• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Dtilt; How to Spike and all that Good Stuff

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Link's Dtilt

Seeing as the old thread has been soooo thoughtfully edited out, I am going ahead and remaking the thread. This will not be a complete rip from the other thread, as that is stealing, but rather, an informative thread on how to perform this move, using knowledge that should be obtainable anywhere, as far as I'm concerned.. The thread covers the strange hitboxes of the move, and some quick yet good to know stuff on landing the spike.
Enjoy!​

As you may or may not know, Link's Dtilt spikes. Now, if you do happen to know this, you may have noticed that pulling the spike off consistently is near impossible if you just randomly go for the Dtilt without using your head. To start us off nice and slow, the primary and most known way to spike is to have the bottom portion of the opponent hit the hilt of the sword. Now, this isn't exactly very efficient. It would be a pity if this thread only delivered that message. Luckily, there are other ways that you can get the move to spike. One of these is by hitting the opponent with the very tip of the sword when their head/whatever is touching the sword. This is useful when you have an opponent grabbing the ledge, and not really for anything else, unless you like to intentionally spike the opponent onto the stage so you can tech-chase them/potentially jab lock. Yet another option is to hit the opponent in the same manner, only have the sword connect at about two thirds of the way from the hilt.

Yet another one is to, get this, face away from the opponent and use Dtilt. This only works if they are DI'ing toward you (obviously) and are touching your body, as the hitbox seems to be inside Link's body. Try aiming it around the head/shoulders, and it should spike every time. This is most practical when the opponent is recovering from the ledge and either:

• Jumping up to try to recover (and DI'ing toward you)
  • Ledgehopping to refresh invincibility or whatever (and DI'ing toward you)

Getting the spike is one thing, but how in the world do you get to the ledge quickly to spike them? Don't fear, for the Reverse Bombslide is here! (Yay for cheesy puns!) The bombslide allows you to reach the edge in one almost fluid motion, and since you don't fall of the edge due to the slide, you can Dtilt as soon as you get there to hopefully get a spike! Now of course, I wouldn't just leave a written explanation, as sometimes you get it if you watch videos.

Videos

Dtilt Spike (~3:30) By Smashbrosboy of Nintendo Hub (The names of the techniques are WRONG WRONG, AKA, POISON for your well manicured mind!)
Dtilt Spike By ShieryuSilvr of Youtube
Dtilt Spike By Izaw
Dtilt Spike (~1:00) By Arkive
Dtilt Spike By Ano

Reverse Dtilt Spike (~2:56) By sasook
Demonstration of Reverse/Forward (In which case you would pivot) > Pivot Bombslide > Reverse Dtilt Spike Gameplay by sasook, editing and concept by blu link

PICTURES

Theorotical Spike Hitboxes
Theorotical Hitbox of Dtilt

~Questions? Hate mail? Things I got wrong/should add? Discuss!~

ndayday

BRoomer
I would have that if it was in the realm of possibility, but it isn't. This isn't the thread where we discuss how awesome Link+ is either. :(

I should probably add that this stuff is so hard to pull of, it usually isn't worth it. Plus, you'll, without a doubt, get super predictable against an opponent, assuming they can actually function correctly.

ConCeal12

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mimic19
Didn't know some of that stuff O.o

I'll try to actually spike during battle, I usually don't land it when I try but this could increase my chances!

EDIT :btw in that video by By Arkive. How did he do that Fair at 1:00?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Nice thread, can't wait to see it all finished and what not. :3 Just one thing, that last vid or so is edited by me and so was the idea. I couldn't do the reverse bombslides so I asked sasook to do them for me. Just saying.

ndayday

BRoomer
Mmk. Credit will be given. :D

And I think I'm done. The only thing that I can think of to get is to get a hitbox image. (not the one on AiB, that one is just a theory) I'll try doing that later tonight, should be interesting to see where the hitboxes really are.

ndayday

BRoomer
Awesome. =P *adds*

I came up with a picture of the hitboxes (in the OP)...it's really rough, but it proves that the previous theory of the hitbox being IN Link is wrong. The spike hitbox is actually at his ankles and around his waist. I'm probably wrong, but whatever, lol.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I love the first theoretical spike hitbox in the first picture. Is it really that tiny red square? But anyways, I've never really done one at all in a match :(

...But I did get one in Training today! :chuckle:

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
We've discussed this on the boards many times before.

That's our best guess.

A spike only occurs if only the spikebox contacts the opponent. That means, if any part at all of the normal hitbox contacts the opponent, the spike is overridden and the normal upwards knockback will happen. Thus explaining why it is easy to spike with Link's body, and retardedly difficult to spike with the blade, being that the blade seems to spike only when you barely skim the toes of head of an opponent.

Top Bottom