• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgedash methods

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Is there a difference in amount invincibility frames you maintain depending on whether you let go of the ledge regularly or with a shine to do the invincible ledge wavedash? Letting go of the ledge with shine to ledgedash is much easier for me but I don't want to do it if it gives less invincibility frames. I'm also wondering if the same applies to Falco.

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Let go of the stage by pressing away, not down. Then do a normal wavedash. The perfect ledgedash happens when your wavedash is almost horizontal

There are a few amount of frames you lose if you use shine

Berble

Smash Apprentice
I actually shine and then WD. So l don't die if l screw up.
Well yes that was part of my question. Its easier to ledgedash with the shine but it takes longer and you lose invincibility frames and I'm looking for the most effective method.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Well yes that was part of my question. Its easier to ledgedash with the shine but it takes longer and you lose invincibility frames and I'm looking for the most effective method.
Well the most effective way is to slightly tilt the stick down or away to let go and then DJ > airdodge diagonally ASAP.

Last edited:

GOLF

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
golf#184
I saw this question a couple days ago, and now that I've given it some more thought I don't think shining before ledge dashing is a bad technique at all. the fact that you shine doesn't decrease the amount of invincibility frames, and the shine only takes a couple frames to come out and double jump cancel, hardly enough to notice if you're fast enough. And if the trade off is a couple frames for a reduced risk of self destructing, I say do it.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
It's ultimately better if you don't need to shine because obviously you are losing a certain amount of frames by shining.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I could be wrong, but isn't it an immensely small amount of frames?
l tried shine ledge dash on slow mo and he loses the iframes during the waveland.
So what l do now is to not use the shine if l need the invincibility. And use the shine if l just want to get back in quick.

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
I pull down on my c-stick to drop from the ledge without fast falling. Immediately afterwards I tap jump with the analog stick and waveland onto the stage. It's a little unorthodox, but it really works well for me. It might be worth experimenting with if you want to try something different.

tonic

Smash Cadet
Cervidae, do you not SD a lot with that method? I use it all the time and oftentimes I end up dairing and dying. Maybe it's just my controller, but it tends to be the case that unless I go straight down without moving my c-stick much in other directions (which could trigger inputs). I tried pressing away on my C-stick but the left side is too sensitive and I end up bairing 100% of the time if I'm ledgedashing on the right side of the stage.

schmooblidon

Smash Journeyman
When you do a shine ledgedash, you waste a minimum of 3 intangible frames. The longer you stay in shine, the more frames you waste. You can still get a 12 intangible actionable frame ledgedash if you shine, so it's not that much of a sacrifice if you are good at it.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
I'm doing a lot of drop, shine turn- around, dj wave-land backwards onstage for absolutely no reason.
It's such a bad option but feels so good.

People need to talk more about letting go of ledge asap to use those invincibility frames to their fullest, that's what makes the option so difficult.

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I've been practicing this a lot lately because I find it's super important for the Falco matchup. One of my best friends plays Falco and I find that without this technique that it becomes a losing battle quickly.
Personally, I tap away from the stage, then quickly X>R. Now the first method I was using was pushing the control stick after tapping away from the ledge and pushing it into the 4.5-5 o'clock position. I find it works so much better if I roll the control stick from 9 o'clock to 4 o'clock without letting go of it. This applies to my wavelanding as well

Top Bottom