• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link, Training methods: Diddy bananas, What thechinique improved against him

IYM!

Smash Lord
UPDATE:
well, anybody have to say anything about gimps, so , i plan combine this threat with MU charts and problematic moves threats

in the first talk about the character, in the second talk about the anoyning move, and here talk about how i can improve my skils against him.

So now is time for Diddy kong, if you have a method or you know which techique we need improve, please post here :)

i hope make this threat usefull for Link's mains, so give yours opinions :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Training mode helps you get tactics in your brain so you can do them without thinking in a match. I learned the metegame late so practicing DI, momentum canceling, and buffering helped a lot. Fight lv9 CPUs because people are much smarter so you want the next best thing.
Have routines. For example, I learned tactics by running to the edge of Battlefield>quick edge hogging>Z-edgehog x3> ledgestall Fair/Nair/quickdraw/boomerang/bombpull (depending on where the CPU was)> DAC or the bombslide version> run to the other edge>repeat. The timing/buffering for these is strict and important to know facing both directions.
Similarly, if you like subspace ledge stall, Zair edgehog and DAC as you go so it becomes instinctive. Practice Zair and FSmash with the (throwing) items you find. This will help you trophyitize bosses too.
Practice throwing items/aerial attacking with 'C' or (the + pad) while platforming. Hit with the tip of Link's reach like in matches. Knowing these improves tourney and non-tourney performance.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
One thing I'd recommend is practice teching. Go to the stage builder and create a flat stage with spikes in the middle. Jump onto them. Now tech. It might not seem like much, but a D-air spike teched on a stage will get you that crucial one or two seconds extra to counter.

Another thing I now do: replace most rolls with spotdodge-->D-Smash/grounded up-B or just spotdodge. Some moves will have to be timed carefully. Link's spotdodge is great but don't spam it. What Arizen said about tipping with Link's sword is really good spacing practice. Also helps develop a Marth alt.

How I practice my SH B-air: stand in front of Kirby or MK. Now B-air so your hitbox goes just above them. It's a good OoS or after spotdodge move, in my opinion.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I usually end up playing lv. 9 computers when I can't play with anyone else. If you actually play a computer like a person, they're pretty tough. A computer Weegee beat me up me pretty bad the other day (freaking B up kills... I gave him 600% damage and only killed him twice and he killed me three times with like 200% damage :mad:). Playing people is definitely the best way to get good, but computers aren't bad for learning what can string together, what can be dodged on reaction (someone with hella good reaction time can dodge Link's grab, for example) and such. Plus, they're good for practicing techniques to the point that they become subconscious (just keep playing them with the focus of "I'm gonna DI every attack they hit me with" after you've gotten the basics of DI down, for example). They're not gonna help you get any better with your off the edge game though, unfortunately, since that's an area that Link mains can always be better at.

IYM!

Smash Lord
a human alwais will be better than a cpu, but think in it :

tell me What is more dificult, dodge 1 laser of wolf or dodge 3 lasers?
if you can dodge three lasers of cpu ,which also are not as bad aim (i know that a human do a better use of his laser) you will have less problem to fight agaist the human, of course you can not dodge all laser but your chance of win will be better

also this method of three vs one helps to train your timing, your defence and your speed
if you attack one, the other will come for his help, for that reason you will have to change your strategy and make another (obviusly better)

Dont forget desactivate team attack option

personally, improve the use of my projectiles against wolf with this method

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I think the best way to improve is to get better at reading people. Online is actually a really good place to do this, because with button lag its much more important to be able to know what your opponent is doing rather then being able to react. If you don't do well in reading people online, chances are you are going to lose.

But thats just my thoughts.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Good point, I fail at reading people online. I should start doing that.

At the moment I really want to improve in:

DI
SDI
Teching the stage spike
Powershielding
Reading Opponents
Whiplash recovery

I've been looking for resources to help me improve in these. I should make like a training schedule for these things haha.

So you guys got any idea on how to practice teching? Maybe I could go into stage builder and make a room full of spikes and speed up the game play and try and tech things.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
So you guys got any idea on how to practice teching? Maybe I could go into stage builder and make a room full of spikes and speed up the game play and try and tech things.
My sister tried out this new thing about a week ago:

She created a large box with one opening right at the top center. Almost a cage match, except that there's one empty space at the top to Star KO ONLY. 3 Ike (lv 9s) and her 1 Olimar. She can now wall tech and ground tech better than I can and I've been playing this game a year more than she has.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I mostly use wifi however I may want to try some training mode to help me with teching, and learning follow-ups.

Rizen

Smash Legend
To train, beat lv 9 CPU Link without Zair, range attacks, Dair, or gimps. This shows you how vulnerable Link is to shields and forces you to make the most of each move and shield/dodge at close range. CPU Link's dumb but he has good timing/buffering.
CPUs are suckers for Dair and gimps.
----------------------------------------------------
If you don't know what an opponent will do, watch them as you spam Zair/jabs- once they break your spam wall, of course.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Uhh improving projectile usage. hmm... You have any videos of yourself that we can critique your use of projectiles?

But in general think the best way to improve on the use of projectiles is to figure out how to combine them with other attacks and create traps using them rather than just spamming away.

Stuff like:
Bomb>Arrow Cancel
Boomerang>Arrow (Arrow Locking)
Boomerang>Bomb>Zair
Boomerang>Jab lock
Aerial>Boomerang
Zair>Bomb>Arrow

Try and making use of all of your projectiles abilities.

Boomerang pull
Bombs multiple uses, Uthrow, Dthrow, Drop, ZAC, ect.

Basically find ways to make use of them in as many situations as possible, close range, long range, offense, and defense. Basically just combining projectiles with themselves or with melee strikes.

IYM!

Smash Lord
Uhh improving projectile usage. hmm... You have any videos of yourself that we can critique your use of projectiles?

But in general think the best way to improve on the use of projectiles is to figure out how to combine them with other attacks and create traps using them rather than just spamming away.

Stuff like:
Bomb>Arrow Cancel
Boomerang>Arrow (Arrow Locking)
Boomerang>Bomb>Zair
Boomerang>Jab lock
Aerial>Boomerang
Zair>Bomb>Arrow

Try and making use of all of your projectiles abilities.

Boomerang pull
Bombs multiple uses, Uthrow, Dthrow, Drop, ZAC, ect.

Basically find ways to make use of them in as many situations as possible, close range, long range, offense, and defense. Basically just combining projectiles with themselves or with melee strikes.

sadly , i cant upload vid :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: but i will find the way XD

other think, I do not mean projectiles advanced techniques, i know how to performing,
actualy i am improving the bomb sliding, I refer to perfect their aim

if you don have perfect aim, the technique simply dont will work

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Go to the pictograph or w/e thread and ask one of them if they can upload stuff for you. People here are quite friendly if you havent realized yet.

Hmm for aiming?

You could try going to training mode and put on someone either really small or really fast and set the comp to run/jump and just practice aiming. Or get a friend to just run around.

To be honest i never had any problem with aiming, sorta came natural. The projectiles have a set arc or path in which they follow. It's not something difficult as aiming Pits arrows where you can change the angle mid flight. There isn't much you can do to improve your overall understanding of how the projectiles work beyond just constantly using them or watching a bunch of matches of Link.

RMZ

Smash Cadet
My sister tried out this new thing about a week ago:

She created a large box with one opening right at the top center. Almost a cage match, except that there's one empty space at the top to Star KO ONLY. 3 Ike (lv 9s) and her 1 Olimar. She can now wall tech and ground tech better than I can and I've been playing this game a year more than she has.
Could you give me the dimensions of that?

IYM!

Smash Lord
well for practice my aim i do this

in vs mode i put a olimar how my oponent in level 9
he is small and have six pikmin than protejt him
well now do this fight with him without your sword, grabs(Zair also), and arials, only projectiles

Rules:
You can give him a direct hit only if you have broken his defence with yours projectiles
try first in Fd , after in BT, and do the same in a dificult stage (temple, spear pillar for Ex)

maybe this is a little noob, but beliveme, i improve my aim, and now i am better with the arrows
XD i hope this help somebody

RMZ

Smash Cadet
Thanks started playing this with my lil bro (we're more or less the same skill level) and **** it is intense. I would play against him more if he wasn't such a prick. But right now steadily making my way up winning 10 games of playing against 3 member lvl 9 teams on random with 3 stocks.

^ I train like that usually if I don't have a human opponent and on all stages one at a time.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
1. Training mode - ATs/inputs

2. Slow Brawl - Lvl. 9 cpu for reading frames of moves.

3. Brawl - Lvl. 3 cpu with/without handicap set to 300% for spacing offensive/combo setups

4. Brawl - Lvl. 9 cpu with Handicap set to 100% for Spacing and DI

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Ha, actually I played my friend, who was Ike, while I had a 100% handicap a few days ago. I lost, obviously, but it forced me to DI well and work on gimps to just have a prayer at winning. I actually got pretty close twice, getting him to about 75% on his last stock those two times, haha.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
What about a gimp move, someone know a Link gimp move? and know how to
improve it ????
The only gimping moves I use are Z-air ledgehog and, if I'm not feeling particularly ballsy, angled 'rang>angled 'rang>ad infinitum.

You can either keep hitting with it, which might end up helping your opponent back onto the stage, or use the pushing effect you get by merely tilting the control stick and not smashing it. For Wiimotes (not Wiichuck), that's lightly tapping the D-pad in whatever direction you want. It's principle corresponds to SHing so if you can do that, no biggie.

Or you could do like my CPU and run off the edge>F-air/N-air>recover.

Are arrows legit, people? Every time somebody tries to arrow gimp me, it just gives me a free up-B.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link can go a lot farther than most people seem to think off the edge, as long as you're careful. Link can actually do a run-off nair or b air or SH fair, double jump and use another aerial, then recover. You can even fastfall a little. Check out Arkive's video here. He made a few mistakes, but still, look at what all he does. There's probably a better video of him out there, but geez. You can see just what Link can do off the edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9O43m3z4Ns

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Wow that Nair at 45 seconds was really cool. ArkiveZero's Link is sooo amazing to watch. Man we gotta start adding all those vids of the old greats into the video thread.

Throwing projectiles is another good way of hastling enemies and putting them in awkward positions when their offstage.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Yeah, I really want to watch some more than just that one video. Arkive was freaking awesome. Does he have many videos up? I MUST LEARN FROM HIM!!

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Would it be better to attempt an Nair for a stage spike or Nair to push them further away? Course it would probably be character dependent, just in general.

I think stage spike would be best against players who dont tech that well. Though if they do they will probably just use that against you and go for a spike as you try to recover.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
footstool? When they jump off your head to gain height, and you get put into a free fall for like a second?

IYM!

Smash Lord
Bair footstool is efective but need timing

other think i use is dash, turn around, jump, Bair with fast falling, this is realy good move for Link, but isint realy a gimp move, any way, some one know how to improve those moves with out fight with people?

Edit: i dont want see this threat death, someone have to say something about Link' gimps moves, or want talk about other think to improve, just give your views

Top Bottom