• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Limits on Stage Creations

trash

Smash Rookie

i don't mean to spoil everyone's fun, but i noticed that there's a bar at the top of the HUD whilst creating a map that reads "remaining parts".

What does it mean? do we have a bank of parts? maybe we have to unlock them first?
it just seems like nintendo has some great ideas but keeps cutting them short with ridiculous limitations.

let's hope this is just a small detail and is a larger range for creation than what it looks.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
It only means that you cannot use more than somewhat parts. Like, anything above might lag your game, or noticeably increase the loading time. That's why the restriction.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
Could be for fps reasons, but I know in the tony hawk games it felt like the restriction was crippling sometimes. There's no reason for them to have a signifigant limiter if the parts that you make it out of are so basic, I can only see it being there so people don't fill the screen with crap.

rockmace

Smash Apprentice
seeing that this editor is massively similar to the one used in megaman powered up, that remaining parts is a way to prevent creating unplayable stuffs ; so that you dont:

create a spiked only area
fill an area with hazards
place lots of platforms, with little to no space between them, so wasting space but still using polygons

in an overall, this doesn't limit really the editor, not badly. my only concern is, this maybe wont allow for closed areas where characters never fly out.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
its just like tony hawk's create a park. You can only put so much into it or it will lag.
The bigger stages will have a bigger start bar than the smaller stages.

i wonder if you could make a box. so you can't fly out.. ever.

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
It's meant to both stop you from making horribly stuffed stages, as well as force you to think logically about your stage before you dive in. I like it, honestly. I have a feeling the meter will change depending on the size of the stage.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I think it means there's no more space to place the parts. I mean only one part may go in each square. So if you fill all the squares then the remaining parts bar fills up completely. That's my theory

Brockman5

Smash Ace
I think it's like the tony hawk stages *as said above*
the more stuff you put in slowly the remaining meter fils up...also some parts fill the meter more then others...

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
There's 13 blocks on the stage right there, so judging by the size of the bar I'd estimate 100 blocks could be used.

trash

Smash Rookie
yeah, i was just scared there for a second, haha.
i'm sure everything will be fine though.

besides, it's a stage editor, what more can i ask for?

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
Okay, the first image shows the "medium" stage being selected.
Then we see this:

The grid is fully zoomed out. You can tell because the option to "Zoom Out" is greyed.
From here, we can see we have a 14x11 grid to work with. That's 154 squares.

If you measure the "Remaining Parts" bar, you'll see it's 112 pixels. The filled segment is 17 of that. Do the math, and you have 15% filled.
That means you can get 6.66 times more stuff before it's filled.
We got it filled to 15% using 10 blocks and 4 ladder segments.
Do some more math, and you'll see that we can have 66 blocks and 22 ladder segments before we reach 100%.

It's important we don't assume the ladders and the blocks carry the same value. Some pieces might be more "expensive" than others.

Using those numbers, you could build a stage that looks like this:

I wouldn't worry about not having enough pieces...

Sir James

The Doctor
A limit needs to be placed in order to save stability. I'm sure the size won't be an area of concern. We'll most likely be able to craft stages comparable to the official stages.

BackItch made a very good point of this. Nice job with the presentation by the way.

El Sabroso

Smash Cadet
NNID
RicoSabroso
3DS FC
2492-5549-4843
it's good to have a limit some times... imagine play a custom stage on wifi with a map like melee big blue, just think in all the lag... loading a big map, saving temporaly on ur wii, send and recieve all data costs a lot of time, so the limit is good for a comfort play...

and for the people that like final destination, if this scene don't will appear, it can be build...

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
So why did this need it's own thread instead of being posted in, I dunno, the official stage builder update thread?

rsc_390

Smash Apprentice
Okay, the first image shows the "medium" stage being selected.
Then we see this:

The grid is fully zoomed out. You can tell because the option to "Zoom Out" is greyed.
From here, we can see we have a 14x11 grid to work with. That's 154 squares.

If you measure the "Remaining Parts" bar, you'll see it's 112 pixels. The filled segment is 17 of that. Do the math, and you have 15% filled.
That means you can get 6.66 times more stuff before it's filled.
We got it filled to 15% using 10 blocks and 4 ladder segments.
Do some more math, and you'll see that we can have 66 blocks and 22 ladder segments before we reach 100%.

It's important we don't assume the ladders and the blocks carry the same value. Some pieces might be more "expensive" than others.

I wouldn't worry about not having enough pieces...
I agree that we should have enough pieces. But you DO realize that all your calculations are based on the assumption that every single piece takes up the same space on that bar (which we cannot confirm).

----------------------------------------

Don't worry though guys. I think your Wii's processor's ability to handle the level is more important than that extra piece you couldn't fit lol.

BackItch

Smash Journeyman
In my post, I cautioned against assuming that every piece takes up the same space on the bar.

And my calculations make so such assumption. I've kept the ratio of ladder and blocks the same. I don't need to know what the value of a single ladder is. All I need to know is that the bar will move 15% if you add 10 blocks and 4 ladder segments. That's also why I kept my example to only ladders and blocks. No spikes or conveyor belts.

Here's what I DID assume, tho:
I'm assuming that the fourth ladder segment, the one that's highlighted and still being moved around, is accounted for in the bar's tally.
Aside from that, there's very little assumption here.

matthewdw94*

Smash Apprentice

I wouldn't worry about not having enough pieces...[/QUOTE]

smart...

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Personally, I think it's enough for myself. I can make some really awesome stages with this space alone. Unlike Timepslitters, I don't want to use my entire SD card for a map.

(Although a city wide TS map would be so full of win, Chuck Norris himself would play it.)

PITforREV

Smash Journeyman
its not the limit in the amount of pieces that is worrisome, its teh fasct that there arent that many different pieces and styles of pieces.......for example-You SHOULD be able to place any kind of platform in this mode-a platform form yoshi's island, a platform from battlefield.....Instead each background has a set style for the piecees.

On a seperate note....what does switching palletes mean? does this mean you can change the pieces colors????

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I would really like to make scrolling stages, but I extremely foresee that being a limitation. I'm still find with that. Its still a great addition. But I'm not expecting too much. Believe it or not, I'm still more excited over SE Adenture mode (and the possible return of Event mode) than Create-a-Stage.

Top Bottom