• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Hatred

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
So I'm wonderin why Link is so horribly hated? I mean, rating him lower than DK? That's messed up. Sure, his recovery sucks terribly, but any skilled player knows how to time his bombs for that third jump. :cool:

But seriously, Link pwnz, he's got the best range in the game AND the Master sword... I swear I'd be invincible at this game if only the Goron suit worked like in OOT and I had the mirror shield (OOT edition)
Rofl.

Anyways, back to why I posted this, besides his recovery, can anyone add any reasons as to why he's rated the lowest in all of your books?

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
Meh, the problem with his throw is you can't be a newb about it. Gotta shield stun or land a hit before ya bust out the hookshot, it's not like them lil faster characters where you just run around hitting R for your life.

Rupus

BRoomer
BRoomer
So I'm wonderin why Link is so horribly hated? I mean, rating him lower than DK? That's messed up. Sure, his recovery sucks terribly, but any skilled player knows how to time his bombs for that third jump. :cool:

But seriously, Link pwnz, he's got the best range in the game AND the Master sword... I swear I'd be invincible at this game if only the Goron suit worked like in OOT and I had the mirror shield (OOT edition)
Rofl.

Anyways, back to why I posted this, besides his recovery, can anyone add any reasons as to why he's rated the lowest in all of your books?
Link isn't hated. I see lots of people play as him online, he's a very fun character to use.

The thing is, he has very little options out of shield, which you'll probably find yourself using quite a bit in competitive play. His recovery, as you say, is rubbish. But using bombs for the third jump? I hope you're not referring to bomb tech from SSBM.

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
Wha? I'm sayin, like..... you've gotta bomb, and you either get smashed and you're bouts to go ultra far, either to death or to a point of no return, bomb blows up midway allowing recovery.

Or, you get smashed, you're on your way back, you use your up-B, bomb blows up, up-B again, and you're safe.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Except you're going to need to have the bomb out already before you get hit off, because there's not enough time to pull one out and let it explode before you're too far down to make it back. So it's mostly pointless.

Link is a great character otherwise.

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
Of course you're gonna have to, but having a bomb in hand is always.... umm, handy? If nothing else, in a multi-hit attack, there's a chance you'll drop it and blow away your opponent, allowing you to escape and whatnot.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
The bomb recoveriy has been tested. Unless someone says other wise, the direction in which it sends you after explosion is random. Probably can be controlled but its random for now, and if it sends you the opposite way, u just gave urself pointless damage and did nothing for your recovery.

Link has UpB out of shield if that was missed. He's just underrated. Rangs are like his jabs and he's got good stuff. Just really lousy return and u need that when 3/4 people playing like to take you off the stage wit a combo with ease.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
how do you time your bomb to blow up to help with 3rd jump?
you can't control when the bomb blows up in your hands.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Okay, now you're dodging the questions to the point you were trying to make when you made this topic.

how do you time your bomb to blow up to help with 3rd jump?

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
You've pretty much just gotta have it in hand, when ya get hit off, if you don't need it to get back, ya toss it, otherwise you just hold on and pray. I'm not as good as I used to be with the timing on my bombs (Lol, invisible bomb FTW!) But you can judge the timing and hope to get lucky, I've had it happen many a time, sometimes it goes off after a major hit, and you're expecting to die, yet you blow up, +5% to yourself and you're still on screen far away enough to toss a boomerang and be back in action.

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
praying? I dont see at all what that has to do with timing.
being able to "time the bomb" is totally different from "holding on and praying and hope you get lucky"

and how are you going to always have a bomb in hand? you can't attack with the bomb in your hand, and when you want to attack, you will throw your bomb first, hence, no more bomb in your hand.

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
B-attacks FTW, and you're the one who asked "how do you time your bomb"

It's called learning how much time you have left before it blows up...

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Pwn, the point is, you dont want contunual bombs in your hand wich is the only way to make ur ideology work. That cruches your playing making u go on the defensive. were sayin ull be too busy fightin to think about pulling out a bomb everytime u "forsee" an attack. And you're opponant can make decisions to see the bomb ahead of time and not hit you. Mindgame son?

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
Fa sho, I'm just saying, if you're at a high damage, and things are lookin bad, you can always fall back, rely on boomerangs and bombs, have one out once he passes your range, you get hit, ya still have a chance to be in it. I'm not saying it's a fa sho, all the time thing, but it increases your chances, I've had it happen in many a matches.

And you wanna know skillz with timing the bomb? One time one DK's level, Pika picked up hammer, hit me once, sends me up in the air, I dropped down, takin a bomb out while doin so, grabbed the ledge, barrel came quick luckily, down into that, waited, and SHOT OUT (Angled too) HITTING HIM AT THE EXACT MOMENT THE BOMB BLEW UP, I swear to Gawd.

And I'm too lazy to watch that vid ATM, my net sucks, what happened?

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Kay, so I guess now you're totally contradicting what you wrote in the beginning with
"Sure, his recovery sucks terribly, but any skilled player knows how to time his bombs for that third jump. "
I guess Im not skilled enough to know how to time his bombs.

PwnYouBoomerangStyle

Smash Cadet
Are you talking about that first blow that would have killed you from Isai and you blew up and saved yourself? Because I've been letting it load and that's just where it got to.

That's exactly what I'm talkin bouts, You don't have to have it out ALL the time, just when you're up at higher damages. And shush with your talk about "not skilled enough".

I'm botherin to watch your vid on 32K, that implies something towards your skillz. ;)

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Both ur situations have a bit of luck in them. U cant rely towards it all the time. Its something to keep in the back of ur head. As when ur doing it, u cant do many other things while ur waiting.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
smash has been played for so long that if holding a bomb was that effective of a move, it would be in the advanced tactics section. link is best played by using distance to his advantage. of course it sucks that he isn't the fastest player in the game... but if you can play well as him, more power to ya.

and lol for describing your link experiences with text, "I swear to gawd". we're in the youtube era, vids or it didn't happen... lol.

Sensei

Smash Lord
Link is the most boringingest character. All I see link players too is throw bombs and boomies like sissies. They need to get into the fray. Use someone better like kirby.

Umbrasquall

Smash Ace
Online works in Vista. Check out my troubleshooting guide.

Yes, Kirby's like the worst character ever and a guaranteed loss to anyone who uses him. I don't understand how anyone can stand up to the mighty master sword.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
You gotta super preassure link to beat him, and that's how most characters play. The rangs and bombs are the only things he has because unless he gets an obsenely obvious Fair onto the opponant, the only other choice is to catch them off an explosion or something else. Spacing then go in. Not kamikazi

So....link's not too hard to preassure on small stages like kirby but he's good big ones, thats how i see it.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Well in my oppinion heres how most people start on kaillria.
They start as a character there good with on melee when they start playing.
They soon relize how awsome kirby is (But they dont relize how cheap he is eather)
They get tired of being called a noob then they switch to link. Why do they switch to link? I Dont know but I did after i left my kirby stage and so did alot of people i know. So...I Guess he's hated cuss alot of noobs play as him. I dont really know any pros that use him except isai and nephiros...That's on SSB64 though. Theres some good links on melee *Cough* The germ *Cough*

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Ya. I think its his 2nd best. I got lucky and beat him once. But he was in a hurry and an overall score of his link vs me is 1-99999999999999999999999999999. The 1 is me T_T

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Fox's laser has a lot more potential then Link's boomerang, since you can spam Fox's lasers much faster and more
and I don't think it's any hard to get DK punch charged; you say it as though Link's boomerang covers the whole stage

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Ya, the one rang at a time thing is the only thing from making it godly. But other than that, u basically gotta hit with it directly the first time or ur without a rang for a little while.

Top Bottom