• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-ups: Export #1: Falco

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Match-up #1: Falco

Link vs. Falco
30:70 Falco

This matchup is pretty hard and isn't easy for Link in the least. Falco's lasers can be pretty hard to get around, but if you just stand still then you will be saved by your shield, providing Falco doesn't shoot lasers at your head. Crouching saves you from SH'd lasers, but be wary because a silent or standing laser will pop Link right in the head. To avoid lasers, try to perfect shield them and SHAD/Zair your way through them until you reach a medium distance from Falco. You don't want to get near Falco for fear of his CG. In the unfortunate event that you do get CG'd, hope that you are near the edge (at a low percent) and have a bomb in your hand. It would be desirable to save your second jump and possibly bomb yourself in the range of 35%~45%. If you do get spiked, then either meteor cancel or try to tech the ledge.

Again, remember to space yourself well in this matchup. Keep yourself medium distance, and SHAD his lasers and then Zair him if you get the opportunity. Use Nair to edgegaurd his phantasm, and Zair edgegaurding works wonders against his Up-B. One of Falco's biggest weaknesses is his reflector, so punish that whenever it is suitable. Many projectiles can go over the reflector and hit Falco, but remember that if he reflects your arrows/Gale Boomerang, bombs, that isn't good news for you. Punish the lag if it doesn't trip you, and arrows gimp him when he around stage level. If you can force him to try to recover high, then hitting him off the stage again for a kill shouldn't be too hard.

To make this easier on yourself, take Falco to stages like Battlefield. The ledges allow for somewhat easy manueverability, and if you stay on the platforms that can help against CGs. Stages like Rainbow Cruise and Norfair help, especially Norfair since the many ledges help you recover. Don't take Falco to FD or Japes, that will most defintely not be fun for you.
Credit to NAKEDeDeDe for summary, with my ratio added in.

Important posts:

Falco main(s):

Falco's reflector's biggest weakness is it's huge lag. It doesn't have a hit box while retracting and he takes time to grab it and put it back in place, so if you manage to bait and punish it he'll use it less and your projectiles are more effective, or he'll continue to use it in which you can just keep punishing. Another weakness of the reflector is that unlike the other spacies, Falco's reflector doesn't cover his entire body, so you can throw your projectiles over it. If you continue to do this, he'll probably short hop the reflector. When he takes it back and it's in his hands, it still reflects and that includes behind him. But really, the lag on it is pretty horrible, even on hit (unless it trips). It's has a -34 advantage on shield stun, and that's if it his on the last active frame of the hit box.

As far as lasers go, they don't affect you if you just stand still. And if Link keeps his shield in front of him when he ducks that would make it harder to shoot over the shield.

Falco's recovery is pretty easy to gimp. If he's at about stage level, arrows are pretty ****. Eventually, the Falco's probably going to have to recover high or risk getting an arrow to the face. If you can force him to recover high then keeping him off stage or getting a kill shouldn't be too difficult. Keep in mind that Falco has the option of canceling his phantasm as a mix up.

As far as the chain grab > spike goes, you should know better than I do if it's unsurvivable. You can also tech the spike by SDI and DI towards the stage right when he hits and then wall teching the ledge. It's pretty difficult to time, but you might find it worthwhile. Another alternative is to play near the ledge at very low percentages and hope that your opponent can't do a reverse boost pivot grab. If he can't, then he won't be able to get the full damage of the CG and it'll be more survivable. If he can, he'll have to RBPG twice and at least it leaves more room to mess up/trip. Playing close the ledge is also the same as playing on a platform that's not over the end of the stage (not like Smashville's).

I don't play Link so I can't really provide specific strategies or counters. But I do play a lot of Falco and I basically just outlined his basic weaknesses and what annoys me (yellow pikmin that go over my reflector and arrows).
Laser stuff:

I'd like to correct that, if you do a silent laser or standing laser, it hits him right in the head.

Other then that, I agree with most everything. You have to approach, and watch out for the CG. You don't want him near you or far away from you, so you'll have to try to keep him somewhere inbetween those. You can really easily edgegaurd, if they try to Phantasm you just use any move really, and it'll hit them out of it.

And for the record, his shine outranges Link's Zair. Zair has two hitboxees though, so you can probably get him with the last hitbox if you time it right. 70:30, Falco.
Chaingrab stuff:

It's extremely easy to SDI/TDI the spike and land onstage after a few tries. I do it all the time. It makes a WOOOOOOOORLD of difference on stages like Battlefield and Final Destination, it's hard on Yoshi's Island though. Just hit the C-Stick and Joy Stick left or right, depending on where you are of course, the moment the Dair hits Link. If done right you'll be onstage again.
however,

If the Falco doesn't spike you and just empty Sh's you pretty much kill yourself.... its risky

I also can only do it like 2/5 tries :/ don't get much practice...
Statistical info:
*Posting later*

3xSwords

Smash Lord
In that post summary it says zair gets reflected by Falco's reflector. Please edit that now, it couldn't be more wrong

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Whoa, I didn't even notice that. I must of been in zombie mode when I wrote that, or looking at in-correct posts. Sorry about that, please fix it like Swords said. I feel so dumb right now, haha.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Who cares if you can TDI/SDI the spike back onto the stage? Its 100% survivable from the CG anyway. :/

Now if we're talking at 125% damage, yeah, it makes a huuuge difference. But 40%? I survive every time.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well I guess it's useful just for knowledge of being able to do it at higher percentages. Falco can still Dthrow to Spike at mid-high% if your close to the ledge, but that can be avoided by simply not being near the ledge.

Legan

Smash Lord
Who cares if you can TDI/SDI the spike back onto the stage? Its 100% survivable from the CG anyway. :/

Now if we're talking at 125% damage, yeah, it makes a huuuge difference. But 40%? I survive every time.
eh, you do realize that good falcos will hug the edge after the spike right? Even if you do survive you WILL/SHOULD be edgeguarded.

Top Bottom