• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge trapping: F-air to spike

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to how big/persistent the bomb explosion hitbox is because it could cover more then neutral get-up if it's not tiny.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
This should troll a lot of noobies.
There's no way it can cover a roll even if placed dead center. The bomb explodes after a second or when it hits the ground, whichever comes first. Tried using it like Villager F-smash and was disappointed.

phantoon

Smash Cadet
There's no way it can cover a roll even if placed dead center. The bomb explodes after a second or when it hits the ground, whichever comes first. Tried using it like Villager F-smash and was disappointed.
yeah this is just reinforcing how i feel about the move in general: definitely interesting but is it ACTUALLY good?
did you find anything else that might be relevant about f-air?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
yeah this is just reinforcing how i feel about the move in general: definitely interesting but is it ACTUALLY good?
did you find anything else that might be relevant about f-air?
The setup in the video is way too hard for me to do on the Joycon @_@. The knockback on the bombs is pretty low, though, so you can definitely get follow-ups at almost any %. It really helps the move even with the small explosion delay as you can use it to shield pressure, edge-guard, tick-grab, etc. Seems like it will be very skill intensive to get the most out of the move.

EDIT: If enemy hits the bomb before it explodes, it doesn't go off, sadly. Also, there is an initial hitbox for the Fair which usually combos into the bomb for 15.3% on 1v1.

Last edited:

phantoon

Smash Cadet
a new take on the combo from OP: https://twitter.com/I3ryce/status/1067329356954050560

The setup in the video is way too hard for me to do on the Joycon @_@. The knockback on the bombs is pretty low, though, so you can definitely get follow-ups at almost any %. It really helps the move even with the small explosion delay as you can use it to shield pressure, edge-guard, tick-grab, etc. Seems like it will be very skill intensive to get the most out of the move.

EDIT: If enemy hits the bomb before it explodes, it doesn't go off, sadly. Also, there is an initial hitbox for the Fair which usually combos into the bomb for 15.3% on 1v1.
i've heard that initial hitbox is really weak, even if the bomb doesn't go off on contact with the enemy, does it still combo reliably? i guess that's nice
though i'm guessing if you only hit with the first hitbox you'll get punished for it easily

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
a new take on the combo from OP: https://twitter.com/I3ryce/status/1067329356954050560

i've heard that initial hitbox is really weak, even if the bomb doesn't go off on contact with the enemy, does it still combo reliably? i guess that's nice
though i'm guessing if you only hit with the first hitbox you'll get punished for it easily
The first hitbox is tiny, weak (3%) and you have to be practically inside opponent, but onstage it the bomb will always cover you since it explodes right away. (Not a true combo, sadly). Offstage the bomb tends to miss after the initial hit, but you'll probably be glad to deal that 3% rather than be a sitting duck performing this move.

Neb

Smash Lord
Big ups to |3ryce and Poco:

1. Chef is a legit projectile, arches can be controlled to throw food longer/shorter distances
2. Bucket absorption makes G&W invincible and can shield next frame, low cooldown
4. Oil Panic covers opponents in muck and there's a forced sit down animation for follow-up (maybe only at early %)
3. Fair > Other moves true combo like other character's do to get off their kills (KO DK from middle stage at 53%/Fox at 38%)
4. Minimal cooldown when you land fair, you can even string them into eachother
5. Grounded upb (frame 2 hitbox) is a combo starter; so far oil panic/uair/nair/dair at low-mid-high %

Grounded upb > dair (repeat) should definitely be tested for a potential pillar option

Last edited:

CCCM89

Smash Ace
from what I'm seeing of Fair, it fits well with the bait and punish style G&W already has. even if the bomb doesn't explode on the enemy on hit, a weak hit with it should freak out an opponent and make then shield, opening up some nice down-throw into judge combos, Worst case, it can just be seen as another slow but powerful Fair that you see on tons of characters, just with a noticeable sour spot.

Top Bottom