• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ledgedrop aerial interrupt

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Crazy find Hectohertz!
I am sorry to hijack your thread. I don't hope you mind me asking a few simple questions. I wanna get into TAS'ing myself.
What emulator are you using to record these TAS recordings?
How do you make the inputs appear on the screen? And also the state the character is in?
Do you use a controller, at all, when making these?

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Crazy find Hectohertz!
I am sorry to hijack your thread. I don't hope you mind me asking a few simple questions. I wanna get into TAS'ing myself.
What emulator are you using to record these TAS recordings?
How do you make the inputs appear on the screen? And also the state the character is in?
Do you use a controller, at all, when making these?

i didn't make the gif, our resident frame data / gif delivery god @ Kadano Kadano did. i just came up with the idea.
if you look in the bottom right of one of the melee mechanics videos he makes, such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxthNFJtk64 you'll see a list of the programs he uses

legotack

Smash Rookie
Could you explain a bit how this works? Does the uair push you up onto the stage, like a platform cancel? Why does the move autocancel? Seems like awesome tech.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Could you explain a bit how this works? Does the uair push you up onto the stage, like a platform cancel? Why does the move autocancel? Seems like awesome tech.
the uair shifts your ECB (environment collision box) so you land immediately. you can do this same trick on BF/DL by standing below a platform, full hop, and then uair either 7/9 (i forget which) frames after you leave the ground. [note those numbers could be wrong]

platform cancel is a bit of an overloaded term, so im not sure which specific tech you are referring to. but most meanings of platform cancels do have something to do with ECB

it autocancels because you land on frame1 of your uair, which is early enough in the animation that it will autocancel

Last edited:

OnStrings

Smash Rookie
the uair shifts your ECB (environment collision box) so you land immediately. you can do this same trick on BF/DL by standing below a platform, full hop, and then uair either 7/9 (i forget which) frames after you leave the ground. [note those numbers could be wrong]

platform cancel is a bit of an overloaded term, so im not sure which specific tech you are referring to. but most meanings of platform cancels do have something to do with ECB

it autocancels because you land on frame1 of your uair, which is early enough in the animation that it will autocancel
Is this also true for the needle charge animation? Sometimes I'll full hop onto a BF platform while charging and I don't ever land, I suddenly am just on the platform already

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Is this also true for the needle charge animation? Sometimes I'll full hop onto a BF platform while charging and I don't ever land, I suddenly am just on the platform already
hmm, idk. thats interesting, i gotta try that. needles do also autocancel, so in theory its possible. depends how needle charge changes your ecb. gonna have to play with this

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Well you arrive standing and charging needles. I can't think of a situation where that is something you want since you can't interrupt the charge for a good amount of frames.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
Well you arrive standing and charging needles. I can't think of a situation where that is something you want since you can't interrupt the charge for a good amount of frames.
heh. oh. gotcha. yeah that doesnt seem particularly useful

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
lagless land that's interesting

I can do no impact lands onto the platforms with marth (if you do a hax dash/wavedash off the edge and jump forward instead falling to the ledge) but there's no attacks involved

this is so trippy I wonder why this is even a thing and if there's more of it

Last edited:

hectohertz

Smash Ace
lagless land that's interesting

I can do no impact lands onto the platforms with marth (if you do a hax dash/wavedash off the edge and jump forward instead falling to the ledge) but there's no attacks involved

this is so trippy I wonder why this is even a thing and if there's more of it
AIs(Aerial interrupts) are actually fairly different than NILs. both are consequences of ECBs(environment collision boxes), which you can see in debug mode.

normally in melee, characters land on their knees. the "landing lag" of just landing normally is the animation of them going from "on their knees landing" --> standing. in a NIL, you "land" in a way that your feet are in positions where the game thinks you are already standing. NILs have 1 frame of lag (WAIT0) that is unavoidable. the next frame could be an attack.

in an AI, an aerial cause you to shift your ECB downwards, such that you trigger a collision with the floor (whereas if you didnt do the aerial, you would be too high above the floor to land). this causes you to land on what would be the first frame of the aerial, which on a lot of aerials is during the window to autocancel it (4 frames of lag with most characters).

from playing around, i also found AIs with pika and marth. there are definitely a ton more in the game! kadano has a chart with grounded actionable intangibility stats, it shows which chars we've found AIs with so far.

all these effects are more easily understood with ECBs on.

also those are pretty rough explanations, you should look at Kadano threads for more rigorous explanations

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I got the idea (if perfected) that this indeed could prove useful when edge guarding spacies, shooting a straight needle at their high UpB.
EDIT: sorry for derailing the thread

Last edited:

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
So i was just reading this thread and the needle thing gave me an idea, which then gave me another idea, which can me an even better idea.

Platform Warp Double Up-b Hitbox

Drop from a platform and shortly after double jump to up-b. If done right you will land on the land with the first hitbox, then you vanish in whatever direction with the next hitbox, I think down is probs best.

frames
0 - Drop
1 - First frame airborne
20 - DoubleJump
21 - | Window to Up-B
22 - | Window End (following frame values are 1 frame later when up-bing here)
29 - Land (first hitbox)
38 - Intangible
56 - Vanish (second hitbox)

*works with a later doublejump

Probs not a great option, but it looks so swag especially when vanishing down.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
So i was just reading this thread and the needle thing gave me an idea, which then gave me another idea, which can me an even better idea.

Platform Warp Double Up-b Hitbox

Drop from a platform and shortly after double jump to up-b. If done right you will land on the land with the first hitbox, then you vanish in whatever direction with the next hitbox, I think down is probs best.

frames
0 - Drop
1 - First frame airborne
20 - DoubleJump
21 - | Window to Up-B
22 - | Window End (following frame values are 1 frame later when up-bing here)
29 - Land (first hitbox)
38 - Intangible
56 - Vanish (second hitbox)

*works with a later doublejump

Probs not a great option, but it looks so swag especially when vanishing down.

i'm actually a huge proponent of double-vanish. so im definitely learning this :D

hectohertz

Smash Ace
can you describe how you control it? whats your thought process?
i use it when i want to get to a platform, and want to be grounded on the platform ASAP while charging needles.

when i need to get to a platform to follow up on something (like a tech-chase), i'd use an AI upair

Kadano

Magical Express
why does your link direct people through facebook instead of directly to the gfycat?
I'd bet he didn't do that on purpose. If it bothers you, you can just select the text and paste it in the address bar. Or use my galint post that has proper direct links:
http://smashboards.com/posts/16761069

(Stuff like that is linked in the index of my Perfect Marth Class thread within my sig.)

Last edited:

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
I'd bet he didn't do that on purpose. If it bothers you, you can just select the text and paste it in the address bar. Or use my galint post that has proper direct links:
http://smashboards.com/posts/16761069

(Stuff like that is linked in the index of my Perfect Marth Class thread within my sig.)
Thanks! I figured he didn't do it on purpose, it just barely reminded me of some phishing attempts that I've seen or avoided in the past, so I figured I'd ask.

Also woa the resources in your signature are nice!

hectohertz

Smash Ace
yeah it was just an accident, kadano and i were discussing this on FB, i found it, he made the gif, then he sent it to me, i made a FB post, and must have used fb's mangled image URI in the post here

my b

J⩓мє

Smash Apprentice
yeah it was just an accident, kadano and i were discussing this on FB, i found it, he made the gif, then he sent it to me, i made a FB post, and must have used fb's mangled image URI in the post here

my b
sorry if I seemed to be accusing or anything I just noticed the url difference and figured I'd ask

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why/how he presses the cstick up? It seems that he press it up the frame before he lands, then after the 4 frames of landing lag he presses A and does an forwardtilt. How does that work, why didn't it make his character do an upsmash? Sorry, I'm new.

Also, is there a Sheik discord or skype group?

Edit: Oh... he let go of cstick before doing forward tilt. I still don't understand why he pressed the cstick up??

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
He uses Upair to pull himself further up landing during the first frame of it, autocancelling the lag.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Actually he might actually pull himself down into the ground with the Upair. I am not 100% sure

Top Bottom