• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ledge canceled dairs

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
So earlier today i was playing against a friend, and i was ganondorf, I daired him, he meteor canceld, and i accidentally platform canceled(ledge cancel anyone?) the dair and just daired him again before he could regain height from the cancel.
Anyone been able to do this? usefulness? perhaps a new technique which would make use of people practicing platform cancels?

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
So you're saying you used a Dair, which hit him, and you landed on the edge for a brief moment before sliding off, and hit him with a Dair again?

That sounds pretty awesome and hard to pull off, i didn't even think you could get the hitbox of the Dair out if you're going for the ledge.

chaddd

Smash Lord
It's a hard technique to do consistently, but it will interrupt any aerial and allow to use an entirely different air. For example the double forward air or double back air. Or you can use it to cancel a stomp into a different air as a mind game to throw people off. But yes, it's definitely hard to learn consistently. Always food to know, though.

JAPMAN

Smash Journeyman
Ive trying it as i type, but imo it seems the easiest to do if you start pulling out the aerial and di after you input the command for the dair. This should let you slide off the edge after the hitbox comes out.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Wait so if you can do this with Ganondorf's Dair, does that mean you can ledgehop and hit someone with it too? Because i was under the impression that the hitbox doesn't come out if you land on the stage while doing it via ledgehop. Feh, maybe i'm just stupid.

Anyway, yeah, i've 'ledge cancelled' before, try it on dream land on one of the side platforms. Ledge cancel a dair on the first platform, then one on the edge of the stage in the same motion; it makes you do 3 dairs in the timeframe of one, heheh. Of course i've never done it in a real fight though :(

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
Wait so if you can do this with Ganondorf's Dair, does that mean you can ledgehop and hit someone with it too? Because i was under the impression that the hitbox doesn't come out if you land on the stage while doing it via ledgehop. Feh, maybe i'm just stupid.
no you are not, the hitbox will never come out.

One thing i have found out is that if you do a ledgedash and then shorthop a nonfastfalled stomp and DI towards the edge the whole time you will most likely edgecancel it to edgehog or whatever you like(Uair ***** too)

This is definetly a useful technique.

Magus420

Smash Master
Anyway, yeah, i've 'ledge cancelled' before, try it on dream land on one of the side platforms. Ledge cancel a dair on the first platform, then one on the edge of the stage in the same motion; it makes you do 3 dairs in the timeframe of one, heheh. Of course i've never done it in a real fight though :(
IIRC, if you platform dash on the left platform of DL 64 and don't hold a direction at the very end so you don't slide off but are at the very edge of it, you can shorthop fully towards the other end of the platform and c-stick a d-air to get an automatic ledgecancel on it then pull out another air immediately after it. The damn wind will often start right up on me when I try it and screw it up though :embarrass

Though somewhat by accident, I've once ledgecancelled a d-air out of a d-throw techchase at the very edge of the stage on a Fox and was able to quickly doublejump into a down-b spike. It was delicious :lick:

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
uh since when is platform cancelling (or ledgecancelling watever u wanna call it) a new technique. ive known about this for a while. Link users use it all the time and phanna has a video of him constantly platform cancelling samus's air chain.

this technique is not new but i do say it is useful sometimes. ur not always in the position to use it and when u are sometimes u cant really use it effectively. Good technique hard to pull out.

Magus420

Smash Master
No. Read that again. The 'technique' he's referring to is d-airing -> ledgecancel -> d-air again before they gain height from the meteor cancel, not ledgecancelling itself as something that might be new.

He even makes it clear in that very portion of the sentence: The technique... which would make use of platform cancels.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
I like it. Also, to clarify the difference, since some people get the two confused, edge cancelling is when you use the horizontal momentum of a player to slide an attack off of the edge of a platform or the level to cancel all lag of the move. Platform cancelling, on the other hand, is when an attack you are performing while falling through or passing above a platform comes to an abrupt halt, leaving you standing on the platform. You can drop through a platform with Samus' nair, or Falco's bair, for example, and if you do it fast enough (and hit something), you'll land back on the platform immediately. I've also done it while jumping up to a platform and doing Samus' fair.

A really showy way of executing this would be to slide a reverse stomp to ganon boot. So with your back to the edge, come at it performing a dair, edge cancel it off, and then down-b to finish the job ^_^

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
No. Read that again. The 'technique' he's referring to is d-airing -> ledgecancel -> d-air again before they gain height from the meteor cancel, not ledgecancelling itself as something that might be new.

He even makes it clear in that very portion of the sentence: The technique... which would make use of platform cancels.
yea i just saw wat u said ur right. me bad:laugh:

Top Bottom