• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left Handed Players: Controller Handicap?

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I love the gamecube controller, it is by far my favorite console controller, and I'm ecstatic that it's continuing into Wii. But earlier I was wondering if left-handed players had any complaints about the controller, which clearly has a sidedness. I'm not sure if it is for better or for worse though, so I was wondering if any left-handed players have any comments, like if they think they would prefer the controller reversed, and if not, does that mean we right-handed players have the less advantageous form, or is it all just what we get used to?

Pneuma

Smash Ace
I assume left handed people have more control over their movement while right handed people are better at short hops, c-sticking, and stuff like shdl or really quick bat drops.
I don't really see any advantage though. Movement is just as important as anything you do. You have to be in the right place first for anything to happen.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
I assume left handed people have more control over their movement while right handed people are better at short hops, c-sticking, and stuff like shdl or really quick bat drops.
I don't really see any advantage though. Movement is just as important as anything you do. You have to be in the right place first for anything to happen.
Wrong. :)

I play fox, with hard SHs, I can shdl easily, and i'm PRO at hrc. And I'm left-handed. :chuckle:

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Err... that doesn't make me wrong. It makes you good at using the controller.

Like I said before, I don't see any real advantage, especially after a certain point when people use the controller as an extension of their body.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I wouldn't think it would matter. I'm left-handed, and I have no complaints about the Gamecube controller. All controllers are based on the design with the analog stick being on the left and buttons on the right. By the age most Smashers are, they should be used to it. Plus, I play piano, so coordination-wise, my right fingers are as good as my left :chuckle: .

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Was the picture really necessary?

Also, I have no problem with left or right handed-ness, considering I'm ambidextris.

ImDaTroof

Smash Apprentice
I'm Left handed and I actually do mor with my right than I have to. EXAMPLE: I shield, wave dash etc. with my right even though i could do it with my left.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I don't think being left-handed has any advantages at all. It hardly makes a difference. Oddly though, although I am left-handed, I shield, wavedash, and l-cancel using the R button.

Miharu

Smash Hero
IMO left-handed persons have greater dexterity when it comes to telling the controller just what the **** they want it to do.

Vall3y

Smash Lord
i know a left handed guy, and he does look like its harder for him to do stuff with the right side of the controller, while he can easly short hop with the analog and dash dance really fast
if i was left handed id consider using the analog for everything it can be used for - aerials, short hops. if one could really short hop with the analog 100%, then it can actually be better than x\y because your thumb is free to press A\B and thus execute things faster etc

cF=)

Smash Lord
When you play an instrument (except maybe bass and guitar), you don't complain of your hands position. You cannot flip a flute or a trumpet to make it fit your right or left handed style. Same thing here, you just get used to it and I'm pretty sure it has absolutely no influence.

Beside, I'm right handed, but plays some sports left handed.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
Meh, I don't see a really large difference, because controller grip will (supposedly) feel natural.

Blade of Truth

Smash Rookie
Im a lefty, and it doesnt seem that being left handed has really caused any problems for me. I mean, when you pick up the controller for the first time, then thats the feeling youre used to. Now if I had started on a left handed controller that would be different but I think that it would play the same for everybody because its established (and you use both hands anyway).

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the reason this even being brought up doesn't make sense is because this is just how controllers are. its what gamers know, its what gamers love. its the standard, there is nothing different (unless you include the wii, but thats something different completely) people have grown accustomed to it.

some people are left handed in the sense that they throw a baseball/write/are stronger with one arm/hand.

gamers when they play games are all the same type. so like when we game we all use the same configuration the same hand movements. basically we can just say "all gamers are right handed when they game" or "all gamers are left handed when they game" (even though they aren't, but when we play games we are all the same thing, its hard to word lol)

do you see what i'm tryign to say? theres no advantages or disadvantages here, its the same concept as using a keyboard

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
haha, that would be funny, a reverse keyboard for left handed people...

say if youre left handed, you might have a slight advantage with the control stick, such as tilting faster or something, but then again, being right handed, you could press buttons faster...i think any advantages either side has balance out even. if there actually are advantages.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
The King is left handed. 15th best jiggly puff in the states according to the power rankings.
There are fourteen Jigglypuffs better than King? :laugh:
I know what you mean , but you might want to rephrase that. You don't want noobs to question King's awesomeness-man-ship.

chlor0form

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Pneuma. Left handed players should naturally have more control over their movement while right handed people, at short hops, c-sticking, etc. People learn to adapt either way, but after a great deal of practice, the controller does infact become more and more 'a part of their body'.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I'm left-handed, and I certainly don't see any problems. If anything, it's an advantage for us to have the control stick on the left, because the control stick requires so much more finesse than the right-hand buttons. The difference is minimal, though.

Top Bottom