• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link vs. Marth tips!?!

ERiiCzDAPRiiNCE

Smash Rookie
I need help against my friends marth, i do good at spacing using zair(s) , and a good mix of all of links projectiles, but i can't space him forever, eventually his Marth runs up to me and does that f***ing dancing blade move, and kncks me in the air, then from there, he will either nair me to death or fair me off the stage knowing my recovery sucks. Plz, i need help.:urg:

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Fastfall can work, mix it with airdodge.

Shielding ***** DB also.

If this didn't help I would appreciate that you give more details.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Firstly, use the stickied Question and Answer thread for this.

Secondly, the Marth you are playing is clearly a scrub. If he knocks you up into the air with dancing blade then airdodge past him when he tries to follow up and utilt/usmash him. If he tries to nair and fair you while you are on the ground, and you know he is going to, shield and press A after he hits (it'll grab him). Make it a point that whenever he gets too close and tries to hit you the same old way he always does, that you simply shield the attack and punish it with a grab.
Also if you see that he is going to break through your projectiles then get on the ground ASAP and hold your shield. He's clearly not doing the shield-poke version of Dancing Blade, so just shield his attack and grab him.
There's something called telegraphing, which means a player is planning out their moves in advance and will follow through on that attack sequence to the end, whatever the opponent ends up doing. Your opponent is telegraphing because he only ever does the same version of Dancing Blade whenever he gets in close. You know what he's going to do, so just plan a way to punish it (such as shielding).
Make sure you don't telegraph either. Zair is nice, but if you feel he's going to break through anyways, don't keep doing it. If you find yourself in a position where you know your projectiles won't hit him, don't use them.

:)

ERiiCzDAPRiiNCE

Smash Rookie
sorry for not posting in the question and answer thread man, thnx for the help, whenever i get knocked in the air for some reason i have a natural instinct to pull out a bomb, ill try to airdodge from now on. I will also try to shield-grab him also from now on. Again, srry for not putting this in the question and answer thread.

ERiiCzDAPRiiNCE

Smash Rookie
sorry for not posting in the question and answer thread man, thnx for the help, whenever i get knocked in the air for some reason i have a natural instinct to pull out a bomb, ill try to airdodge from now on. I will also try to shield-grab him also from now on. Again, srry for not putting this in the question and answer thread.

You have to space your zairs properly. BTW, despite Marth nice all-around range, rolling behind him and attacking seems to do wonders, though I'm not sure why.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Because for some really odd reason marths can't use dancing blade in the opposite direction...

They are too busy jumping in the air looking pretty and laughing that you are using a low tier character against Marth.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Rolling behind a Marth is a TERRIBLE idea. A good Marth will be able to punish that roll. In fact, ANY decent player is able to punish Link's roll.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Pick up a better character....

Just kidding, though im not much of a Link player but I guess your your projectiles to your advantage, most likeley the marth will get annoyed and then you just try to **** them at that point

Rolling behind a Marth is a TERRIBLE idea. A good Marth will be able to punish that roll. In fact, ANY decent player is able to punish Link's roll.
I assure you, rolling behind works great on marth. The only attack Marth has that can counter it is an immediate bair (Which he will NOT do at first, so that's a guaranteed hit, and if you rotate your dodges, you'll have him jumping the other way, then you can fair him downwards, and if your lucky enough to be near an edge, you can dtilt him to his death.

Projectiles are also important. Galerang is by far his most effective projectile, and if you abuse it (Throw it downwards, then throw it upwards. If the first connects, the second is almost guaranteed to) Arrows and bombs are great too, if you rotate them.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman
^Has this guy ever heard of baiting rolls? A lot of Marth players do it.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
I assure you, rolling behind works great on marth. The only attack Marth has that can counter it is an immediate bair (Which he will NOT do at first, so that's a guaranteed hit, and if you rotate your dodges, you'll have him jumping the other way, then you can fair him downwards, and if your lucky enough to be near an edge, you can dtilt him to his death.

Projectiles are also important. Galerang is by far his most effective projectile, and if you abuse it (Throw it downwards, then throw it upwards. If the first connects, the second is almost guaranteed to) Arrows and bombs are great too, if you rotate them.
No......not at all.

-Link's roll is slow and easily punishable. Therefore already it's pretty much a bad idea to roll anyway.

-Marth has more than one option to punish you when you roll. Marths are known for baiting rolls.

-Whatever Marth you are playing must not understand how to punish >_>

-Projectiles are important but the boomerang is NOT his most effective one.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
Bombs... i main marth and secondary link.... bomb mindgames are gay for marth and make it harder to space Fairs and tilts. Don't try to fight in the air. I like to do the jump> bomb/zair>QD. but basicaly stay ranged and gimp with random crap. also gale guarding is lols.

Noo, you don't understand. Links slow roll's are his advantage here. Marth punishers are meant for characters with really fast rolls. Link's chimes in after his punish.

I dunno about you, but it works really well 4 me.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Noo, you don't understand. Links slow roll's are his advantage here. Marth punishers are meant for characters with really fast rolls. Link's chimes in after his punish.

Play a Marth that actually knows how to play the game the right way.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Bearer of the Triforce (I will now call you BotT), I don't doubt that against your friend's Marth rolling works. I know that you're just trying to be helpful with the experience that you have against this character. We appreciate it.

However, against most (meaning 98%) Marth players, this tactic doesn't work. In fact, against most players it won't work. So just bear that in mind. Your friend has a weakness for opponents rolling out of the way; most other players predict that or are able to react in a timely fashion to punish the Link player.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Zair. Marth can't Fair through it.
LOL

In all seriousnes, you have to camp him pretty hard. Predict his jumps and nail him with a gale boomerang, try retreating Bair>Arrow Cancels/Zair's to punish whiffed Fairs and what not. Zair works extremely well against Marth and can limit his aerial approach options quite well.

If Marth gets inside, which he can do fairly well, just try and jab him out and reset the spacing between you two. Don't go for many fancy jab cancel stuff as he can escape most of them due to his extremely light weight. You never want to be in the air above Marth, ever. If you get caught there focus solely on getting to the ground safely, not coming down on him with a Dair or something. Marth's juggle potential doesn't make it worth it. I mentioned Marth's light weight before, this makes him very easy to KO with Link's average KO potential. Offstage you have to throw **** at him to keep him and his Fair away from you. Beware that a single DB hit offstage will cause you to lose all horizontal momentum you had coming back to the stage and your UpB will then only rise straight up with very minimal left/right movement. You have to do your best to hurl that **** and keep him onstage. Make sure you save your second jump as well, the single DB hit is less terrifying that way.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I just Zair and try to space well while camping.

If what Laws and Kirin said wasn't enough, don't roll. It will only work on Marths who don't know how to punish rolls.

M4ge

Smash Journeyman

Lmao.
Someone teach this kid about Dancing Blade.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Make the most of Link's bombs

Link takes a while to ready bombs but they can be active for a long time. Short hop backwards and throw a bomb up with the C stick, follow with quickdraw arrow as Link lands. Bombs will not impact Link and make it much harder for Marth to approach. Bombs thrown upwards also have much longer attack and less chance of blowing up Link too. Throwing with the C stick is vital to maintain enough space. Of course, don't ready a bomb if Marth is already in your face. Don't hold your ground, you'll fail. Setup loose 'moving camps' when you have a breather.

btw, I've played SEVERAL different marth's. It's ok if none of you want my advice, I'm just trying to be productive. I could VERY easily be wrong, and all the marth's I've ever played in my life were six year olds, but just one more thing, Dancing blade won't reach link, because you generally don't use it backwards. You gotta mix it up with sidesteps and stuff.

I may be saying things that most people would think a marth would destroy, but that's the point. No sane marth would expect it. Aaaand THAT's where George Lopez comes into play. ^^

BTW my marth opponents might fail, but I play REALLY good Wolf's and Mario's lol. They're not really that hard if you focus yourself stay calm. Or maybe it's just because they're so cocky, bouncing around link so merry and full of glee, they miss the edge and fall to their death's ^^.

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
btw, I've played SEVERAL different marth's. It's ok if none of you want my advice, I'm just trying to be productive. I could VERY easily be wrong, and all the marth's I've ever played in my life were six year olds, but just one more thing, Dancing blade won't reach link, because you generally don't use it backwards. You gotta mix it up with sidesteps and stuff.

I may be saying things that most people would think a marth would destroy, but that's the point. No sane marth would expect it. Aaaand THAT's where George Lopez comes into play. ^^

BTW my marth opponents might fail, but I play REALLY good Wolf's and Mario's lol. They're not really that hard if you focus yourself stay calm. Or maybe it's just because they're so cocky, bouncing around link so merry and full of glee, they miss the edge and fall to their death's ^^.
so.......you mean to tell me that the point you have been trying to make was from playing against SIX YEAR OLDS????

Marth's DB most definitely reaches Link >_> No sane Marth would miss a punishment as easy as that. And from the sound of it, every opponent you play must fail because apparently they can't even grab the edge.

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
Mario is hard, but managable. He escapes our range with full hop Fireballs and combos you from 0-80 if done right. He laughs at you offstage and gimps the **** out of us too.
Don't make me go into that.

Noooo, I didn't say I was playing against 6-year olds, i'm just saying that you're right, since I'm on wi-fi I could be playing total noobs.

Seesh! I thought you'd be intelligent enough to figure that out ^^

And are you saying I'm helpful lol, or are you being serious?

Lawz.

NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Noooo, I didn't say I was playing against 6-year olds, i'm just saying that you're right, since I'm on wi-fi I could be playing total noobs.

Yeah I got what you were saying >_> I just wanted to make sure because some of your last posts made seem like it was true.

MooCowofJustice

Smash Apprentice

To be honest, I was being sarcastic. But at least you're trying to help, so kudos for that dude.

No sarcasm in that. Seriously.

10kudos

Top Bottom