• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lightning Kick ledge guard?

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
Not sure if this would be useful or not but if you dash off the ledge and lightning kick you will usually kick in the same spot. I thought that might be useful for ledge guarding people if they are rising at that angle. You could also consistently hit the same spot since it is exactly at the time of leaving edge that you use it. I figure it could be useful at blocking recoveries at that angle.

Edit: I found additional use for this you can Short Flash (neutral a) someone off the stage and then lightning kick them immediately after. The lightning kick will be unavoidable and it will count as a combo. It only works at the lower percents though. I wish i had video capturing software to show this properly.

Last edited:

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
Short Flash? Do you mean jab?
Yes! that is exactly what i meant. My terminology isn't that good yet. I don't know why I did not just say jab. I am not sure if this will be useful at all but I thought might be a cool niche thing to know.

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yes! that is exactly what i meant. My terminology isn't that good yet. I don't know why I did not just say jab. I am not sure if this will be useful at all but I thought might be a cool niche thing to know.
Nah, that's fine! Sounds interesting, I'll try it out.

Nintendo Fan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gamer-Robert1498
3DS FC
3050-7577-7020
So I happened to have performed this once in For Glory but on complete accident. Usually, I can easily perform running off the edge into a lightning kick against a recovering opponent (situational) but didn't think of jab comboing into one. I use jab randomly to have it connect a lot since it's one of those what-the-heck disjointed moves and it's good against knocking off players who just came back on the platform or who are open from ledge-attacking my shield.

Anyways, I tried this in training mode on Final Destination against 5 cast members of “different” statures (Ness, Jigglypuff, Palutena, Bowser, and Ganondorf), and was able to hit them with the jab and connect with the kick at a low percent (from about 15-25% before the jab). Of course, it was easier to hit the larger characters, but it took me a couple of tries to hit Pikachu when I tried it out of curiosity. I know it's not a fast-falling thing since Captain Falcon was easily kicked. Also, Jiggypuff was knocked horizontally so I had to jump again once at the edge for the hit to connect (this KOed at 35%). Moreover, I d-tilted Pikachu instead with the same criterion and it worked better. All of these were performed when the opponent was exactly in front of me standing at the edge (like really close to the edge) My guess is to just perfect shield against a ledge attack (if for some reason the opponent is already on the ledge at 15%) then execute. I also used the GamePad to control and air-dodged as Ganondorf so it seems a bit sketchy; hope that the opponent doesn't press the shield button suddenly. I'll try to use it more in battle to get a better insight.
I'm not an expert tester or anything but this is what I found.

Edit: It seems to depend on whether or not a character is pushed diagonally or horizontally with the jab. I could combo into a KO as high as 65% with Greninja and Sonic didn't get hit past 24%.

Last edited:

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
So I happened to have performed this once in For Glory but on complete accident. Usually, I can easily perform running off the edge into a lightning kick against a recovering opponent (situational) but didn't think of jab comboing into one. I use jab randomly to have it connect a lot since it's one of those what-the-heck disjointed moves and it's good against knocking off players who just came back on the platform or who are open from ledge-attacking my shield.

Anyways, I tried this in training mode on Final Destination against 5 cast members of “different” statures (Ness, Jigglypuff, Palutena, Bowser, and Ganondorf), and was able to hit them with the jab and connect with the kick at a low percent (from about 15-25% before the jab). Of course, it was easier to hit the larger characters, but it took me a couple of tries to hit Pikachu when I tried it out of curiosity. I know it's not a fast-falling thing since Captain Falcon was easily kicked. Also, Jiggypuff was knocked horizontally so I had to jump again once at the edge for the hit to connect (this KOed at 35%). Moreover, I d-tilted Pikachu instead with the same criterion and it worked better. All of these were performed when the opponent was exactly in front of me standing at the edge (like really close to the edge) My guess is to just perfect shield against a ledge attack (if for some reason the opponent is already on the ledge at 15%) then execute. I also used the GamePad to control and air-dodged as Ganondorf so it seems a bit sketchy; hope that the opponent doesn't press the shield button suddenly. I'll try to use it more in battle to get a better insight.
I'm not an expert tester or anything but this is what I found.

Edit: It seems to depend on whether or not a character is pushed diagonally or horizontally with the jab. I could combo into a KO as high as 65% with Greninja and Sonic didn't get hit past 24%.
How methodical. I'll try to write my posts more like this. Anyway thanks for all the info.

Xys

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1435-5012-4542
Any advantage going for lightning boot over her meteor down smash?
The angle they are coming from. If they were coming up from a 90 degree angle i would go for the boot. If they were coming from the side foot would be ideal. Both would kill if hit at the side of the stage.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Interesting, I'll have to try this sometime. I've been a lot more hesitant to use her lightning kicks due to her slow they are.

It should also be worth noting that you can also try forward air as a ledge/get-up option. If your opponent whiffs a punishable move near the edge, or if you think they won't shield, you can short hop (iirc?) forward air. Helps if they're tall.

Top Bottom