• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Likelihood of 2B in Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ntarianSP4CE

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6188-3854-4790
Joker's in, I feel like anything goes now as long as they're a video game character.

Personally, I'd settle for classic Doomguy as well (maybe based off of his MS DOS look from Doom 1 & 2), but 2B's mostly on my radar now since Sora seems like a crap-shoot.

-4nt

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see 2B in ultimate. She's not involved with nintendo at all but hey, she wouldn't be the first one. Honestly Nier itself is a very underrated game with not much attention(i played it, it is great), however i don't see her getting enough attention for being a smash character.

4ntarianSP4CE

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6188-3854-4790
I'd like to see 2B in ultimate. She's not involved with nintendo at all but hey, she wouldn't be the first one. Honestly Nier itself is a very underrated game with not much attention(i played it, it is great), however i don't see her getting enough attention for being a smash character.
Aye, and neither is Joker affiliated with Nintendo. 2B seems just as likely as him, and the only thing that worries me would be licensing with Square. But hey, she's at least far more feasible than trying to get the licensing for Sora considering Sakurai would need to speak with Square and Disney. If we got Cloud, we'll be able to get 2B (especially considering Platinum Games were the ones that developed the title as well, i imagine they'd have some say in the matter).

NineS

Smash Lord
Sorry for the rather late response.

I'm your local 2B guy on Smashboards, you can expect to find me in the General discussion thread or in the 2B support thread.
It's right here! https://smashboards.com/threads/2b-activates.452887/
Feel free to drop by!
We've got our plenty of reasons for her to be in, or why we think her chances are high.

Loving that signature you've got there by the way.

Now, as for the topic of this thread... Apologies in advance for the essay you're about to see:

Joker is not affiliated with Nintendo in any shape or form, aside from Shin Megami Tensei having appeared on Nintendo consoles, as well as Persona Q2, starring Joker, being on the 3DS. That being said, he technically has had a Nintendo appearance, however he has had it in the similar way Cloud has had.
2B has appeared on a Nintendo console, the Switch, albeit not through Nier or any other Square Enix game. She has appeared in Phantasy Star Online 2 alongside 9S and A2 on various consoles, switch included.

Now, as for the licensing. Would 2B's and NieR's licensing be easier to obtain? Yes, by far. The composer for the music of NieR: Automata has already worked on music of various smash installments, Ultimate included. Yoko Taro himself says he'd like to see 2B in Smash. Yoko Taro, as well as the rest of the team that worked on NieR claimed they'd like to get it on the switch; the producer, Yosuke Saito, stating his as well. So overall, clearly less hurdles than Sora. Sakurai and Yoko Taro also seem to have a small friendship as well, for what it's worth.

The whole playstation thing also doesn't seem to matter as much as it has, here is something I have posted in 2B's support thread:

Firstly, this article: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...blematic-of-smash-bros-ultimates-dlc-approach
Reggie speaks of how they're approaching DLC here.
This line stuck out to me:
Fils-Aime explained that Sakurai and the team working on Ultimate's DLC don't necessarily see characters from franchises not typically associated with Nintendo as a limiting factor when it comes to Smash Bros.
This line could mean many things. Overall, it does mean that regardless if the character is traditionally seen as an Xbox or Playstation character, they still have a chance of being the DLC, similar to Joker. Some have taken it as meaning "Doors open for all we're interested in, if they're looking to work with us", others have taken it to saying Characters that aren't viewed as Nintendo but still have games on Nintendo consoles (In other words, characters like Snake or Cloud) have a chance. Either way, this bodes well for her regardless.

This line also stuck out to me:
“Mr. Sakurai, he's not only a student of Nintendo franchises, and obviously he's had his hand in a few, but he's a student of video games from a total perspective,” Fils-Aime said. “And so he's been the driver in really thinking about what type of character coming into Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would bring just a whole different level of fun and enjoyment for the player."
Here, Reggie seems to be confirming our suspicions that Sakurai in fact does still hold some level of power in picking the DLC characters. So, I suppose "Sakurai-bias" can still come into play.

There is also this, from another article: https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/1...is-coming-to-super-smash-bros-ultimate-as-dlc
"These are characters that are new to the series... characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."
Yet another quote from Reggie. This seems to potentially deconfirm Geno, as he is not "new to the series", having had a Mii costume for DLC in smash 4, and a spirit in Ultimate. This could bode well for 2B, seeing as less competition the better, but this is probably a plus for all potential Square Enix reps that aren't Geno and Mallow.

Another thing to note, as stated before, the team behind NieR: Automata all wish to get it onto the switch. Now, a reliable Atlus leaker with a very good track record claims that this collaboration, being Joker as Smash DLC, has been in the talks for quite a while. Joker is meant to act as promotion for a Persona 5 port coming to switch which will be revealed the day he is available to download. Going by this, their DLC choices may be based off of popular recent picks that could potentially promote future titles. 2B also fits this bill extremely well.

So, overall, I do think 2B's chances are higher than Sora's, but also because I feel Sora's have been lowered significantly thanks to various reasons since Joker's reveal, and 2B's chances have been raised significantly thanks to Joker's reveal along with other circumstances.
I want to say she is looking likely to a degree, but I do not know if I can trust myself enough to believe my own judgement isn't clouded by bias in some way.

And if she isn't in, oh well. Here's to hoping for round 2 of Ultimate DLC. Until then, 2B in Soulcalibur VI will keep me busy. (She comes out on Dec. 18th. Also, there's rumours floating around something NieR-related... Keep an eye on the 22nd.)

Last edited:

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
You have convinced me 9S. I think the most exciting thing would obviously be the music. Nier has an absolute killer soundtrack and would add well to smash.

NineS

Smash Lord
You have convinced me 9S. I think the most exciting thing would obviously be the music. Nier has an absolute killer soundtrack and would add well to smash.
The soundtrack in Smash would be amazing to me. The main reason I want her in is to bring more attention to the franchise.

but getting Birth of a Wish, or Song of the Ancients as a song while playing as one of my favorite characters is a bonus.

If only it was always that easy to convince someone.

4ntarianSP4CE

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6188-3854-4790
Sorry for the rather late response. (deja vu)

I'm your local 2B guy on Smashboards, you can expect to find me in the General discussion thread or in the 2B support thread.
It's right here! https://smashboards.com/threads/2b-activates.452887/
Feel free to drop by!
We've got our plenty of reasons for her to be in, or why we think her chances are high.

Loving that signature you've got there by the way.
Thanks for the link, and thank you for the compliment.

Joker is not affiliated with Nintendo in any shape or form, aside from Shin Megami Tensei having appeared on Nintendo consoles, as well as Persona Q2, starring Joker, being on the 3DS. That being said, he technically has had a Nintendo appearance, however he has had it in the similar way Cloud has had.
2B has appeared on a Nintendo console, the Switch, albeit not through Nier or any other Square Enix game. She has appeared in Phantasy Star Online 2 alongside 9S and A2 on various consoles, switch included.

Now, as for the licensing. Would 2B's and NieR's licensing be easier to obtain? Yes, by far. The composer for the music of NieR: Automata has already worked on music of various smash installments, Ultimate included. Yoko Taro himself says he'd like to see 2B in Smash. Yoko Taro, as well as the rest of the team that worked on NieR claimed they'd like to get it on the switch; the producer, Yosuke Saito, stating his as well. So overall, clearly less hurdles than Sora. Sakurai and Yoko Taro also seem to have a small friendship as well, for what it's worth.
Frankly, that all is very reassuring to hear.

I figured she'd be in a very similar situation as maybe Bayonetta since they're both Platinum Game characters. And in the case of Square Enix, while we did get Cloud in the end, we only got one stage, 2 tracks, and no additional tracks for Ultimate. That anecdotal evidence is worth noting, i do think Square could possibly get nettled if they have any say in this matter (if they even do to begin with).

Yet another quote from Reggie. This seems to potentially deconfirm Geno, as he is not "new to the series", having had a Mii costume for DLC in smash 4, and a spirit in Ultimate.
At this point, I just want Geno in so TerminalMontage can be happy. Poor guy has been waiting for Geno for years. I won't exactly complain if Geno gets in, god knows people have been waiting for him as long as Ridley and K Rool, but I won't be sad if 2B makes it in before Geno and Sora.

Anyways, i'll be sure to check out the thread later.

-4nt

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
IDK I think there would have to at least be a port, spin-off, or cameo announced for a Nintendo console, potentially along side the fighter reveal unless I missing something like this already happening.

Animedeaf

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-3684-6708-6684
Hello! I love 2B so much because she's one of my favorite female video game characters.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hello! I love 2B so much because she's one of my favorite female video game characters.
You're not the only one who has this opinion, friendo! She's arguably one of the most popular/recognizable modern video game characters. There are several people who bought Soul Calibur 6 solely for her, for example. She's not only deservedly marketable because of her stylistic design, but the game she originates from is simply a masterpiece.

So let's see... She's recent and popular, no doubt. Not only that, she was already featured as cross-promotion in the following in some capacity:

Soul Calibur 6
Lord of Vermillion
Servant of Thrones
Gravity Rush (AKA Gravity Daze)
Star Ocean: anamnesis
SINoALICE
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
VALKYRIE ANATOMIA ‐THE ORIGIN‐
Monster Hunter Frontier Z

Aside from that, apparently Sakurai has played every Nier and Drakengard game, IIRC. There seems to be some level of mutual respect between him and the director of Nier Automata (Yoko Taro). Did I mention that Yoko wants to bring Nier to the Switch?

Long story short, she seems likely, IMO. And she has a lot of source material to work with. Her game even has segments that involve sidescrolling on a 2D plane, similar to Smash.

Both Square Enix and Platinum Games have characters in Smash, AND she was already a playable guest character in a game whose devs are very friendly with Nintendo that helped develop Smash 4 and Ultimate (Namco Bandai). If Nintendo is on board, it'll happen. It should happen!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom