• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Mario Circuit.

Do you believe Mario Circuit should be legal?

• Yes.

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • No.

Votes: 30 42.9%

• Total voters

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'd like to discuss whether or not Mario Circuit deserves to be a legal stage.

For those of you unfamiliar with the stage, I highly encourage to you look at the Mario Circuit: Stage Research thread to get a better understanding of how the stage works and its layout.

I am arguing from the point of view that Mario Circuit should be legal. In fact, compared to the other two stages often talked about, Wuhu and Skyloft, I feel Mario Circuit is much more deserving of a counterpick spot.

A general overview of the stage. It has roughly the same size base platform as Smashville, while having vertical and horizontal blastzones identical to Battlefield. The base stage layout is very unique in that there is a centre placed platform, much like Halberd, however it is high enough that most characters cannot shark through it with standing hitboxes like up tilt or up smash. This adds for an interesting dynamic and unique alternative to stages like Battlefield, Lylat, and Halberd, where platforming is present but not readily in the way of aerial approaches. The stage transforms much like Delfino, and goes through 8 transformations in total at 16 second intervals.

There are two primary hazards on this stage. The Shy Guys that race around on the track, and the track itself while the stage is in motion. Shy Guys will do 10% total damage to a player, and are capable of killing players at around 135% or higher. Mario will die at the Start Line transformation at 135%, keeping in mind that the blastzone during this transition is much lower. At lower percents, they have relatively low base knock back. The stage will alert the player of the the Shy Guys coming with an alert sign and sound that lasts for 3 seconds, with the Shy Guys arriving 2 seconds shortly after, giving the player roughly 5 seconds to react. The Shy Guys are easily avoided, often times on the side wall of the stage to the players, or underneath where the players are.

What is important to note is that the Shy Guys will not always appear. It a random chance of them appearing in the designated 6 of the 8 locations, and often times you will go several transformations without seeing them. There are other times where only one Shy Guy will appear, as opposed to the usual 8.

There is one spot on the stage where players are most likely to be hit by a Shy Guy, and that is in this location:

As you can see, there is a ramp there. In the event Shy Guys appear on this transformation, some will ride the ramp and can hit players at roughly short or full hop heigh directly at centre stage. It is usually only 2-3 Shy Guys that do this, and is visibly seen well in advance.

The stage itself will only become a hazard during certain points of the transition, and are very easy to see ahead of time once you are familiar with which parts of the stage become active hitboxes. It does 12%, and can kill characters at roughly 125%+ depending on how the player hits the track.

As a comparison, the Bomb on Halberd will do 20-30% to a player depending if it is a direct hit, and is capable of killing Mario at 100%. The Claw will deal 10%, killing Mario at 135%. The Laser, if dealt in full damage, will deal 37% to a player, and is capable of killing Mario at 90%. Both the Bomb and the Claw will allow for 11ish seconds of warning before hitting either player, while the Laser will fire in about 7 seconds after activating.

The most concerning element of this stage concerns a bug that this stage has, which can be seen here:

In order for this glitch to occur, the player needs to hit the track on the price frame the track enters in to its stationary stop, or hit the track on the precise frame it begins to leave. This can be replicated by using Bunny Ears in training mode with a character that has multiple jumps and jumping into the track as it leaves the transformation. While it is lethal, it is requires very deliberate timing, and is rare in singles play.

Something else noteworthy is the following:

Watch until near the end of the video. It is unknown as to whether or not this still exists, as several patch updates have occurred since this.

Overall, the stage layout is quite neutral in many respects. The dangers posed by this stage are similar to Halberd in that they are few in number, telegraphed well in advance, and appear infrequently. The blast zones are consistent with most legal stages, and the dynamics of the stage offer unique aspects not yet explored. It is my feeling this stage should be a legal counterpick.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
If the OHKO bug is truly out, I'm all for it, but others had reported that it's still in. How can we be sure it's been removed?

Edit: Furthermore, even if the similar bug couldn't be replicated on purpose, I would have great issue with it being possible on accident. The degree to which it would shift a match is immense, and worse if it's a reward given by luck rather than player ability.

Last edited:
NNID
Budget_Player
The bug has not been removed, but it falls very firmly under the "you will never ever see this ****" category of completely acceptable zaniness - the kind of thing like falling randomly through Lylat or dropping through the floor of Pokemon Stadium 1. It's virtually impossible to recreate unless you're doing it to yourself on purpose. I mean, the fact that we hear this:

If the OHKO bug is truly out, I'm all for it, but others had reported that it's still in. How can we be sure it's been removed?
Is a pretty good sign that it's not something we need to actually worry about.

The track is both completely predictable and fairly stable. The list of places it'll hit you is short enough for any player to reasonably memorize. The Shy Guys are only a threat on one transformation and there only if you get knocked into them. All in all, the stage is really solid for competitive play, offering a really cool, unique mechanic (how often do we see temporary ceilings on our stages?) and very neat uses of hazards for competitive play.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I think it'd be pretty simple, just have someone upload a video of them doing it on the Mewtwo patch. Though to be honest if the timing is really strict and not realistically replicable by the opponent, I am not sure it matters much.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The bug has not been removed, but it falls very firmly under the "you will never ever see this ****" category of completely acceptable zaniness - the kind of thing like falling randomly through Lylat or dropping through the floor of Pokemon Stadium 1. It's virtually impossible to recreate unless you're doing it to yourself on purpose.
Relevant gfy. This happened during Apex 2015.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
That would prove it's still in, not prove that it's out.

The cars are predictable and no problem whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. The glitch is the only thing holding the stage back in my eyes, but I'm not okay with it being there with any realistic chance of it happening.

Ulevo

Smash Master
That would prove it's still in, not prove that it's out.

The cars are predictable and no problem whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. The glitch is the only thing holding the stage back in my eyes, but I'm not okay with it being there with any realistic chance of it happening.
That's kind of what I meant. If people can't provide a video demonstrating it can be replicated, it should be assumed to be removed, or at least altered in a way that it is much less likely to happen. But like you said, whether or not it is realistically going to happen is the key, and I just haven't had it happen personally while playing on the stage or when purposely trying to make it happen.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
That's the concern though; I wouldn't want to move forward and offer it as a legal stage at an event I was running until I has some sort of assurance that it was no longer a feasible event. We have a very clear point at which it's banned (someone uploads a video of it), but no real point at which we have proven that it doesn't exist. I guess after a certain period of time, if it hasn't shown up, it can be accepted, but I'd hate to be the guy who allows it then has someone die to it in their tourney.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
No thank you. Even if there wasn't a 1HKO bug, some of the blast zones are completely unavailable for a little bit. If it's down to last stock, high percents, and your don't have any decent side kill moves while the upper blast line is blocked off, you have no option but to run away and give your opponent the advantage.

Ulevo

Smash Master
No thank you. Even if there wasn't a 1HKO bug, some of the blast zones are completely unavailable for a little bit. If it's down to last stock, high percents, and your don't have any decent side kill moves while the upper blast line is blocked off, you have no option but to run away and give your opponent the advantage.
Can you tell me the transitions or transformations you're referring to.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
There are other stages I'd rather see implemented as CPs in tournaments before this one. PS2, Wuhu, Kongo Jungle, or even Luigi's Mansion come to mind as having priority.
IF this stage gets through, I would want to see other ones with strong hazards, like Gamer or Garden of Hope, considered as well.

That being said, I think the brief removal of the upper blast zones by the stage is a big issue, and is completely unwarranted. And no, you cannot always plan how fights will go, especially with DI involved, so saying "don't try to kill off the top during that transition" is not good enough. The fact that it intrudes so heavily on the match, thereby making it about fighting the stage rather than your opponent, is a dealbreaker that prevents me from supporting it as a legal stage.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Can you tell me the transitions or transformations you're referring to.
There are times during the flying transformation where the upper blast zone is completely unavailable for several seconds. I also seem to recall times where some of the side blast lines are unavailable. If it was something like Skyloft, where it's only a brief moment where a small part of the blast line isn't available, I could still support it, since it's not going to affect things very often. However, the transitions and hazards are so intrusive that the stage itself often dictates the pace of the match.

Someone tell me, since I forgot: Can you tether grab the edges in the flying mode?

Ulevo

Smash Master
There are times during the flying transformation where the upper blast zone is completely unavailable for several seconds. I also seem to recall times where some of the side blast lines are unavailable. If it was something like Skyloft, where it's only a brief moment where a small part of the blast line isn't available, I could still support it, since it's not going to affect things very often. However, the transitions and hazards are so intrusive that the stage itself often dictates the pace of the match.

Someone tell me, since I forgot: Can you tether grab the edges in the flying mode?
Yes, you can. And I personally don't see how the hazards are intrusive. Like I mentioned in the OP, the Shy Guy carts don't always appear, and when they do it is usually out of the way of the players. Even in the few instances where they could hit the player, it's telegraphed in advance. The stage itself is a hazard, but only for very brief moments during transitions.

I think what you're describing when the blast zones become "unavailable" is just that the blastzones change in size during certain parts of the map. That would need to be tested. I'm sure they don't just disappear. Or are you talking about the track being in the way?

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Yes, you can. And I personally don't see how the hazards are intrusive. Like I mentioned in the OP, the Shy Guy carts don't always appear, and when they do it is usually out of the way of the players. Even in the few instances where they could hit the player, it's telegraphed in advance. The stage itself is a hazard, but only for very brief moments during transitions.

I think what you're describing when the blast zones become "unavailable" is just that the blastzones change in size during certain parts of the map. That would need to be tested. I'm sure they don't just disappear.
They don't vanish, they get blocked by the stage. It's usually tolerated if it's the lower blast line, since most meteor moves are relatively easy to read/react to, but if it's the upper or the side, most (myself included) deem it "too intrusive".

Ulevo

Smash Master
They don't vanish, they get blocked by the stage. It's usually tolerated if it's the lower blast line, since most meteor moves are relatively easy to read/react to, but if it's the upper or the side, most (myself included) deem it "too intrusive".
Oh, this. Yeah, to me this is pretty trivial to be honest. You as a player know well in advance when the track is going to be cover the blast zone during transitions, and it is only during certain transformations that one area of the blast zone is covered. Out of the 8 available, only 3 do this, one of which covers the ceiling. These transformations only last for 16 seconds. Obviously this will inconvenience some characters more than others, but that's why it would be a counterpick.

It's not as if the stage randomly blocks the blast zones with mere moments to react. It's all pretty patterned and easy to see in advance, so I don't see the issue here.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Should be legal. There's really no reason this is banned and Delfino and halberd are legal.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I wouldn't totally disagree but I find that Skyloft is a far more deserving stage as it doesn't have all the hazards. In fact this thread mainly proved that Halberd is more of a problem and we should be questioning that stage's viability.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I wouldn't totally disagree but I find that Skyloft is a far more deserving stage as it doesn't have all the hazards. In fact this thread mainly proved that Halberd is more of a problem and we should be questioning that stage's viability.
I don't really believe that's what this thread should be about. I was using them as a matter of comparison only because I believe Halberd is fine as a legal stage, and I feel many others agree. On a side note, if Halberd were to ever be looked at, I honestly believe it would be due to its incredibly low ceiling, not because of anything it has in common with Mario Circuit, such as the hazards.

Whether or not Skyloft deserves to be legal has nothing to do with Mario Circuit's status. I may or may not talk about Skyloft in the future, but whether Skyloft is legal (same with Wuhu) shouldn't have any bearing on other stages.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
I'd think even the cars would be a much bigger problem than the upper blast zone being blocked off for a bit; that's the sort of thing that makes it a solid counterpick in my eyes. It gives a clear benefit to one type of playstyle without being entirely overwhelming for the match. We shouldn't ban stages just because they give some characters a slight edge.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
Isn't that why it is a great counter pick?

I can use it for a character that can kill in every direction, and use it against opponents who only kill via the ceiling to have a small advantage for a few seconds sometimes.

I don't understand how people say the blast zones being cut off is a BAD thing. It's a good thing. The players hsould be totally aware of the transitions and play around it. It isn't random and ADDS to depth/ understanding of the game

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Isn't that why it is a great counter pick?

I can use it for a character that can kill in every direction, and use it against opponents who only kill via the ceiling to have a small advantage for a few seconds sometimes.

I don't understand how people say the blast zones being cut off is a BAD thing. It's a good thing. The players hsould be totally aware of the transitions and play around it. It isn't random and ADDS to depth/ understanding of the game
A counterpick shouldn't give a massive advantage to a certain character. It should be a small buff, just so that the loser of the last game can't John about the stage. Imagine the havoc Rosaluma could wreak if we gave allowed scrolling stages to be legal. Sure, it's a strong counterpick for Rosaluma players to use, but the point is that it's far too strong. It crosses out of the realm of fairness.

I don't recall exactly how the stage runs, whether it's completely deterministic (transformations always occur in a specific order, X transition occurs every Y seconds and stays for Z seconds before moving to the next one) or whether it has random elements to it. Either way, I can say that as a player, I'm not feeling it. It's more fun when the players get to dictate how fast or slow a game runs, rather than the stage. Sure, I'm cool with it when the stage influences it, like the legal transformation stages, but my experiences on Mario Circuit have shown that the stage is more important than the players or matchup.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Well I can say I've experienced the opposite. I agree with you that counterpicks shouldn't give massive advantages to characters. However, I fail to see how Mario Circuit manages to do just that.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
A counterpick shouldn't give a massive advantage to a certain character. It should be a small buff, just so that the loser of the last game can't John about the stage. Imagine the havoc Rosaluma could wreak if we gave allowed scrolling stages to be legal. Sure, it's a strong counterpick for Rosaluma players to use, but the point is that it's far too strong. It crosses out of the realm of fairness.
Having a ceiling for ~30 seconds of a match I don't think is a massive advantage, honestly, and certainly not as big of one as a stage with walkoffs/scrolling.

Besides, we already have Delfino legal and that poops on a few characters pretty hard, I think.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think Skyloft and Wuhu Island are much better stages than this (would be interested to hear why you don't feel that way) but that this is still "okay". It's pretty hard to play around the track hitting you while in motion, and while Skyloft can do this sort of thing rarely, this stage does it "a lot". That being said, it's consistent and predictable, and the transformations on this stage are all very fair (temporary walls/ceilings is such a strange thing to complain about).

In general I do think that the new transforming stages in this game weren't given nearly the fair shake they deserve. This general type of stage is excellent for competitive play, and I find that playing on these transforming stages more often pushes the game in a bit of a more cerebral direction. The transforming stages IMO generally give less total advantage to any character than the static stages but offer a massive advantage to more opportunistic or strategic players, and that to me is an awesome dynamic.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I absolutely love this stage, but it shouldn't be legal over some of the other currently non-legal stages (Wuhu, Skyloft, Kongo Jungle 64). It's not so much the danger of the hazards themselves as that they're around all the time. I'm not a fan of Halberd either, but at least there the hazards happen only very occassionally and are much more telegraphed than the Shy Guys.

I don't think having the sides or top blocked off for a bit is a legitimate reason to ban it, though. We have transforming walkoffs (Castle Siege, Delfino) already, which essentially have the bottom blocked off. Having a stage that sometimes doesn't let you kill people off the top isn't really an issue, especially considering most places run a stage list that heavily favours stages where you can more easily kill off the top anyway.

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice

I don't recall exactly how the stage runs, whether it's completely deterministic (transformations always occur in a specific order, X transition occurs every Y seconds and stays for Z seconds before moving to the next one) or whether it has random elements to it. Either way, I can say that as a player, I'm not feeling it. It's more fun when the players get to dictate how fast or slow a game runs, rather than the stage. Sure, I'm cool with it when the stage influences it, like the legal transformation stages, but my experiences on Mario Circuit have shown that the stage is more important than the players or matchup.
I think you are overselling the ability of this stage to give one character an advantage. It's less swingy than delfino that is for sure.

I also agree with other people that say wuhu island and skyloft should also be legal but I don't see why they should be legal "over" mario circuit. It's not like our stage list is huge and space is rare. We need more stages imo.

NNID
Budget_Player
I think Skyloft and Wuhu Island are much better stages than this (would be interested to hear why you don't feel that way) but that this is still "okay". It's pretty hard to play around the track hitting you while in motion, and while Skyloft can do this sort of thing rarely, this stage does it "a lot".
Yes, but Skyloft's "rarely" is incredibly difficult to map, whereas I can point out every single hitbox on Mario Circuit during a match. It's considerably better for counterplay and playing around the stage.

IvoYaridovich

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4355-9654-5728
For what its worth, my roommate and I tested to see if the instakill glitch was reproducable through an attack when the ceiling transformation started to move again. We started with Rosalina up throwing into it, and in an hour we got it to happen one time, and this was trying purposely to get it. After that, we did however have a lot of success with the high point of an up-throw from Kirby. However, 50% of the time, it only killed Kirby instead of the Sheik I was trying to kill with it. Kirby ALWAYS died if it worked, so its a suicide tactic.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Just something I noticed when reading through - It looks like you edited in the weird glitch video in between two paragraphs about the ceiling "glitch" so it looks like you're saying what happened in that last video is not a glitch.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Just something I noticed when reading through - It looks like you edited in the weird glitch video in between two paragraphs about the ceiling "glitch" so it looks like you're saying what happened in that last video is not a glitch.
I will reword it properly.

Top Bottom