• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Literature Recommendations: For the sincerely interested

D

Deleted member

What are you talking about? Once and Future King was an awesome book. I recommend it to anybody.
It's your opinion, dude. I found Once and Future King to be boring, particularly in the second half, but I was a 7th grader. How many 7th graders do you know who have read through Once and Future King?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I remember for senior year in hs I read Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Suskind. Even as a translated book, it's amazing. I highly recommend this book. I can't really put it into a genre, cuz it's just really weird. I've never been so amazed at the climax of a novel. The climax blew my mind.

Has anyone else read this?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
It's your opinion, dude. I found Once and Future King to be boring, particularly in the second half, but I was a 7th grader. How many 7th graders do you know who have read through Once and Future King?
Not many. I do know about 80 kids who read it in eighth grade. Try reading it again. It really is a good book.

@choknater

Didn't they make a movie about that book? It looked interesting, and I was planning to pick up the book after I had heard about it. I never did, though.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
What book to movie translations does everyone think the movie was better than the book?

I can name few off of the top of my head.

- The Shining: One of the greatest movies I've ever seen in my life. In what I assume is not a coincide, this was one of the worst books I've ever read in my life.

- No Country For Old Men: The book is one of my favorites, but it's really depressing and I like the movie's overall message better.

- A Clockwork Orange: Again, one of the best books I've ever read. Stanley Kubrick took it over the edge with his use of scenery and made the right choice hiring Wendy Carlos to make the epic soundtrack. SPOILERS
The last chapter in the book was cut for the movie. I assume Kubrick chose to do this because the ending is BULLSH*T (and also, it was cut from the American addition >_>). You convinced me to feel sorry for a thieving, rapping, violent, bigoted murderer, convince me that he did not desevre the Ludovico Treatment, and then tell me "oh lol, hed grow out of it boys will be boys"? Stupid.

Read all (except The Shining) and watch all these books/movies, as they're awesome.

B3Brawler

Smash Apprentice
a few of very important books in Western culture that are also fun to read. Utopia- very influential in renaissance politics and a quick read. Don Quixote - very famous and representative of the two classical metastances: romanticism and realism. Catch 22 revokutionary book, one of the first books to go against war for a long time. Also very funny. Must read for a left wing America. Dante`s Inferno: IMO the best in the trilogy, Also very revolutionary, Introduced alot of new ideas and got him n trouble with the church

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Fun Trivia Fact: At MOAST3, AOB was really impressed that I had named myself after Heart of Darkness...until I told him my gamer tag was from Kingdom Hearts.

I just got done with a class on Jane Austen, and I simply can't recommend Pride and Prejudice, Emma or Persuasion enough. I think a lot of people mistake Austen for simple chick lit, but her stuff is really witty and has a great ironic tone.

If you want something that's really fluffy but hilarious and out of the norm, I'd suggest Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever by Joel Derfner. It's heart-warming and caustically sarcastic, all at the same time.

Steven King's Carrie is always a classic.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
The Watchmen - This book is more of a comic... Ok, it is a comic, however it is rated one of the best 100 literature of the 20th century. It is about 'heros' of the government that have been unemployed, and someone wants to kill them all, you will read about the lives of these so called 'heros', and discover various truths of who they are.

Albert.

Smash Master
how does the Watchmen movie have a different plot than the comic?

Have you seen it already?

I've read the comic and the few minutes we have all seen from the trailers seems pretty faithful to the comic.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
how does the Watchmen movie have a different plot than the comic?

Have you seen it already?

I've read the comic and the few minutes we have all seen from the trailers seems pretty faithful to the comic.
Somethings are the same, but a lot has changed, I am not going to try to persuade you of my opinion. I just wanted to make you aware.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
the trailers seems pretty faithful to the comic.
Are you SURE we're talking about the same Watchmen trailers?

Anyway, it's confirmed that Ozymandias' plot is different, but we don't know definitively to what yet. Early drafts of the script are absolutely ******** (you can read the gist of one I posted in the Watchmen movie thread), it's changed the third act, that's a fact.

EDIT: In a nutshell, no Ozymandias staging an alien invasion that kills half of New York and drives the world into peaceful coexistence. Anybody who thought this had a chance of working has absolutely no idea about the amount of depth that Alan Moore puts into his works, period.

Top Bottom