• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Linux Lovers' Thread

Jammer

Smash Lord
Well, I'm just really excited because the newest Ubuntu release, Gutsy Gibbon, came out yesterday, and I have off of school for some reason today.

So I'm spending the day fiddling with Ubuntu.

In fact, I'm installing it on the hard drive while I type this post using the Live CD (can't do that in Windows!).

I don't know if this thread will go anywhere, but this is what I'd like to happen: People who use Linux tell about their favorite distro, talk about problems with hardware incompatibility, bash Windows and, to a lesser extent, OS X, and generally try to sound very knowledgeable about computers. Of course, that list is not fully inclusive of an optimum discussion's topics and tangents.

Discourse about useful programs and games for Linux may also occur.

And if you use Windows or even Apple, you are welcomed to say something like, "Windows rules, Linux has no games, etc." to liven up the discussion.

I will start.

My favorite distribution is Ubuntu. I've been using it since Edgy Eft. I haven't spent much time with other distros, though.

I play Sauerbraten and Tremulous (two excellent online FPS games) regularly on Ubuntu.

Gutsy Gibbon looks awesome! The desktop effects are cleaner and more useful than Windows Vista's, if you ask me.

Also, it's going to take less than half an hour to install Ubuntu. Windows usually takes 3-4 hours. Oh wait, this nifty message just popped up: "Installation is complete." It took 24 minutes to install. Incredible.

EDIT: I restarted into the installed Ubuntu, and booting plus login took about 40 seconds. And I have a slowish computer. It feels nice.

Now it's your turn.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I have a working computer with Windows on it.

HA!

GOTM

Smash Champion
I have been a linux user for a while now. I started way back when with such distros as Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, Knoppix, etc. Last year I really got into Ubuntu, and started when it was version 6.06, aka "Dapper Drake". I recently had 7.04 on my laptop, but had to put Windows XP back on because of some issues with the VPN for my job, but I will be dual booting really soon. I am really excited to check out the new Ubuntu.

Also, anyone looking forward to using Linux but don't know a distro to choose? Take this quiz!

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I really am looking forward to fiddling around with Fedora as well. Looks amazing.

Thino

Smash Master
started with Feisty Fawn afew weeks ago , just updated yesterday to Gusty Gibbon , I might try other distros once i get really familiar with comands and stuff

Jammer

Smash Lord
I knew you would make a Linux thread, Jammer. Judging from your previous posts, this was only the next step in the logical ladder.
Heh, no way. I never even really talked about computer stuff. Well, I guess you were right.

By the way, Gutsy rocks! Oh man, it's really nice to get back into Linux since I screwed up my bootloader.

But now I have to get used to all the little weird quirks and difficulties. But it's totally worth it.

Does anyone know when the good open-source ATI Radeon drivers are coming? AMD released the specs like a month ago. I really need a good video driver.

EDIT: By the way omfgomfg, what's the next step in the logical ladder?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I tried out linux a year ago, and I really liked it. I dual-boot Windows XP/Ubuntu on my desktop computer, but ever since school started I stuck with Windows because I'm too lazy to get my printer working with Ubuntu.

Linux pros:
-Great package management system
-Absolutely amazing GUI

cons:
-ugh typing sudo/su for everything (I've heard you can log in to root, but that's bad?)
-takes a bit of learning

My old laptop was too slow to run Windows xp at even a tolerable speed, so I just installed Xubuntu (an Ubuntu distro with xfce), and it was fantastic, but then I later gave it away =[.

I've been planning on installing the new version of Ubuntu on my new laptop (no dual-booting-- bye bye windows :) ), but with me being lazy, I really don't think I will, or at least not in the new future.

Jammer

Smash Lord
I stuck with Windows because I'm too lazy to get my printer working with Ubuntu.

cons:
-ugh typing sudo/su for everything (I've heard you can log in to root, but that's bad?)

I've been planning on installing the new version of Ubuntu on my new laptop (no dual-booting-- bye bye windows :) ), but with me being lazy, I really don't think I will, or at least not in the new future.
Ah, printers are a pain. But Gutsy has really improved that. I assume you're all like, "I have no idea what SAMBA and LCP and all that stuff is!" It can get tricky, but I bet you can do it in less than half an hour by looking on the Ubuntu forums.

About typing sudo: Instead of typing sudo all the time, type "sudo bash" once. That gives you a root session inside the terminal. To go back to your regular user session, type "exit". Pretty cool, huh?

If you do manage to do away with Windows on your new laptop, I congratulate you. I'm still not ready for that--I'll be getting Vista so I can play games. But I'll probably use Ubuntu most of the time.

WFL

Smash Journeyman

Two xkcd comics that i remembered that were about linux.

Yes, I did it for the lulz.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Heh, the "sudo make me a sandwich" one is one of my favorite xkcd's. I sometimes tell my sister to make me a sandwich. She says no, and then I say "sudo make me a sandwich". It worked. Once.

About that first comic: There is anti-virus software for Linux. But it's only purpose is to keep viruses away from Windows machines (all Linux needs is a firewall). That fact gives me lulz.

EDIT: Well, it looks like this thread was moved to the Computer Cafe. I guess I'll have to say goodbye--it was really meant for the Pool Room.

Top Bottom