• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Are we sure it's fixed? Knockback is determined by in an A+Bx form, where x is the damage, A is the constant representing initial knockback, and B is the constant representing the growth rate. Melee Ness's forward throw had a high A, and a low B, but the B was not zero. Yoshi's down tilt had a largish A and it's B was zero, so it was fixed.

What I'm trying to say is that it would be hard to determine whether it's fixed knockback without sufficient testing. So if you have proof of this claim, or have tested it yourself, or can cite someone who has tested it, please feel free to back it up.

No, I meant it has a large A and small B

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Looks like you can still combo with the dthrow, the utilt looks more useful, PK Flash looks fast, downB looks useable, usmash could probably combo, dash attack looks the same, fitting 6 bairs into 2 jumps are just ridiculous, fthrow looks stronger, uthrow still doesn't really do anything, any more things?
You could never really combo into down throw because of DI in Melee...Also, the dash attack is faster, combos better and has less range than it did in Melee.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
IT combos better than Melee?! How ****ing well does it combo?!?!?
In Melee you could DI out of his attack by hitting back, up or crouch canceling the last two hits. It was only really useful if you hit with the very last spark, and had some startup time.

In Brawl, this move hits quickly and the sparks come one after another really fast, so if the first hit lands, the others will also land.

Also, in Melee, this attack didn't really DO anything. even at low % it popped the opponent up too high to really combo. But in Brawl, it has greater stun and knocks them over Ness's head, just withing range of an Utilt, Usmash or Uair. (Or even PK Flash if you're feeling frisky).

Arcade

Smash Ace
It's still plenty long-range enough to keep him from getting shield-grabbed. Which is a big advantage not many characters have.

Levitas

the moon
Um, do you know what a mindgame is? The idea is that you condition your opponent into a punishable response to your movement/attack pattern, and then absolutely rail them for it later.

Mindgames take creativity and originality to come up with, and probably should be thought of in-match in order to grant the maximum advantage over your opponent's playstyle.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
is that hard to share via internet or something >_>? I guess i don't understand mindgame then.. i feel dumb now u_u. maybe i should have asked if he has any bait and punish techniques such as tricking with PKT and coming back around with PKT2 to the face....

Levitas

the moon
Just wait a bit until more people have the game. The way characters can move will play a huge roll in how to bait people in brawl, but until the game speeds up considerably, it'll be hard to trick people.

I mean, in melee, one of the most basic baiting techniques is to run forward until you're about to enter their strike zone, then wavedash back. The idea is that they'll have guessed that they could hit you and gone for it, and with it missing, they're wide open to counter-attack.

With wavedashing out, it'll be interesting to see what mobility tricks brawl brings to the table. And if nothing else, you can watch vids of good people playing and think to yourself "what were they thinking at this point" and "why did that work".

For example, in that tourney that Gimpy posted vids for, there was a marth that baited people into attacking him with aerials, but would at that point shield, and do an up-b out of shield. It worked, but it worked too well. We shouldn't expect these things to happen everytime, especially if it's a technique based on them falling into a trap.

So basically have a bit of patience, and we'll share ideas in due time.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Oooh. People have mindgames in Brawl now. And I'm glad you finally changed your avatar jmansmash. It's so confusing when I post right below you or something. (I haven't been on Smashboards for a couple days so I'm behind.) Anything new?

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I wonder if Grasshopper stance will still be a viable mindgame without DJC?

(Jmansmash, is that a custom avatar? I've never seen it before, and if it is, then how on earth do you use custom avatars?!

Levitas

the moon
Lol, it isn't custom. There's a new set. Also, What's grasshopper stance? Of all the time I've been on the melee Ness boards, that hasn't come up.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Grasshopper stance was one of the never-used Ness mindgames that I came up with. Basically, you never stood, you just continuously short hopped again and again. Because Ness's DjC made it possible to accellerate backwards and forwards in the air, it made him surprisingly unpredictable. Whenever I started hopping away from him, King Kong used to say "Not that stupid grasshopper stance again!"

Also, a trick was to turn around whenever Ness touched the ground, so you could effectively keep them guessing as to whether you would use Bair or Fair.

Also, once the opponent got used to the grasshopper stance, you could break it suddenly and just run at them and attack normally, which was surprising if done correctly.

It was an annoying defensive trick. Hopefully I'll be able to do it in Brawl, especially with the new air dodge.

Levitas

the moon
lol, bowyer always did that with falco while waiting for people to get in range of either a fsmash, ftilt or dair, and it kept it ambiguous as to which one he'd do. It's been a while since I've seen anyone do something like that.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Even Ademisk got a new avatar. Maybe I should get a new one.

Brawl is too floaty for my liking right now. So far, those KDJ videos are the fastest I've ever seen played for Brawl so far. Any new vids on Ness of someone actually good?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
We'll have to wait for the game to come out I think (cuz Ademisk was too lazy to record himself. What a NOOB!).

I'm kinda liking the new Ness now, esp. his psi magnet. I always wanted to stall with that. I wish he had Lucas' psi magnet though....

Was the fair's range decreased a little bit? It looks like it to me. And the animation does not last as long. That's what I'm getting from vids at least. The uair looks much faster too as well as the dair (though it still has some noticeable startup lag).

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Hey, sorry I'm off topic a bit but why does Ness have both a goth costume and an emo costume? Is nintendo getting so desperate that they would attempt to appeal to the scum of society? (No offense goths and emos)

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
All I knew was he had a black shirt. I never saw a close up to see Mr.Saturn. When I said his emo costume I was referring to his white shirt and pink hat costume. Geez just tryin to bring a little life into the forums...

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
And I thought I was an ***.

How the hell did you get all that to be Caps?
Actually, I have no idea...I was in Gamefaqs mode when I posted that, I totally forgot that capslock gets edited on Smashboards.

Maybe it doesn't consider quotes to be capslock?

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
This thread won't really have anything till people start getting Brawl. Then there will be things to talk about. For now, all we can do is speculate and come up with random off topic posts.

Levitas

the moon
I am so happy nobody uses my avatar ^_^
It's 'cause Laharl pales in comparison to... um... apparantly everything.

Also, my avatar kicks ***! It's cool, because my avatar and sig were made by the same guy, who is soley responsible for all art that has represented me on the boards (with the exception of my earlier avatar.

Top Bottom