fdsmash----- fid smash
Ffsmash------ double f smash or fif smash

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
So do you think Luigi up, side, and down smash attacks will prepare for Mac's version?

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
His down air looks to be a metero spike going off of the animation.
It also looks like his forward tilt may also have super armor. It's hard to tell because of the smoke, but I don't think the move should come out that fast after being hit so I'm thinking its actually super armor and he started his attack first.
Down Air and Forward Tilt - http://gfycat.com/CleanMistyCoot

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
I think that's the Nair, and the Fair is the one he whiffs against WFT in the reveal trailer.
I agree. It makes more sense for the swinging attack to be his fair, while the more static attack is his nair just like it is for most characters. Mario for example or Samus pre-Smash4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom