• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk practice.

Landitty

Smash Cadet
Hey Smashers!
I want to talk about things you can do to improve you playing in Melee & PM during periods of time when your all by yourself with no one to play with. What have you guys found to be productive alone practice?

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Hey Smashers!
I main Luigi & Marth in Melee and Mewtwo & Roy in Project M.
I'd like to start a discussion on practicing for competitive level play. We all have to clock in the hours, but how do we go about doing it? Sure, you can sit in training mode and practice tech skill forever- but how do you actually start applying it when playing against other people? For example- if a newer player is trying to get better at using wavedashing to increase their movement capability, how do they start transitioning to actually using it in a fight without gimping themselves? I'd love to hear how everyone feels about how this training process should go, since it's something we all have dealt with. Have at it.
ez
You can start by using them at fests or during friendlies at different events. You can also practice the computers from time to time.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Movement techniques are so useful that it's hard to pinpoint the situations it's going to be useful in.
What I do when I learn a new one is that I spam it until I know all the situations when it's bad to do it, since those are less numerous. From there, I am able to know what options are and aren't good at any given time. And the mixup game begins.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
While you're learning, it shouldn't really matter too much if it gimps your play or not. Just try to use the techniques as often as you can so it becomes second nature. After you have it down, you can figure out when and why to use it.

Landitty

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
we sittin here, I'm supposed to be franchise player and we still be talkin bout practice?

not game, but practice?

do keep in mind that advanced movement options only do so much if you have bad spacing.
That's quite true. I've played against some really fast Fox/Falco players that had way better tech skill then me, but they weren't able to guard their space consistently enough, and in the end I got through and won with Marth's range. Spacing definetly comes first.

While you're learning, it shouldn't really matter too much if it gimps your play or not. Just try to use the techniques as often as you can so it becomes second nature. After you have it down, you can figure out when and why to use it.
That's a nice simple way off looking at it. That's what I did for a long time.

Movement techniques are so useful that it's hard to pinpoint the situations it's going to be useful in.
What I do when I learn a new one is that I spam it until I know all the situations when it's bad to do it, since those are less numerous. From there, I am able to know what options are and aren't good at any given time. And the mixup game begins.
That's another great point. You kind of have to just jump in and take a test drive until you see where a technique is most applicable.

@ McSlur McSlur
Dude, that video was insanely cool. Thank's for sharing. I actually never knew that about level 7 cpus having mixed DI's lol! Mabye it's like common knowledge but whatever I'm glad I know now. I'll do that for combo training from now on.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
That's a nice simple way off looking at it. That's what I did for a long time.
The big thing when trying it that way is that you have to stick to it, even if you are getting bodied. The moment that you go back to the way you used to play, because it feels more comfortable, you start getting into bad habits and losing the muscle memory that you gained while attempting advanced techs in actual fights. I've got friends that need to keep that stuff in mind, so it's not exactly easy, but it's worth remembering.

MysticSkarps

Smash Cadet
What I do, is I practice in training mode, until I have the tech skill/ combo/ trick pretty easy to use. Then I practice it on CPU's, until it's second nature

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
The purpose of this thread is to discuss methods of advancing your skill through practice. Everyone does it different, so a lot of different ideas might be brought to the table, and I think that is something cool to discuss. I've been playing 10+ years and I wouldn't be so daft to think I know it all. The best players out there practice everyday. But apparently your better than them so I'm quite sorry to bother you lol. ✌
Bruh.

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
The purpose of this thread is to discuss methods of advancing your skill through practice. Everyone does it different, so a lot of different ideas might be brought to the table, and I think that is something cool to discuss. I've been playing 10+ years and I wouldn't be so daft to think I know it all. The best players out there practice everyday. But apparently your better than them so I'm quite sorry to bother you lol. ✌
smh

Landitty

Smash Cadet
LOL! "SMH" Says the guy who's status reads "Just started playing smash for the first time and I'm in love!"
Yo them basketball references sneak up on ya like a late red traffic light give me a break bro
SMH

Last edited:

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
LOL! "SMH" Says the guy who's status reads "Just started playing smash for the first time and I'm in love!"
Yo them basketball references sneak up on ya like a late red traffic light give me a break bro
SMH

It was just a joke to say you didn't see the video.....
Goddamn dude....... you brought up my first day status.... that low blow stuff. (i just changed that)

btw just go to locals and play friendlys, where i live theirs so much PM and Smash4 play.
look for "groups" in your area on smashboards .

http://smashboards.com/categories/groups.384/

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
What I do, is I practice in training mode, until I have the tech skill/ combo/ trick pretty easy to use. Then I practice it on CPU's, until it's second nature
Though I'm sure people would disagree with my method of doing this, I generally try to only practice against bots when trying to learn the skill all at once because I feel pressure while trying to use the technique properly. Bots cannot suffice for regular players, but they can be a significant help in learning things like low-jump attacks out of shield because if you're actually playing one of the few bots that can provide significant shield pressure, you learn how to do it while trying to get used to that kind of pressure.
But, then again this is all considering if you don't have anyone to practice with for weeks on end... But, generally training is just better with friends (Hopefully friends that are any good at Smash), and local players.
--
On the subject of training... Does anyone have a suggestion how to learn to wavedash out of shield? I know the inputs and the like, but I've been having a really tough time actually nailing the technique down in this particular situation.

Last edited:

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
Wow...I won't lie...that reference went way over my head. Sorry @ PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP ...I'm a baseball guy lol. I genuinely thought you were just dissing my bad haha. Man...basketball references? That's out up in the stratosphere with Rayquaza for me sorry man haha. I wouldn't know Michael Jordan from Michael Bolton.
lol first thing I thought about when I saw the title... that was from 02!? damn really....gettin old

this topic should be dedicated to Allen Iverson. He was a great ball player and had to deal with some demons in his life

Last edited:

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
On the subject of training... Does anyone have a suggestion how to learn to wavedash out of shield? I know the inputs and the like, but I've been having a really tough time actually nailing the technique down in this particular situation.
try to not full press the shield that way when u jump u can full press it

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
try to not full press the shield that way when u jump u can full press it
Didn't think I did fully pressed the shield button down, but I'll keep that in mind (Even though I sorta thought I was doing that anyway). Oh and if it helps, I keep tap jump off and only use "Y" for my jump. I believe I set X to a grab.

Last edited:

Naggy

Smash Cadet
NNID
OfficialFelon
Ever since 3.5 released I've been getting a lot of use out of the hitbubble and hitstun color overlays in debug mode. It's really great for understanding your overall tech skill since you can see whether something is a true combo or not.

Landitty

Smash Cadet
@ zFrost zFrost As far as wavedashing out of shield, I prefer to do it by shielding with the R-Button, then doing a normal wavedash with the L-Button, if that makes sense. It just feels like more of a spontaneous option that way. Also, you can just hold down the R-Button and keep wavedashing in and out of shield! It works quite nicely!

Last edited:

Ramz289

Smash Journeyman
@ YourFaithfulStudent YourFaithfulStudent
Yeah your right them low blows can get outta hand...peace man haha. That's cool you have PM in your area...I'm originally from Florida where Smash is huge but I'm taking a break to live in Colorado for awhile and enjoy the outdoors but man...It also means a break from locals...all people care about out here is Brawl & Smash 4. Great games, but I'm a Melee/PM player so it get's lonely lol. I do plan on moving to Cali in a couple years though, that should improve things immensly. For now, it'll just be flying to tournaments for me.
You can reply to multiple people in one post.
@ zFrost zFrost As far as wavedashing out of shield, I prefer to do it by shielding with the R-Button, then doing a normal wavedash with the L-Button, if that makes sense. It just feels like more of a spontaneous option that way. Also, you can just hold down the R-Button and keep wavedashing in and out of shield! It works quite nicely!
Like this.

-----
I recommend a series on reddit called "Mind over Meta". It's REALLY good. The most recent one talks about training.
http://www.reddit.com/r/SSBPM/comments/2s39n4/mind_over_meta_8_taking_off_the_training_weights/

Last edited:

YourFaithfulStudent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PortalSage51
Cali has so much smash going on from what i heard. hang on and stay strong!
the 2nd best thing i can come up with is to get a lan adapter for your wii and play some PM online.
theres a meet up thread and people are always looking for others in pm.

i would love to play but most of my time is going to smash 4 with this huge comm and its coming up at the end of this month.

http://smashboards.com/threads/hous...-on-feb-28th-2015-please-bring-setups.344694/

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Training mode and facing Lvl.9 CPU's are basically my only way for getting better at PM (or Smash in general). Not much of a tournament goer....for now at least.

zFrost

how do i title
NNID
z13124
i main lucas so i have a jank setup and my r button isn't shield xP

Landitty

Smash Cadet
i main lucas so i have a jank setup and my r button isn't shield xP
Ah dude I see! Yup, main Mewtwo and Roy in PM and with Mewtwo I use my R-Button as a jump, so that I can quickly hover-cancel c-stick aerials. It's a little more meticulous to wavedash out of shield with just the L-Button

Last edited:

MysticSkarps

Smash Cadet
I do the same thing with mewtwo. I just be really quick, and press the shield button immediately after letting go.

Top Bottom