• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's face it, Brawl = Next Mario Party, huge dissapointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
C'mon guys...

Are you all really that easily trolled? Is it like some sort of unstoppable impulse for you, some sort of built-in trigger that makes it far too difficult for your brains to resist? Jesus Christ, it's like watching British Parliament.

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
making stupid ****ing posts about how Street Fighter isn't competitive...
I must have missed that. Did someone actually say SF is NOT competitive?
I read some that said SF3 INITIALLY SEEMED not competitive, but I don't recall anyone saying SF, AS IT IS TODAY, is not competitive.
Can you point out these posts so that I can LMFAO?

Dead Kev

Smash Rookie
noobs rejoice! the game play is slow as hell, every one floats around like a jacka$$ the moves dont seem to have any gravity, capt falcon sucks WTF, terrible step down from melee. im not asking for a wave dash i just want to be able to plain dash. i expected it to be nub oriented i guess it was a worthy tradeoff for all og the cutscenes and finisher attacks lol. whatever im not going to waste any more time on a community that doesnt want a competitive game anywayz. time to start playing a street fighter game or better yet halo lol
have fun button mashing with metaknight/pit

lain

Smash Master
notice i say competitive GOOD player.

THOSE are reasons that don't condemn me.

tripping is stupid. period.

if you can't combo, then what is this? not a fighting game anymore.

edgegaurding was something that is unneeded? this game right now is merely run around, try and hit someone, and hope it was hard enough for them to die. because if they don't, they almost ALWAYS will come back.

i wasn't knocking it before trying it. i merely said it looks bad now. because it does. but i also said we'll have to WAIT AND SEE.

calm the **** down. this my friend, is why you are a brawl tard.

gg.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I must have missed that. Did someone actually say SF is NOT competitive?
I read some that said SF3 INITIALLY SEEMED not competitive, but I don't recall anyone saying SF, AS IT IS TODAY, is not competitive.
Can you point out these posts so that I can LMFAO?
Just search my posts for one with a bunch of youtube links and a rant from me getting pissed.

It was in some topic a guy posted about the game not being competitive, and at that point I'd given up, and most competitive people had(Which makes it obvious idiots like the people I quoted are either out of the loop or niche elitists who give the community a bad image)-- but I read it because the guy seemed to be pouring his ideas out. I listen to both sides of a story, not just one-- so I was going through his arguments, and he pretty much said that STREET FIGHTER doesn't belong in the competitive scene-- neither does Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Virtua Fighter.

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
Man, I love the whole 'Brawl isn't competitive thing.'

Seriously, as if anyone wants to hear your opinion in the first place, let alone if your opinion is that that game isn't competitive, when posting on that particular games' forum.

Seriously.
If you like Melee better, go play Melee. Nothing's stopping you.

Zian

Smash Cadet
If it's a fun game, where's the problem? If you expected it to be the best game ever, then you'll always be disappointed because there is no perfect game. Period.

And another complainer about wavedashing being gone. Seriously, if you opened up more for new things to come, because that's what Nintendo is about the most, new things, you wouldn't be as disappointed right now. And all players have been downgraded to match evenly? It's called balance, and sorry to say, pal, but that was something the fans desired the most because frankly, some characters in Melee WERE owerpowered.

So either you suck it up or don't come to these boards again. Sell your copy, so that someone who didn't get it yet and REALLY wants it gets to have fun.

EDIT: And I can guarantee you that I'm MUCH more of a Nintendo fangirl than you are a Nintendo fanboy.
Halo has had 2 perfect sequels. Its also in its third installment.

Spellman

Smash Ace
If the game is no longer fun or of service to you, then don't know why there would be people here still going on about it. Simply writing a review on GameFAQ's is all well and good.

Furthermore, Melee forums are still present, so if you're still interested in Melee, that's where to go, but this is Brawl domain now for those who truly enjoy the game. Even if you have some minor problems with it, it's O.K. to be here, but to hate the game and be here is counter productive and a waste of your life unless you are a troll, in which case that was your intent, and are laughing right now, at my subsequent running sentences, and lack of sentence structure, if you find english jokes funny, which you probably don't, in which case you are laughing at the ballin'.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
notice i say competitive GOOD player.

THOSE are reasons that don't condemn me.

tripping is stupid. period.

if you can't combo, then what is this? not a fighting game anymore.

edgegaurding was something that is unneeded? this game right now is merely run around, try and hit someone, and hope it was hard enough for them to die. because if they don't, they almost ALWAYS will come back.

i wasn't knocking it before trying it. i merely said it looks bad now. because it does. but i also said we'll have to WAIT AND SEE.

calm the **** down. this my friend, is why you are a brawl tard.

gg.

"HAY GUYS! I POST GG! THAT MEANS I WIN THE ARGUMENT! RIGHT??! NO SERIOUSLY! IT MAKES ME COOL, RIGHT?!"

This my friend, is why you are a Re Tard. Because you're dumb.

gg. Lol, am I cool now?

Grow up.

Besides tripping, none of your arguments make any sense to me. A combo is a consecutive series of hits. It's there. I don't understand how you can't see it, when me and my friends caught it within the first five minutes of playing.

And what idiots classify themselves as competitive "GOOD" players. What's the "good" there for-- to make yourself feel better? You have to put the word "Good" in there to show everybody "hey I don't suck" instead of proving it by talking intelligently without an elitist vibe to you? And how do we know you're good? Maybe we think you suck.

I have an idea, and this is just going out on a limb-- don't speak for the entire competitive community, when key members of it disagree with you. Key competitive "Good" players if you like.

g- ****ing- g. Lol, am I cool now?

bugmenot

Smash Cadet
I can't wait for technology to reach the point where I can deliver Falcon Punches over internet connections.
Not in-game, as with Brawl, but I mean, actual light-my-glove-on-fire punches.
This troll thread is made of FAIL and LULZ, which is a corruption of LOL.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
I can't wait for technology to reach the point where I can deliver Falcon Punches over internet connections.
Not in-game, as with Brawl, but I mean, actual light-my-glove-on-fire punches.
This troll thread is made of FAIL and LULZ, which is a corruption of LOL.
I really don't know why I keep on posting in Brawl General. Shoryuken, Neogaf, and even some people at Brawl Central hate this forum. People on GameFAQS complain about us. It's pathetic really.

lain

Smash Master
i see your caps lock was stuck there for a minute. oh wait, jk. you were posting in caps to make yourself seem witty.

i honestly could care less what people think about my skill.

also, to get out of "combos" in brawl, you press the jump button.

gg. :laugh:

spindash

Smash Ace
... Did you just make an account to emphasize on what you believed to be a failure in the Smash Bros. series?

NintendoFailedwithBrawl. By god. You KNOW that you'd incite nothing but a lot of flames from this, but really. You did it anyway because you knew that this would be the kind of reaction you'd get. :\

Keep your shallow-minded opinions to yourself. And make a username based on something you like and/or associate yourself with and/or whatever. Not some bull just to get people on your bad side. Trolling at it's finest if I say so myself.

And this is why I'm officially flipping the General Brawl Discussion section the bird. Tournament section for me. **** the rest of the board if I'm going to have to read through ridiculous crap like this. -_-;

Meh. Brawl's fun. I could give two sh*ts if you don't like it.

I've heard, however, if you play Special with high gravity, it's loads like Melee. I'll have to try this out, but still.

lain

Smash Master
brawl's fun. don't get me wrong. it's actually one of the funnest games i've ever played. i love it.

:)

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Brawl isn't even that much fun. It's boring and sedate where Melee is exhilarating. I helped sponsor a Brawl tourney and participated in it, and I think I vaguely enjoyed myself. We had one Melee TV going out of eight total setups and I enjoyed myself way more playing Melee. I'm still going to play Brawl a bit just in case it turns out to be worth something in like four years or so. However, my bets are that Brawl will never be as good as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjovwgLSmZ4

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
To the OP: You admitted that the game is fun; that's all that a game has to be. If you're upset with high-level competitive Brawl, which you haven't experienced yet, then just move onto another game.

lain

Smash Master
melee is still fun as **** too though. :laugh:

but brawl with smash balls at pound3 (courtesy of papa dave of course!) was too good.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that most of you who are complaining never played Smash64, because it's pretty much the same as that, if not a tad bit faster.

What's with all the butthurt? If you don't like it, don't play it. Obviously if you don't like something, you shouldn't talk about it. Why surround yourself with stuff you dislike? Just go away, play Melee, I don't care. Stop whining about it.

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
You call yourself a Nintendo fanboy? You can't even SPELL Nintendo right! I think... that I better stop right here before I'm considered a flamer.

Darqion

Smash Cadet
Ye know.. chess is a pretty hard game to master and still its perhaps the slowest of games ive ever seen.

Melee was fun, sure, but in all that mess of speedy movement one thing (atleast) was lost. Foresight. You didnt have time to think a few seconds ahead, because time thinking would be punished by a smash to the face (Feel free to pretend you would have your master gameplan all set out, or how you think ahead 1 minute+)

Competetive gaming is more then speed. Knowing your character, your oponents, the stage, each move with all its inner workings. Brawl being slower makes for a game where its easier on the eyes for a casual gamer, but like alot of other games this only makes it easyer/fun to pick up but by NO means easy to master.

Brawl wasnt made to overshadow melee, it was made to reflect The NEW views of the developers (including the deletion of unintended "tricks")

I never really got how people feel the need to tell others how a game sucks. IF! but only if he would want to discuss! anything, it would have been a far nicer experience... But the OP closed his mind.
When you are not open to change, posting this here can do NOTHING for you. Leaving only some weird personal desire to let others know how you dislike something.. wow, very interesting, but truth be told, nobody really cares.

Why do people flame back if they dont care ? because the free expression of opinion gets countered with that of other peoples. and when the opinion of the OP is underdeveloped, concidering the game is still WAY! to young, its not weird people get upset with it.

In the end, games are about fun. ALL OF THEM. The difference lies within the way this fun comes to pass. Some games are just fun to play, pure n simple. some games are fun in the struggle to be #1, testing yourself and your abilitys. EVERY game where you can have a clear winner is in essence competetive, leaving only the level of skill needed to BE competetive to be determined by the games mechanics (still leaving plenty of room for even the decent player, and the top dogs.)

By now my english probebly scared everybody off :p So all i have left to say is.. try to have fun, IN YOUR WAY. and that fun doesnt reside in Brawl, leave it be or let it age like a good cheese or wine. But keep that wine in the basement and done bring it to the forums. thank you

Ps. Feel free to disagree, as long as you are mature enough to be able to agree to disagree

TimelessWind88

Smash Rookie
Yes, I know I'm new but I've been reading several pages of this thread, and here's my own opinion about the series:

Brawl needed to be different from Melee, so much that there's no good way to compare the two games even though the same basic concepts exist in both. Would the game really be just as fun if the physics, techniques, and strategies carried over exactly from Melee? Sure, Sakurai added to the game at every imaginable level, but the only way to be "good" at Brawl would be to use the same three to five speediest characters on the same few "acceptable" stages with quick techniques. Essentially none of the new additions would have mattered at all because everyone is still playing the exact same way from Melee. You are paying $50 more for something you already have.

Do you really think the game would have continued to keep a strong following for the next 5-7 years had it been Melee 2.0? I certainly would not keep playing it for long, and I imagine many others would quickly grow bored of the franchise too because Nintendo would be feeding us the exact same old thing.

A good franchise needs to be able to grow, change, and test new waters. I believe with Brawl Nintendo is allowing the players to experiment with different characters, especially heavier characters, by taking some of the emphasis off speed. If you don't enjoy Brawl as much as you did Melee, well I'm sorry that the SSB franchise moved in a direction not of your liking. But a true competitive player should also be able to grow and adapt to change and still learn the game to come out on top.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
******** Topic....You do know that it about a year of THOUSANDS of hardcore smashers playing Melee to discover the technique wavedashing....and it took a very long time after it was discovered before it became neccessary to use it to compete at the top level.

How long has Brawl been out for? Oh, about 1 month and only in one country? Sorry I didnt know that...

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
First of all, I am a huge Nintendo fanboy. I am older than many of you and have owned almost every Nintendo console: SNES, N64, GC, Wii, even 2 gamesboys, and I've played almost every franchise game Nintendo has ever made. I also have an Xbox360 for online sports games/COD4.

Lets face is, Nintendo makes the BEST games. Period. With Nintendo you get a very high quality product. I trusted in Nintendo all these years, and they NEVER disappointed.

Me and my 6 roommates play Melee like a sport. We even have our own weekly power-rankings.
I had briefly played the Japanese version of the game before, but tonight confirmed what I already knew.

Brawl is a failure in my eyes. Its a good game, in fact it's very fun, and it will garner great rankings from nearly every site. This isn't meant to be a troll/bait thread, I truly feel this way, and I'm sure that anyone that loves Melee will feel the same way. This game just makes me sad. I don't think I will play it anymore personally. Sure it has slightly better graphics, but its the gameplay that suffers.

Brawl is just another Mario Party. Its a fun multi-player game, nothing more, nothing less.

-The game is so slow now that its almost a joke
-Skill components have been removed (Wavedashing, L-Cancelling, etc.)
-All the players have been downgraded and Nintendo didn't want anyone to dominate.
-You grab the edge practically every time, its like magnetic almost
-Great combo's = gone because of slow free fall
-You can airdodge continuously
-Disastrous and awkward load times

I am sure there are others like me out there...I've been on this board many times as a lurker, but tonight I had to join to voice my disgust. I don't know about you guys, but I'll be playing Melee for a LONG time to come. Also please don't say I'm judging the game too early, because I Played the Japense one before too.

Smash+Nintendo run In my blood, and please don't judge me or my credibility by my post count. Most of my roommates like it, to my suprise, but I want to see if anyone else is on my side..
Shut tha hell up.
go play melee then.
Brawl is wayy better.
Melee is for lames now.
Get with the times.
Brawl is teh tihs.
Get wit it or get lost.
Brawl = Mature version of Melee

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I remember seeing this thread with no posts and thinking "I hope no-one feeds this troll who has made his account just to antagonise people."

24 pages later I see that he did get fed. Seriously, misery loves company. A person whos username is "Nintendo failed with brawl" Isn't exactly gonna be convinced and then become an active forum member is he?

*sigh*

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I've gotten more enjoyment from one day of Brawl than I have the last year of continuous Melee matches. The way the characters control feels more refined and polished, the slow pace rewards strategy over reflexes and the characters I use are an absolute blast.

And as someone who never quite got the hang of integrating shorthopping and mid-air item grabbing into my game, the noobification of these techniques makes the game a lot more enjoyable for me.

Some vets may prefer Melee's familiarity, but here's one Smasher who could never go back

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Some vets may prefer Melee's familiarity, but here's one Smasher who could never go back
One's here to. ;)

But I don't understand why this thread compare Smash with Mario Party??? It's not even in the same caliber.

Ca$hoholic

Smash Journeyman
The Cold north! even though it is pretty hot...
The worst thing is that this guy stopped following the thread right away xD i can't even see a single post of hi in this. XD

Brawl is still challanging without any hidden extra features. and is still as much as we loved the past games. Brawl is although not melee number 2. it is brawl number 1.
The game is made as a great multiplayer game (and human vs computer game) and no body can ruin that part.
but why am i ebven saying this? the troll dissapeared right after he made it *Rofl*

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
Just because Melee's advance techniques have been removed doesnt mean that there wont be more to come , im sure the first week of release for melee people werent wavedashing all over the place. I dont like that the game is slowed down, but i very much apreciate making the characters mostly equal or at least closer to equal, how is that a bad thing, i guess some people like the thought of mastering every trick to top teir characters and looked down on those whod pick anyone else. And it is a little too early to judge even for japaneese release.

YOU HAVE HAD THE GAME FOR LESS THEN ONE DAY YOU FREAKIN' IDIOT.
I will now take this moment to tell you that your first impression is incorrect. Go back, learn the game more, and come back when your bias opinion has a little more.
I don't own the game yet, but what I played on Saturday I absolutely loved. Melee was good, but this game feels like it has more control over the character the way it was supposed to be. I feels like Smash 64's pace with Melee's strategy to me the first time.
And your problem TC is that you expect to play this game just like Melee. That is your problem and you can be unhappy about it. I'm going to play Brawl for the incredible game it is.

Minty

Smash Apprentice
I only read the first post that the you wrote. I must have to say this thread fails. Just because it isnt a melee 2.0 doesnt make it all that bad. Learn to adapt to brawl.... I on the other hand, like brawl and melee at the same time. I was playing brawl online with my friends it was pretty fun. So i dont know wtf your smoking but Brawl IMO better then melee

bovineblitzkrieg

Smash Journeyman
gladly.

For starters, Brawl is much more oriented towards spacing and specific character traits rather than pure speed and technique. Each of the characters have a lot more "advanced" attributes within their own character that they don't share with other characters. In Melee, you could rely on universal character tricks such as wavedashing in order to supplement your character's abilities rather than relying on them, which brought Melee to a point where you would win by playing as the characters with the best movement, etc.

Now Brawl removes these universal techniques and replaces them with ones that are character-specific, meaning that you no longer can expect to win against your opponent UNLESS you know both your own character and your opponent's character inside out. It allows for a much more personal connection with your main.

Take Toon Link and Lucario for example. Two characters who can use footstool jumps off the ground at close range (with good timing) to eat right through an opponent's shield and immediately hit them with an unblockable Dair. There may be other characters in the cast who can do this, but at the moment it's pretty exclusive. Knowing how to do this will be one thing that separates scrubby players from those who've really mastered their instrument. It doesn't just come down to something as simple as "I can wavedash and you can't."

Also, the speed of the game is not an issue. In fact, if anything it creates for a less offensive and more defensive game, which is IMO a lot more exciting, especially with the new powershield mechanics. It will be focused on mind games, careful planning, intelligent play and strategy over move spamming. Oh, and on the subject of move spamming, you now HAVE to play using your character's entire moveset due to stale move negation, meaning that you have to work with your character even more if you want to win.

Seriously, you really need to focus on what makes Brawl BRAWL and not Melee. I don't want to get stuck moaning about an old game when the sequel has come out. The past sucks, look to the future and forget the past ever existed is my motto. Brawl has plenty of opportunity, you just have to be willing to go and discover it.

excuse me, but how is a more defensive game more exciting????

i agree that the game is much more defensive, which leads to more standoffs, camping, and boredom.

I can't even begin to tell you how much camping I've seen already...

PeachFan

Smash Cadet
NNID
DelphinusV
3DS FC
2595-0710-4989
Kinda funny that I stumble onto this thread when Mario Party was one of the games that I traded in toward Brawl... I'm sorry, but I just can't agree. I've been playing Smash since the N64 days, and loved each game so far. Brawl will take some adjustment sure, but it's not a failed game. It's a great game. It's nice that you have lots of friends that you can play Melee with, I had like 2 or 3. So it's no surprise that Online was a huge thing for me, granted it's not working too well at the moment, but that will get straightened out in time. Everyone deserves their own opinion, and your in a different situation than I, but even if I had a lot more friends that play Smash, I still think I'd be embracing Brawl for the top shelf game that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom