• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Ledge Tripping"...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
"When your character slides right past the ledge without grabbing it, despite the fact that they should grab it under normal circumstances."

This is getting insanely frustrating. I've lost three games today because I fell past the ledge or didn't grab it with a rising up+B.

Does this have to do with latency or something? Or can we start spinning conspiracy theories about how tripping wasn't removed but instead now occurs on ledges? :mad:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Some upbs don't snap to the ledge, like Little Mac. What characters and what situations?

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Some upbs don't snap to the ledge, like Little Mac. What characters and what situations?
That's just it, though. I mean situations where they SHOULD be snapping to the ledge but don't.

Bowser's up+B (when facing forward) should always snap to the ledge and yet it sometimes rises up and over to give your opponent a free smash...

Other times, you literally slide past a ledge you're touching without grabbing it.

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
After you grab the ledge you can't regrab it again for a short while, just like how you after you grab someone you can't grab them again after a short time, so maybe that's what's happening.

Jasku

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes that happens. It may be because of the position. I think every time that has happened to me, it was because I wasn't under the ledge, or next to it, or even above it; I was coming from a diagonal position. I'm not sure, I'll try to figure out what happens here.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
That's just it, though. I mean situations where they SHOULD be snapping to the ledge but don't.

Bowser's up+B (when facing forward) should always snap to the ledge and yet it sometimes rises up and over to give your opponent a free smash...

Other times, you literally slide past a ledge you're touching without grabbing it.
You may want to check out the Bowser forums. While I'm not sure, I visited it one time and read something about people having problems with his Up-B. It has problems latching to ledges, and sometimes doesn't even latch.

Go check it out, hopefully you'll find your answer!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
After you grab the ledge you can't regrab it again for a short while, just like how you after you grab someone you can't grab them again after a short time, so maybe that's what's happening.
In this case, I'm referring to instances where I hadn't touched the ledge in well over 10 seconds. I don't mean like "I let go, then tried to regrab" I mean "I fell right past it and didn't grab." :(

You may want to check out the Bowser forums. While I'm not sure, I visited it one time and read something about people having problems with his Up-B. It has problems latching to ledges, and sometimes doesn't even latch.

Go check it out, hopefully you'll find your answer!
Sadly, it's not just Up+B that suffers this issue, and I've also heard from others that it's not just Bowser doing this. Alas, ledge tripping seems to be real...

Last edited:

Donkeykong98123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkeykong98123
DK also does the same thing with his Up-B which often results in some ridiculous punish even though he shouldn't just grabbed the ledge.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
A lot of Up B's don't grab the ledge right away, even if you are right next to them. If you start too close, you will just go past the ledge. This has been in every smash game, but since Brawl most have very generous ledge grabbing windows.

Other possible reasons:

-Some Up B's have a much harder time grabbing the ledge facing backwards (some can't at all).
-You can't regrab the ledge for a short period of time after you let go.
-You can't grab the ledge while holding down.

Dr. Eggplant

Smash Rookie
I've definitely run into this problem a few times, though to be honest it's been a little while since its happened to me. And I'm not talking about using Little Mac or anything I'm talking about recovering with other characters. However, Big O just mentioned that you can't grab the ledge while holding down, which I definitely remember trying to do a few times so that may be the cause. I had no idea your character didn't grab the ledge in those circumstances, definitely good to know!

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
This has NEVER happened to me. Threads like this NEED evidence so we can help. Trying saving a replay on your phone and we can try to figure out what happened

Malex

Smash Apprentice
If you hold "up" while moving past a ledge from underneath it, you won't grab it.
If you hold "down" you won't grab a ledge.

I expect this to be the main source of your problem. Holding up after inputting an ^B will cause you not to snap to the ledge.
Trying to fast fall past an edge guarder and holding down while you pass through the ledge will cause you to miss it as well.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Perhaps Bowser can only grab the ledge during his UpB if he's facing it, even while spinning wildly. So if you spin up very quickly and go right past the ledge while he's facing away, you'll fail to clip onto it.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
If you hold "up" while moving past a ledge from underneath it, you won't grab it.
If you hold "down" you won't grab a ledge.

I expect this to be the main source of your problem. Holding up after inputting an ^B will cause you not to snap to the ledge.
Trying to fast fall past an edge guarder and holding down while you pass through the ledge will cause you to miss it as well.
If this is true, that explains why I have trouble with Lucina's Up-B because I hold Up during it, and if I miss I always try to fast fall into it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
If what people are saying is true, I immediately find myself missing Brawl's ledge mechanics (minus edge hogging, I mean...).

Malex

Smash Apprentice
?? Just don't hold down while traveling through a snap frame or don't hold up while traveling upwards through a snap frame.

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I will admit I have never tried bowser in this game. I can say that the edge certainly has a smaller sweet spot than before, however it is not impossible to find if you always aim correctly. I personally can find a flaw in my own play whenever I miss the sweet spot, I would be willing to bet you could as well.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
?? Just don't hold down while traveling through a snap frame or don't hold up while traveling upwards through a snap frame.
It'll hopefully be better on an actual controller (though I'll test to see if this is the case).

The 3DS's circle pad just isn't precise enough...

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

Holding up after inputting an ^B will cause you not to snap to the ledge.
These 2 statements are not true. Holding up does not necessarily prevent you from grabbing the edge.

The only way holding up can ever make you not grab the ledge is if holding up makes your Up B go higher and the extra height also happens to make you pass the ledge before you can grab it.

Holding up may make a few Up B's like Marth's a little bit trickier to sweetspot, but you can still do it.

SloMoJesus

Smash Rookie
I have been experiencing inconsistencies with the clawshot ledge grab with Link. It's gotten so bad that I rarely use it as a recovery option.

Malex

Smash Apprentice
These 2 statements are not true. Holding up does not necessarily prevent you from grabbing the edge.

The only way holding up can ever make you not grab the ledge is if holding up makes your Up B go higher and the extra height also happens to make you pass the ledge before you can grab it.

Holding up may make a few Up B's like Marth's a little bit trickier to sweetspot, but you can still do it.

Yeah, I said "holding up WHILE moving PAST the ledge FROM UNDERNEATH it". If you sweet spot, you aren't moving past the ledge.

Was there an instance where you were able to grab the edge while holding down?

Last edited:

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah, I said "holding up WHILE moving PAST the ledge FROM UNDERNEATH it". If you sweet spot, you aren't moving past the ledge.

Was there an instance where you were able to grab the edge while holding down?
That's the thing though, holding up has nothing to do with with that. You can be moving past the ledge from underneath and still grab it, whether or not you hold up.

Holding down, facing the wrong way (some Up B's can), letting go of the ledge and trying to grab it too soon, or moving past the ledge before your Up B is able to grab the ledge are the only ways to fail to grab the ledge.

Cornstalk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cornstalk
Now that you mention it... Even in single player modes there does seem to be a strange inconsistency in ledge grabbing.

On Charizard I usually use Dragon Rush (side-b alternative). If I use it too close to the ledge, sometimes he'll hit it and bounce off, sometimes he'll sweetspot it. Dragon Rush also has strange behavior against projectiles in 1.03 as well, where sometimes it will clash, sometimes it will hit him, and sometimes he'll blast threw it.

Charizard's Up-B also occasionally fails to sweet spot the ledge, but only if I'm using a variant that attacks. Fly high never seems to fail a sweetspot unless I blatantly miss.

So my guess...

Certain frames of multihit moves carry a property that prevents sweet spotting AND cause a small delay in being able to grab the ledge. Perhaps it's the higher priority hits causing this? Mainly the ones that can clank.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
stop trying to find excuses to not blame the game, this is THE GAMES FAULT
the game has some serious coding issues and needs work

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I think what some of the posts in this thread are saying is that the UpBs are specifically designed not to snap to the ledge. It's not a coding issue, it's intentional.

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
I think what some of the posts in this thread are saying is that the UpBs are specifically designed not to snap to the ledge. It's not a coding issue, it's intentional.
if thats the case then it CLEARLY is a game issue, why would you purposely make some to not snap to ledge, thats just stupid on the developers part

thats like making shulk's counter unblockable
or peach's upB not grabbing the ledge if she facing away from it

stupid decisions by the developer makes stupid games... =/

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
if thats the case then it CLEARLY is a game issue, why would you purposely make some to not snap to ledge, thats just stupid on the developers part

thats like making shulk's counter unblockable
or peach's upB not grabbing the ledge if she facing away from it

stupid decisions by the developer makes stupid games... =/
Probably to nerf some recoveries. Little Mac's, for instance, doesn't snap to the ledge every time.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
For Mac, it accentuates the vulnerability of his recovery, since he's supposed to be terrible offstage.

For Mario, he can't ledgesnap until his invinicbility frames end, preventing him from using invincibility to get past things like dtilt edgeguards.

For Robin, she can't snap until both Elwind uses are used to force usage of full durability (and probably to prevent ledge canceled elwind spikes).

For Dedede, he can't snap during the descent of his upB because recovering high with an active spike hitbox would be incredibly risky to edgeguard against, and forcing a low recovery counterbalances his abnormally potent recovery for a heavyweight by making it predictable.

Just some examples. In most cases where there isn't a snap, there's a legitimate reason for it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've now fallen past the ledge OFFLINE while not pressing any direction on the circle pad whatsoever...

Ledge tripping is real...

Top Bottom