• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little known facts about Mr. Game & Watch

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I found out something amazing a long time ago, but I forgot to post it here.

If you do a forward air after a double jump immediately from the ledge, the ISJR glitch allows you to double jump or do whatever (up B?) again without touching the ground. It could help him get back up from the stage or something, maybe. =P Definitely worth noting though.

If you use up B after this, you "keep" you double jump like would would after a normal up B, provided that you didn't double jump trying to up B.

This is a lot easier with the claw method, and it's best to press down as opposed to away to drop from the ledge so you can DI more effectively.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
15) G&W's glide toss goes so far that he can actually recatch items he just threw. This works for Link's bombs, Toon Link's bombs, Peach's turnips, and maybe a few others.

Chill the **** out... That's sweet as hell

@Zac, What? I never knew that... is that supposed to happen?

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Yes. The game designers purposely added a "downside" to charging smashes. If you get hit while charging, you'll be punished by being sent farther than normal. The range difference is similar to that of fully charged DK punch vs only 9 chargers DK punch.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Yes. The game designers purposely added a "downside" to charging smashes. If you get hit while charging, you'll be punished by being sent farther than normal. The range difference is similar to that of fully charged DK punch vs only 9 chargers DK punch.
I think of it as Smash Bros. counterhit system. And it's a good thing it's only knockback and not damage, or else I'd have to cut back on my smash spamming in the damage racking phase. <.<

Although I thought it worked if you were hit not just during the charge, not just before the hitbox, but at any time during the attack.

I went back to this thread (which I'm subscribed to) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210557 but it doesn't have vs. charge mechanics...

I can't remember where that finding was put up.

hey, could you use this fact to escape a Mach Tornado by smashing just before it hits you?

NatP

Smash Ace
PK-ow! said:
hey, could you use this fact to escape a Mach Tornado by smashing just before it hits you?
Oh, man... This seems possible... Could this work? It'd seriously help A LOT of characters.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Wow I never thought of doing it that way........ genius. Though, G&W has better options to counter nado with UpB.

But for other characters this can be quite helpful. I'm gonna try it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Hmm... maybe charging a smash then up-bing right after for a guaranteed up-b?

GBye

Smash Cadet
Man, I love this topic. Although I´ve known and mastered a part of the facts, there was still some hints that made me want to Game&Watch a lil bit more.

F*** C. Falcon, G&W is the manliest character in the game.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Wait what? I think you worded that funny. The 9wind IS much stronger than the fully charged DK punch, unless that's what you're saying...

Luxor

Smash Champion
Yeah. If you watch the video he posted, he killed a Yoshi at like 60% because the Yoshi was charging a smash. The knockback difference is pretty significant.

Edit: I think I misread Kita, but whatever.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I don't think charging a smash to avoid the nado would work, because the hitbox that knocks you into the air is the one on the bottom (there are two on the side), meaning that you would get hit first by the side hits, knocking you out of your smash before the hit with knockback. But yeah, like Zac said, there are probably better options than risking being hit and not being able to have a guaranteed punish on MK.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Wait, what do you mean on #4? About the upB and Uair restoring decay.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Wait, what do you mean on #4? About the upB and Uair restoring decay.
He means basically the windboxes from uair/up-b, if you hit them, it refreshes your attacks without doing any damage.

Say you're dsmash is so spammed that it wont kill sweetspooted at 90%.
Throw opponent in the air, and uair him a couple of times. Your dsmash should be refreshed and kill again.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
He means basically the windboxes from uair/up-b, if you hit them, it refreshes your attacks without doing any damage.

Say you're dsmash is so spammed that it wont kill sweetspooted at 90%.
Throw opponent in the air, and uair him a couple of times. Your dsmash should be refreshed and kill again.
Oh, I misread it, I thought it said it restored the decay of things like the Skywolrd platforms, waddle dees, the Green Greens' blocks, and such, which doesn't make sense, so I was confused

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Oh, I misread it, I thought it said it restored the decay of things like the Skywolrd platforms, waddle dees, the Green Greens' blocks, and such, which doesn't make sense, so I was confused
Yes that doesn't make sense.

BUT it did say that if you Uair those things, it will enter a UAir in the stale move queue (i.e., refresh moves).

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
Yes that doesn't make sense.

BUT it did say that if you Uair those things, it will enter a UAir in the stale move queue (i.e., refresh moves).
Yes, I understand what it means, now that I realize my mistake.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Neat thread. Dunno if this counts for anything, but if you buffer Chef, you will automatically throw out 5 pieces of food. You can stop it by pressing B again.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I didn't know quite a few of these O.O

4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 21, the second Olimar one, Pikachu, Snake, Falco, and Zss/Yoshi (crouch under grab)... Sooo coool O:

Valdens

Smash Ace
I didn't know you could stop the dumb buffered Chef thing, lol. That knowledge would have saved me in many-a-friendly. V_V

Mr.Jake and Skate

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mrjakeandskate
Yesterday i was messing around and i found that G&W uair also sucks you into him if you use it while you are facing the opposite direction of the enemy.

Probably old but felt like i should post anyway

Blobby

Smash Cadet
Wow I learned a lot for my G&W. I didn't know most of those but uhh some things that can probably help you but most of you might know is that you can bucket an Arwing or the Great Fox's lasers for a 1-hit KO (practically). Oh yeah, that thing about DAIR and fast fall makes DAIR goes slower will help me a lot, thanks!

iamjason8

Smash Journeyman
Yesterday i was messing around and i found that G&W uair also sucks you into him if you use it while you are facing the opposite direction of the enemy.

Probably old but felt like i should post anyway
I used to main GaW... >.> lol

---

GaW boards da bess!

The Smug Irishman

Smash Rookie
This was Really Helpfull. i did not know about #11. i'm trying to move G&W to my #1 player now that i've topped out on Lucas

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if its mentionable, but if you come off a re-spawn and hit someone with a sideB 1, even if you have invincibility frames it still hurts you.

Top Bottom