• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Rizen

Smash Legend
I was at this drop in art thing sketching a perspective thing for 3 hours then went home and typed too much and now my wrist hurts- again. Goddamnit. The country's in an appalling cluster****. idk why i even get up in the mornings. i'm so sick of egregious c***.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Oh hey. Been awhile.

Speaking of the DLC, I need to get that sometime. Probably won't be for awhile since I have Monster Hunter World coming up next week and I'm still playing the new Assassin's Creed and whatnot

Rizen

Smash Legend
Oh hey. Been awhile.

Speaking of the DLC, I need to get that sometime. Probably won't be for awhile since I have Monster Hunter World coming up next week and I'm still playing the new Assassin's Creed and whatnot
MHWorld looks awesome. I have mine reserved. It validates my decision to buy a PS4 instead of a switch because switch is only getting a hd port of the hand held MH XX that looks like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http://www.handheldplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/monster-hunter-xx-nintendo-switch-20170626-002.jpg&f=1
And MHWorld looks like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u...-world-wildspire-waste-screenshot-010.jpg&f=1

edit, stupid forum can't even show jpegs.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
MHWorld looks awesome. I have mine reserved. It validates my decision to buy a PS4 instead of a switch because switch is only getting a hd port of the hand held MH XX that looks like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http://www.handheldplayers.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/monster-hunter-xx-nintendo-switch-20170626-002.jpg&f=1
And MHWorld looks like this:

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http://fextralife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/monster-hunter-world-wildspire-waste-screenshot-010.jpg&f=1

edit, stupid forum can't even show jpegs.
XX for the switch isn't even coming to the west either. I thought about playing it in Japanese but since I didn't know anyone who was going to do that with me I didn't bother.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Weekly smash tourneys are back after winter break so that's fun.

The BotW DLC isn't bad but rather the amount of content doesn't stack up to other open world DLC packs of similar value.

My internet's stuttery. This happened before, some d-bag put an illegal splitter on the box outside my apt. At least they lose their splitter when Century Link employees fix the issue.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
The BotW DLC isn't bad but rather the amount of content doesn't stack up to other open world DLC packs of similar value.
This doesn't really surprise me. They did a fine job enough just having a fantastic open world game but I didn't expect them to do well on making DLC so much since that isn't something they've really done before. At least not to this extent.

My internet's stuttery. This happened before, some d-bag put an illegal splitter on the box outside my apt. At least they lose their splitter when Century Link employees fix the issue.
Hopefully someone isn't being a jerk this time...or maybe hopefully because then it's an easy fix?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
These forums are dying :urg:

Monster Hunter World is a blast. There were some server issues at first but they got patched. My internet's probably been slower since net neutrality was repealed, several people have said the same :mad:. Anyway back to MHW, I love the interactive, multi-tiered environments. At first I was skeptical of the scoutflies but they ended up being the perfect addition to the more complex areas and subtle gathering points. Actually tracking and researching monsters gives the game more of a hunting feeling, unlike previous MH games that were closer to boss rushes. It keeps the signature cheesiness and every NPC has a surreal happy-go-lucky attitude like someone hands out poppy-seed muffins each morning. Monster turf wars are awesome. The graphics and environments are amazing, although I've only gotten to the rotten vale so far and it's as plesant as it sounds :/

Other than that I've been catching up on AGDQ speedruns. Trying to take things one day at a time.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I'm loving this game. It is killing my sleep schedule. I only have like 60 hours in it and I wish I could have more. It's a bit of the shame that the monster roster is kinda small compared to the last few games but that's alright because they are so well made. I am excited for them to continually release monsters and hopefully expansions.

Rizen

Smash Legend
My cat is driving me crazy-er than usual. She's always needy but is turning 2 in a week and going through a naughty phase. She keeps trying to chew up the papers on my drafting board. I put her in timeout (bathroom with the door closed) 4 times already and the last time she bit my hand. Usually she doesn't do that. The old spray bottle stopped working for no apparent reason so I bought a replacement yesterday. She's been sprayed 3 times already for the same offense.
Last night she woke me up at 3 AM by bringing her toy pom pom on my bed and going crazy with it.

In other news I got to high rank quests in MHWorld.

Monday edit, my cat's been behaving better.

I found a funny youtube animation ssbb satire called 'What if smashbros was realistic' that had wry adult humor like having Link be a washed up former smash champion who's addicted to milk (alcohol, same as in Majora's Mask) and married to a Chancey. Link had a British a-hole accent and the guy who did the animation had good comedic timing. There were 2 episodes each half an hour long.
Sadly the channel got taken down, probably due to copyright infringement despite 'fair use' laws. Youtube is not friendly to satirical content creators.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm in a really rotten mood. I went to the rec center but pushed myself too hard and threw up. Happy Hallmark black friday.

edit, feeling better today. The sickness didn't last long. I beat MHWorld and went to the weekly smash tournament. I beat 3 people before being knocked out and the loses were close so not bad.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
How's everyone?

I've been playing a lot of MH World. It's fun but getting boring. I'll be glad when DLC monsters come out. What's it tell you about the Sonic fanbase when you see the username 'Sanic69'? (rhetorical question)

I saved up and bought a nice Hart Schaffner Marx Men's Burnett Trench Coat. It looks good on me :smirk:.

Otherwise I'm not doing well, tbt.
Someone on another site posted an insightful excerpt from "Modern Despots," that helped give me some perspective on current events.
"Dictatorial propaganda demands obedience and even considerable financial and other sacrifices; but by way of compensation it assures the individual that, as a member of a chosen nation, race, or class, he is superior to all other individuals in the world; it dissipates his sense of personal inferiority by investing him with the vicarious glory of the community; it gives him reasons for thinking well of himself; it provides him with enemies whom he may blame for his own shortcomings and upon whom he may vent his latent brutality and love of bullying. Dictatorial propaganda, which is always nationalistic or revolutionary propaganda, encourages men and women to give free rein to their pride, vanity, and other egotistical tendencies, and provides them with psychological devices for overcoming their sense of personal inferiority. Dictatorial propaganda promotes the ugly reality of prejudice and passion to the rank of an ideal. .... All individuals seek justifications for such passions as envy, hatred, avarice, and cruelty; by means of nationalistic and revolutionary propaganda dictators provide them with such justifications."

From "Modern Despots," an excerpt from "Notes on Propaganda" by Aldous Huxley, published by Harper's Magazine in 1936.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Yep.
There's a really good Ganon player at the weeklies I go to. I lost to him 1-2. He's great at PSing, bursting, intercepting and punishing landings. Link wins the MU but Ganon's strong at close range and just as fast. I have trouble landing the killing blow.
That's the nice thing about relatively small regions: high character variety.
Edit, been researching the MU. Here's a good video on what to do vs Ganon:

I tried to take my cat for a walk but she almost immediately figured out how to back against the leash and slip out of her harness. She's very smart but gets bored with her toys quickly.

Still playing Monster Hunter World. I'll be glad when the Deviljho update is released.

I had some free time and sketched the cover of Time magazine.

My scanner does not capture shading well :(

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Here's an interesting MM regional difference/cut content video:
so...

What do you guys think will happen with BOTW Link in Smash Switch?

:135:
I like smash to have as realistic as possible character models. It ads to the wonky platformer/launch style. Link getting the BotW model saddens me.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I like smash to have as realistic as possible character models. It ads to the wonky platformer/launch style. Link getting the BotW model saddens me.
Well that sort of sucks. I mean, personally speaking I prefer BOTW model of TP, but I am wondering whether or not if they will give like an alt costume for his classic Green clothes

:135:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I wish you could dye the champion's tunic in BotW. I like my Link green.

I entered a random character bracket and got to round 5 but only to round 3 in the main bracket with Link. TBH I'm getting tired of playing a bad character who gets out-buttoned by 2/3rds the cast. Link just isn't good.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Rizen Rizen , is it possible for you to give me tips on how to deal with Samus? Most Samus mains I find love to roll to one side to charge their Charge Shot, and it is hard for me to successfully counter it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Rizen Rizen , is it possible for you to give me tips on how to deal with Samus? Most Samus mains I find love to roll to one side to charge their Charge Shot, and it is hard for me to successfully counter it.
First, strike FD; she can landing trap you hard there. Bombs will cancel fully charged shots (CS) so liberally toss them around when you're camping her because charged shots eat through arrows and boomerang. If you Z drop a bomb on the ground in front of you it will stop her ground CS and let you safely charge an arrow. Nair cancels her missiles. Samus has a great dash attack to start combos and much better frame data close up but is tall and loses the spam war. Beware that DA has deceptive disjoint in front of her. A good distance to keep her at is the edge of where bomb f-throws reach. Don't be baited into rushing in to stop her charging; you need projectile cover. Her vertical spamming is limited to cruddy homing missiles so make good use of platforms when playing keep away. She can quickly ascend with high jumps and screw attacks so be careful and cover landings with Nair.

In CQC Samus wins at DA burst range, Link wins by spacing so his master sword barely reaches her and she wins again closer than that so it's a weird spacing battle. You want to pressure her with sword attacks but don't be too far or they'll wiff and she can burst in. Screw attacks pass through bombs thrown down because they are put into "hitstun" by the weak chain of hits, this is why Nair is handy. It wins trades with weak hits. Her Fair is about as long as our swords but loses hard to pivot Fsmash/tilt. Take advantage of her slow fall speed and Link's amazing FF to attack her from below. Because her weight and floatiness, Dthrow doesn't have any followups so you might as well throw her offstage. Also there's a weird distance about the length of BF that her Zair tipper hits quickly so be aware of that spacing when on the same horizontal level.

BF's what I'd counterpick.

tl;dr
Spam hard to create openings, abuse platforms and Link's superior landing game.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I had a bad day today so of course when I got to the smash weekly I played like ****. Only won 1 match and SDed twice in a game I really should have won. What sucks is I'd been practicing my pivot game but all that went out the window.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Rizen Rizen , I have one more question. Since I cannot use a Wii U, I want to know if it is possible to bombslide with the 3DS? If so, what controls would I have to use?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I know very little about the 3ds and I've never really had much incentive to know about it (because I don't own one and the competitive scene is on the wii-u), but assuming you have the option for turning the 'A+B=Smash' setting on and turn tap-jump off etc, then yes, you should have no issue, and from memory I do remember people saying they were doing it.
If you're following all the steps and you've actually read everything I wrote, then typically the answer is just 'do it faster'. A period of like 5 frames is often quicker than people realise. Try slowing the game down to practice if you must.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I missed smash last week because the dumb cab was late but did really well tonight. I concurred several demons in friendlies: a greninja, a mario and a PRed Bayo player all who beat me in bracket at some point. Studying T and scizor videos are working more pivots and space control into my game payed off. I didn't get too far in bracket due to not knowing the MK and DK MUs but the DK player helped me learn it afterward. I got a close 1-2 match vs a good Fox player on stream so i might be able to post it if i can find it. Ironically the games i won were vs terrible MUs: 2 vs sheik, 1 vs Fox and 1 vs Bayo.

OT, remember that smash based dark comedy that youtube took down i mentioned before? It's back up. Warning strong language and pixilated blood.

ps sorry for the poor capitalization, i'm giving my hands a break from typing and pecking with a pencil in my arm brace.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Dead thread.
I got to loser's finals in a low tier tournament with Charizard, losing to the Ike who got 1st and Palutena who got 2nd. Feeling good about that aside from 1 SD to Palu. Ike is scary if he gets stage control.
I won the 1st match with Link vs Villager/Ness in the main bracket but had to drop out because I was helping my mom pack. We moved her to a residence inn today while her apt is being renovated for the next 2 or 3 months. It's been a ton of work.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
I think this Smash teaser trailer is a Smash 4 port with added content. I don't think they'd bust this nut so early for the Switch. Or maybe will, that'd be cool.

Rizen

Smash Legend
When i was hiking and passing someone on a picknick table their damn dog tried to attack me. it dragged her about 5 ft on the leash before she stopped it. i hate dogs. it wasn't being "friendly" either; it barked and growled at me. then my shower got cold for some reason. i was in a bad mood before but now i'm in a really rotten mood.

On a lighter note, the smash weeklies at the local collage stopped for the summer. I'm bored with monster hunter and revisiting BotW instead. Trying to find the koroks, talus and hinoxes post game. I have a love/hate relationship with that game. Exploring is awesome but you get accosted by red spandex cultists and stalfos every 3 minutes. It also rains frequently and there's no way to circumvent that issue; you can't even light a fire to pass the time. These problems aren't as bad during the main story but suck in the completionist grind. The story also sucks and open world rpg elements are extremely primitive compared to other games of the genra like Skyrim and Horizon ZD. It bugs me because the game has so much going for it in other areas. The 2 previous console LoZs, SS and TP, had great characters and passable stories. Leave it to nintendo to reinvent the wheel every time, struggle with deadlines and throw out past innovations.

"lighter"'s a relative term of course.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Anybody in here hoping Link becomes top tier in Smash for Switch? He probably would be if he could use Perfect Dodge, Perfect Guard and Flurry Rush in some way. Or maybe he would be weakened with weapon breaking.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I doubt Link's core mechanics will change in ssb5 but with Sakurai you can never be sure...

I'm on vacation in California. We're visiting my mom's friends in Oakland. We also visited San Fransisco. It's kind of like a larger metropolitan Colorado if the streets were filling with maniac drivers. I feel like a country mouse in the city :/ People were talking about their friend trailing in a hypodermic needle from the street. I thought god damn, we don't get that kind of stuff back home. I'm not exactly a 'country mouse' either but certainly not a city one.

ATM I'm killing time with a fascinating documentary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cv0SJyUW4o

We saw the Magritte exhibit at the museum of modern art. IDK how to copy img locations on this laptop but you can google him. It was fun; I prefer his later work.
Tomorrow we're going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium :)

Last edited:

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Did we just get nerfed? I don't trust this remote bombs. It will deny bomb recoveries.
Z drop, detonate. Assuming we can be harmed by them, I don’t know I haven’t seen footage. If so, we can bomb recover whenever and don’t have to wait for the timer.

Capu

Smash Rookie
Also we don't have clawshot. Better grab but even worse recovery. I don't like these changes. I'm gonna stick with young Link. Hopefully he will be like the previous link only faster too! ^-^

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Also we don't have clawshot. Better grab but even worse recovery. I don't like these changes. I'm gonna stick with young Link. Hopefully he will be like the previous link only faster too! ^-^
I think you're jumping the gun a bit soon. Give it time and wait till it comes out and we get our hands on it. We are relying on people's accounts and recorded footage. We need hard data and thorough testing before we come to any conclusions

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
What I'm worried about is only having one bomb at a time.
Yup. I came back to smashboards and this is my first concern. That and recovery, but I haven't seen as much footage as I want to yet.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, been years since I've posted here. :) Good to see a familiar name here (Rizen!) I don't know what Izaw, Deva, Legan, ArkiveZero, and other old Link mains have been up to after all these years, but wanted to swing by and say hi.

Excited for Ultimate but pretty worried about Link's recovery options from what little I've seen so far. Regardless, Link will always be my main and I will do the best I can with him. I was most active here back in the Brawl days and going to tournaments monthly, but nowadays I'm old and too busy adulting to really play competitively. I'll see if I can make time to rep link in SoCal, though!

Cheers,
Ardes

Top Bottom