• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lil Mac's Air Game (Recovery): OverB vs UpB vs NeutralB

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
So pretty much everyone knows that Mac has horrible air game, its worse then Shaq's 3 pointer ability on the NBA 2k games. But how -horrible- is it really? Well frankly his A attacks are absolutely garbage in the air, never use them naturally. So what about his B moves? Well there is UpB, OverB and Neutral B. What do these moves do? well lets take a look:

UpB: Makes Mac do a spiral upwards into a powerful combination, Generally bad for recovery cause it doesn't have much movement to the left or right, or range when going upwards.

OverB: Makes Mac do his lunging downwards punch, this is actually really good for Recovery, probably the best he can get in terms of recovery. The cons of this though is that while it is good at recovery and probably his best recovery move... It doesn't have a lot of range, and while it does allow it to attack, characters who counter can counter it really easily.

NeutralB: NeutralB is a charging punch mainly used to strongly assault the player on the ground, when there are multiple players. It can be landed into, however it is not precisely the best move to recover with as it takes time to charge up. However if you can land back on the stage the idea of using it to immediately assault the player who is probably edge guarding.

So normally I use his OverB to recover from in the air, and NeutralB to assault the opponent once I land. So where does UpB come into play? Well it frankly doesn't, only use it really to combo the person into the air. If you are feeling adventurous you can learn to time Macs DownB to counter an opponent and get back on the stage, however its very dangerous to use, and I don't recommend newbies doing this.

So there is some tips on how to use Mac's Airgame Recovery style... Im still working on figuring out more about Mac, so if you have any comments on how to make this better, or more aid to those learning Mac, go ahead and pitch in.

Last edited:

xJMANx

Smash Rookie
NNID
DagenaisJ
I use Mac's up B on my combos from the ground and sometimes use it to hit someone who is already in the air.

I don't like using neutral B once I hit the ground because if I miss, it leaves me open for a punish. I just wish Mac's A aerial attacks weren't such a joke.

Over B attack is probably the best for aerial movement.

xJMANx

Smash Rookie
NNID
DagenaisJ
>Using neutral B ever
Neutral B is very niche. If you use it extremely sparingly and as an edge guard, you can catch people off guard. Still, I don't like the .75 sec fatigue after the move that leaves you vulnerable to a punish.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Neutral B is very niche. If you use it extremely sparingly and as an edge guard, you can catch people off guard. Still, I don't like the .75 sec fatigue after the move that leaves you vulnerable to a punish.
Thats only on a full charge, I don't full charge. Off a mid charge you can recover instantly.

xJMANx

Smash Rookie
NNID
DagenaisJ
Thats only on a full charge, I don't full charge. Off a mid charge you can recover instantly.
I did not notice. What I did wish his neutral b would do is allow him to travel through the air as if he is on ground as a recovery move. Anyone see any problems with allowing Mac to travel in air with his neutral B?

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
I did not notice. What I did wish his neutral b would do is allow him to travel through the air as if he is on ground as a recovery move. Anyone see any problems with allowing Mac to travel in air with his neutral B?
Mmm, I don't see any problem off the grid with it, but I might be overlooking something.

bebo27

Smash Cadet
NNID
imkewlhuh
there is no situation where you should use neutral B instead of ftilt or dash attack.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
there is no situation where you should use neutral B instead of ftilt or dash attack.
Tell that to the people I slaughter with the Neutral B, The fact you assume there is no situation makes it all that easier to surprise you and hit you with it. As I said, a fully charged one is suicide, but jabs with it are useful when in combat.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
You need UpB to mix up your recovery vs people like Mario, while also not landing on the stage. (And effectively also dying)

NeutralB is bad, but the armor on it means it's the fastest armor Mac can get out.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
You need UpB to mix up your recovery vs people like Mario, while also not landing on the stage. (And effectively also dying)
^ This. For this reason, I use Up-B to recover fairly often.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax

NeutralB is bad, but the armor on it means it's the fastest armor Mac can get out.
I agree, I can use it, its just when I get launched I tend to go so far out I can't get back with up B.

xJMANx

Smash Rookie
NNID
DagenaisJ
Mac's Up B for recovery is different from other character's recoveries as you have very little movement left or right once the Up B animation has completed (feels very rigid). The issue I would have with the Up B recovery is that any good ledge guarding character can punish Mac under the stage because his Up B doesn't go as high as other characters (or at least that's what it seems like).

Mixing the Up B recovery sparingly is probably the way to go. Forward B at different heights of the map is prevelant way to go to stay alive.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Mac's Up B for recovery is different from other character's recoveries as you have very little movement left or right once the Up B animation has completed (feels very rigid). The issue I would have with the Up B recovery is that any good ledge guarding character can punish Mac under the stage because his Up B doesn't go as high as other characters (or at least that's what it seems like).

Mixing the Up B recovery sparingly is probably the way to go. Forward B at different heights of the map is prevelant way to go to stay alive.
you are right in that it has limited range compared to the other characters, which is a reason I tend to not try to use it.

Doruge

Smash Journeyman
You should always Up-B to recover if you can, way less punishable. If you mostly use side-B then you are just asking to get gimped. And his aerials are not useless, neutral air is great

bebo27

Smash Cadet
NNID
imkewlhuh
Tell that to the people I slaughter with the Neutral B, The fact you assume there is no situation makes it all that easier to surprise you and hit you with it. As I said, a fully charged one is suicide, but jabs with it are useful when in combat.
again, anytime you hit someone with neutral B you could've hit them with a MUCH better move. just because it works for you doesnt mean the move is good or useful. neutral B is not a "surprise" it is very telegraphed and easy to see and avoid.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Guys, don't neglect the Down-B.
If someone tries to gimp you with a projectile or tries to chase you, a well timed Slip Counter will actually often bring you into recovery range. It's saved my life on multiple occasions.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
If someone tries to gimp you with a projectile or tries to chase you, a well timed Slip Counter will actually often bring you into recovery range. It's saved my life on multiple occasions.
It does indeed, however as said I would not attempt it unless you are confident in your timing, because doing so is also pretty much a death sentence if you miss.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
Double Post But...

Had a run in with a friend where I countered in the air today, I wound up going off the edge unable to recover XD So unless you're moving towards the stage never counter in the air near the edge! Ever!

SilverScarfFox

Smash Rookie
NNID
SilverScarfFox
3DS FC
0748-3351-5260
Note that Air NeutralB has less release time compared to the grounded version in which you basically do almost instant air NBs and Mac goes like a pixel forward but the hitbox last quite awhile to where even when he lands, it can still hit. But of course use it sparingly.

Mode

Smash Cadet
Side-B Recovery is extremely punishable and has only one hitbox. I think it should only be used for mix ups and when it's your only recovery option. Neutral B is a terrible option. I only ever use it when I break shields. bebo27 has a good point. If you could have used neutral B then you could have used a better option. Instead of using it for superarmor on edge guarders you could have just countered instead. If you used as a way to attack then you could have just used your side-B instead. Up-B is an amazing recovering tool if you can get in in range to do so. It constantly catch people slipping thinking I'm going to side-B by just dropping low and using my jump to put myself in a good position. The Up-B has plenty of hitboxes on top of it all so if you aim it right you can catch someone waiting by the edge off guard with the last hit from it which gives you an easy passage to getting off the edge after.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Side-B Recovery is extremely punishable and has only one hitbox. I think it should only be used for mix ups and when it's your only recovery option. Neutral B is a terrible option. I only ever use it when I break shields. bebo27 has a good point. If you could have used neutral B then you could have used a better option. Instead of using it for superarmor on edge guarders you could have just countered instead. If you used as a way to attack then you could have just used your side-B instead. Up-B is an amazing recovering tool if you can get in in range to do so. It constantly catch people slipping thinking I'm going to side-B by just dropping low and using my jump to put myself in a good position. The Up-B has plenty of hitboxes on top of it all so if you aim it right you can catch someone waiting by the edge off guard with the last hit from it which gives you an easy passage to getting off the edge after.
Gotta watch out for swords though, Uppercut doesn't exactly snap
well compared to other recoveries so it isn't foolproof.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
I don't like using neutral B once I hit the ground because if I miss, it leaves me open for a punish. I just wish Mac's A aerial attacks weren't such a joke.
first off, don't fully charge the neutral B. if his fist is turning read, hit B quickly to do a less then fully charged version which, while still sending you a decent distance and has some nice damage, does not result in all that tail lag. just release it early at any time and you'll be fine.

also, his aerial, while bad, have their uses. namely his Nair. if you Nair someone else in the air, it will carry them with you, so you can psuedo-cide them, at least you could pre 1.0.4. not sure if you still can. at least in the last patch you could stun-lock them in it, but I think it doesn't stun as well now, so they can escape.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Some have walls all the way to the bottom, though ;)
so few people are aware of Mac's wall jump, it seems... it does wonders on his recovery in 4 Glory, especially if it's stages with walls down to the bottom.

a wall jump to immediate UpB should get you high enough to grab the ledge, though you'll need to immediately move toward it during the Up B because it's still kind of cutting it close...

Last edited:

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
Little Mac has an insane vertical recovery range if he can have access to his wall jump. If you wall jump, then tilt his Up-B toward the stage(so that you face the ledge), then hold toward the stage(for small horizontal momentum), you're pretty much guaranteed to grab the ledge every time.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
Jolt Haymaker is gimpable by anyone who realizes they have a forward air. Not to mention any character with a sword can smash attack you just before you reach the ledge. A lot of characters can also his you just before you reach the ledge with their down smash. You CAN clank these attacks with your Jolt Haymaker, but the timing and positioning has to be perfect. This is incredibly unreliable as it depends on your position while recovering and when your opponent chooses to attack.
Oh and course Mario gets a free KO with his cape if you use Jolt Haymaker.

I almost exclusively use Rising Uppercut when I need to recover. It is extremely vulnerable to stage spikes, but with good timing you can hit your opponent before they land their own aerial. I find myself living a lot longer in matches this way.

I rarely use Straight Lunge. Maybe once every 30 games. It's not a good move, but as stated many other times it doesn't have the giant end lag if you interrupt the charge. I rarely use this move to beat out an aerial or tilt with my super armor. This usually catches my opponent off guard unlike Slip Counter which is obviously a counter. Still though the only thing that makes it usable is how it's something I almost never use.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539
I save side b for aggressive bashes, recovering from max distance with up b is usually the best way to go since your other options risk gimping way more. You can't ledge grab until up finishes so it's best to either hit your opponent as they come after you with it or time it to launch up to the stage.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Same here. Down B is a real life saver for me.
When I can recover with UP+B instead of SIDE+B, I go for it. SIDE+B can be extremely easy to intercept sometimes.
I've never recovered with Neutral B but I have used it as edgeguard. Also as fake-outs on counter-abusing opponents (for Glory only), I initiate Neutral B when my opponent is getting back on the stage, and before they reach my punch range/altitude, I trigger it so I purposedly miss. By then my opponent has entered a counter, which by the time it ends, I'm already midway through a Fsmash attack.

It works at least once in a match, which in For Glory means half the match. :D

Top Bottom