• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

Zebkeet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ivan_Revi_Adames
I dreaded the idea that a company like ESPN would try to pick up Smash, or eSports in general.

If they start broadcating eSports, I won't be happy. Pretty much means we'll get unwanted attention.
i'm pretty sure attention and growth is exactly what we need though.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
To add to what these guys said, until you've hit the ceiling with your character, you shouldn't and don't deserve to complain. All those things mentioned aren't breaking the character, he's viable just like almost every other character. Everyone has room to improve and since we don't know what Link's limit is, its almost ignorant to assume he's not viable.
Link is indeed viable. He does have potential you just can't doubt a character because of his/her flaws like slow air movement or fast falling speed. Link's potential is hidden, you just have to find it. and also, improvement is key as well. That's why it's good to lab a character.

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Kirrinblade 7th in his pool
(didn't make it out)
Soronie 4th in her pool
(one from making it out)
Izaw 3rd in his pool!
(He's making it to day two!)
Scizor 3rd in his pool!
(2nd link going into day 2!)
2/4 links made it to Day 2! Soronie was so close ;__;

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
User was warned for this post
Link is indeed viable. He does have potential you just can't doubt a character because of his/her flaws like slow air movement or fast falling speed. Link's potential is hidden, you just have to find it. and also, improvement is key as well. That's why it's good to lab a character.
Hidden? LOL. You mean like Shulk's hidden, unviable potential ?

Last edited:
Hidden? LOL. You mean like Shulk's hidden, unviable potential ?
Oh, good. You're back. I do get bored without someone around for me to give a proper paddling.

I'll lay this out as simply as possible, since you didn't seem to fully comprehend the message the first time around. Are you ready? Read it slowly, so that you're sure you've had time to fully digest every word of what I say.

Ahem.

Leave.

There, that's it. That's my advice.

If you're so certain that Link is not viable, and for some reason this is important to you (and yet you play exclusively on the 3DS? What a thriving scene that must be), stop playing Link, and go worry over the balance of some other character where we don't have to hear you whine.

You lose because you suck. You don't need a faster jab, you need to learn to space and abuse the disjoint on the one you have. You don't need faster dash speed, you need to learn to bombslide, zone, and tilt. You don't need faster fall speed, you need to learn your ****ing hitboxes, and to be grateful for the fact that a bomb-pull once knocked off the edge will almost always ensure you get back to the ledge. I'm sure being able to auto-cancel Dair is just terrible. Link has many persistent, airborne hitboxes that our fall speed lets us abuse. Good luck air dodging through the entirety of Link's Uair animation.

So on and so forth. Learn the character, and suck it up, or just stop crying. It is unbecoming of a "Link main."

Or, if you want to play Link, put the pacifier in your mouth and go lurk the metagame and match up threads. Go through the directory, learn everything you can, and apply it.

Get good. Until you are good viability and match ups don't mean a damn thing. It's an excuse. Until you are at the top of play, every obstacle until that point can be overcome simply by being better than your opponent, so either do it, or get quiet.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
The majority of this board is delusional and have giant tree trunks stuck up their asses.

If Link is so viable as you say he is then get up and go win a national or two. Solo. With Link. No secondaries. The burden of proof is on you. Have fun getting through the swarm of Fox, Captain Falcon, Sonic, and Sheik mains.

Last edited:
The majority of this board is delusional and have giant tree trunks stuck up their *****.

If Link is so viable as you say he is then get up and go win a national or two. Solo. With Link. No secondaries. The burden of proof is on you.
Oh, good, I was worried I'd make it through my day without someone trying to use a logical fallacy to defend their poor ickle ego.

Firstly, you're falling back on preconceived notions, oops! You think Link is bad, so that simply must be the case. It could not possibly have anything to do with your own failure as a player, hm?

Secondly, you're setting up a false dichotomy. It is not either "Link is bad" or "Link is good and whoever plays him wins". Good on you for being such a shining example of idiocy that everyone around you gets to learn what not to do by your example, by the way.

Thirdly, you're Affirming The Consequent with your demand that I go win a national. "If Link is Good, I win. I win, therefore Link must be good." It's entirely possible that I'm just ShinTwist ScreamPaste and something of a huge ****ing badass.

Fourth (I'm having fun, and you're not smart enough to stop me), you're arguing from ignorance. "I haven't seen evidence Link is good, therefore he must be bad".

Fifth (yes, your post was so stupid that my post explaining why it is stupid, is in fact, bigger than your post), you're begging the question. You are assuming as your premise that Link is bad, without any evidence to support it.

Sixth, you are misapplying the burden of proof, because if you read my post, I'm not trying to tell you Link is good, I'm telling you to learn how to play him. Whether he's good or not doesn't matter to me, because, as you might know if you actually hung around here and read a bit, he's freakin' Link.

You cannot prove a negative.
The onnus is on you, who supplied the premise that Link is unviable, not on anyone else who disagrees. "Link is not unviable" is a negative. Your stance "Link is unviable" is an assertion that must be proven.

I could probably pick out two or three more, but I think I've adequately illustrated my point; I get my rocks off by publicly humiliating whiney posters on the internet.

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
The majority of this board is delusional and have giant tree trunks stuck up their *****.

If Link is so viable as you say he is then get up and go win a national or two. Solo. With Link. No secondaries. The burden of proof is on you. Have fun getting through the swarm of Fox, Captain Falcon, Sonic, and Sheik mains.
Lol, the only MU you listed that is "bad" is fox, and that's a MU that still has a lot room to improve. Besides what's your point? "If link is so viable" what? Do you lack the brain capacity to understand words? Link is viable until he's proven unviable, not vice versa. Also no I haven't won a national with link, that doesn't make him unviable and quite frankly thats a stupid argument. Lets take you, Whether you're using link or Sheik you'd still go 0-2 in bracket, guess that makes sheik unviable. Once you've mastered everything there is for Link, optimze every MU, enter many tournaments and improve beyond "this MU is difficult! Mannn, link must be unviable, thats why I lost!" And are a solid player, then we can talk about whether or not link is viable. Until then you're just someone who would rather blame the character than himself, before you ever blame the character for a lose, you should ask yourself what YOU failed at. Not the character.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Just gonna say, I've mained Link for 16 years and have played every serious singles tourney match in Smash4 as Link. I play Link because I love his playstyle and because he's freaking Link. Feeling sorry for yourself or your character is a good way to block your development as a player. You know how many times I've johnned that the MU was just too unfair and that I outplayed my opponent but still lost because Link isn't good? Not a single time. You don't have time to be thinking stuff like that in tourney. You have to focus and figure out what to do. You have to find out what your best options are. You have to read your opponent and counter his moves. You have to think of ways to mix it up when your opponent starts figuring you out. And that's true whether you play Sheik or Zelda or anyone in between.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa

haha, silly boy.

if this is truly how weak-minded and pathetic you are, then you have no business being on these boards or playing this character competitively. does self-improvement even mean anything to you? you sound like a weak, lost and delusional child yourself.
make up your mind, kid, or leave. nobody cares which one you choose, just make sure that whatever its going to be will be the best one. for your own sake.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I see this place is still a pit infested with scrubs, oh God. Whiners and crybabies everywhere.

Dropping in here every now and then just reasserts my notion that quitting was the best choice I could've made. This place is beyond help.

Also, since I'm here let me join in on the fun at least once.

Funny that you didn't mention ZSS, Luigi, Rosa, Mario or any other actual top character instead of just MUs you apparently struggle with. Also, by your definition of viability, only Sheik, Diddy, and ZSS are viable then. How funny that your own list of "unbeatable chars for Link" contains only one viable char. After all, you didn't say regional, you said national.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree that Link isn't "viable", but your logic and premise are so wrong that you defeated yourself. Also, the things that you mentioned would "improve Link" are, for lack of a better word, stupid. Link needs improvement in other areas, but you listed none. That just shows that you not only have no idea on competitive gaming/scene, but that you have no idea on what makes a char viable/op nor on Link.

In case nobody has told you yet btw (I think nobody has taken on my mantle yet),

Welcome to the Link Boards, scrub.

Now go lose until you win.

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I see this place is still a pit infested with scrubs, oh God. Whiners and crybabies everywhere.

Dropping in here every now and then just reasserts my notion that quitting was the best choice I could've made. This place is beyond help.

Also, since I'm here let me join in on the fun at least once.

Funny that you didn't mention ZSS, Luigi, Rosa, Mario or any other actual top character instead of just MUs you apparently struggle with. Also, by your definition of viability, only Sheik, Diddy, and ZSS are viable then. How funny that your own list of "unbeatable chars for Link" contains only one viable char. After all, you didn't say regional, you said national.

Don't get me wrong though, I agree that Link isn't "viable", but your logic and premise are so wrong that you defeated yourself. Also, the things that you mentioned would "improve Link" are, for lack of a better word, stupid. Link needs improvement in other areas, but you listed none. That just shows that you not only have no idea on competitive gaming/scene, but that you have no idea on what makes a char viable/op nor on Link.

In case nobody has told you yet btw (I think nobody has taken on my mantle yet),

Welcome to the Link Boards, scrub.

Now go lose until you win.
Come back elessar! We need you... T_T
Por cierto, porque te fuiste en primer lugar?

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Come back elessar! We need you... T_T
Por cierto, porque te fuiste en primer lugar?
Me fui por que deje de jugar principalmente. I actually quit the game around the same time I was demodded, so my motivation to endure the constant stream of annoying, entitled, whiners posting here was gone. I began playing somewhat again around October, but I didn't feel like becoming a regular poster again.

Besides, once I left all the Lurking scrubs decided to become active (for better or worse) so I found the idea of Fox having to deal with them amusing.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I dropped by today because I'm state side (Orlando, Florida) and wanted to look for any tourneys or something in the area. So far, haven't found anything.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Me fui por que deje de jugar principalmente. I actually quit the game around the same time I was demodded, so my motivation to endure the constant stream of annoying, entitled, whiners posting here was gone. I began playing somewhat again around October, but I didn't feel like becoming a regular poster again.

Besides, once I left all the Lurking scrubs decided to become active (for better or worse) so I found the idea of Fox having to deal with them amusing.

Edit: In case you're wondering, I dropped by today because I'm state side (Orlando, Florida) and wanted to look for any tourneys or something in the area. So far, haven't found anything.
I'd kind of assume the Florida folks are mostly in Genesis 3. Sorry I can't help there (although I'm not too familiar with the scene down there). Have fun in Orlando though!

Kirrinblade 7th in his pool
(didn't make it out)
Soronie 4th in her pool
(one from making it out)
Izaw 3rd in his pool!
(He's making it to day two!)
Scizor 3rd in his pool!
(2nd link going into day 2!)
2/4 links made it to Day 2! Soronie was so close ;__;
Nice. To be fair, the last time I saw Kirin play, he seemed a bit rusty to be honest. Izaw seemed to 2-0 his pool except Oni Heero (he beat Pink Fresh 2-0). Not sure if he went Link or Sheik though. Looks like Scizor fought his way out. Got 2-0ed his very first match, but had a bunch of 2-1s to get out of pools. Soronie was pretty close yeh. Any idea if any of these matches were on stream?

Last edited:

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
Well you can go to twitch. Search showdowngg2 past broadcasts n it's up there. But the sonic was reading him hard off stage

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
haha, silly boy.

if this is truly how weak-minded and pathetic you are, then you have no business being on these boards or playing this character competitively. does self-improvement even mean anything to you? you sound like a weak, lost and delusional child yourself.
make up your mind, kid, or leave. nobody cares which one you choose, just make sure that whatever its going to be will be the best one. for your own sake.
How on earth was this post deemed nasty enough to receive a warning?
Oh, and greetings Elessar Elessar

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna say, I've mained Link for 16 years and have played every serious singles tourney match in Smash4 as Link. I play Link because I love his playstyle and because he's freaking Link. Feeling sorry for yourself or your character is a good way to block your development as a player. You know how many times I've johnned that the MU was just too unfair and that I outplayed my opponent but still lost because Link isn't good? Not a single time. You don't have time to be thinking stuff like that in tourney. You have to focus and figure out what to do. You have to find out what your best options are. You have to read your opponent and counter his moves. You have to think of ways to mix it up when your opponent starts figuring you out. And that's true whether you play Sheik or Zelda or anyone in between.
I've been using Link for 9 years. I enjoy playing as him and he's one of my favorite characters. sure, he has some MU that most will find tough. but reading your opponent and then getting a opportunity to strike is like that of a zelda game. (if you think about it) i'm a decent player, but I'm eager to learn new tech that will help me get better.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
soronie plays shulk now anyway, also izaw is out he lost to Sassy that same R.O.B. that beat scizor at low tier city

Last edited:

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
Damn gone for a few days come back to all this ( should of brought popcorn ).. As weird as the Link boards are, I love it here.

StadiumGambler

Smash Rookie
So yeah, posted in the tourney results thread, but I haven't formally introduced myself yet. I'm B-Cash, the only full-time Link main holding it down in Sask, up in Canada. I TO or help TO the Sm4sh local scene in Regina, which pretty much started from nothing in July of this year cause our scene is very Maylay-centered. I'm pretty bad as a player, but I get by results-wise due to other people choking or just sorta falling into my offense. I'm mostly active on Anther's, although I am trying to get more smashfests going once the holidays and exams remove some IRL trolling from our group's equation.

I'm about to get a LAN adapter, should be arriving Wednesday, but I'll be down for spars starting tomorrow now that people I live with aren't consuming all the bandwidth. If you live in the Midwest/West Coast/Great Lakes area/Whatever the section of USA is called with Illinois and Indiana/Canada, I'll be down to play and learn from you, hopefully with minimal lag on my end. We've got a city vs city crew battle coming up and I'm gunning for one of the 5 slots, so I've gotta push to get better.

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
So yeah, posted in the tourney results thread, but I haven't formally introduced myself yet. I'm B-Cash, the only full-time Link main holding it down in Sask, up in Canada. I TO or help TO the Sm4sh local scene in Regina, which pretty much started from nothing in July of this year cause our scene is very Maylay-centered. I'm pretty bad as a player, but I get by results-wise due to other people choking or just sorta falling into my offense. I'm mostly active on Anther's, although I am trying to get more smashfests going once the holidays and exams remove some IRL trolling from our group's equation.

I'm about to get a LAN adapter, should be arriving Wednesday, but I'll be down for spars starting tomorrow now that people I live with aren't consuming all the bandwidth. If you live in the Midwest/West Coast/Great Lakes area/Whatever the section of USA is called with Illinois and Indiana/Canada, I'll be down to play and learn from you, hopefully with minimal lag on my end. We've got a city vs city crew battle coming up and I'm gunning for one of the 5 slots, so I've gotta push to get better.
Stuff like this is what I like to see. Keep up the good work.

ZeldaZephyr

Smash Apprentice
Never heard of Erow.

Wait? Hyrule Hero wasn't at Genesis?! awwww I was looking forward to seeing him there.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Never heard of Erow.

Wait? Hyrule Hero wasn't at Genesis?! awwww I was looking forward to seeing him there.
Hm, about to say, never heard of Erow. Anyone here know of him?

Seems like he got knocked into losers by Larry Lurr and knocked out by someone named Rin.

Erow = Mew2King in Smash 4 ranking lol.

Last edited:

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
i think he's the (relatively obscure but really good) snake from brawl, ctrl+f for some results here or check his old smashboards account for more -- if he's him and still in cali he might just barely play and be carried by brawl fundamentals, ima ask around

there is also an erow powerranked in Reno and players from there did go (see their facebook):
Updated: 12/30/15
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/619057094778540/

1. Zombe :4mario::4ryu::4pit:
2. Keith Ape :4fox::4feroy::4metaknight:
3. Erow :4wario2::4zss:
Edit: no never mind reno sucks that's not him suddenly switching chars or anything

Last edited:

GhettoNinja

Smash Ace
NNID
DaGhettoNinja
3DS FC
2724-1629-7971
Rin is the Japanese WFT that got top 32 I believe. According to the offical results Erow went solo link. Crazy to think he out placed not only Soronie and Izaw, but also Scizor, according to results alone wouldn't this make him the best placing link ever? At least compared to Scizor's top 32 at Paragon and Rooky's 19th(?) Placing at smashcon

ScizorVX

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys just dropping to talk about Genesis a bit I went mostly link I lost my first set in winner's as Greninja then went link the rest of the tourney I'm definitely motivated to push link even further I had the set against haruki's sheik but dropped my dthrow uair several times I'm bad at buffering fh uair out of dthrow -____- but I feel like that mu isn't as horrendous as I initially thought I've gotten deeper into it with better and better sheik players its still bad but not by a large margin IMO also hung out with kirin/izaw/kila/fierce and dove into link's meta for awhile, we're just one movement speed/dash attack/boomerang buff away from high tier IMO most of us agreed to that but link is really strong as he is right now with the recent changes but he does have some difficult match ups that just make him obsolete due to him being very immobile but in due time we'll find a way around it sorry for the giant wall of text :/

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
Rin is the Japanese WFT that got top 32 I believe. According to the offical results Erow went solo link. Crazy to think he out placed not only Soronie and Izaw, but also Scizor, according to results alone wouldn't this make him the best placing link ever? At least compared to Scizor's top 32 at Paragon and Rooky's 19th(?) Placing at smashcon
Rooky got top 16

Top Bottom