• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Impression, Play Style, Bomb Tricks, and Others.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
IMPRESSION

All his A ground moves have been a big plus in my book. All his attacks swipes a good range. Up Smash has been given a better stickiness and range which makes all the swings a threat. It's doesn't recovery almost instantly as it did in Melee, but it's still very fast making it a very good defensive move. Forward Smash has good range and knock back. Down Smash good as always. And it seems all Link's Smashes comes out fast and I've found you can Smash out of the shield pretty easy and effective. Up tilt covers a very good range and pretty fast. Forward tilt covers good bit and has some good knock back, but I prefer to do one Forward Smash. Down Tilt is a bit faster and still not that useful, but it is "better." Everyone jabs are better...Link has range jabs. Only bad thing is they took away the Sword Illusion.

Link's disappointment comes more from the air. His sex kick is more of a quick in and out kick now. In Melee it made Link a body of priority until he is not in any part of the move. In the beginning of Brawl, when it didn't come out in the US yet, I heard people say that it's still good and it's longer because Link is taller. But it seems that's all looks. I find that does not hit where would be in Melee. When I tested the sex kick, I could not drop onto Kirby with the end (soles) of my boots. Kirby had to be where the ankle is. I think Link's whole body isn't the attack anymore. The priority is still there, but how it hits isn't as good anymore. It's also very had to spam back to back.

Forward Air had some good praise. I find it "okay." The swings seem to be short if you compare it to Link's other sword attacks. seems like it should be longer. I rather it hit the way it did in Melee where they had one very strong initial swing than the two good swings in Brawl. Loses it's effectiveness against short characters. Good nonetheless.

Back air had some bad praise. Probably because people wanted to be able to combo with it. I personally like it for the way Link plays now. It hits hard enough for Link to get some space so he can spam and it seems to be easier to connect with. Seems you can spam this move. Also loses some effectiveness against short characters.

Up air the same, but has tad more range. Without L-cancel makes it an once in a while occurance.

Down air seems to be a bit stronger. Without L-cancel makes it a RARE occurance. I find that you should use it if you get knock very high in the air where you have time to finish the animation so that you discourage any follow up from below.

Arrows...fast and has range even if there is the lack of charge. A lot more effective now.

Bombs are better. But all items are easier to catch. WTF, Nintendo. That's so stupid and it makes no sense for people to catch it in mid attack.

Gale boomerang... It has it moments. I rather have it original since the whirlwind only seems to be useful at random and once in a while times. You really have to keep track of where it is now. Be prepared to throw out some jabs or something when it catches your opponent.

Hookshot... Shorter? In the games he shots across rooms! Why? WHY?! Using to recovery is limited an situational now... Most of the time better to Spin Attack to recover.

Spin Attack nerfed...bad. Only hits on the side and it's does have that much range. It only has only slightly more range on the sides that is than the Up Smash. I'd even dare say Up Tilt has more side range than the Spin Attack now. Up Smash has probably a bit more speed on start up and a lot less recovery time making it a better choice to do out of the shield than the Spin Attack. If the opponent try to DI out of Up Smash side range than Forward Smash the his/her direction. Nearly no reason to use it on the ground now.

Link's recovery is actually okay. But when you compared it to other characters you realize it's bad. And he's easy to screw over when recovering.

Link is looking mid tier in my book. He may even be low since it looks like he has to play a more defensive game. We all should know it's easier to attack than it is to defend, right? The game is looking more "balance" so don't let that discourage you from playing Link.

PLAY STYLE

This is my opinion about Link. Please note that I said "my opinion." The more I play Link the more I feel like he was designed to be a "spamming tank." He doesn't seem to have a solid approach however his projectiles are very useful and seem to be the best choice for building up damage. Gale Boomerang...well it has it moments. His sword properties, actually all of his moves, seems to be designed to push back hard and the range on them are very good for spacing. He can cover a wide arch with his sword swings to cover himself yet he can't really follow up any where with the exception of maybe three Up Tilts. All this gives him a good motivation to be a tank. His bad recovery gives him real reason to be a tank.

There are a few people who seem to be about combo-ing with Link. I'm not saying that you're wrong, but IMO Link could never really combo. Even in Melee his solid combos were still short, but they do hit fairly hard. For the most parts all Brawl characters can't combo as well when compared to Melee so wouldn't a character with already short combos in Melee be reduce to even less combo ability compared to others? In Melee, when I played Link I was focus in spamming (disappointed in easy to catch items in Brawl) and interrupting (disappointed in the sex kick a bit in Brawl) and combo-ing when I can.

This time around Link damages come from his projectiles and any damage he racks on by being defensive.

BOMB TACTICS/TRICKS

One trick I found was you can drop a bomb with Z and IMMEDIATELY do any A aerial attack can catch the when you execute your move.

This does apply to every item. I'll refer to it as ZAC for Z drop, A Attack, Catch when I speak of it. If it sticks, it sticks. If people
decide it's not worthy enough for a name then so be it. It's faster for me to type ZAC then to explain it every time.

With the typical competitive rules, Link, Toon Link, and Peach will be able to pull out their own items and have access to ZAC.

ZAC can be done with C-Stick. You just need to make sure that the bomb and Link are together when you execute an A move.

I'm having trouble finding a practical use for ZAC when playing Link. If you plan to ZAC, I find that you need to spam bombs in other
directions to create randomness otherwise you'll be predicable when you pull out a bomb. Also, ZAC requires you to get close and I find that playing a spamming tank most effective as Link so it creates a conflict in style.

The problem I found with ZAC and Link is that if the does drop on the opponent it will explode and interrupt any follows the opponent and you had planned.

On the plus side, there are times when I play and my opponent accidentally grab the bomb when I was crossing over with it which cause him to do a catching animation while I perform an attack. This only works if he's on the ground and trying to counter attack, though. Another plus if there have been times where both my opponent and I were in the air and I perform ZAC and he perform and attack at the same time. I lost the clash, but he also hit the bomb which cause lost in the momentum of his attack and interrupted any follow ups.

I explored ZAC because I was hoping that I would help Link's offensive approach. However, ZAC is turning out to be more of a mind game option and more of an interrupter.

Toon Link has very floaty physics which I found made it hard to do this trick. Although I haven't messed with Peach, from what I can get Peach will probably be able to use this trick more effectively since she won't have to worry about explosions.

Apparently some people seen and done this before and decide not to share or discuss this for whatever reason. Some even come and post some criticism. I'm guessing it's because I said I want "credit." Let me clear it up. I want some acknowledgment as a good contributor to the forums. That's the credit I'm looking for. If you want to go out of your way to post irrelevant info or just to state that you knew it already and that's it than that's how you choose to waste your time, I guess.

OTHER TACTICS/TRICKS

Link seem to have all fast smashes now. I found that Link can smash out of his shield in any direction. Follow your opponent's movements as you shield his attacks and be prepared to counter attack.

Just Down Air when you're knock high into the air. This discourage any follow up attacks. And if your opponent risks attacking Link he'll be at risk at trading blows with a high vertical knock back move in the air which can kill light characters at low percentages.

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
Can you make a Vid...

this sounds really interesting...

as i always hated when link had the bomb and ur oppents get too close as it lowers his attacking options...

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I'm liking the sound of this! I've always wanted to be able to do this in melee! I'm sure this works with any item, right? Like Diddy's bananas.

GenoBlast

Smash Ace
Im afraid ive you wernt the first to do the za bomb ive already seen it in one of the early link videos. I think it was J666 that pulled it off in one of the early tourneys. Id like to play you tho since you seem to know alot about link.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Either way, I'm going to still explore this trick to see if it's effective or not. I'm sure other realize that this was possible and may of shrugged it off, but I'd like to think I'm the first one to explore this aspect.

I'll make a video of this later. I've forgotten my video capture device in my hometown and my spring break is next week. So I may not be able to get a video out until near the end of this month. Which may be better this way so I can figure out some ideas with this trick and put them into videos and not just have a 10 second video.

To get a idea of what this looks like, just go into training. Pick Link and go to preferably Final Destination. Pull out a bomb. Short hop and press Z and hit A immediately afterwards. You can try Link's other A aerials. You can do this with all C stick moves.

I don't mind taking challenges. As of right now I'm more into unlocking everything and training for tournaments. I won my local Gamestop tournament (with Link) so I need to be training this whole week and then next week I'll be busy with my family and friends for spring break.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I remember seeing a Peach do a fair while holding a turnip once in a video from a while ago. I had no idea how she managed it at the time, but it must have been this. It seems really handy, and should help make Link even less predictable (which is ALWAYS good with a playstyle like his).

A couple of questions: does the control stick have to be neutral when you hit Z, or does it not matter? And will you still catch it if you use the C-stick to do the aerial? (I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that you can, but I'm not positive)

Vinnie275

Smash Master
Xdadepsak's Closet, along with Ender, Mkiller, and
FIRST OFF

I've been able to conclude that the N-air and the F-air knocks opponents forward. It varies from percentages, typically works better if the opponent is at a decent percentage, but you can short hop Link's N-air or F-air and if it connects you can throw the bomb afterwards for somewhat effective linking attacks.
Not too sure how effective this is without low damage, the opponent is going to be able to tech after the bomb throw at "decent percentage" as you suggested, but perhaps a neutral attack can follow up if they are at low percentage.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
To answer a few questions,

Wyvern,

When you hit Z to drop the bomb you do have to have the control stick on neutral then do the attack. It is easy to do it with N-air and a bit tricky with with F-air and B-air. Also, you can indeed catch items with the C-Stick. I guess somehow I was a bit confusing on that.

Okay, I've messed around with this more in real battle.

Vinnie275,

The percentages I meant when I say N-air and F-air are at percentages doesn't knock the opponent off the feet for them to have the chance to tech.

NEW INFO

Now I've been playing Brawl with a friend for a while and I tested this in a few battles. He plays Ike so here are some things I notice.

N-air is indeed the best choice to do this trick. It's just easy to do with it and overall more effective than other moves.

F-air is possible but it seems to require some planning, certain situations, and set up time to be effective I don't have many chances or the time for the set up to be effective. But maybe I'm playing against Ike and I just can't beat him out with sword attacks with incorporating a bomb.

B-air, I honestly didn't even try it with B-air when it was so much easier with N-air.

Alright, some applications.

Spamming bomb "style." If you use a lot of bombs it can make your bombs kind of hard to predict. Cause you'll have to mix yourself up with actually throwing the bomb forward or doing the ZAbomb. However, you have to consistently mix up how you use your bombs to be hard to predict. I lose some effectiveness of other projectiles (at least I did for now) because I was so focus on bombs (old Melee habit).

It seems this trick has some use as a safe guard for Link. I was able to mess up my friend many times because he would catch the bomb when trying to counter my aerial attack and it would stop his attack and throw him off his game. Sometimes when he hit me with an attack while I'm doing ZABomb, he would also hit the bomb causing it to explode which stops him from continuing any attacks. Saved me a few times from KOs.

It seems this would be good for low percentages, I found that it's better to use this trick when your opponent's percentage is high. I found that using arrows and the boomerang and spacing to racking up damage better for low percentages because it puts you out of harms way. Having the bomb in your hand also prevents you from Smashing Up out of your shield to get away. Using bombs when your opponent is higher percentages may help open opportunities to land a strong attack to KO.

Now, essentially I did stop messing with this trick since I'm trying to get him better at the game and started to abuse tactics that were easy to do works. Playing keep away with arrows and boomerang, Smashing out of the shield, and spacing the kicks.

This trick requires a bit of practice to do it consistently. Not like wavedashing in Melee or anything and I am trying to play for fun for the time being.

I'll try to refine this trick in time and let you guys know how good it would be.

Skler

Smash Master
I say we just call it recatching a bomb with an attack. It's just catching an item, you can do it with any item so I wouldn't call this an advanced tech or even character specific (any character can catch items while attacking). Please don't name this technique anything, it's just the game doing what it's supposed to do.

As far as usefulness goes I wouldn't call it a comboer. It seems to be a good defensive move when used with the fair (since nobody can close the space between a link fair before link can toss a bomb), but any other move lacks the range or priority to be useful against a skilled opponent.

Legan

Smash Lord
ANY character can do this trick. Ive been doing it from the first day i got the game. Its nothing special and its not that incredibly useful.

exo5

Smash Rookie
Its not much of a move but I have found it effective.
I guess its your up A button attack(?) its upward swipe.

Reguardless is sends the opponent upwards in the air. After this use the bomb, Double Jump up, and throw it up into the air. If you get your timing right when the bomb reaches its highest point your foe will be comming down and trigger the explosion.

It works well on 1v1 and might even get you that needed KO.

D

Deleted member

does link have enough air time to za bomb throw?
what i mean by that is - drop bomb, air atk, re-grab bomb, throw

also, does bomb throwing in the air cancel lag time upon landing?

exo5

Smash Rookie
does link have enough air time to za bomb throw?
what i mean by that is - drop bomb, air atk, re-grab bomb, throw

also, does bomb throwing in the air cancel lag time upon landing?
Hmm... As far as your first question this might work but the longer the foe is in the air the more they can move around which could take them out of range of the bomb.

It might have just been a single jump.... The attack is suposed to be a quick one... as far as the landing goes I am not exactly sure if there is a delay or not. Its a "must be times and done right" move to work.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Skylr,

I never said this was an "advance tech," I referred to it as a "trick."

I think there is a misunderstanding when I said I want to "name" this trick. I'm trying to give this trick a quick "reference name" so when it's talked about it can be quickly understood. I wanted this to have a practical abbreviation and didn't want someone to coin this trick some crazy name.

But you're right, Skyler. This does apply to every item. I'll refer to it as ZAC for Z drop, A Attack, Catch when I speak of it. If it sticks, it sticks. If people decide it's not worthy enough for a name then so be it. It's faster for me to type ZAC then to explain it every time.

ArkiveZero,

When you ZAC, when you perform your attack you automatically catch the bomb with no catching animation when performing your attack. Landing lag will be normal, that's why I say the Nair is easy to use because it's easy to perform with and has fast landing recovery

You can not do anything with the bomb when you're in the middle of an attack. I tried to ZAC then hit Z again to see if I can drop it and it does not work.

I thought of a bomb idea, but I need to try it in battle to see if it actually works. If you try to Z drop a bomb and wait a second and do a Nair cross up it creates sort of a "safe" cross over. If the opponent tries to grab you, the bomb with hit the ground and explode and interrupt. If they try to counter with an ground A move, I think they will do a bomb catching animation instead of an attack which will connect the Nair.

I'll need to test this with a friend to confirm this and try it in battle to see if it's even practical.

I'll reformat my original post to fix the "naming" issue and all. I'll include any new applications and details I've found with bombs.

D

Deleted member

i was using this yesterday, you can short hop bow to bomb throw (probably not the best place to post this right?)

on the ZA bomb throw, it seems that either its not possible or you have to c stick right on the first frame you get a chance to throw

ill do better testing today lol... (we were unlocking all the characters....)

EDGE586

Smash Cadet
can some make a vid of this plz...

i wanna see it in action...

really wanna see how it works...

would help links game alot...

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
ArkiveZero,

You have to hit A or C Stick immediately after you Z Drop the bomb. Also I want to point out that the bomb and Link's body need to be together.

EDGE586,

I know I'm not going to have the chance to make a video until 2 weeks. Other people are probably busying playing Brawl for now. You might just want to test this in Training Mode yourself to get an idea.

Professer-MMP

Smash Rookie
This is new... I found this out when I first had the game and was testing all the new items. You don't have to use ZA to get them... I found that while fairing with Marth I would catch any item thrown at me. Try that just spam A as the item gets close to you and you grab it and preform the directioned aerial.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
you discovered this?

i did this a lot by accident and then on purpose. i'm sure many people have already done this.

you just made a thread

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Alright, I reformatted the topic. It includes more topics now but the idea is still there. Share your Link experiences.

Top Bottom