• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link combos?

D

Deleted member

There are so many that lead into so many. Go into training mode and grind out some combos against some CPUs. Zair, nair, bair, dtilt, utilt, double jab, dsmash (at low percents), and dthrow are all very good combo tools with Link. Boomerang can be a combo tool while maintaining distance, probably the number one move you should put practice into. Honestly I can't find a good use for ftilt that any of Link's other moves do better other than spacing when the opponent approaches from above.

Last edited by a moderator:

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I would check out the discussion thread for Link. As everyone has already said. Many of Links' moves chain into one another quite nicely. Down throw>short hop(or full hop depending on percent)>down air is a great kill move at mid/mid-high percents on medium weights. Also down throw>up tilt>up tilt>dash attack>dash attack>Nair. I think some of Links' best neutral options are his boomerang and his tilts. His dash attack and up tilt chain into each other seamlessly and rack up percent nicely due to there being low start up and ending lag on them. Boomerang>Dair is a good one for KO confirms. Zair(sweet spotted)>Dair/Fair. Down throw>Up b is amazing on fast fallers(mainly spacies/Diddy Kong/Captain Falcon). These are all examples. Experiment and create your own. You're bound to find combos that are useful. Smashboards is an amazing tool. I learned a lot of what I know from Smashboards. You will too in due time. Be creative!

Last edited:

JesteRace

Smash Journeyman
One of my favorite combos I've pulled off so far is nair>jabx2>dthrow>utiltx2>bair>dacus. I get a lot of kills on heavy characters with a returning rang linked to a fair. I suspect a lot of good combos can get started by paying more attention to where the rang goes if it doesn't hit initially.

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Dash Attack > Dash Attack
+lower percents on most characters
+works by moving forward with opponent's DI, or by moving back-and-forth
+major use is positioning opponent onto a platform to set up for some kind of tech chase
-Dash Attack itself is slow on whiff and on startup

Jab > Jab2 > d-Tilt
+works at nearly any percent on most weight classes (barring floaties)
+two confirming hits lead into it, giving you plenty of time to plan the d-Tilt option
+leads easily into aerial options
-can tend to whiff on floatier characters, especially at higher percents

Jab > Jab2 > d-Smash
+Good kill setup at higher percents
+Covers a large range
-Slower setup

Jab > Jab2 > u-Tilt
+works on most lower percents on characters generally heavier than Sheik
+DI choices lead into Dash Attack openings or other aerial followups
+u-Tilt chains into itself at lower percents
-Opponent can avoid by DI'ing away

Jab > Jab2 > n-Air
+like the other Jab > Jab2 openers, works at most earlier/middle percents on middleweight+ characters
+A good 'GTFO' string that can shove opponent's off the stage when positioned near or at the edge
-Short ranged compared to the other Jab strings
-No disjoint on n-Air option

Jab > Jab2 > Grab
+Grab itself leads into many of Link's options
+Leads directly into d-Throw > d-Throw 'Helm Splitter' finisher
-Slow on whiff, goes without saying

Those are just a few basic ones to keep in mind. Most of what Link can do feels fairly intuitive.

Fortress

Smash Master
Here are some strings that I really like to use.

On middle-weight characters of average falling speed at lower percents (think: around Link's weight):

(If they DI away on Jab2)
Jab > Jab2 > dTilt > dash attack > bAir > uSpecial

(If they DI neutral on Jab2)
Jab > Jab2 > uTilt* > bAir > dash attack

*until string seems escapable

Jab > Jab2 > dTilt > grab (if hand hitbox is possible) > pummel once > dThrow > dAir

Jab > Jab2 > fTilt > zAir > dAir

Grab > fThrow > Grab (hand grab-box) > fThrow > DACUS

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999

An old one that I like. I've gotten much better stuff recently, but no recording so sadface. I wish replays worked. e_e

Top Bottom