• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Light Sheilding + Sheild DI

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
>.> do it!

But really, I've been playing around with new things against my friends, since they're kinda terrible and I consistantly 2-3 stock them when i'm trying to be flashy... but I'm seeing a lot of hope with this. When you light sheild you of course cover more of yourself with your sheild *something G&W can definately use* but you fly farther away, which can be good or bad depending on situation.

Ever watch them pros guys? Tilting their sheilds so that they either don't get either sheild stabbed or they slide a way they want to? Say you wanna get pushed away by falco's dair... G&W can't hold your sheild away cause he'll just poke your sheild, but going away and light shielding together pushes you quite a ways away. idk if it'll get you out of grab range with falco, but it's a nice mixup, and you can use it against a lot of things.

I've been useing it against ganon's fairs quite consistantly, if you get trapped in your sheild, but you light shield + sheild DI it away you're gonna go FAR away, far enough to start outspacing him again.

Of course you can Shield DI closer if you don't wanna get sent far away, honestly sheild DI is lovely, and i'm loving it more each day.

Platforms:

oh god, oh god oh goddddddd yes. it's so nice to light sheild their attack, get hit off the platform and be instantly out of shieldhitstun to jump up and attack again. Get hit off the stage and BAM fair straight to their face.

What are your guy's thoughts on light shielding to escape sheild pressure/set traps on platforms and such?

Dax

Smash Journeyman
well, I just think that this is the Only thing G&W can do in many situations. :laugh:. Seriously, its shield just sucks. If you play against a good player, you'll get ***** if you can't light shield consistently and of course DIing away is helpful.
Still, i'm trying to focus my games more on knowing priority than shielding. For example u tilt has good and not well known priority, but of course it's slow and if you miss... :\. I'm also doing some experiments with the dash attack but so far they haven't been successful.

CalamityofCox

Smash Ace
well, I just think that this is the Only thing G&W can do in many situations. :laugh:. Seriously, its shield just sucks. If you play against a good player, you'll get ***** if you can't light shield consistently and of course DIing away is helpful.
Still, i'm trying to focus my games more on knowing priority than shielding. For example u tilt has good and not well known priority, but of course it's slow and if you miss... :\. I'm also doing some experiments with the dash attack but so far they haven't been successful.
i have agree with majority of wat you said.

DualCats

Smash Ace
Shield DI is epic. <3 In most cases, I try to opt for crouch canceling into d-tilt. But that's not always practical, especially against Falco. (Or at higher percentages, obvz) I'd rather trade hits, even as G&W, if I'm confident I can string together a nice enough combo out of it. Particularly against fast-fallers. Maybe I'm doing it wrong; I don't know. D: I've noticed a problem in my play-style recently wherein I'm far too aggressive.

Top Bottom