• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about 3.5 Pit

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
lol i knew someone else in the world did besides me, i pretty much either z out of glide or dair!
Dair and nair seem to be the best options out of glide. Haven't been able to implement the z-attack into anything yet, but I'm working on it.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Dair and nair seem to be the best options out of glide. Haven't been able to implement the z-attack into anything yet, but I'm working on it.
ahh... dair defintely!!!, nairs works pretty good in the mid perecents when both you in your opponent are in the air. I would mostly use Z for recovering back to the stage.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
Idk if you were able to do this in 3.2 but rising down-air to up-air is super good. It leads into more up-airs and then to other conversions and it's super easy to hit if they're on a platform. Also, foward tilt seems better now since knockback was slightly reduced. It can set up for foward airs much easier now. Last thing, after you side-b onto the ledge, you cant side-b again unless you get on stage. For example, you're on the ledge and you side-b under the stage to get to the other ledge. For whatever reason your opponent is off stage so you edge guard him from the ledge by dropping and going for a back-air. From that point you cannot side-b again.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
I know my explanation was crap and my example was extremely situational but bear with me pls lol.

Last edited:

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
I know my explanation was crap and my example was extremely situational but bear with me pls lol.
Idk if you were able to do this in 3.2 but rising down-air to up-air is super good. It leads into more up-airs and then to other conversions and it's super easy to hit if they're on a platform. Also, foward tilt seems better now since knockback was slightly reduced. It can set up for foward airs much easier now. Last thing, after you side-b onto the ledge, you cant side-b again unless you get on stage. For example, you're on the ledge and you side-b under the stage to get to the other ledge. For whatever reason your opponent is off stage so you edge guard him from the ledge by dropping and going for a back-air. From that point you cannot side-b again.
ive never though about using dair to upair but it sounds like it would only work at certain perecents om mid weight characters.Also the forward does work nice but to bad its not a free kill into fair now xD

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah dair into uair is super good now. Also I loved utilt in 3.02 but it is hella better now and at high percent it can lead into up b.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
Found something kinda cool with the glide attack. It can lead into up-tilt and possibly up-smash at around 30% and it's almost guaranteed with medium weights. The thing is you have to glide downwards to the ground so you don't have the ending lag and the rest of the animation. I'm pretty sure you can grab out of it as well even at much higher percents.

Last edited:

Conti

Smash Ace
Pit got hurt pretty badly honestly :/ Between Smash4 and 3.5 coming out, i like cant do anything with him anymore :/
Hopefully 4.0 they realize they nerfed just a bit too much, Idc about Dthrow and the Recovery nerfs too much. Just why the **** did they destroy his Dtilt, it was his best option, now its like huge risk. I hope they fix that, and make Fair's frames inbetween 3.02s data and 3.5s, cuz i feel it was slowed down just a bit too much and is also high risk in neutral.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
Pit got hurt pretty badly honestly :/ Between Smash4 and 3.5 coming out, i like cant do anything with him anymore :/
Hopefully 4.0 they realize they nerfed just a bit too much, Idc about Dthrow and the Recovery nerfs too much. Just why the **** did they destroy his Dtilt, it was his best option, now its like huge risk. I hope they fix that, and make Fair's frames inbetween 3.02s data and 3.5s, cuz i feel it was slowed down just a bit too much and is also high risk in neutral.
That's assuming 4.0 will exist. Project M is dying down slowly, even got removed from Apex. But anyway, his combos are now a lot more on stage so you can't do anything Armada-like off stage.

Conti

Smash Ace
4.0 Can exist if we want it to exist. We need to beat the WiiU hype. Also there is leaks of 4.0 adding 4-5 new characters, so it's definitely going to happen. Pit is def mid-high now, i struggle with pit alot now.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
to honest d-tilt was the only move i was salty about, everything is okay now fair could be a bit better. D-tilt still works in the mid percentages pretty good though!

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
That's assuming 4.0 will exist. Project M is dying down slowly, even got removed from Apex. But anyway, his combos are now a lot more on stage so you can't do anything Armada-like off stage.
I've noticed you can't mutli-fair to death either because he fall to fast now, mutli bair somehow works though x)

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
I've noticed you can't mutli-fair to death either because he fall to fast now, mutli bair somehow works though x)
Multi bair? That's weird, I'll try it later. I have hit the fair combos pretty consistently against anything that isn't floaty. If you read my past comment, I think it was the first one I did on this thread, you need to hit the uppermost hitbox of the fair. It is of course DI dependant like all combos but you can convert into nair if the opponent gets too close or too low to connect the fair. I don't think the arrows work any more though, I'm pretty sure they reduced the knock back on that thing so the enemies don't pop up as high to follow up consistently (though I have got it twice in a row once).

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Multi bair? That's weird, I'll try it later. I have hit the fair combos pretty consistently against anything that isn't floaty. If you read my past comment, I think it was the first one I did on this thread, you need to hit the uppermost hitbox of the fair. It is of course DI dependant like all combos but you can convert into nair if the opponent gets too close or too low to connect the fair. I don't think the arrows work any more though, I'm pretty sure they reduced the knock back on that thing so the enemies don't pop up as high to follow up consistently (though I have got it twice in a row once).
that does sound pretty cool,ill try it out,i feel like i have done this before of stage. im not sure how that would work on the heavier characters on the stage since by the time you go for nair they'll probably already have hit the ground and be in sheild. Is this more for mid weights?

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Pit can still do a lot of the same things guys. I think you are just too used to how free it was back in 3.02. I get up b kills more from strings of uair in this version. It's actually extra easy because the weak hit of uair is super low on knock back. I still get fair kills by carrying ppl off the side. And I still use d tilt a good amount which also leads to up b kills...everything just isn't free. Everything in 3.02 was extra easy. And the more you learn pit in this version the more you will see that he is still able to do a lot of the same things.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Pit can still do a lot of the same things guys. I think you are just too used to how free it was back in 3.02. I get up b kills more from strings of uair in this version. It's actually extra easy because the weak hit of uair is super low on knock back. I still get fair kills by carrying ppl off the side. And I still use d tilt a good amount which also leads to up b kills...everything just isn't free. Everything in 3.02 was extra easy. And the more you learn pit in this version the more you will see that he is still able to do a lot of the same things.
agreed, I feel like you almost need to be better now, but now it requires you to use all your moves which i kinda like besides just spamming uair and upsmash.It took me about till early this month to fully grow into him.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
that does sound pretty cool,ill try it out,i feel like i have done this before of stage. im not sure how that would work on the heavier characters on the stage since by the time you go for nair they'll probably already have hit the ground and be in sheild. Is this more for mid weights?
I meant off stage but for on stage you'd be better off going for dair, regardless of weight.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
shffle dair seems to be where its at for me.
It's something you should practice. I use c-stick for my dairs and u airs so it's pretty easy for me. I also mid air jump or full hop with the control stick; it's just comfortable for me and it's pretty easy to land Ken combos (I play Marth too) with c-stick that way too.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
It's something you should practice. I use c-stick for my dairs and u airs so it's pretty easy for me. I also mid air jump or full hop with the control stick; it's just comfortable for me and it's pretty easy to land Ken combos (I play Marth too) with c-stick that way too.
ive always used C-stick for my aerial just so much easier, also i do the same for full hop it feels more sorted.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Pit's really fun. I think he's still a solid character, mid-tier.

I started messing around with him about a week ago, and from what I gather, he can literally still do all the combos he could do in 3.02, they just require much more skill and accuracy now. Fair is kinda weird, I agree, but Fair juggles into the blastzones can still be done. They just require knowledge each character's particular fall speeds and weights and what percentages the juggles work at now, instead of the Fair juggles being a more "works on everybody whenever" kind of thing in 3.02.

I think both the strength and the sweetspot of Up-B were a taaaaad bit too nerfed, but the Up-B combo finisher is definitely still there of course. I saw a lot of people in here say they're having trouble doing the Uairs into Up-B; you just gotta make sure you use Uair earlier now to hit them with the later/last hitboxes, but I'm sure most of you have figured that out by now. Raw sweetspot Uairs aren't gonna do it anymore, the timing is more strict, but it's still there.

His dtilt is horrendously slow now, yeah, so you have to combo into it now. Glide-Attack Nair -> Down Tilt is a thing, and is craaazy good when you push them to the ledge with Nair, then meteor them off-stage with Dtilt. I can pull it off kinda frequently. It's also very good for Nair -> Dtilt -> Jab reset on fast-fallers.

Arrows are.....ok. But I think they should be just ok? I dunno. I'm no Pit main so I don't necessarily know how important they are to Pit's neutral or gameplay as a whole, but eh. They serve as good pokes and can still take jumps of course so they have their uses. You just can't combo with them silly easily like you could before.

Overall, I do think he was nerfed a TAD bit too hard, but just a tad. Unlike other characters.....his identity is still there and his capabilities are still there. They're just harder to access/achieve.

SazoonTheBoon

Smash Apprentice

I started messing around with him about a week ago, and from what I gather, he can literally still do all the combos he could do in 3.02, they just require much more skill and accuracy now. Fair is kinda weird, I agree, but Fair juggles into the blastzones can still be done. They just require knowledge each character's particular fall speeds and weights and what percentages the juggles work at now, instead of the Fair juggles being a more "works on everybody whenever" kind of thing in 3.02.

I think both the strength and the sweetspot of Up-B were a taaaaad bit too nerfed, but the Up-B combo finisher is definitely still there of course. I saw a lot of people in here say they're having trouble doing the Uairs into Up-B; you just gotta make sure you use Uair earlier now to hit them with the later/last hitboxes, but I'm sure most of you have figured that out by now. Raw sweetspot Uairs aren't gonna do it anymore, the timing is more strict, but it's still there.

His dtilt is horrendously slow now, yeah, so you have to combo into it now. Glide-Attack Nair -> Down Tilt is a thing, and is craaazy good when you push them to the ledge with Nair, then meteor them off-stage with Dtilt. I can pull it off kinda frequently. It's also very good for Nair -> Dtilt -> Jab reset on fast-fallers.

Arrows are.....ok. But I think they should be just ok? I dunno. I'm no Pit main so I don't necessarily know how important they are to Pit's neutral or gameplay as a whole, but eh. They serve as good pokes and can still take jumps of course so they have their uses. You just can't combo with them silly easily like you could before.

Overall, I do think he was nerfed a TAD bit too hard, but just a tad. Unlike other characters.....his identity is still there and his capabilities are still there. They're just harder to access/achieve.
Of all the top tiers from last 3.02 pit got it the worse imo. It just doesn't feel like he can do much of anything anymore and over nerfed all of his good options. But almost every good thing about pit was nerfed in this update so I find it kinda silly. I don't think pit is viable anymore just because his punishes are so weak and his already poor neutral was made even worse.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet

Just commenting a bit on the arrows. The arrows are bad compared to 3.2 since there's more ending lag and less knock back. They're still really good obviously but just in comparison they're kind of a let down.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Just commenting a bit on the arrows. The arrows are bad compared to 3.2 since there's more ending lag and less knock back. They're still really good obviously but just in comparison they're kind of a let down.
They didn't want people spamming them to win the match.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Of all the top tiers from last 3.02 pit got it the worse imo. It just doesn't feel like he can do much of anything anymore and over nerfed all of his good options. But almost every good thing about pit was nerfed in this update so I find it kinda silly. I don't think pit is viable anymore just because his punishes are so weak and his already poor neutral was made even worse.
Yeah but i think they made them the way they are because sometimes you need to think about your opponent. Their seriously was nothing they could do in 3.2 as soon as they got hit, so in a way i like the new ones.

Peacanator

Smash Cadet
Yeah but i think they made them the way they are because sometimes you need to think about your opponent. Their seriously was nothing they could do in 3.2 as soon as they got hit, so in a way i like the new ones.
If you can't combo with them, I don't like them. That reminds me, I had this thought, sweet spot up-air to upwards arrow to up-b? Can anyone try that because I feel like it would work.

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
If you can't combo with them, I don't like them. That reminds me, I had this thought, sweet spot up-air to upwards arrow to up-b? Can anyone try that because I feel like it would work.
I combo with them quite well (esp. on the med weights) i might be able to show some of my vids. I tend to use them when i get them in air after a forward smash or tilt then i can combo to fair ,arrow to fair-arrow to fair ect or sometimes ill do arrow to bair or arrow to multi upair. Im going to try that combo because it might just work!

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Also sadly i cant get that combo to work, maybe im just doing it at the wrong weight and %

CBalls

Smash Rookie
NNID
DaftZeppelin
3DS FC
2552-2992-7603
Also I'm going to do a lot of traveling around this year just to different scenes. I would love to know where some of you guys are from so I can make these some stops on my list.
5-1, if you stop by the PNW, we'll be happy to have you! The Seattle PM scene has multiple events through the week! Our monthlies (First Saturday and 2nd Thursday of the month) always have sizable turnouts.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
So I still haven't figured this out: What are you supposed to do with Pit in the neutral game? Outside of glide Nairs/Dairs, which are easily telegraphed and countered, what else should you do?

Using arrows seems like an obvious choice, but I'm not gonna sit there and spam them.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I just use pit occasionally and have been tinkering a pit, what I have been using a lot is the first hit of fsmash. If it catches you in the air/you dont crouch cancel, it can lead to a regrab, even another first hit of fsmash or the second hit of smash. Plus, at low percents or little di I think, downthrow can lead to the first hit of smash too.I also like to use it in neutral for mind games since you recover from it fast. Again im not sure if this entirely legut, so correct me if im wrong.

Edit, it leads easily to an upsmash too, might test up b when i get the chance

Last edited:

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
So I still haven't figured this out: What are you supposed to do with Pit in the neutral game? Outside of glide Nairs/Dairs, which are easily telegraphed and countered, what else should you do?

Using arrows seems like an obvious choice, but I'm not gonna sit there and spam them.
hmmm.... i normally just tend to mix up the neutral game with a lot of dash dancing (alot!) and wave dashes, when the timing is right you can either dash-attack,dair,up-throw,down-tilt or forward-tilt. I definitely pick some of those over others but yeah xD. I will agree that his neutral isn't the best but you kinda just have to keep the opponent guessing xD because his punish game is legit. I also like what another person said about the options out of the first hit of forward smash because that tends to work nice as well :4pit:.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Ok, so I started playing pit a bit more and I have to ask... why is thi character considered bottom tier?

Lopopka

The Wizards Assistant
Ok, so I started playing pit a bit more and I have to ask... why is thi character considered bottom tier?
he is??? Im in belief he's middle-upper middle tier people might just think he's bottom due to his critical nerf xD

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I've never really used Skype, but I'll be messing with it tonight and see if I can get something going.

Top Bottom