• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about 4th gen

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Because Im old and therefore resist change, hip hop music, kids on my lawn and new fangled computer whatzits, and because I hate 5th gen, let's talk about 4th gen. A time when 135+ base stats were only for psuedo-legendaries, a time when things like Ferrothorn didnt exist, a time when for no apparent reason Salamence got banned :glare: Basically i just want to drum up some conversation about 4th gen competitive play and apparently there's no longer a social thread.

I'll start

Breloom was the best pokemon in 4th gen.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I never understood ScarfTar. Like, literally I had no idea what it was supposed to do. I think in my entire 4th gen career I lost less than 4 pokemon total to scarftar, even with revenge killing.

Now Scarf Metagross, that I can get behind.

Shottymaster

Smash Rookie
ScarfTar never gave me a whole lot of trouble.

SkarmBliss stall was extremely annoying though.

Now - Adamant Rampardos, discuss.

D

Deleted member

I didn't read the OP thoroughly, so ignore this.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Eh, Platinum ruined the game for me. That's when I retired.

I remember when Close Combat was the bee's knees. Also, I remember looking at the Diamond/Pearl strategy guide, looking at U-Turn's description, and thinking, "Old Hidden Power Bug that also lets you switch? That's GOTTA be a typo, because that's stupidly good otherwise."

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
U-Turn is the best move in the game.

And platinum only had one big problem to it, and that was BP Scizor but after about an hour or so of thinking it was the most godly thing since Arceus created the universe from an egg it stopped being anything more than generic revenge killer number 187

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Moving this to the Battle Tower since it's competitive discussion.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Early gen IV NU was the best. CM Rest Drifblim, Magmortar, Exeggutor, other miscellaneous stupid stuff

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I don't think Magmortar and Exeggutor ever left Gen IV NU

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
For me, Gen 3, 4 and 5 feel like the embodiment of 3 things.

Gen 3 feels like a hipster's approach to a game series. Compare Sonic Adventure 2 and Super Mario Sunshine.

Gen 4 feels like a restrained, royal approach to Pokemon. Compare Sonic Unleashed and Super Mario Galaxy.

And Gen 5 fixes so many misc issues that have always pissed me off. Compare what Obama's trying to do with the economy... Unless your republican, then Gen 5 is unique...

And BW2 is a big, Middle Finger to the Gen 3 fans

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
i don't remember gen iv at all..................

sad, really. especially since almost nobody plays it now.

D

Deleted member

And Gen 5 fixes so many misc issues that have always pissed me off. Compare what Obama's trying to do with the economy... Unless your republican, then Gen 5 is unique...
I think Gen 5 is stupid. The entire metagame is based around the 5th gen itself, so the only good pokemon as gen 5, older pokemon with gen 5 only abilities, or very specific things that can handle the two prior. The power creep is absurd. The weird rulings they have to implement alone to keep the game playable in a competitive sense is a strong red flag to how poor the game actually is for competitive play.

Obama is doing a damn good job given the amount of miracles he needs to perform to be a "good" president. We basically told him to fix an economy that can't be fixed, and there's no real reason to believe that we'll just pull out of it, and it's STILL much better.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
I think Gen 5 is stupid. The entire metagame is based around the 5th gen itself, so the only good pokemon as gen 5, older pokemon with gen 5 only abilities, or very specific things that can handle the two prior. The power creep is absurd. The weird rulings they have to implement alone to keep the game playable in a competitive sense is a strong red flag to how poor the game actually is for competitive play.

Obama is doing a damn good job given the amount of miracles he needs to perform to be a "good" president. We basically told him to fix an economy that can't be fixed, and there's no real reason to believe that we'll just pull out of it, and it's STILL much better.
I don't know. I feel like a lot of what's good was good in previous generations with slight or no buffs.

Scizor's the same from Gen IV. Ttar's the same (though perhaps better due to the 5th gen abilities/pokemon). Heatran's the same (better, I guess cause of sand/sun usage). Gengar, same. Jirachi, same. Starmie, Skarmory, Mence, all the same. Tentacruel's slightly buffed with Scald and Rain Dish usage. Infernape, Forretress, Breloom (unless you're playing with unreleased abilities), and Blissey are all the same. Zone is only buffed in usefulness because of Ferrothorn.

Basically, the "very specific" things seem to be...um...less specific perhaps.

Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Don't tear me apart for it please. :x

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman

:( So Gen V is SSBB of the series... I knew it! :mad:

I don't know. I feel like a lot of what's good was good in previous generations with slight or no buffs.

Scizor's the same from Gen IV. Ttar's the same (though perhaps better due to the 5th gen abilities/pokemon). Heatran's the same (better, I guess cause of sand/sun usage). Gengar, same. Jirachi, same. Starmie, Skarmory, Mence, all the same. Tentacruel's slightly buffed with Scald and Rain Dish usage. Infernape, Forretress, Breloom (unless you're playing with unreleased abilities), and Blissey are all the same. Zone is only buffed in usefulness because of Ferrothorn.

Basically, the "very specific" things seem to be...um...less specific perhaps.

Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Don't tear me apart for it please. :x
^ This ^

TL?

Smash Ace
:( So Gen V is SSBB of the series... I knew it! :mad:

^ This ^
Gen 5 is godlike you fool.:bee:

-Arguably the best OST (competing with G&S+remakes of course).
-Interesting and varied locations.
-Only seeing gen 5 mons for the main quest gives the game freshness and consistency.
-Unlimited TM use.
-Major cutbacks on HM use.
-All the little touches like a low life song instead of the annoying bleeps.
-A much better "evil team" than 3 and 4.
-Unlimited TM use.

The only bad thing with the single player is that the story has a few hiccups. I have also enjoyed the competitive vs in 5. Most people's complaint is weather. I don't play weather and don't really feel disadvantaged against those teams in general. I also don't use gen 5 mons on my teams and do fine. I feel like there are a ton of viable mons in OU. It seems pretty fun/solid to me. Keep in mind, I've been playing DW OU. I can't speak on wifi.

Gen 4 is... ehh. It's just kind of bland. I hate all of the new evolutions since they don't match the art style of preevolved forms from 2-3 gens prior. I give this game a ton of credit for the physical/special split though. That was a really good idea, easily the best part of gen 4 imo.

xFats

Smash Apprentice
Gen 4 UU rain when i had my Toxicroak.
when 5th gen dropped i just brought my UU rain team + kingdra up and demoshlied thanks to KILLER DRIZZLE WARRIOR

Sol9000

Smash Journeyman
Gen 5 is godlike you fool.:bee:

-Arguably the best OST (competing with G&S+remakes of course).
-Interesting and varied locations.
-Only seeing gen 5 mons for the main quest gives the game freshness and consistency.
-Unlimited TM use.
-Major cutbacks on HM use.
-All the little touches like a low life song instead of the annoying bleeps.
-A much better "evil team" than 3 and 4.
-Unlimited TM use.

The only bad thing with the single player is that the story has a few hiccups. I have also enjoyed the competitive vs in 5. Most people's complaint is weather. I don't play weather and don't really feel disadvantaged against those teams in general. I also don't use gen 5 mons on my teams and do fine. I feel like there are a ton of viable mons in OU. It seems pretty fun/solid to me. Keep in mind, I've been playing DW OU. I can't speak on wifi.

Gen 4 is... ehh. It's just kind of bland. I hate all of the new evolutions since they don't match the art style of preevolved forms from 2-3 gens prior. I give this game a ton of credit for the physical/special split though. That was a really good idea, easily the best part of gen 4 imo.
Yeah, I agree with this. Speak with the guy I replied to instead of me.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I would like 4th gen 10000000000000000000000x more if it weren't for that GODDAMNED ARCEUS
I hated Arceus ever since he became legal on PO servers in Gen IV. He didn't have any real counters back then but it was made easier by the fact that he could only have 100 EVs in each stat and everyone on PO at that time was a scrub. He was still really had to counter though and I had to make weird sets like Modest Scarf Dialga in order to even check him. Then Gen V came out and he could max out all his stats and he became even harder to deal with. Scarf Shadow Tag Chandelure counters it but that hasn't been released yet.

As a tip for anyone who wants to get into Ubers, start off with a team that has SD Arceus and Specs Kyogre in it and build the rest of your team from there. You'll become acquainted with playing the two most centralizing pokemon in the metagame.

Too bad Drizzle + Swift Swim is banned =p
Not in Gen IV or Ubers or Gen IV Ubers.

Everyone knows Quilfish is the best Swift Swimmer, anyway
This. Kingdra is overrated.

The real question though is who the best Chlorophyll pokemon is in Gen IV. The answer, if you don't know, is Jumpluff. Jumpluff is such a beast. He can be more annoying than Wobbuffet if you build the right team around him.

why can'yt we just play 4th gen and get along
Getting along? in the PokeCenter? Never.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a single Jumpluff in BW. For a little ****er that was usable in DPP Ubers, you'd think he'd get more attention. I guess Grass-types are more common in BW OU, but Grass-types generally aren't very threatening to sun teams.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I used to use Leafeon on my sun team and it always did really well. It's super bulky (252/252 def) and is really fast in the sun, even with no investment. Swords Dance, Leaf Blade, Wish, Baton Pass. It was a nice pivot in my team.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen a single Jumpluff in BW. For a little ****er that was usable in DPP Ubers, you'd think he'd get more attention. I guess Grass-types are more common in BW OU, but Grass-types generally aren't very threatening to sun teams.
Lots of things caused Jumpluff's fall from grace. The Encore nerf didn't help, but Prankster was what really hurt him. His big gimmick in Gen IV was being fast (faster than Deoxys-S in the sun) and having annoying moves. In Gen V we have pokemon with priority annoying moves, which is obviously superior. Jumpluff can't compete with Prankster pokemon in support, he doesn't have the stats or movepool to pull off an attacking role in RU, let alone Ubers, and his defense is a joke. I doubt we'll see Jumpluff come back unless people stop using Tornadus and Thundurus, and even then Whimsicott will still be better since it doesn't need sun support.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Thundurus is banned in standard Wifi OU.

Also, Victreebel is my favorite Chlorophyll user. It's got Weather Ball for Fire-type attacks (in the sun <3), 1-turn STAB Solarbeam, and Hidden Power Ice. And it's got Sleep Powder. Only thing more it might want is something like Earth Power or Surf to deal with Heatran. :p

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I've used Shuckle and Nidoqueen as leads in OU.

Not on the same team though.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Lead Wobbuffet is actually legit since every other lead in Gen 4 either used SR or a priority move. Gen IV seems like the last gen where having a good lead was important though because of the way Team Preview is now.

Man, it seems like every post I make about Gen IV ends up with me complaining about Gen V.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about Metagross. Such a great lead.

Top Bottom