• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Literature Discussion

Pengie

Smash Lord
Because I have to do some reading for school over break I was kinda spurred into making this kind of thread; feel free to talk about any novels you've read/plan on reading, suggest novels to other people, etc.

We finished reading One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel García Márquez, in my English class a couple of days before going on break, and I can safely say that it is an amazing novel! I felt a little jaded when I started reading the novel because many if the people in my class hyped the novel up as being amazingly godlike, but once we got into the novel it became extremely engrossing; everything about it was so well done! Not only was it a great read, but it was also a great novel to pick apart analytically; the novel just has so much depth to it that it's crazy!

So have at it guys!!!

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I used to read all the time, but then high school made me hate reading. Now I'm in college and finished all my literature/english classes, and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of reading again. I think I'll start tomorrow :D

Pengie

Smash Lord
I used to read all the time, but then high school made me hate reading. Now I'm in college and finished all my literature/english classes, and I'm starting to warm up to the idea of reading again. I think I'll start tomorrow :D
I've aways somewhat of a picky reader in that there aren't a lot of novels that can hold my interest throughout the whole novel; for instance when we read The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, I enjoyed Fitzgerald's writing style and his diction, however, the actual plot of the novel wasn't really that engaging to me. One Hundred Years of Solitude was probably the first novel that really grabbed my attention with its amazing writing and its extremely stimulating plot.

One of the things that I'm actually looking forward to in my English class this quarter is that I'll get a chance to re-read (read: actually read and not Sparknote) George Orwell's 1984. I'm only about seventy pages in and I can already tell that it's an amazing novel in every regard! I actually would like to reread Animal Farm because I feel like a copped out on it last year for a paper I had to write and I ended up Sparknoting/BSing a large part of the paper, and I want to give it another shot. Lastly I'm really intrigued by what I have heard about Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World, to the point that I'm contemplating doing a my Extended Essay on that novel.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
you should follow up with love in the time of cholera. marquez is too good.

also, if you want to keep the dystopian theme going, read do androids dream of electric sheep (inspiration for blade runner) after brave new world.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I think I might start by reading the harry potter books.

I never finished the 5th book and I just lost interest after that. I'll probably just start reading with book 1 since it's a great series.

Top Bottom