• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's rate Smash 4's DLC

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What if Alph used the same Pikmin as Olimar, but their affects were more extreme?

For example, White Pikmin deal even more damage but deal even less knockback. Or purple (Could be rock instead) having ridiculous damage and knockback, but had almost no range?
Blues could have even stronger throws, but are useless outside of them?
And so on?

It's simply value changes, but it would force players to be more mindful about their Pikmin order, unlike Olimar where can choose not to mind this and do things.
That can easily be done with customizations though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That can easily be done with customizations though.
This is likely why it didn't happen in 4 as well. They have to make them feel different besides just the B moves. He needs a new Final Smash or some major stat differences somewhere, or even a new concept variation. Like how Lucina doesn't have the tipper. This forcefully changes how Lucina plays VS Marth. Dark Pit simply had a different Final Smash and varied B moves. Of course he could be more unique.

I wouldn't have minded Alph if all of his Pikmin had a set of unique properties, though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
This is likely why it didn't happen in 4 as well. They have to make them feel different besides just the B moves. He needs a new Final Smash or some major stat differences somewhere, or even a new concept variation. Like how Lucina doesn't have the tipper. This forcefully changes how Lucina plays VS Marth. Dark Pit simply had a different Final Smash and varied B moves. Of course he could be more unique.

I wouldn't have minded Alph if all of his Pikmin had a set of unique properties, though.
The funny thing is, Ness is able to use all of Lucas's special moves, and yet Lucas still managed to return as a DLC character.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The funny thing is, Ness is able to use all of Lucas's special moves, and yet Lucas still managed to return as a DLC character.
Doesn't that kind of hurt your point? :p

But yeah, that's how easy it was to remake Lucas. His A moves aren't severely different from Ness' animations, which is why part of why he came out so fast.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Doesn't that kind of hurt your point? :p

But yeah, that's how easy it was to remake Lucas. His A moves aren't severely different from Ness' animations, which is why part of why he came out so fast.
Yeah it's very ironic how Alph is just a palette swap, while Lucas is a separate character. But obviously, Lucas lacks the bat and yo-yo that Ness uses; he has to use a stick instead.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah it's very ironic how Alph is just a palette swap, while Lucas is a separate character. But obviously, Lucas lacks the bat and yo-yo that Ness uses; he has to use a stick instead.
Also, he was a semi-clone in Brawl. Alph was never in Smash before. Part of why Dr. Mario didn't stay a costume, due to Melee nostalgia.

Lucas did play differently at least. One thing to note is that for the most part, the Captains are the same in their games proper, while the Pikmin are different. This is why having alts works very well for Captain Olimar. This is similar reasoning for the Koopalings using the Koopa Clown Car.

D

Deleted member

*prepares flame shield*
:4mewtwo:-He's pretty fun, I wish he was heavier though (6.5/10)
:4lucas:-My main, I love Lucas to death (10/10)
:4feroy:-He's alot of fun, I'm a bit upset that he got in over Wolf though (9/10)
:4ryu:-He's probably my favorite of the 3rd party DLC characters, but his inputs are really hard to perform (7.5/10)
:4cloud:-I find his inclusion to be quite queationable, but he's pretty fun (7/10)
:4corrin:-...did we really need another FE character?Seriously, I like Fire Emblem but 6 is just too much (and before you say it, YES, I know that Pokemon also has 6 and Mario has 7, but they're arguably the most important Nintendo franchises). It now has more than Zelda (Nintendo's 3rd/2nd biggest franchise), and the same as DK, Metroid and Starfox COMBINED. I also dislike the reason they were put into the game... Promotion? Seriously? Sakurai directly SAID the next characters are going to be fanservice, and Bayonetta is pretty much the only character that fits that criteria. Also, there were SO many better options for promotion characters (Wolf to promote Star Fox Zero, Inkling, Elma from Xenoblade, etc). I'm not happy with that decision at all. I don't even care how unique they are. inb4 people calling me out for being salty: I don't care.
They'd get 2/10, but there are two things that boost the score... The first one is that they're actually really fun to play as, and the second is that I like the female version's design (okay that's kind of a silly reason I will admit) so my final score is 4 (4/10)
:4bayonetta:-She's broken and I just generally dislike her. I also question the legitimacy of her einning the ballot. (3/10)
Miiverse-ugh I hate seeing spoilers that I can't avoid (4/10)
Dreamland 64-It's nice I guess (7/10)
Suzaku Castle-Meh (4/10)
Too lazy to rate the rest.
0/10 to all
Why? Because they shouldn't cost money and more time could've gone to make content that people would actually enjoy.
Except for the Knuckles costume. That one gets 10/10.
Overall: 4/10
It was quite underwhelming IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
If I'm being completely honest then my least favorite of the dlc was Cloud.

I just don't like how he was handled. Everything just felt kind of half assed with him.

I mean seriously. Only two songs on midgar? They're are not even remixes. They didn't even include songs featured in Cloud's reveal.

The lack of an English VA also really annoyed me. Especially since cloud actually has one, but whatever. So much for breaking limits.

Plus the lack of overall FF representation kind of annoyed me. I was really expecting for midgar to have various pieces of music from FF's history. Battle on the Big Bridge, Kefka, etc... Plus no trophies outside of Cloud? Not even Sephiroth? Okay...

I'm also not big on Cloud's gameplay. Was kinda of hoping he'd have moves like meteor, thunder, fire, etc... I personally think all of those would been more interesting than what Cloud currently has. Especially if you take into account that Cloud's gimmick isn't really that unique.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
If I'm being completely honest then my least favorite of the dlc was Cloud.

I just don't like how he was handled. Everything just felt kind of half ***** with him.

I mean seriously. Only two songs on ******? They're are not even remixes. They didn't even include songs featured in Cloud's reveal.

The lack of an English VA also really annoyed me. Especially since cloud actually has one, but whatever. So much for breaking limits.

Plus the lack of overall FF representation kind of annoyed me. I was really expecting for midgar to have various pieces of music from FF's history. Battle on the Big Bridge, Kefka, etc... Plus no trophies outside of Cloud? Not even Sephiroth? Okay...

I'm also not big on Cloud's gameplay. Was kinda of hoping he'd have moves like meteor, thunder, fire, etc... I personally think all of those would been more interesting than what Cloud currently has. Especially if you take into account that Cloud's gimmick isn't really that unique.
Most of these can be summed up with two words:
Square Enix

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
For stages, I'm quite happy except for the fact that Melee didn't get some rep; I would have liked to see a couple of old favourites back. But overall, not bad at all.

I think the DLC characters were overall really, really good, and I wish there were more coming. The last two releases especially really showed Sakurai starting to think outside the box with Ryu, Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin, and I would have loved to see that trend continue. I am sad that Wolf didn't make a return, and I would have loved to see Metroid or Zelda get another rep, but overall it was a good mix of fan favourites and very well-designed newcomers. And it also wasn't put behind a paywall at launch; the team made a proper game and then kept going after it was finished. That's the way DLC should always be done, and while I think Nintendo has to update a lot of its policies (YouTube in particular), I have huge respect for the way they've handled extra content.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
:4mewtwo: Mewtwo was a character I enjoyed seeing return, yet overall, felt that he should have been there to begin with. 6.5/10

:4lucas:
I love Lucas as a character, and was hype at his return. Looking back however, she should've just been an alternate costume for Ness. 4/10

:4feroy:
At first, I wondered why they would bring him back since he was a clone, but they altered him enough so that he feels different from Marth. I welcome his semi-clone status and hope he gets altered even more. 8/10

:4ryu:
I will say this right now. I am not a fan of Street Fighter, but I always did love Ryu. His technical play style and move set is nothing short of iconic. I want to see Ryu in future Smash games. 9/10

:4cloud:
Hands-down my favorite character of the seven DLC. He is super fun to play as and just a cool character. Those who say he doesn't deserve to be on the roster fail to realize his connection Nintendo and what Cloud being in this game represents. What links him to Nintendo is the most unconventional one, but at the same time one of the most vital ones. Once you realize it, it's nothing short of pure genius. 10/10

:4corrin:
I main Corrin, and I will tell you right now, he is the one character that this game didn't need. Never before has a character been greeted by a resounding "what." HOWEVER, he is super fun to play as, yet I can see why some would consider him broken. Hopefully Patch 1.1.5 fixes him. The only thing causing me to give him a higher score than normal is due to the fact that time and effort was put into this character, and it shows. I probably would have welcomed Corrin more if Roy wasn't DLC already. 6/10

:4bayonetta:
To those who question Bayonetta's placing in the Smash Ballot: There's literally a butt load of countries with access to Smash and Nintendo titles. North America isn't the only one with Smash. To those who think she's broken: She's not, her frame data is absolutely terrible, and has very slow start-ups. She shines once you got the combos going. Git Gud scrub. 9/10

Top Bottom