• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link can indeed recover with his Remote Bombs

JohnKnight416

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Reddemonknight
All the information was discovered Bakasama

Check out this his thread where he and I had a long conversation on Link recovering with his Remote Bombs:
https://smashboards.com/threads/lan...ad-training-mode-tested.464174/#post-22768840
:ultlink: Link
Nair: 6 frames
Fair: 11 frames
Bair: 6 frames
Uair: 14 frames
Dair: 19 frames
Fullhop height: 3 stage units
Shorthop height: 1.5 stage units
Bomb stats: Pull takes 39 frames. Detonation takes 11 frames. Throw takes 23 frames. Bombs have 60~ HP.
Interesting Notes: Link can infinitely recover with bombs it seems. Throw them down and blow them up, that's all it takes, you can also zdrop-detonate. Bombs can take roughly 60 damage before exploding on their own. Bombs can't be blown up in someone else's hands. Link's dtilt can't meteor anymore (dunno if it could in 4, could in melee). Link can shorthop bair and double jump, but cannot shorthop nair and double jump.
When Keep in mind that BOTW Link's Bomb mostly send you horizontally than vertically at about a 45 degree angle.

Here is some footage of Link using his bomb to launch himself multiple times. Hopefully this gives you a good idea on how Link's Remote Bomb recovery method works.

https://streamable.com/o13k1

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
So, Link WILL recover as long as able to act before hitting blast zone? Not only that but doesn't this mean Link can chase anyone off stage as long as he doesn't UpB? Crap. I thought I was done with Link this time around. So, now I can't decide between Link, Yink, Inkling, G&W, or Pkmn Trainer. This is a very big deal to me because his UpB recovery is so crappy.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
So, Link WILL recover as long as able to act before hitting blast zone? Not only that but doesn't this mean Link can chase anyone off stage as long as he doesn't UpB?.
Not necessarily, a good counter-strategy could be for the enemy to hold onto his bomb if it's been left on stage. I'd say it's slightly less viable than in previous games, as you can only have one at a time that the enemy can control.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily, a good counter-strategy could be for the enemy to hold onto his bomb if it's been left on stage. I'd say it's slightly less viable than in previous games, as you can only have one at a time that the enemy can control.
You can just blow it up if the opponent approaches the bomb.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
You can just blow it up if the opponent approaches the bomb.
Of course, but that won't always be possible. And if the enemy does manage to capture it, then you are without one of Link's most useful moves.

I wonder what happens if Villsabelle pockets it?

So, Link WILL recover as long as able to act before hitting blast zone?
The whole process of Z-dropping + detonating takes a little bit more than 1 second if my estimations are correct (70~frames) so yes, you need some time to act and execute the whole thing. You also need to not blow yourself into SD :p

Anyone get to test this?
I didn't test it (i don't have the game yet) but i'm pretty sure that Villager and Isabelle can indeed 'pocket' the remote bomb, then making bomb recovery impossible.

The wiki states: ''[...]special moves that can only create limited numbers of objects can be rendered ineffective if they get pocketed, such as R.O.B.'s Gyro, Wii Fit Trainer's Header, Wario's bike, King K. Rool's crown and Bowser Jr.'s Mechakoopas.'' Source: Smashwiki Pocket

I think pocket is a very strong option against Link's new bomb especially with the buffs that the move received in Ultimate:
Pocketed projectiles no longer vanish after 30 seconds and can be kept indefinitely.
Grab can now pocket items.
Source: Smashwiki Villager

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane - Thanks! I was trying to find anything that mentioned the functionality of pocketing items of that nature and I was honestly not having any luck. Thanks for clarifying. It still doesn't make Link dead in the water against Isabelle or Villager but that's gonna definitely be a good way to upset the matchup. Villager would just be vulnerable to all the other projectiles if they decide to permanently hold the bombs so it's manageable. Now if some crazy good character to lock down the bombs that would be a totally different story and would ruin Link for me. Still like the potential here.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane - Thanks! I was trying to find anything that mentioned the functionality of pocketing items of that nature and I was honestly not having any luck. Thanks for clarifying. It still doesn't make Link dead in the water against Isabelle or Villager but that's gonna definitely be a good way to upset the matchup. Villager would just be vulnerable to all the other projectiles if they decide to permanently hold the bombs so it's manageable. Now if some crazy good character to lock down the bombs that would be a totally different story and would ruin Link for me. Still like the potential here.
Aren't disjointed hitboxes the bane of villager?

Beef Orb

Smash Rookie
You know what I don't like about his bombs? You can't blow them up if they're in enemy hands and I think that's ****ing ********.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
You know what I don't like about his bombs? You can't blow them up if they're in enemy hands and I think that's ****ing ********.
Well, it's not like they can do anything with them. It only does one percent when throw, they can't detonate it, and they can't use the majority of their moves while holding it.

Top Bottom