• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
2 hours until I get my old avatar back. I feel dirty with an anime one.

I just have to say Link's Fair is a fantastic move, especially pared with bombs.

This is funny if you have 5 minutes to kill. The guy does a good impression of Christopher Walken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8MORsm-zI
I'm actually curious if any of you guys have actually played Fire Emblem

I have to admit, thats pretty funny XD

:135:

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Our avatars got changed for april fools? I wonder what mine was. It's a good idea, tbh. I wonder how it was done.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Probably the same as mine... And you come from the melee community too, so maybe that means something?
Apparently he's some thief named Matthew.

I'm actually curious if any of you guys have actually played Fire Emblem

I have to admit, thats pretty funny XD

I played the Sacred Stones one I think, it was a Ambassador thing on the 3DS.
I also play Corrin in Sm4sh now, does that count?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Apparently he's some thief named Matthew.

I played the Sacred Stones one I think, it was a Ambassador thing on the 3DS.
I also play Corrin in Sm4sh now, does that count?
First one counts

Second one doesn't

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Yeh I've played Fire Emblem. Beat Sacred Stones and Awakening and I'm now going through Birthright. I also completed one of the SNES ones on emulator... I think it's Seisen no Kifu.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
As much as I'd love to watch, I must sleep. Maybe I'll check back in in several hours.
Thatd fine youll just miss earlyy rounds of doubles anyway

But for you double haters we probably going link / wii fit, also the very best of germany will be there today so expect an international romp

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
7th/128, all link basically. meh, shouldve been 5th at least tbh.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
We got quite far too in teams with Link / Wii Fit, best team ever

Also gotta thank @Stryker95 for doing some great labbing recently, I see you've got an official Foxy endorsement:

Rizen

Smash Legend
S'up? I packed and moved a lot of boxes the past 3 days. In other news I'm trying to get back into drawing, did some perspective and figure sketches.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
On the advice of Camalange I have taken an "anime" class to educate myself on such strange terms as "waifu", it has been very enlightening

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Seagull Joe went Link against Pink Fresh's Bayo at the last Xanadu (was looking for Pound videos and saw this lol): https://youtu.be/fBKTyWkVBBM?t=181 Not sure if we want this in the video thread, but it's there.

Also Sova Unknown got a call out in the video from TK :)

Last edited:

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Obviously my joke posts here are often on point, but I feel I miss some of my earlier series posting, so I feel the need to discuss the kinds of players who are, sometimes, our enemy. I will use a generous amount of exaggeration, which I am fond of, but I believe it is in the essence entirely true.

A Reddit post about Bayonetta made it to the front page: "I was seriously bullied [BULLIED!!1!!!1] for going Bayonetta". :laugh::laugh: It is fascinating for us insofar as it digs into the mindset of the average mediocrities playing top tiers -- the players that actually interesting men have to get through with their worse characters.
pitiful weak-kneed whiner said:
I don't think it's Bayonetta that's toxic. I think the community is becoming toxic but yes, Bayonetta is the reason.
All these bien-pensants take over not only fashionable ideas but also words without considering them very much, thus you get catch-terms such as "toxic" which have entirely lost their original sense. These whiners ruin even language, and thus this boy's abject mediocrity and conformity is already apparent.

But let's see the extend of the bullying:
Everytime my match starts some guys behind me start shouting at me whenever I do witchtime or combo somebody. Nobody ever cheers for me and people call me "the nobody that buyed his skills for 5.99".
This man has evidently never seen the Smash scene in Mexico, or been at any actual sports event, or, really, done much of anything besides play video games in all-too-friendly settings. Cheap shots are going to be called out -- heartless Rosalina players have dealt with this since the start. This is easily resolvable by, for instance, listening to music while playing. The latter comment pertains, presumably, not only to his status as a player and his results, but also to his social status within the community. That is to say, he is not just a "nobody" insofar as he used to have no results and now does, it's also the case that nobody knows him, or cares much about him. This is the inevitable result of being a week-kneed, whiny mediocrity -- and the inevitable result of that is being another bore playing Bayonetta, another sheep fit for the slaughterhouse, another drag for every actually competent player to demolish, another ---

But enough. Remarkably, this is the full extent of the "bullying". Seeing these fairly negligible side-effects of the competitive spirit characterized as bullying is more than a little funny -- in our times (and I can say this without an issue, as the person who wrote this is almost definitely young) the threat in bullying was invariably actual physical violence, a bit more damning than having some trashtalk thrown your way... about a video game.
This is really saddening for me, I don't play Bayonetta because she is OP. I voted for her at the ballot and I was really excited to play her but now I regret it because of the community.
The rhetorical sleight of hand here is simple: he sets up a simple "him" vs "them", so he can blame everything on the "community". What these players never consider is how their character choice robs other players of the pleasure of playing the game, and worsens their local community by, invariably, causing a domino effect with more and more people forced to pick top tiers to pick up. We are speaking here, after all, about a relatively harmless and unskilled scene in Michigan; nothing nationally relevant. It's just a bunch of guys interested in playing some games of Smash once a week. He sets himself up as the victim (and gains sympathy by being an easy victim), but don't be fooled so fast.

Notice also how inept he is at expressing his feelings: the only word he can conjure up is "saddening". Language is tied to general development and higher sense; these guys still have the vocabulary of kids, and the emotional maturity that belongs to it. They're "sad" or "angry" or "happy"; something is "hype" or "cool" or "amazing".
I might go back to Sheik this week at my local tournament, this is not a joke, it really hurts me emotionally whenever I play Bayo at the tournament.
I love how he assures the reader it is not a joke -- don't worry, we know it isn't. I need hardly point out that it is only typical his main before Bayonetta was Sheik. His chief defense is that he does not play Bayonetta to win, but that he plays her because he likes her; yet does he also just happen to like Sheik that much? Would he have played Bayonetta as a main too if she was a low-mid tier? I doubt it. He then adds the (((bullying))) hurts him "emotionally" (how else, physically? intellectually?), yet we are still quite in doubt as to how exactly. All we have is a vague sense of it hurting him and him being sad --- again the unbearably childish lack of expressive power
I'm just done pretending to not care about all the haters. I came to my local place to have fun and find some friends.
He phrases the first sentence as if it is a declaration of strength -- as if he is now ready to stand up to the oppression and fight back -- but really, it is a declaration of weakness. The second phrase is ample evidence of him being a bit of a loser; if video game tournaments are a venue for you to find friends, something has likely gone wrong.

A fine portrait of the average mediocrity you'll encounter in round 2 at your locals, having to pull out the top tier to finally take a few sets. He is the enemy in every sense: in the sense that you will have to beat him in bracket to progress, in the sense that he ruins the scene by being yet another boring drag of a player, and, in the widest and most important sense, in that he, by and large, ruins parts of life through his philistinism, his dullness, his lack of life and spirit, and his unbearable mediocrity. This is the man lazily parroting "hype" and the "kappa" emoticon in the Twitch chat; later in life he might be parroting terms such as "my country" and "freedom" and cause a little more of a stir.

The top comment at the moment says
your locals sounds like a high school.
But bullying and verbal assault can be a very mature thing, employed generously in a serious discussion of ideas and men and life. There is always a misplaced jock resentment in these statements: they always come out to say that it is the "heh, stupid jocks still stuck in high skool!111"; but it is really the nerds who never grow out of their role as bullying victim, reframing many encounters as a simple "us" (the loyal, hard-working, studious nerds) versus "them" (the popular, extroverted men who have fun, and sex lives). In reality, what is going on here is not quite so simple -- there is a lot of healthy competitiveness, and probably also a lot of well-intended joking.

Another top rated comment reads
Be the leffen of your scene. Tell them to stop booing or money match (if you're confident). be the villain. Watch videos of nba players or cam newton celebrations. Copy them after wins.
This is indicative of how childish the world of these people is; they cannot frame themselves but as cartoon villains, or anime protagonists. Leffen is, of course, a more complicated figure, and more complicated man, than a sort of rudimentary anime villain; these kids fall for the bluff, the insular faux-hating self-caricature.

What I think will happen with this kid is that his community will see this post, because it is at the top of Reddit smash bros. page, and will realize they're hurting him, and will stop doing so -- and everything will seem fine, and could have been already if he had only opened his mouth. Yet the larger problem is not quite solved; that would require some serious criticism of him. If you get into this sort of situation, the right step is to get of Reddit (this is always a good step to take, by the way), cancel your Twitch subscription to Nairo, turn off the game, and -- well, you know the trite phrase.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Hey guys. I played a tournament and I feel i player horrible. Can you tell me some tips?

So guys, I'm unable to practice in my actual state of life... so i want that you could help me by give me some tips.

Loser Final (against Cloud, April, 2nd): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jpz9OsRajw
Grand Final (against Cloud and Ness, April, 2nd): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE6qsvtNNao
EDIT: Against cloud in the grand final was not uploaded... it was 3-0 in my favor...

Last edited:
Top Bottom