• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge-Jump-Cancel Shine (Now With a real working video)

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
As most of you know, in Melee when you ledge-jumped (hanging on ledge and then hitting X, Y, or up) you had lag and could not attack, dodge, ect. for a certain amount frames. With Fox it was even worse due to his fall speed so he couldn’t attack until then last few frames before he landed if he didn’t get hit because you were stupid and did that.

In Brawl this is different; you can attack or do whatever right when your character leaves the edge. When you attack afterwards, most attacks will not cancel momentum so you will rise while doing that attack.

Since the Shine cancels all aerial momentum, if you time it right (few frames after the jump) Fox will shine right after he jumps off the edge and will appear as though he flipped onto the ledge and shined.

Also when you do hit the jump button you will gain some invincibility so you cannot be hit and then the shine will hit the other person. As another side note this is the quickest way I have seen to get back onto the ledge even with the shine lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8--ux9ike0

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
Sounds great, although I'm not sure I completely understand it. Looking forward to your demonstration video! :)

SuPeRCuSsIoN

Smash Journeyman
i just tried it out. and i did it right, cause he was not in the air when i shined, but on the ground. its like a ledge jumpshine. or something. this technique is AWESOME guaranteed to get you going in competitive play. nice technique and thank you for sharing

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
HMMMMMM...

Two theories on that either you can't upload FLV files to youtube (not likely) or my computer is a piece of S*** and won't do it.

I will try to find a way to upload it asap

super_bacon807

Smash Apprentice
Awesome find. Fox could infinite edge stall using the Firefox and Fox Illusion in Melee. Now in Brawl, Fox can infinite edge stall using his shine.

One question: Can Brawl Fox infinite edge stall using the Firefox and/or Fox Illusion??

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
This was discussed partially in the Advanced Techniques thread. You can do any move after a few frames you jump from the edge. The shine cancels your upwards momentum. It also works with Ike and Marth's downB counter.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
I love it! Shined onto the stage as my opponent, so cleverly, dodge what would have been an attack. He ended up on the other side of me and got shined off the edge. That's when my Foxstincts (fox instincts) kicked in. I immediately followed it with to shine spike and a ledge hog. Shine spiking someone off the stage from the ledge is unbelievable awesome. The ultimate in-your-face.

Thanks bro. Another trick up the bottomless whole that is Fox's sleeve.

Vondill

Smash Rookie
From another thread with this topic:

I've tried this, didnt find it very useful, more situational than anything. Against a decent player, they probably wont be standing close enough to get hit by the shine (if you're going to go up with an attack you may aswell hit A, you're not going to suprise them with the jump animation if it doesnt even occur). And even if you do, the moment they see fox getting up if they're good they'll either immediately roll back and wait for your next move or shield/block and grab you. Lets say if worked perfectly and you hit them, how is it different from a normal A recovery?(which has longer range) Seems like a lot of trouble for little to no gain. And hasnt really worked successfully yet, even with perfect timing. It just seems like you're a lot more vulnerable while doing this.

Sure it's flashy (heh) and impressive to time, but is it really worth it? I've yet to find out.

Top Bottom