• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's rate Smash 4's DLC

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
with the exception of Ryu the whole dlc characters are ****, cmon roy? really? another marth clone, then cloud wow..another sword user how original and now Corrin, wth man arent there enough sword users? almost the whole roster !!!they should rename this game Nintendo Calibur or Nintendo Edge
What a shame because this game was great when it was released

PS. Bayonetta too even though she isnt a sword user she simply doesnt fit in this game
OK, this "another sworduser" argument is ridiculously stupid and just simply needs to stop. Saying that there's too many swordfighters is like saying there's too many characters that use their bare hands and feet, or too many characters that have lasers weapons, ect. The too many Fire Emblem thing might be understandable, but too many swordfighters is just plain stupid and damn near moronic. A sword is a primary combat weapon for many characters. If you would take the Falchion away from Marth, Marth would cease to be Marth, or taking the Master Sword away from Link would make Link cease being Link.

This "another swordfighter" thing just needs to freaking stop. It's incredibly stupid and has no logic whatsover as an argument against a character inclusion.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
OK, this "another sworduser" argument is ridiculously stupid and just simply needs to stop. Saying that there's too many swordfighters is like saying there's too many characters that use their bare hands and feet, or too many characters that have lasers weapons, ect. The too many Fire Emblem thing might be understandable, but too many swordfighters is just plain stupid and damn near moronic. A sword is a primary combat weapon for many characters. If you would take the Falchion away from Marth, Marth would cease to be Marth, or taking the Master Sword away from Link would make Link cease being Link.

This "another swordfighter" thing just needs to freaking stop. It's incredibly stupid and has no logic whatsover as an argument against a character inclusion.
because there are a lot of characters they could add to the roster and not just swordsmen , i mean king k. rool. shantae, rayman, even Ray01 from custom robo or if they already brought Ryu why not Sagat or Chun li? not just another bunch of swordsmen. Marth and Link are ok they are original and both have their clones lucina and toon link besides i didnt say "make them fight without the swords" you dumb , they add roy? why? just because he`s a veteran? why not bring wolf back? Cloud, Corrin? whats next? zant? ghiraim? or more new FE characters? this is just plain stupid , bravo this game is now Smash Calibur or Smash Edge

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
because there are a lot of characters they could add to the roster and not just swordsmen , i mean king k. rool. shantae, rayman, even Ray01 from custom robo or if they already brought Ryu why not Sagat or Chun li? not just another bunch of swordsmen. Marth and Link are ok they are original and both have their clones lucina and toon link besides i didnt say "make them fight without the swords" you dumb , they add roy? why? just because he`s a veteran? why not bring wolf back? Cloud, Corrin? whats next? zant? ghiraim? or more new FE characters? this is just plain stupid , bravo this game is now Smash Calibur or Smash Edge
Because many of those are niche, require far more extra money(look at the lack of trophies alone for Street Fighter. Ryu and Ken. Guile's Theme isn't even in there). Shantae isn't even an iconic 3rd party. She's even more niche than most other Indies. The only one who really did much lately to get people's attention is Shovel Knight, and he's not exactly iconic so much as a major showing lately(akin to Inkling).

K. Rool already did get a costume, likewise, Dixie is not there either. Sakurai may just not find that DK needs more than the two key heroes. Or he didn't have any moveset ideas, like he clearly did for Corrin(who, like Robin, has a ton of non-sword moves. It's more comparable to Link, not Marth). Never mind that Roy was decloned. Custom Robo is hardly big right now at the moment. Rayman is very low on the totem scale, not as high as someone like Cloud(who was requested by a significant amount of people, and is the most iconic rpg 3rd party protagonist). Bayonetta, meanwhile, was pure ballot. While I do agree that having two FE characters as DLC was a little annoying, both are highly fun, and that's due to having a well-rounded and unique moveset.

Also, you do realize Soul Calibur has quite a few non-sword users too, right? In fact, its ratio is similar to Smash right now.

The other issue with your "too many swordsman" argument is that they don't play even remotely the same. Lucina and Marth are indeed similar(due to being clones), but you cannot play them all that similarly due to their power and range differences. Two non-sword users, Pit and Dark Pit, are played almost identically, instead. Roy was revamped a lot to change his playstyle significantly. Then there's Ike, who plays like no else. Robin barely is a sword user, being a major projectile user.

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Having a sword character just means they have a generally longer hitbox. Oh boy, big deal. And how can you even complain about "having too many sword characters" when the vast majority of fighters use hand-to-hand combat, anyways?

And those of you who complained about your K. Rool or Shantae not getting in . . . Do you have any idea how much of a landmark FF7 was for gaming? I'm pretty sure K. Rool is far less iconic---and far less important to gaming---than Cloud has been.

Last edited:

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Having a sword character just means they have a generally longer hitbox. Oh boy, big deal. And how can you even complain about "having too many sword characters" when the vast majority of fighters use hand-to-hand combat, anyways?

And those of you who complained about your K. Rool or Shantae not getting in . . . Do you have any idea how much of a landmark FF7 was for gaming? I'm pretty sure K. Rool is far less iconic---and far less important to gaming---than Cloud has been.
Actually having a sword means the character has disjointed hitboxes which is an slight advantage over melee characters or do you think the sword counts as a hurtbox?? but anyway i wasnt talking about that , i was talking about way too much sword users, too much wasted space in the roster with clones and such specially since a most sword users take their moveset from marth . cloud? hahaha of course you are a ff7 fanboy but you know what? the glory of FF7 is ancient history the hype just resurfaced after sony announced the FF7 remake on the ps4, before then nobody even cared about FF anymore, in any case i expected more diversity

all those stupid mii costumes could ve been great characters.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Pros:
  • Incredible 3rd Party list
  • Great Stages
  • Fan favorites return
  • 3DS gets extra content
  • Newer trophies
  • Mii Costumes
  • Rebalanced fighters
  • More competitive stages
Cons
  • Only One Nintendo newcomer
  • No Melee stages return
  • Overbundance of Mii Costumes
  • No new Alternate Costumes for fighters
  • No custom moves for DLC fighters
  • Not very cheap

Overall, the content is great but I feel like there should have been more to explore with.

8.5/10.

But it takes a 8.5/10 game into a 9.5/10 game

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
too much wasted space in the roster with clones
As a huge fan of clones, I must express my disagreement with what you said.
Also, there were only two clones in Smash 4's DLC roster, both of which playing very differently from the characters they are a clone of.
and such specially since a most sword users take their moveset from marth
Every Swordfighter that isn't Lucina (And maybe rude) would like a word with you.
all those stupid mii costumes could ve been great characters.
You're right.
mii-fighter-costume-_parkalala_3__large.jpg

Generic Hoodie guy would make for a great fighter.

Personally, the only thing I really disliked about the DLC was that it ended.

Last edited:

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Actually having a sword means the character has disjointed hitboxes which is an slight advantage over melee characters or do you think the sword counts as a hurtbox??
In general, sword users are more punishable with longer starting and ending lag on their moves, so it evens out.

As a huge fan of clones, I must express my disagreement with what you said.
Every Swordfighter that isn't Lucina (And maybe rude) would like a word with you.
Agreed. Yeah sure Lucina is basically Marth, but Shulk, Cloud, and Ike all vastly differ from the guy.

cloud? hahaha of course you are a ff7 fanboy but you know what? the glory of FF7 is ancient history the hype just resurfaced after sony announced the FF7 remake on the ps4, before then nobody even cared about FF anymore
> makes JRPGs popular in the West
> introduces huge, cinematic stories to gaming

gr8 b8 m8

Although I gotta agree that not many people care about the newer FF games (everything after 10 basically sucks for the most part lmao), but people still do love the older FF games a ton

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't see how they could've gone out with a bigger bang than bayonetta and cloud. Maybe by adding more characters along with them like K. Rool or Wolf?

Melansjf

Smash Rookie
Here we go...
Characters: 5.4/10
Mewtwo- 5/10 A character that sucks, but you still want him in the game? Like if samus didn't return.
Roy- 8/10 He's actually good. I like him. I don't understand how he's a clone since him and Marth showed up in the same game but whatever.
Lucas- 9/10 Not my favourite, but I know a lot of people wanted him badly, so I'm glad they got what they wanted.
Ryu- 3/10 No reason why he should be in this game.
Cloud- 9/10 He's honestly a better fit for smash than Ryu, Bayonetta and any of the FE characters besides maybe Marth.
Corrin- 4/10 No one wanted this to happen.
Bayonetta- 0/10 Didn't win the vote in numbers so they gave it to her by completely excluding any votes from North America. U.S. makes up more of the fanbase than any other country and for some reason consistently gets **** on by Sakurai. There's only one character that isn't Japanese and it's Diddy.

I only cared about characters, nothing else affected the game at all because the stages aren't legal. I would have like if the "omega" stages would have had platforms since Final Destination type stages are skewed towards projectile fighters.

And for anyone saying this isn't overpriced... They told us "No paid DLC"... So we have a right to be pissed.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I feel like there were a good number of missed opportunities with the DLC. Time constraints may explain why we only got 7 fighters and 5 stages, but having only 3 DLC veterans feels quite weird. I could care less for the Mii outfits and headgear, since I hardly use the Mii Fighters anyway.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
In general, sword users are more punishable with longer starting and ending lag on their moves, so it evens out.

Agreed. Yeah sure Lucina is basically Marth, but Shulk, Cloud, and Ike all vastly differ from the guy.

> makes JRPGs popular in the West
> introduces huge, cinematic stories to gaming

gr8 b8 m8

Although I gotta agree that not many people care about the newer FF games (everything after 10 basically sucks for the most part lmao), but people still do love the older FF games a ton
thats what you think as a sword user player but the reality is different
Ike is just a heavy version clone of marth and as i said before? Roy? he`s still a clone for god sake they only make his moves look slighlty different just like ganondorf is still a clone of Captain falcon
you are living in the past, the hype of FF7 was during the 32 bit era and when SE made the FF7 compilation (2006-2008)after that FF7 returned to being forgotten except by the remaining fanbase
introduces huge cinematics stories to gaming?? no, many other games from the saturn did that before FF7 but FF7 along with th psx was way more known by the media
yeah...FF Xlll and Xlll-2 sucked hard...SE redeemed themselves somewhat with Lighting Returns but the damaged was already done

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
Well, yeah what I meant is that it made having a massive game popular. I get overly anxious about being redundant in my posts ;_;

And oh god the compilation don't even get me started on that. It was a bunch of "let's appeal to the newer kids by making cloud emo!1!1! and let's give him an unrealistically tragic past too!!!" Tbh it did make the fanbase dwindle (but I would't really say forgotten) no doubt because they were ****** off at SE.

I can also agree that XIII and XIII-2 were sucked haha. Hope they learned their lesson with that.

Melansjf

Smash Rookie
I honestly remember thinking up until maybe two years ago that cloud was the main character in the entire FF series. He's the most recognized character and if anyone deserved it, it would be him. I've never play FF and I admit that I probably should have. But I was excited when he was announced. I honestly thought he was the ballot winner, I would believe that result too (Bayonetta... Awful).

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Meh. Wasn't really impressed. I personally felt like the DLC was over priced. Especially considering what we got. To get all the mii costumes alone cost 20 plus dollars. Not only that, but the characters were somewhat underwhelming (IMO). Lucas, Roy, and Mewtwo really shouldn't have cost money. They don't bring much new to the game, but cost the same amount as completely new characters. Um.... No.... I also thought a lot of the stages were underwhelming. The N64 stages really aren't worth the cash. It probably 0 effort on the devs part. Especially considering fan mods have done the same and for FREE. The lack of new modes was also pretty "meh". Also not a fan that we got another FE character. Corrin is a cool character, but I would've rather seen a new franchise like Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Such hostility with some of these posts in here. Sometimes, I don't understand humanity and the World Wide Web these days.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Such hostility with some of these posts in here. Sometimes, I don't understand humanity and the World Wide Web these days.
I guess that's life.
The problem with threads that involve opinion is that some people can't be civil with other people's opinions, while others can't be civil when their opinions are contested.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I guess that's life.
The problem with threads that involve opinion is that some people can't be civil with other people's opinions, while others can't be civil when their opinions are contested.
And the sad reality is that there is absolutely no end to it.

Captain Farukon

Smash Journeyman
Well, yeah what I meant is that it made having a massive game popular. I get overly anxious about being redundant in my posts ;_;

And oh god the compilation don't even get me started on that. It was a bunch of "let's appeal to the newer kids by making cloud emo!1!1! and let's give him an unrealistically tragic past too!!!" Tbh it did make the fanbase dwindle (but I would't really say forgotten) no doubt because they were ****** off at SE.

I can also agree that XIII and XIII-2 were sucked haha. Hope they learned their lesson with that.
its ok dude at least you dont throw insults like many kids around this forum
i wondered what happened in the movie advent children because Cloud was acting so emo and weak but at the end of the game he was so determined and managed to get on with his past and his memories its like what happened in his mind at the end of FF7 never existed, they ruined that
To be honest the only game i was looking forward is the new Dissidia for the ps4 but there are no words of it so i suppose its not going to happen

Last edited:

Zenithia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6013-0446-3047
its ok dude at least you dont throw insults like many kids around this forum
i wondered what happened in the movie advent children because Cloud was acting so emo and weak but at the end of the game he was so determined and managed to get on with his past and his memories its like what happened in his mind at the end of FF7 never existed, they ruined that
To be honest the only game i was looking forward is the new Dissidia for the ps4 but there are no words of it so i suppose its not going to happen
All of this is so true tbh. I occasionally see people trying to back it up with "Well he could just be upset after thinking about everything that happened in FF7." Why would he be emo after the fact? He already saved the world and recovered from all this stuff lol it makes no sense at all

But anyways I think one thing most people can agree on is that Mewtwo was a nice veteran to have again, even if he should be buffed in a lot of areas.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Pros
- More third party characters
- And just more characters
- Changed smash speculation forever
- Some content was FREE
- Old and especially the New stages were cool
- Duck hunt stage for 3ds
- DLC is cheaper than standard fighting games

Cons
- But still expensive
- Only one Nintendo newcomer
- Created lots of salt
- Not much new modes

Other
-No Wolf, Snake
No Goku........

Ignore the goku part... imma edit that out

Overall grade: B+

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
:4mewtwo:: 10/10 - Hands down my favorite of the DLC characters. Smash 4 is actually my first Smash game (Unless you count the 3 seconds of Brawl before it froze) and I loved Mewtwo's sudden announcement. I remember every day being more grueling than the last having to wait on him. I loved him when he came out, and I still love him now. The character that I have the most fun with too.

:4lucas:: 8/10 - I had mained him alongside Mewtwo for a while before ultimately dropping him. He just got old I guess. Still, I loved the time I had with him and Mother 3 was a great game as well.

:4feroy:: 9/10 - I loved how much they switched him up from his Melee counterpart, and he's pretty fun to play as too. I love his design, his moveset, a long of things. His hair looks so... luscious... too... ahem.

:4ryu:: 8/10 - Surprise, surprise. Who woulda thunkit? Ryu in Smash... almost seems like a dream. Honestly, I've never played a Street Fighter game and I've never cared for the series much either. I can't play Ryu very well, but I won't let that hamper my decision; he's a great fighter nonetheless and I give my respect to anyone who can play this guy properly.

:4cloud:: 7.5/10 - Cloud is rad, but I can't get into him. I like his deal and all, and Limit is cool too, but I always opt for someone else. Congrats to any Final Fantasy fans who achieved their dream, though!

:4corrin:: 9/10 - I had a common reaction to his reveal: "Another Fire Emblem character?" In the end, I honestly didn't care, because he looked like a fun character to play as. And he is! Those amazing tracks of Lost in Thoughts All Alone are marvelous and I love singing a long to the original one whenever it plays despite me having a terrible singing voice... don't worry I don't sing around other people so their ears don't bleed

:4bayonetta:
: 9/10 - I never thought it would happen. I was one of those who said "Nah, too revealing for Smash". Boy, I sure am glad I was proved wrong. :p
She's such a cool character, even if I can't play her correctly. Her stage, while difficult to look at for long periods of time, as a great selection of music that I can't help but hum along to. No Fly Me to the Moon unfortunately
Miiverse: 6/10 - A silly stage. It music selection is unfortunately forgettable and it sucks that you can only play it on Single Player, but the hilarious/ridiculous pictures people make save it just a bit.

Dream Land 64: 9/10 - I love the music there, as Kirby music has yet to disappoint me. Is such a cute, vibrant stage that I like playing on. The only reason it doesn't get a 10/10 is because I always seem to get Pineappled. YES MY SALT LOWERS THE RATINGnotreallytho10/10stagereallyneat

Suzaku Castle: 8/10 - The music is pretty great, although not memorable, still gets me to tap my toes with it. It looks nice and definitely lives up to the character it came with.

Peach's Castle: 8/10 - A great stage to play on when you want to have fun, with nice nostalgic music to go with it.

Hyrule Castle: Same as Peaches Castle

Super Mario Maker: 10/10 - My favorite DLC stage. It so nice to look at and the SMM Title Theme remix is the only song you need to listen to. It's so good and I love and aaaaaaaah

Midgar: 4/10 - My least favorite stage. Unfortunately, the fact that it only has 2 songs hurts it a lot, and they get repetitive after a while. If it didn't have the gimmick it does have with the orbs and the Summons, it'd be an easy 0.

Umbra Clock Tower: 9.3/10 - It would be my favorite stage if it has Fly Me to the Moon and if it didn't hurt to look at for extended periods. Nonetheless, it's a great stage with great music.

I don't really care for the Mii Costumes seeing as I only bought, like, the wave 2 bundle because I had the money left over and that's about it. I'll say it is a nice consolation for some characters not getting in or just simply giving them a nod to.

OVERALL: 10/10
Why? Because it didn't have to happen. Sakurai could've left us with the game that we bought, but he didn't. He went the extra mile to create more stages and characters despite his condition, and for that I am truly grateful. It's truly been a wild ride since 2014.

Here's to Smash 4!

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
ITT: "I think the DLC was great, absolutely zero complaints" *Fire Emblem avatar* *Fire Emblem signature* *mains Fire Emblem characters*

Anyway:

• :4mewtwo: 10/10 Jesus Christ I was so ****ing happy. Mewtwo was my favorite when I was a kid, I loved him so much in the movie and I was so upset when they cut him in Brawl. When I found out he was in Melee I went absolutely hysterical, I couldn't believe it. I still don't understand why he was cut, he was easily in the top three Pokemon in terms of popularity. Him, Little Mac and Eggman were the only ones I was seriously wanting, and I was so happy when he finally struck back.
  • :4lucas: 8/10 I was happy to see him again. I always liked the Mother kids, so I liked him. Too bad his grab sucks, otherwise I'd like him more than Ness, but he's still in my top 5.
  • :4feroy: 10/10 I know I'm a dirty hypocrite but I was so damn happy to see him again. I know he was only in one game and he's basically Shinji but I love him he's my boy he has t3h ph1r3 and I LOVE what they did with him. Easily my 3rd favorite character.
  • :4ryu: 4/10 I actually wanted him (and Akuma), but I absolutely hated his implementation. I hate how he can cancel out of his attacks into other attacks (the fact that Smash is so straight-up about its time frames is one of my favorite things about it), I hate that he has two tilt attacks and you have to be super careful not to accidentally do the wrong one, and I hate that you need to do the stupid Street Fighter inputs for your specials to actually matter (again, one of my favorite things about Smash is the simplicity of the controls). I hate playing as him and I hate playing against him.
  • :4cloud: ?/10 I can't really say. I hate that he got in over Sora, and I was extremely mad about how a character who's Sony exclusive is in a celebration of Nintendo, but...damn it, he's so much fun. I love his projectile, I love his aerials, I love his combos and his KO moves and all that crap. I'd give him a 1 on principle, but just out of pure enjoyment it's a solid 10.
  • :4corrin: 1/10 **** the Fire Emblem Defense Force, I hate that he was put in the game.
  • :4bayonetta: 2/10 I really hated this. Her relation to Nintendo is almost non-existent and she didn't actually win the ballot. She only "won" because Sakurai falsely told people to vote for literally anyone and that he'll do whatever the fans want, even though there were characters he knew he couldn't implement (Ridley) and characters he knew he couldn't get the rights to (Goku [I'd bet my right hand that he was the real winner]). I was also pissed in general about there only being one Ballot winner, since he was very unclear about how many characters would get in.

• Miiverse: 10/10 this was a huge mistake and I love it
  • Dream Land 64: 5/10 Wait, why are the blast lines smaller than Battlefield now? Eh whatever, still basically just Battlefield with different blast lines.
  • Suzaku Castle: 3/10 what's even the point? Only two songs, and how did they get such an asymmetrical stupid design from what's supposed to be a flat rooftop?
  • Peach's Castle: 8/10 Fun and nostalgic
  • Hyrule Castle: 7/10 still fun, but the stage really does not work with the modern mechanics.
  • Super Mario Maker: ?/10 didn't buy it.
  • Midgar: 2/10 stop with the unplayable gimmick stages
  • Umbra Clock Tower: 8/10 it's playable

Last edited:

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
ITT: "I think the DLC was great, absolutely zero complaints" *Fire Emblem avatar* *Fire Emblem signature* *mains Fire Emblem characters*
>"absolutely zero complaints"
>This thread

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
The DLC stages are good, but I really wanted Poke Floats. *squee*

As for characters, the DLC were fine. I'm personally more frustrated with Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit taking up space where a plethora of new and interesting characters could have been. More differentiation would have been nicer, but I'll have to settle for those three.

I'm biased towards Krystal, Wolf, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, and Paper Mario. But, I certainly wouldn't complain about characters like Shantae, Wonder Red, and Shovel Knight. Any of these characters would have been such cool newcomers to the series. (Except Wolf ofc, he's a vet)

I rate the DLC 8.5/10 in general. Great but a little bit of missed potential imo.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960

I partially agree in the sense that no matter what for this roster for any future Smash Bros game, there's going to be a couple of sword users being added (even for the ones that don't use it for most of their moves). However, coming from a game series that has various sources of weaponry (axes, lances, bows, knives, etc.), they all use swords. Yes, Robin and Corrin don't always use Levin Sword and Yato respectively. But when you have two characters like that doing more than sword strikes like Link, one would think they would expand on that or make them not use swords at all. Alas, Sakurai thought the easy way out and people like Captain Farukon Captain Farukon will keep that stigma going, whenever its exaggerated or not.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
As for characters, the DLC were fine. I'm personally more frustrated with Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit taking up space where a plethora of new and interesting characters could have been. More differentiation would have been nicer, but I'll have to settle for those three.
I thought the devs confirmed centuries ago those 3 barely took any time to develop and they aren't replacing anybody. If there's an alternate universe where those 3 weren't included, then nobody would be in their place.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I thought the devs confirmed centuries ago those 3 barely took any time to develop and they aren't replacing anybody. If there's an alternate universe where those 3 weren't included, then nobody would be in their place.
I suppose I'm ignorant about their development then; I didn't know. I'm ok with how things stand in terms of the character roster, but I see missed potential. Different characters may not have been practical, but more moveset differentiation from their originals seems more palatable to me. Oh well.

Regardless, you cannot prove that no one would be in their place. Ease of development lends credit to your opinion though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Actually, there is no one that could take their place but a super easy to make clone at best. Alph doesn't fit this as the Pikmin are the main actual parts of the moveset. That means they'd have to change them up. Rock Pikmin sound cool, but how would you make them unique from Purple Pikmin, and how can you do all those new models and animations really fast? There's too many Koopalings to make clones out of, and choosing one over the other 6 would only annoying their fanbase.

Now, some may think Dixie Kong from Diddy. First, they're not actually that similar(she has no tail, different weapons, can fly using her hair... so not that many similarities, even A-move wise). Second, he may have dropped the idea of Dixie when she didn't work out being in Brawl as a team with Diddy.So...

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
Alph doesn't fit this as the Pikmin are the main actual parts of the moveset. That means they'd have to change them up. Rock Pikmin sound cool, but how would you make them unique from Purple Pikmin, and how can you do all those new models and animations really fast?
Say, wasn't Alph going to be one of those model-swap-getting-a-roster-slot clones similar to Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Say, wasn't Alph going to be one of those model-swap-getting-a-roster-slot clones similar to Doc, Lucina, and Dark Pit?
They weren't able to confirm that via the current translations to my knowledge. Just that Rock Pikmin were ideal ideas, but as noted, it'd take a lot of time to perfect.

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
Characters:
:4mewtwo:: Not bad for their first DLC character. Would have preferred to see representation from other gens, but I enjoy playing as him a lot. Only complaint is his weight. 8/10.

:4lucas:: Loved him in Brawl and PM. Was really excited to see him return. Unfortunately they made him suck. 7/10.

:4feroy:: Used him a lot in Melee before realizing he sucked. Glad they made him somewhat usable in this game. 8/10.

:4ryu:: By far my favorite DLC character. He fits so well in the game. Would main him if I wasn't awful at him. 10/10.

:4cloud:: Found his addition a bit strange at first, but I grew to like him after playing him for a while. Really enjoying him and am considering picking him up as a main. 9/10.

:4bayonetta:: Haven't bought her yet, but she looks really cool. I'll probably buy her once I get some money. No rating yet.

:4corrin:: Another Fire Emblem character. Nobody wanted this. He's literally only in the game to advertise Fates. And to top it off, he's ABSOLUTELY BROKEN. One time I died to his counter at 70% from my JAB. And his voice is worse than Fox's. "I win"? "Good"? What were they thinking? The only DLC fighter I wouldn't even buy at gunpoint. 0/10.

Stages:
No Pokéfloats 0/10 :troll:
I like all of the stages (except Umbra Clock Tower because I don't have it yet, although it looks awesome), but my favorite is definitely Midgar. The summons are a lot of fun to play around with in casual play, and the stage itself is cool to look at. Midgar: 10/10. Others: 9/10.

Last edited:

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
They weren't able to confirm that via the current translations to my knowledge. Just that Rock Pikmin were ideal ideas, but as noted, it'd take a lot of time to perfect.
I remember reading something about it, but I'm not sure where.

I hope he's separate from Olimar next game.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember reading something about it, but I'm not sure where.

I hope he's separate from Olimar next game.
It depends if we get enough new Pikmin to justify a second moveset. There wasn't enough time this time around, but there could be next time.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
It depends if we get enough new Pikmin to justify a second moveset. There wasn't enough time this time around, but there could be next time.
What if Alph used the same Pikmin as Olimar, but their affects were more extreme?

For example, White Pikmin deal even more damage but deal even less knockback. Or purple (Could be rock instead) having ridiculous damage and knockback, but had almost no range?
Blues could have even stronger throws, but are useless outside of them?
And so on?

It's simply value changes, but it would force players to be more mindful about their Pikmin order, unlike Olimar where can choose not to mind this and do things.

Top Bottom