• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Jab Cancel Death Combo

Skylit

Smash Cadet
NNID
Skylit
Yes, it has been a secret for us Link mains. I started doing this since the 3DS days, but people are seriously over reacting to this.

From my experience, my opponents have always found a way to escape it(except for beginners). It becomes a true combo around 120 percent, which is redundant because you're at kill percent. Even then, you can get about 14 jabs in with precise timing. Though only a small amount of characters can get locked in at certain percents, landing the jab with the exact spacing in an actual match will be bothersome. Plus, they may be able to slowly escape by repeatedly jumping in the opposite direction. You will only get multiple jabs to death combos on rookies, not pros.

I've been working super hard on a Link Combo video the past month and this was a big highlight of it. Kinda mad it got out to the public but oh well lol. You guys haven't seen anything yet, Link is a really good character and I can't wait to showcase him soon.
You don't know what you're talking about. The combo counter in training should not be used for stuff like this. Landing a Jab is not bothersome. You cannot Jump. The effectiveness of this tech relies almost entirely upon the player executing it and the character it is being executed on (their percent being a factor is a given).
I don't know what I'm talking about? I have months of experience using this, I apologize if I wasn't specific enough. Allow me to rephrase. When your opponent is at a certain position during the jab lock (whether at the tip of the blade, closest to Link, or opponent not close to the ground), it can be easier to escape. A Ness was at the tip of my blade, slowly going further away and eventually jumped out of it. And yes I agree about the execution, I said in my post it works well with certain characters at certain percents. By the way, I'm not saying it's an infinite, it's no where close to one. a common move of mines is jab-jab-jab-DownSmash at kill percents. I talked about the combo counter just to state a fact that all characters get locked in high kill percents, that's all. I'm very knowledgeable about the limits of this.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
No character in the game has a standing grab release combo on any other character in the game.

The grab release victim always has a frame advantage, including all 3 of the characters you listed against Link.

You cannot jab someone out of a grab release, period. It's actually not even close.
Maybe you should go to training mode against those characters, because I'm telling you now for free that you are absolutely wrong.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Maybe you should go to training mode against those characters, because I'm telling you now for free that you are absolutely wrong.
The combo counter in training mode is not accurate. Robin can nosferatu into almost anything and have it count as a combo, I have a feeling it has something to do with escaping from grabs. Try it with a human opponent.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I literally had training mode open when I typed that. Grab released Villager has a frame advantage against Link.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm just letting everyone know that I've updated my post so that it now includes estimates for how many times Link can Jab each character as well as recommended starting percents for the characters who can just shield if you aren't perfect. The further testing ruled out a few characters as being worth doing this tech on as well as make some characters less significantly hurt by this tech than was first thought. Anyway, if you've been following this you'll want to check it out.
http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-techniques-here.379659/page-11#post-18513196

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I haven't tested with customs, but I'll look into Charizard's for you when I get a chance.
If a character is on a much higher percent they will obviously get Jabbed less, but it won't save you much if at all in terms of what percent you'll be taken to. So for example, Charizard will be taken to kill percents even if the Jabs are started more towards the kill percents. There are a lot of factors to keep in mind that simply aren't fully taken into account in the estimates given. If Link is on a higher percent himself his Jabs will do more knockback due to rage and so the starting percent will drop but the ending percent will also drop. The estimates are just my best attempt to give a rough idea what to expect and can and will vary, in some cases possibly even significantly.

Ok, @ #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu , I looked into it and it seems that the custom Rock Hurl does in fact help. It starts helping from around 69% on a fresh Jab. On a stale Jab it would be slightly later as you'd be hit up less high which would mean that the landing lag would still get in the way. It will help up until around 145% at which point the hitstun is simply too much to be of any realistic help, but something tells me you're not too worried about that XD. I'll add this info to the main post. So as a Charizard main, you'd want to try to shield for the earlier part in case the Link main messes up the timing, and then later, if you have the custom side-b, start trying to use that.
Thank you @ Fox Is Openly Deceptive Fox Is Openly Deceptive for testing this for me, I can't do it myself.

People should check if other customs can do the same.

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
Can you please post a video of it not hitting? Cause Ganondorf can spartan kick those 3 characters after a ground release, it registers in training as a combo and I'm pretty sure it's not as fast startup as Link's jab1.

Edit: OK, despite being too lazy to do this myself my Wii U is on and I'm in training lel.

On Ness it registers as a combo
On Villager it registers as a combo
On DHD it registers as a combo, but for some reason Link seems to go all buggery when pummeling him? Also the second hit of the jab combo misses, so I don't think Linky boy can re-jab the dog after.

Edit 2: You can grab, release, jab the dog, and cancel into more jabs.
You cannot validate Grab combos with training mode.
Training mode does not handle Grabs accurately.
I've gotten 190 combo with Luigi in training mode by
  1. Grab pummel ground-release a metaknight off stage
  2. Metaknight jumps to the ledge
  3. Metaknight grabs the ledge
  4. Metaknight Ledge Hops
  5. I regrab Metaknight
  6. Repeat
I could have easily gone up to 999

Obviously this is no combo.
EDIT: here's a quick vid

I can make Training mode say that Grab release > fully charged PK Flash/warlock punch/falcon punch combos

Last edited:

Pyr

Smash Lord
Last edited:
Top Bottom