• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
So, people often ask me why I play For Glory. This is why:

What makes it even better is that (assuming his mii actually represents him) hes actually an adult, he also never even got close to winning a single game, and I beat him with his own char. Feel free to add this pathetic moron and to make fun of him if you want.

I also accepted this so hopefully there's more cute hatred to come.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

What makes it even better is that (assuming his mii actually represents him) hes actually an adult, he also never even got close to winning a single game, and I beat him with his own char. Feel free to add this pathetic moron and to make fun of him if you want.

This seems like something you would say to somebody who struts onto the Link boards, proclaiming they're the best, and displaying FG win ratios through the use of a ****ty camera phone. Oh wait.....

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597

From the looks of it he can't spell for **** ( maybe it was intentional ) and his nickname H49 if I recall correctly is a name for a bacteria pill. He definitely needs some after a user message like that...

Chaoslink

Smash Cadet
NNID
chaosl1nk

lol damn i've never made anyone that mad, most of the time they just communicate through tags, this guy took the time out of his day to send you a message, damn

Zane the pure

Smash Ace
From the looks of it he can't spell for **** ( maybe it was intentional ) and his nickname H49 if I recall correctly is a name for a bacteria pill. He definitely needs some after a user message like that...
Intentional misspellings to bypass Nintendo's censorship and get his pathetic point across.

lol damn i've never made anyone that mad, most of the time they just communicate through tags, this guy took the time out of his day to send you a message, damn
Imagine how many more of those messages one would receive if Wii u actually had a functioning message system like XBL or PSN.
guys like this:

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Intentional misspellings to bypass Nintendo's censorship and get his pathetic point across.

Imagine how many more of those messages one would receive if Wii u actually had a functioning message system like XBL or PSN.
guys like this:
I got them all the time when I played Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag 2 great times.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
7 had a nice match vs a Lucina. You can tell he is getting a good hang of the IZAC.
And all I could think was, 'What the hell does the other guy have on his face?'.

Edit: Also, technically those weren't IZAC's, but functionally/practically they may as well be, not to mention they're infinitely easier to perform.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
And all I could think was, 'What the hell does the other guy have on his face?'.

Edit: Also, technically those weren't IZAC's, but functionally/practically they may as well be, not to mention they're infinitely easier to perform.
He was wearing the mask Lucina wears for a good portion of Fire Emblem Awakening.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I hope Nintendo doesn't get into a muppet phase :nervous:

I got my grandma's old couch; it's a nice big leather one :b:. We're finally done moving her stuff.

Blessed Spartan

Smash Rookie
Hey guys Blessed here and offering a suggestion discussed with a few of the links mains in skype chat.
So i was wondering if it would be possible to make a collection of guides which contain all the notes on MU in one place rather than separate MU with comments. More akin to bullet point lists so that Link mains can simply look it up on this thread find the key points to focus on in the MU and go from there.

My reasoning for suggesting this is the fact that some MU are missing and others don't really have substantial information to really inform or assist players struggling in an MU.

as an example Nimious has helped me start a short Mario Guide to go from, i found it very helpful and i think it'd benefit the group if we could have more information in this format.

let me know what you think or if its worth having?

Fighting Mario

In order to win this MU Link must stay outside of Mario’s range. Be more careful about throwing projectiles because of his cape.

MU Ratio 60:40 to Mario

· Do not get grabbed

· If Mario fireballs Jab it instead of shielding

· DI away from Mario if he manages to down throw you

· Sometimes its better or Nair instead of air dodging

· Stay grounded do not jump unless you have a reason ( He has to jump)

· If Mario SH fireballs Retreat Fair

· If he comes at you with nair ( up tilt is quicker and cover more vertical space) or ( Pivot F tilt, takes longer but is safer)

· If he uses Dair, roll away, f tilt or retreating fair

· Shield fireballs that are not used to advance and reply with a Bombslide

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Hey guys Blessed here and offering a suggestion discussed with a few of the links mains in skype chat.
So i was wondering if it would be possible to make a collection of guides which contain all the notes on MU in one place rather than separate MU with comments. More akin to bullet point lists so that Link mains can simply look it up on this thread find the key points to focus on in the MU and go from there.

My reasoning for suggesting this is the fact that some MU are missing and others don't really have substantial information to really inform or assist players struggling in an MU.

as an example Nimious has helped me start a short Mario Guide to go from, i found it very helpful and i think it'd benefit the group if we could have more information in this format.

Fighting Mario

In order to win this MU Link must stay outside of Mario’s range. Be more careful about throwing projectiles because of his cape.

· Do not get grabbed

· If he comes at you with nair ( up tilt is quicker and cover more vertical space) or ( Pivot F tilt, takes longer but is safer)

As long as Bless'd Spartan may fresh joys impart,
Amuse our readers and delight my heart,
We can forgive; let burn the dumbest fire --
I feel no envy at a brother's lyre.
I'll freely pass the tribute which is due
To kindness, pathos, poetry... and you.
Jokes heaped on jokes will cease to please,
When they deprive the social board of ease:
I have heard you too often sadly sigh,
And seen the fading fire in your eye...
Let not losses always bedew the cheek:
When you need Link most, the Link boards will speak.
To what you say I'll candidly attend
And in the weakness see only the friend.
aww, the Link boards were so much livelier the last time I was here.
Hey you, whose feed this hallow'd pavement tread,
I'd watch those words, as you're asking for dread.
We need no activity but the sky;
To look above, and hear the strangers sigh.
I think of Legan as he sighed the last,
It's not all the future: we live the past.
Anyone who hasn't seen and appreciated this

ridiculousness yet can gtfo. http://smashboards.com/threads/link...-found-in-the-op.379659/page-42#post-21084473
Avoid those men who come here and betray;
Insect that leave their stings, and fly away.
They pretend, with false vows, an ardent flame;
But Stryker is no bug, nor does he shame.
Our boards' honour on his face attends:
Men may be foes, but labbing makes us friends.

It's a sweet life that's lived for art;
Politics, Sex and Violence apart...
Though I live for those three, let it be clear
Smash is gentle, and so rounds off the year.
While all applause to me insipid grows
(Except that which these boards sometimes bestow)
Smoothly has flown the current of my life,
Yet my hand's my mistress, and words my wife.
It's poetry, drawn from passion and truth
Which will cheer my age as it charmed my youth.
Let me post then, for 30 days to come,
Only in rhyme, to honour where I'm from.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
Don't always assume Mario has to jump to approach..because he doesn't. And don't assume DI away is the golden rule to DI dthrow, because it isn't. That will just set you up to get dunked at the edge. You need to mix up DI so he has to adapt and switch up his follow ups on the fly.

Also Catana Catana I played for Glory not too long ago because I hadn't done that in forever. I fought that same guy a few times and he did the same thing to me. He would change his tag after every game to a curse word as well.

Last edited:

Bigbomb2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bigbomb2
If I had a nickel for every time someone at my local tells me to "pick a better character" or "pick up Tink" I'd have a bag heavy enough to knock them out. Tis annoying

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
so dark souls 3 just arrived. bye smash & real life, see you in a few weeks

LakerLink

Smash Cadet

Fighting Mario

· Do not get grabbed

I agree with what you are saying, instead of digging through the pages for info in the meta game, then to find out the information is wrong becuase of the patches.

For me I play a diffrently then most links I use the arrows way more then other links. Even against characters with reflecters.

The only information I care about is, what kills at a certain percentage like how Stryker posted. Also the frame data, what moves are punishable.

I played a lot of street fighter 4 they as a community had there information more organized, smash 4 has the information but it's all out there scattered harder to find.

I do agree with you we can get way more organized.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
We've got a good Mario in the area I play a lot. We think it's 45-55 Mario's favor. It's really important for us to get the first kill on Mario because if he has a stock lead and some rage he can get combos off on us while we have to fight to get a kill move. Also cape really isn't as great as it might seem against us as long as you're mixing up your projectiles; if he doesn't cape bombs just right they just blow up right there instead of coming back at us. So mix up your soft toss and smash toss throws at him and change up your angles. That said if you're not careful he can Mario combo the **** out of you. Dairing your shield can set up for a grab > Mario combo too, just fyi. As far as that goes, just take the first 2 or 3 utilts, he's gonna get those at low percents, and DI them, don't burn your double jump trying to get out of those, the real damage comes from him carrying you with uair and bair strings. And don't be stupid off the edge, good Marios can dunk pretty reliably like Lawz said and it's not as dangerous for them to use as it might seem, it's a good move. Also, usmash is a stupid move, and super safe; don't get baited trying to punish it unless you KNOW you can (you probably can't unless Mario whiffed a hard read or really botched his spacing).

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I was going to move your post to the Mario MU thread, but it was referring to Lawz' post so I needed that too, but I couldn't move that because it was half MU post and half social post, then I realised that I can just copy them. My powers know no bounds.
In future though, yeah, maybe just post MU posts in the MU threads.

Anyway, as for the idea to have a separate thread that gives bullet point summaries for all the MU's, while I think it might be a decent idea for a thread, I'm not convinced that we have the right person to be in charge of it, just judging from the responses to the draft bullet points given. The thing is as well, there will always be some points that even top players will slightly disagree on, or some areas of the MU that they'd approach differently, so I think it may be a bit of a stretch to assume that any one person would be able to nail down the bullet points. What we have right now, a separate thread for each character with an index that links to each thread, is already better organsied and structured than a lot of other MU discussions. If you want more up to date info then you should actually use the system/structure we already have in place and revive the MU threads for the characters that got changed in such a way that affects the way we should approach the MU.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I was going to move your post to the Mario MU thread, but it was referring to Lawz' post so I needed that too, but I couldn't move that because it was half MU post and half social post, then I realised that I can just copy them. My powers know no bounds.
In future though, yeah, maybe just post MU posts in the MU threads.

Anyway, as for the idea to have a separate thread that gives bullet point summaries for all the MU's, while I think it might be a decent idea for a thread, I'm not convinced that we have the right person to be in charge of it, just judging from the responses to the draft bullet points given. The thing is as well, there will always be some points that even top players will slightly disagree on, or some areas of the MU that they'd approach differently, so I think it may be a bit of a stretch to assume that any one person would be able to nail down the bullet points. What we have right now, a separate thread for each character with an index that links to each thread, is already better organsied and structured than a lot of other MU discussions. If you want more up to date info then you should actually use the system/structure we already have in place and revive the MU threads for the characters that got changed in such a way that affects the way we should approach the MU.
I kind of feel like the matchup threads should have a couple of small changes that could make a difference.

1. Standardize the matchup thread titles. They're all far too varied imo.
2. Try to summarize information in the top post. While it's great to give credit to fellow users, I'd really prefer more of a summarized version with a link to the other post to get more details. For example, Stryker's posts about OOS options could be great material to be linked as the top post for each MU.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I kind of feel like the matchup threads should have a couple of small changes that could make a difference.

1. Standardize the matchup thread titles. They're all far too varied imo.
2. Try to summarize information in the top post. While it's great to give credit to fellow users, I'd really prefer more of a summarized version with a link to the other post to get more details. For example, Stryker's posts about OOS options could be great material to be linked as the top post for each MU.
1. I could go around and change all the titles. That's tedious but achievable.
2. This one depends on what kind of quality you're after though. If you get the OP owners to do it, there will be no guarantees as they are typically, though not always, made by people who were struggling with the MU at a medium to low level. While I do have the power to edit all the OP's myself, I'm already in charge of editing the OP's of other threads that I don't own, and I'm behind on the editing of the OP's that I do own. Any extensive edits, especially ones that need to be updated as more informative posts come in, is simply not happening. And why exactly are people whining about having to read through 1 to 3 pages anyway?

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
1. I could go around and change all the titles. That's tedious but achievable.
2. This one depends on what kind of quality you're after though. If you get the OP owners to do it, there will be no guarantees as they are typically, though not always, made by people who were struggling with the MU at a medium to low level. While I do have the power to edit all the OP's myself, I'm already in charge of editing the OP's of other threads that I don't own, and I'm behind on the editing of the OP's that I do own. Any extensive edits, especially ones that need to be updated as more informative posts come in, is simply not happening. And why exactly are people whining about having to read through 1 to 3 pages anyway?
I was wondering that if folks were to volunteer collating information for you for a particular thread for example, would you be open to editing it into the opening post of the thread? In my case I'm not really whining, I just feel like the info is spread out and a lot of it is out of date. Putting in the OP just makes it more visible to folks. Who's really expecting quality OOS analysis on like page 3 of a 4 page thread lol?

In the case of matchups, I think we just need more discussions in the threads themselves first. Then a collation of data might actually be useful.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
I was wondering that if folks were to volunteer collating information for you for a particular thread for example, would you be open to editing it into the opening post of the thread? In my case I'm not really whining, I just feel like the info is spread out and a lot of it is out of date. Putting in the OP just makes it more visible to folks. Who's really expecting quality OOS analysis on like page 3 of a 4 page thread lol?

In the case of matchups, I think we just need more discussions in the threads themselves first. Then a collation of data might actually be useful.
Just so we're clear, the MU thread with the most posts is the Fox MU thread, and it has 3 pages with only two posts on the third page. The vast majority of them are a single page.

Having said that, I obviously wouldn't be averse to editing in summaries that others have put together if they have been put together or at least approved by people who know what they're talking about.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Ok so for a long time now the meta thread OP has been kind of broken in that it's often impossible to expand the quotes inside the spoilers, meaning that the longer (and often better) quotes are unable to be read fully. This problem doesn't seem to be going away, but I think I've found a possible solution. Before I go ahead with it I wanted to check if everyone else was ok with the idea first. Essentially I'm going to go to the BB code editor, copy all the text and paste it in a Word document, then using the find/replace feature, I'm going to replace every instance of the word 'quote' with the word 'spoiler' with one click (and then replace double paragraphs with a single paragraph because Word is dumb). What this will do is it will turn all the quotes into spoilers. As an example, the first quote will go from this:
I could say some words about dthrow uair and what is great about it if you guys want. First a disclaimer the frame numbers aren't completely accurate but more or less as in within a frame or two. I might redo the frame counts unless Foxy or Zelkam wants to do it instead. At least this is what I've found from extensive labbing and field testing(matches):

Let us take for instance a light character at 130% for instance sheik. When you dthrow sheik, sheik will be unable to do anything for 70 frames from the start of the dthrow. On frame 70 sheik is able to airdodge. On frame 76 sheik is able to double jump or input an attack. REGARDLESS of DI, Link will be able to reach his target within frame 76 with uair. If the opponent DIs away from Link it will take Link 75 frames to reach sheik. This means that it won't true combo, but sheiks ONLY option to avoid the strong hit is to airdodge. Luckily for us, uair lasts longer than an airdodge so if you follow sheiks trajectory you will eventually hit her with the weak hit. Which will KO around 120%-130% on most lighter characters.

Also if you have massive amounts of rage you can basically KO the whole cast before 100% and at this point it will true combo on most characters regardless of DI.

The input is important and the timing is strict. After the dthrow you have to buffer a dash, then on the first frame of the dash you have to jump and then uair as soon as possible after leaving the ground.

My controller setup allows me to do this pretty easily where I have L set to jump and I input the uair with the c-stick. I've been abusing this setup as much as I can and you will also be able to see it in use in my upcoming replays on my channel.

I'm pretty sure this is going to disappear in the next patch since people will complain about anything that is good about Link. So use it while you can gentlemen.

I should also mention that this setup is vulnerable to DI mixups in a sense. I do think you will have enough time to react on the DI of your opponent, but I'm really slow with my reactions so I'm not always able to do it. If you are not able to react on their DI then reading the DI is still possible. Since you fullhop your uair it will autocancel so your opponent will always be at the disadvantage, meaning it is also fairly safe to do.
(only imagine you can't expand it), to this:
I could say some words about dthrow uair and what is great about it if you guys want. First a disclaimer the frame numbers aren't completely accurate but more or less as in within a frame or two. I might redo the frame counts unless Foxy or Zelkam wants to do it instead. At least this is what I've found from extensive labbing and field testing(matches):

Let us take for instance a light character at 130% for instance sheik. When you dthrow sheik, sheik will be unable to do anything for 70 frames from the start of the dthrow. On frame 70 sheik is able to airdodge. On frame 76 sheik is able to double jump or input an attack. REGARDLESS of DI, Link will be able to reach his target within frame 76 with uair. If the opponent DIs away from Link it will take Link 75 frames to reach sheik. This means that it won't true combo, but sheiks ONLY option to avoid the strong hit is to airdodge. Luckily for us, uair lasts longer than an airdodge so if you follow sheiks trajectory you will eventually hit her with the weak hit. Which will KO around 120%-130% on most lighter characters.

Also if you have massive amounts of rage you can basically KO the whole cast before 100% and at this point it will true combo on most characters regardless of DI.

The input is important and the timing is strict. After the dthrow you have to buffer a dash, then on the first frame of the dash you have to jump and then uair as soon as possible after leaving the ground.

My controller setup allows me to do this pretty easily where I have L set to jump and I input the uair with the c-stick. I've been abusing this setup as much as I can and you will also be able to see it in use in my upcoming replays on my channel.

I'm pretty sure this is going to disappear in the next patch since people will complain about anything that is good about Link. So use it while you can gentlemen.

I should also mention that this setup is vulnerable to DI mixups in a sense. I do think you will have enough time to react on the DI of your opponent, but I'm really slow with my reactions so I'm not always able to do it. If you are not able to react on their DI then reading the DI is still possible. Since you fullhop your uair it will autocancel so your opponent will always be at the disadvantage, meaning it is also fairly safe to do.

It's a quick fix which doesn't look as pleasing to the eye (imo) but which is functionally sound, as opposed to what we're dealing with currently.
(Incidentally, I realise that I'll need to update this quote with a note that lets people know that the information for Sheik is outdated since the weight nerf.)

Last edited:

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
Damn, I'm going to miss it just by a few weeks :(. I'm going to back to the WA scene for summer though--hopefully it's just as free as it was this winter *shots fired*

Top Bottom