• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Tourney Videos. Please give any feedback

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
This is a set my man Force played at a tourney recently. I recorded the vids for him, so I uploaded him, and I thought I might as well make this thread too. Watch them and leave any feedback (good and bad) on the matches

I apologize for the speed of the matches, but the recording went alitte haywire. Its not bad though. its like you're watching melee

Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSChXkjN1MM
Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb8BqKh83Hg
Round 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqe6-bPv1Wo

Force

Smash Apprentice
**** that guy's awesome =D lol jk. Hey deva or any of you other pros critique these videos for me down to the T. I have a japanese Wii so I have no way to get lessons from deva or any of you other pros.

Force

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble with people that roll-through combo me from behind, i've tried up-b to counter it and i've tried downsmash but they both seem to have weird timing, any advice would help. I watch deva's videos and he's able to hedge over people head with a FJ arrow into a cancelled arrow. This act pins them to the ground which helps out links game. When I try and do that i get rushed from beneath and it gets messy. If any of you link players have any ideas let me know.

surrepGuy

Smash Cadet
The fast playing and messed up sound makes those videos a little weird to watch...but I could still get the gist of whats going on. I noticed two things that were basically constant throughout all the matches. First of all, when you use proper spacing and your projectiles you absolutely ***** him. However, there were random intervals where you like...lost the ability to space and you projectile utility went to crap and ike started reaping major punishment. Basically try to stay on top of your spacing (ike fsmash koed you multiple times when you didn't space right) and don't always rush in with you dair when going for the kill. Wait for the right opportunity (the dair stuff might not be true since the speed was messed up, might have been openings taht were obvious to me). The major thing was your recovery from the ledge. In match 3 in particular you kept coming back onto the stage with a dair and got punished for it. Not really sure what all of links good recovery options are, but coming back with dair didn't work very well.

Very good looking link overall thought :)! Like I said before, when you spaced properly ike was getting like 150 damage when you only took 30.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Well I didn't read the first post about video speed til just now so before that i was thinking holy ****ing **** these guys are ****ing crazy pro status
but even so, you're link looks amazing to me although i havent really watched many link vids
looks like my falco would even have a tough time keeping up with your projectile spamming, so gj
1 thing i noticed in the first video i think it was, was that Ike was using the boomerang drag back to you to his advantage more than you were for yours, im not exactly sure of how you should use it but because you main link id say try to find some tricks to use this more to your advantage

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Heh, well when you are going against Wolf, a lot of times he gets behind you, but a well placed shorthop Nair will hit him and if he is to far away just dsmash or use the short hop BAIR. Keep in mind links *** does 10% dmg, when his foot only does like 5-7%. Awesome video though, I loved how much you dodge.

Force

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the pointers guys. I'll do my best to mix up my kill mechs and that shorthop Nair/Bair to roll punish is something i started doing at one point but hten forgot. Link is so diverse in his options for punishes that i forget certain things i find out. also.. i'll use boomerangs more diagonally upward to stop aerial pressure and also avoid people using my galerang's backswing as an approach. any suggestions for methods of landing F-tilts would help bigtime too if anyone knows. i sorta have a feel but in the middle of an intense game its hard for me to find time for it.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
What Luigi said, that guy knows whats up. But yea, if you space link properly and use projectiles well, I think he is much better. I am beating my brother's wolf now, and those games were a complete ****ing nightmare compared me beating his ness or lucas.

Legan

Smash Lord
Your really good without a doubt. You've got the potential to be a great link. I think you were letting your opponent live a little longer than he should have. As soon as he starts hitting the mid 100's then you should stop retreating and play more aggressive. You also missed a ton of opportunitys to jab lock Ike. Whenever your opponent misses a tech and lands right in front of you, you should go for a jab lock.
I never miss an opportunity and it's one of links best moves. Id also teach you some things about links pivot f-tilt but im too lazy to type it out right now.

jab lock-pro status
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1QYt771euA&feature=related

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
it's really annoying to judge given it's a time match, but whatever.

You're using the Gale Boomerang the wrong way while you're trying to edgeguard, instead of throwing it AT them, throw it to the opposite side and then just jump over it (if you did it right they should be completely ****ed). For more info see my unfinished guide.

Another thing is that you play close combat, which I think is personally distasteful. Look at my guide, since I really don't want to retype half the stuff that's already there in full detail.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
thanks guys, that jab lock looks orgasmic.... that **** is my style...... Time to hit up practice mode for 7 hours talk to you guys in a little while =)
i didnt know you were off already. i left my phone at home...

we doing anything today?

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Force, I saw one of your matches yesterday with Monk before the tourney was moved and I decided not to move along with everyone else. You put on a lot of pressure to him. I was talking to Monk on the way back and he said good things. I use Link a little bit, but Monk said he had to be at his top game to play you. It was cool watching you play. I just wished I had been able to get in a couple of rounds.

Legan

Smash Lord
Pivot Sliding-I use this as a surprise attack and ive pretty much mastered it.
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jdzQteqiA

Craq Walking-I dont have this technique completely downpacked, i have a much easier time doing it online.
How to Perform: While jumping, DI such that your character is moving backwards. Continue holding the joystick as your character touches the ground and completes a pivot, then release.
Effect: Character slides a good distance backwards, varying based on which character is being used. During this time, the character is counted as "walking," allowing you to do any attack in any direction. You may also hold the joystick after the pivot to continue into a walk.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
What is the craq walk? Is that where you do the weird fsmash that dodges? The Pivot Tilt, and Jab Lock are pretty awesome though.

Force

Smash Apprentice
I found out in training mode just now that if you come from beneath with a D-air it sends all spike momentum upward where if you hit them from above it bounces them off the ground first. i killed game and watch on yoshis at like 66% with an ascending D-air from beneath. also i found out Legan that the cragwalk is nice to do out of a back air and it sortof makes the F-tilt a dodge counter if they intend to dodge the original B-air. I was crag walking into a throw that way and it looked rather illusive. iunno, tell me what you think. BTW i think i got jab lock figured out now, seems kinda simple. I found a sick way other then galerang to get them on the ground is N-air into D-tilt at low percents they wont think to try and techroll. (oh and GDX just come over after work and lets brawl a bit)

Force

Smash Apprentice
oh legan also help me find out if this is possible or not, apparently you hit enemy with the hilt of your sword on the D-tilt to make it meteor smash, i'm trying to see if you can jab lock to the edge shorthop Z-air into a D-tilt spike or something of that sort. any link player with access to a wii try and figure this out with me, could be the thing that sends link to the top of the tier charts :)

Force

Smash Apprentice
just figured out this too, when you want an affective way to approach for a forwardsmash while you have a bomb in your hand. dash at them, then pivot really fast, it will cause your character to stall for just a half second, during that half second charge Z then mash forwards on the C stick. the act of pressing and holding Z while your character stalls at the pivot allows you to forwardsmash while the bomb is in your hands and it's an illusive approach. it has the same starting animation as the bomb slide too so if you've been bomb sliding hopefully your oponent will have beaten housewife syndrome from it and dodge the bomb that you don't throw to get hit by a charge Fsmash.

Force

Smash Apprentice
ledge-hop into an arrow cancel and then Dash cancel... i should go to practice mode every day this is my first time really doing it for an extended period of time on a character other than iceclimbers. I'm so creative.... if only i could borrow some actual skill on loan from one of you melee vets >:)

Force

Smash Apprentice
if you short hop forward after standing exactly on the glowing circles on battlefield it lines you up perfectly for the meteor D-tilt. also on FD there are 2 V looking things kindof like arrows, if you line your back foot up with the outter V on FD it lines you up for the meteor.

Force

Smash Apprentice
throw galerang diagonally then use the catching animation to cancel the D-air landing lag

edit- About that post down there
\/ my bad legan this is the first forum i've ever cared to pay attention too, didn't know there was an etiquete or somethin. sorry guys for all the posts, was brainstorming during practice mode.

Legan

Smash Lord
oh legan also help me find out if this is possible or not, apparently you hit enemy with the hilt of your sword on the D-tilt to make it meteor smash, i'm trying to see if you can jab lock to the edge shorthop Z-air into a D-tilt spike or something of that sort. any link player with access to a wii try and figure this out with me, could be the thing that sends link to the top of the tier charts :)
Yes it can be done, ive done it before. I dont think any trick is gunna send link to the top of the charts but i see some good ideas in there none the less.

Dude you gotta stop making all these seperate post, just make one post and edit them with all your different ideas.

Top Bottom