• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link vs sheik

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
today i was playing my cousin as link. It was a very difficult battle for me and it also seemed that sheik just overpowered me in everything: attack execution, aerials, projectiles (she can shoot that needle thing from so far away, really quick), but in the end he beat by only one stock so it wasn't utter domination.

He also abused her downA smash which is very quick and almost completely lag-free. I'm not the best smash player but i'm not the worst either...so does anyone have some helpful advice?

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
well now you know to never underestimate sheik no matter how nerfed he got(i'm a Link main but a zelda /sheik trainee)

the neddle storm should be dodged with a timed jump or double jump

now sheik has low range, but Link does not. instead of attcking, let sheik come to you. link's sword should keep him away and build damage.

if sheik is taunting you to come to him/her, spam your equipment

Link can kill well after. just be patient and keep your range

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
well i never underestimated sheik, I've always thought she was/is great. we play on final destination so sheik will be on the other side spamming the needle storm while i use links shield to block(the actually shield not the (L or R button shields) when ever i attempt to close the gap she uses her dash attack and when i air dodge she quickly executes her downA smash. which kind of flusters me.

Legan

Smash Lord
Well your right, shiek is definately not to be underestimated but not just because of needle spam. Shieks tilt game still completely ***** link. She can link jabs>tilts>jabs>grabs without you getting a chance to powershield or airdodge. I dont really find shiek nerfed from what ive seen. The only advice i can really give you is keep a bomb in your hands at practically all times. Zair while holding the bomb and go from there. If she grabs you or gets you in a tilt flurry, the bomb should go off and give you a chance to reset.

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
dang sounds kind of bad but i'll keep that in mind.

is sheik higher than link when it comes to tiers?

Legan

Smash Lord
Id say its a definate yes. Shes not impossible to beat though so keep it up. What im beggining to understand about link is that hes not half as terrible as he comes off. We just dont completely know his character matchups.

OGsloane

Smash Rookie
I got a friend who plays shiek and as far as i know, trying to outspam works ok. Makes her approach and then you can zair and attack like others were saying

12ain

Smash Rookie
I agree with Legan, Sheik is higher than Link in regarding the tier rank but don't let that get to your head, Link is amazing. Just exploit his weaknesses and use his strengths well. I think playing as Link, it's always better that your opponent approach you than you approach them, Play defensive and strategic, technique and brain always beats pure brawn.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
well i never underestimated sheik, I've always thought she was/is great. we play on final destination so sheik will be on the other side spamming the needle storm while i use links shield to block(the actually shield not the (L or R button shields) when ever i attempt to close the gap she uses her dash attack and when i air dodge she quickly executes her downA smash. which kind of flusters me.
I can give you tips, as a Sheik player myself.

The dash attack is bad. If your opponent is spamming the dash-attack, shield-grab every single one of them. There's enough lag that even a ranged-grab like Link's should be able to get Sheik out of his dash-attack.

Don't airdodge or roll towards Sheik or you will get downsmashed, as you've seen. Try to keep your distance. If you can get him to Downsmash and you're outside of range, it's a fairly long duration attack, allowing you a free Fsmash or whatever.

Sheik's projectile game is fairly weak if you get the hang of it. Uncharged needles I'll mostly only use if my opponent is charging something (rollout, quickdraw, a smash, etc) or running straight at me, as anyone can simply jump, shield, or dodge them normally. Charged needles I like to save for someone who back-rolls away from me. The timing on them is such that you can punish the roll with the full 18%. They also have limited use in edgeguarding. Learn the timing of the needles, and you can easily dodge them.

D

Deleted member

two things you need to learn go stand a chance against sheik

1. good DI
if you get caught in sheik's ftilt dont di away because you'll just keep getting dragged in, instead di torwards her and jump out of it. also learn to di that downsmash because it may save your life (fsmash is easy to di because you see it coming)

2. spam when necessary
You dont have to camp and spam, but at least have bombs in your hand to ward off attacks
(learn the zair with bomb in hand, and fsmash with bomb in hand)

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Egh, I really do not have many problems with Sheik. One of my friends who OWNED me with Sheik in Melee, has trouble beating my Link with Sheik now. Since they gimped her Fair, she really and all of her other air moves, except the bair, she really isn't as painful as she used to be. As, the needles don't have as much range, and are a tad bit tricky to spam. Like, she has 2 kill moves? Maybe 3 if you get hit by the upb? her tilts are annoying but meh. I think Link is > Sheik personally. I do not have many problems with her speed, she is much easier to deal with than a lot of the characters.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
So, it was just her overall speediness? Have you tried dodging than dsmashing after she dsmashes? But yea, after seeing ArkiveZero's post and the Wildfire's they have good suggestions.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is definitely weaker in this game than before, but still not to be taken lightly. The problem with current Sheiks is that they play her like the old Sheik; juggling Link assuming old hit-stun physics... trying to combo him into the fair kill. Now that the fair has been weakened so much, they need to use the Nair and Bair more in their kills (they do work, just not as godly as the old Fair). I think once Sheiks make the adjustment, Link will continue to have difficulty due to her overall speed. But again, without that Sheik Fair, Link has a pretty decent game going for him with some of the less punishable ATs (zair-combos, combo mindgames, grab/shield-grab game).

I believe this wilil be an experience matchup as the metagame evolves; whoever has played more of the other opponent will have the advantage.

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
by the way, i maybe using these in battles and not knowing it but what exactly is a tilt attack?
Keeping the Control Stick tilted in a direction while attacking, hence the name. Not as powerful as a Smash Attack, but speedier.

If you've had Link do a One-Slash version of his Up Smash, that was an Up-Tilt, or U-Tilt. If you've had him do one slash very close to the ground as if he was cutting grass, that was a Down-Tilt, or D-Tilt. If you've had him bring his sword above his head and then bring it down in a quarter-circle, that was a Forward Tilt, or F-Tilt.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
To add what everyone else has said, consider some neutral A's to space yourself correctly with shiek, and add some damage on there. not exactly spammable, but it's a nice reminder to your opponent to back the **** off

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
well i beat my cousin...owned* my cousin and i learned something.
when in doubt, use your second character(fox for me) i do still want to beat him with link though.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Sheik's D-smash may have very little lag at the end, but it lasts a long time while Sheik is pulling off that bad*** breakdancing move. If you can dodge the initial part of the attack, you can punish Sheik while she is still spinning arround.

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
thanks^
and is it possible to grab her while she is doing her dsmash?(i haven't tried which is why i ask)

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
The only real problem i see, based on what you described in your first post, is the spamming of the down smash. I can kind of assume he is an "unexperienced" sheik player am i right? Would he single needle, or needle storm? If he did a single needle (with sheik standing on the floor) link's shield ( his actual shield, not the L or R ones) can take care of that, if it was in the air, he would have to have good aim and be far away.

You also said he beat you in aerials, did you ever once Zair, RAR, or run in with projectiles?

Other than that you must have played good, seeing as how he only beat you on his last stock.

Top Bottom