• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Zero's metagame revolve entirely around beating shields, because he says shields are the most powerful option in the game. Link doesn't really have good shield pressure or a fast grab, so a lot of times opponents can sit in shield right next to Link without fear. None of the patches have fixed this, so it makes sense that Zero would rate Link lowly on his personal list. I disagree with him.
Well, ZeRo isn't the be all of end all, so eh, he can think what he wants.don't make him right like you said.

:135:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Zero's metagame revolve entirely around beating shields, because he says shields are the most powerful option in the game. Link doesn't really have good shield pressure or a fast grab, so a lot of times opponents can sit in shield right next to Link without fear. None of the patches have fixed this, so it makes sense that Zero would rate Link lowly on his personal list. I disagree with him.
But he put Toon Link in high tier and he's pretty bad vs shields too. Though i mean Tink is definitely high tier so im not disagreeing. But nobody knows where to put any mid to low tier characters so regardless of Link, his mid tier list isn't that accurate I don't think. There's a lot of spots in there that looked like ZeRo just threw in just to make it look more complete.

Link is a solid mid-tier. Hes already been able to prove that he can be a threat in a relevant tournament. I don't think he should be any lower or any higher.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Probably because Toon Link has results from Hyuga and there's a pretty good Toon Link in Cali. Not that I'm defending Zero's list. I think Link is a solid mid-tier, and most people don't know anything about him. Zero has said in his previous lists that for a lot of characters he doesn't know where to put them or that they're under-represented or under-developed, or don't have results, so he puts them into lower tiers. That's probably what happened, so I wouldn't worry too much about what Zero thinks about Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Scizor has also gotten good results in SoCal (with Link).

In an effort to get thread activity, what are your favorite Link moments?
Mine are:
At the end of Zelda 2 TAoL, where it's strongly implied Link and Zelda are getting it on. Ha, Mario only gets a kiss on the cheek or cake for saving his princess.

Drawing the Master Sword for the very first time in ALttP when the fog clears. Epic!

Playing the 8 instruments in front of the Windfish egg in LA. Beating up moblins to rescue Bowwow. Finding the Mural in the pre-face shine area.

Jumping the wall to free Epona in ooT.

In MM when a temple is cleared it affects the environment like making the swamp water not be poison or stopping eternal winter; it really feels like the tasks were meaningful and not just for a dumb trophy prize (like an 'Essence of Time/Nature').
Freeing the music box house father from the gibdo's curse.
The entire final boss fight.

In TP when Link rides into Kakarico village to save the kids like a bad***.
Lifting huge stone doors.
Link seeing the fishing pond and acting happy.
Entering the Temple of Time doors from the forest.
The final boss fights.

In SS beating Girihim the 2nd time.
Saving Impa and Zelda from Girihim after the L Mines area.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
My Fav moments have to be;

Riding the Train in ST (and music was so catchy!)
Beating ST (first ever Zelda game complete)

Pulling the Master Sword out in Oot (that music then the plot twist)
Fighting Ganondorf in a tennis match
Ganon. Nuff said.

Using the Wall Ability in ALBW (it was a really fun mechanic imo)
Classic Link gameplay (it's actually very fun)
The Final Boss in ALBW (man it was hard)

Using the Motion Control on SS (am I the only one who enjoyed?)
Meeting Fi for the first time and that music (oh many)
Fighting Ghriham (every battle)
Flying on a Loftwing
Getting the Master Sword.
Zelda (she had so much character)
Zelda x Link that is implied.
The final scene with Fi (I am willing to admit I bursted into tears)

MM in it's entirety. I literally can not choose a single point, I loved the whole thing. the characters, the mechanics, the music, the fights, it was all amazing. It is my fav Zelda of them all and has my Fav Link of all time as the main character.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Scizor has also gotten good results in SoCal (with Link).

In an effort to get thread activity, what are your favorite Link moments?
Mine are:
At the end of Zelda 2 TAoL, where it's strongly implied Link and Zelda are getting it on. Ha, Mario only gets a kiss on the cheek or cake for saving his princess.

Drawing the Master Sword for the very first time in ALttP when the fog clears. Epic!

Playing the 8 instruments in front of the Windfish egg in LA. Beating up moblins to rescue Bowwow. Finding the Mural in the pre-face shine area.

Jumping the wall to free Epona in ooT.

In MM when a temple is cleared it affects the environment like making the swamp water not be poison or stopping eternal winter; it really feels like the tasks were meaningful and not just for a dumb trophy prize (like an 'Essence of Time/Nature').
Freeing the music box house father from the gibdo's curse.
The entire final boss fight.

In TP when Link rides into Kakarico village to save the kids like a bad***.
Lifting huge stone doors.
Link seeing the fishing pond and acting happy.
Entering the Temple of Time doors from the forest.
The final boss fights.

In SS beating Girihim the 2nd time.
Saving Impa and Zelda from Girihim after the L Mines area.
My favorite moment of all Zelda games would have to go to the end fight with Ganondorf in Twilight Princess. The badassery in the fight, the way the camera moved, the music, the flow of the battle itself with Ganondorf taunting you during the fight was just so extremely cinematic for a GameCube game. And I even got to relive that recently with the TPHD that recently came out. Hero Mode just made the fight that much more satisfying.

Drigo Toes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrigoToesSato
Fav. Zelda moment:

I was a kid (12-13 yo), and my brothers and I recently converted into Adult Link.
Then we proceeded to pass through Forest Temple... and in the end of the temple, he showed up!

We freaked out! It was ****ing Ganondorf! And then, it resulted to be Phantom Ganon. The most epic battle of the entire game... it was marvellous.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Anyone see the web series 'There Will Be Brawl'? It's an amazingly well done live action very dark comedy/satire of Brawl (and some dark movies). Be prepared for PG13 levels of violent stuff.
I don't want to spoil anything but holy s*** on a s*** sandwich with a side order of s***! If anyone who's seen it wants to talk, I will.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Anyone see the web series 'There Will Be Brawl'? It's an amazingly well done live action very dark comedy/satire of Brawl (and some dark movies). Be prepared for PG13 levels of violent stuff.
I don't want to spoil anything but holy s*** on a s*** sandwich with a side order of s***! If anyone who's seen it wants to talk, I will.
Yeah, i've seen some of it. It's pretty ****ing funny XD

Just faced this scrub named Axel (Overlordaxel on Twitch). He happened to be a Link troll. On Asterisksrocks stream, he saw me fight the streamer multiple times and decided to challenge me in chat. I switched to troll mode and proceeded to wreck that little scrub. He was a pretty decent player. He tried to be flashy at times, and it costed him a stock. Those were some pretty amusing, awesome, and scrubby matches. :troll:
... Why am I getting déjà vu from this...?
If you played me in brawl then you'd remember me maining Pit if that's the deja vu since I rarely battle against toon link mains. Yeah that last match was a close game almost died to a meteor smash from toon link's dair, but luckily link's up b prevailed. Though wasn't our match during KotH? Yeah it was during King of the Hill the stage was Magicant FD for the last round. We should spar again sometime. :nifty:

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.

OoT
My favorite moment would be when I got the hookshot and started Batmanning around Kakariko Village at night.

My favorite story moment was meeting child Zelda for the first time, and the showdown with Ganondorf and Ganon.

MM
When I accidentally activated the 2x speed glitch the first time I drank Chatou Romani. Then I put on the bunny hood and speed around the bar.

The most impactful moment would be when I realized that even though I saved the world, I couldn't bring back the people who died, and many of the kindnesses I'd done for people were undone with the time reset. I tried to think of a perfect run, where I could do the most good possible in three days before stopping Skull Kid, and going through the list of important things to do before beating the game. Like beating all the bosses does the most good, Kafe, ect.

Favorite moment was going inside the moon.

ALttP

Sword fighting guards by charging a spin attack and clanking swords with them.

Getting the flippers and swimming. Being a helpless pink bunny. Tempering and then quenching the master sword. Walking into the grove with the Master Sword.

Tempering and quenching the Master Sword.

Twilight Princess

The Spinner

Worst moment was finding out the Spinner was useless without rails.

I didn't really love any moment from that game.

Skyward Sword

Choosing my own responses

The temple with the giant Bhudda statue. Every moment of it.

Wind Waker

Seeing ruined Hyrule Castle frozen in time. When Zelda helps you fight. The final showdown with Ganondorf. Going Metal Gear Solid infiltrating the Forbidden Fortress. The oh crap moment in Forbidden Fortress when your sword doesn't work, and you locked yourself in a room with Ganon.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
You guys seen the whole bidou control scheme thing?
Personally, I don't think it's as useful for us because we're going to need custom controls anyway, and we'd lose a lot of that using this imo. Like soft bomb toss, dunno how that would work with this scheme. Looks like bombsliding would definitely be out. Still, interesting video to take a look at. Also, it looks like to get the most out of it you'd need a pro controller which is almost always banned, at least at tourneys I go to.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
You guys seen the whole bidou control scheme thing?
Personally, I don't think it's as useful for us because we're going to need custom controls anyway, and we'd lose a lot of that using this imo. Like soft bomb toss, dunno how that would work with this scheme. Looks like bombsliding would definitely be out. Still, interesting video to take a look at. Also, it looks like to get the most out of it you'd need a pro controller which is almost always banned, at least at tourneys I go to.
Gonna use this with Wii Fit and Mii Gunner, just using two control schemes. Changing L to special, R remains shield, Z goes to attack, ABY remain same X goes to grab... C-stick to special... Minor changes then not hard to switch between, gives me easy wavebouncing too... More useful with them cause of wii fit's crouch and wii fit doesn't need retreating fair or something like that, very much a waste of time with Link -- you want to c-stick set to attack for retreating aerials alone, let alone losing soft bomb throws.

Prevaricator Faust

Smash Cadet
I can also see Bidou benefiting Fox with frame perfect Reverse Aerial Rush, he can buffer a RAR Bair much quicker and can combo with it more consistently out of DThrow because many times people are able to just barely jump away from the RAR Bair but with this they will most likely be guaranteed all the time. Perfect Pivot Crouch will improve his mid range mobility since his initial dash is a bit too long, and slow to input another one to be unpredictable. You could do normal Perfect Pivot but then you miss out on the slide you get from crouching due to Bidou making the move frame perfect... As for me personally, I probably won't invest time into trying to learn this control scheme as Dumbfire said it's a waste of time for Link.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I can also see Bidou benefiting Fox with frame perfect Reverse Aerial Rush, he can buffer a RAR Bair much quicker and can combo with it more consistently out of DThrow because many times people are able to just barely jump away from the RAR Bair but with this they will most likely be guaranteed all the time. Perfect Pivot Crouch will improve his mid range mobility since his initial dash is a bit too long, and slow to input another one to be unpredictable. You could do normal Perfect Pivot but then you miss out on the slide you get from crouching due to Bidou making the move frame perfect... As for me personally, I probably won't invest time into trying to learn this control scheme as Dumbfire said it's a waste of time for Link.
Would that mean it would put Link at a serious disadvantage? Or is this not the next Wavedash?

micahismyname

Smash Rookie
NNID
micahismyname
Would that mean it would put Link at a serious disadvantage? Or is this not the next Wavedash?
This is what I'm afraid of. Our matchup with fox is so bad already, and Fox gains so much from perfect pivots.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
it will take a while before I'll go into actual practice though, gimme another week and I'll start

I went all link today at bi-weekly btw, save for 2 mii gunner games (heh), so don't worry guys I'm still yours

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
it will take a while before I'll go into actual practice though, gimme another week and I'll start

I went all link today at bi-weekly btw, save for 2 mii gunner games (heh), so don't worry guys I'm still yours
Damn traitor! nah jk

Rizen

Smash Legend
If Nintendo has Zelda U for the NX I'm going to be POed.

Edit, someone I know got 'taco bell'; the wrapper had writing with the logo and words like 'cheese stuffed', etc. The way it was crinkled it looked like it said 'cheese stuffed hell'. I found that funny :p

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
If Nintendo has Zelda U for the NX I'm going to be POed.

Edit, someone I know got 'taco bell'; the wrapper had writing with the logo and words like 'cheese stuffed', etc. The way it was crinkled it looked like it said 'cheese stuffed hell'. I found that funny :p
Not planning on buying the NX I'm assuming?

Speaking of which, if Smash4 is re-released for NX will we see a switch in that console in the competitive scene? I wonder how that would work. The biggest thing being the controller, really.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
IDK, I probably won't buy the NX and instead will buy a last gen system like PS4 when the PS5 is out. That way I can get everything cheep.

I'm sore. My grandma is too old to live in the retirement independent living and assisted living costs about 4+ thousand $ monthly so my mom and i are moving her to my mom's spare room. I spent 2 hours trying to move a 200 lbs treadmill through the door. The thing is HUGE; I have no idea how it got in the room to begin with.
So I'll be busy this month.

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
IDK, I probably won't buy the NX and instead will buy a last gen system like PS4 when the PS5 is out. That way I can get everything cheep.

I'm sore. My grandma is too old to live in the retirement independent living and assisted living costs about 4+ thousand $ monthly so my mom and i are moving her to my mom's spare room. I spent 2 hours trying to move a 200 lbs treadmill through the door. The thing is HUGE; I have no idea how it got in the room to begin with.
So I'll be busy this month.
Why does your grandmother need a treadmill? Oh, and I as well will be furious if the next Zelda game isn't on the Wii U.

Signed up for North West Majors. You going @DJTHED?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Why does your grandmother need a treadmill? Oh, and I as well will be furious if the next Zelda game isn't on the Wii U.

Signed up for North West Majors. You going @DJTHED?
She doesn't. I was trying to get it out of the room she was moving into lol.

I played some wifi after not playing for a month. Couldn't get the timing down. You know those days when you're like 20-30 frames late for everything? Oh well. :/

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
@Izaw Nice set you uploaded with Ryo. Really down to the wire. Btw, were you staling your Fair on the Ike or is that what happens with heavy characters? I'm used to FAir being ridiculously powerful, but it didn't seem to kill Ike until 160% lol.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like the fact ZeRo placed Link so low on his list. Link deserves better than that in my opinion.

LakerLink

Smash Cadet
Or maybe the whole izaw incident, zero seems one of those over comptetive type. He did make a big deal out of some friendly mirror matches, that's my theory.

Lord Renning

Smash Journeyman
Go ahead and let people underestimate Link. It will make it easier to beat them. Don't you want it to be easier to beat Zero when you go to EVO?

Top Bottom