• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning to Use Palutena's Glorious Kill Combos

Learning to Use Palutena's Glorious Kill Combos

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Re4gNarsil submitted a new guide:

Learning to Use Palutena's Glorious Kill Combos - Here's the facts you need to know about how and when to combo into up airs and down airs

Hey everyone, seeing as how nobody seems to have made a guide detailing Palutena’s Hallehoohaw or Holy Ken Combo I figured since she’s my main and I feel she is very underrated I’d go ahead and make one myself with several percentages and some tips since these combos are some of the best kill options there are for Palutena players. Everyone knows about smash attacks and up-bs like ZSS’ and Zelda’s, but Palutena has options that can kill far earlier. If you wish to see videos of these combos...
Read more about this guide...

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Oh cool!

Just started using her 48 hours ago xD I think she translates fine from Zelda (who i main i guess) but has more speed and defense oriented stuff. Although I haven't tried those Holy Customs I appreciate the tips and will utilize these. Thanks^_^/

Last edited:

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Glad to help! I main Zelda as well (love how she got buffed with the last couple of patches), as well as Rosalina (who I main in MK8 as well); I hope to get really good with Robin (female), Peach, ZSS, and eventually Sheik. But out of all of these awesome characters I like Palutena the most. She's tricky to learn and get really good with, but she's got serious power and is just so much fun to use. I also think Kid Icarus Uprising is a cool game, and love her personality in it.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Without Lightweight what is the best way to deal with people DIing away and using their second jump when we downthrow?

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Without Lightweight what is the best way to deal with people DIing away and using their second jump when we downthrow?
If they DI away you can follow it up with fair consistently into some pretty high percentages (short hop at lower-to-mid percentages, full hop at higher percentages). Unfortunately, without customs it's hard for her to land up air without a good read or bait. What I do on For Glory is continuously fair the opponent off of a down throw--even when they DI straight up--to condition them to think DI in that direction allows them to escape a guaranteed follow-up. Once they're in kill percentage for up air, punish them for not DI away.

She really requires a lot of work to kill with if you're not using Lightweight or Super Speed, but the more you play her the more you get used to her mind games. Also, don't forget that back air can kill, as can dash attack if you opponent commits to something laggy or (for whatever reason) thinks it's a good idea to start charging a smash attack.

Last edited:

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
If they DI away you can follow it up with fair consistently into some pretty high percentages (short hop at lower-to-mid percentages, full hop at higher percentages). Unfortunately, without customs it's hard for her to land up air without a good read or bait. What I do on For Glory is continuously fair the opponent off of a down throw--even when they DI straight up--to condition them to think DI in that direction allows them to escape a guaranteed follow-up. Once they're in kill percentage for up air, punish them for not DI away.

She really requires a lot of work to kill with if you're not using Lightweight or Super Speed, but the more you play her the more you get used to her mind games. Also, don't forget that back air can kill, as can dash attack if you opponent commits to something laggy or (for whatever reason) thinks it's a good idea to start charging a smash attack.
Yup, b-air is a great option due to knockback and invincibility. If you're using it to ledge guard it can kill at around 100 to 115 percent depending on the character, or at least knock them far enough away that they can't get back.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
So back to my question. I guess no one really found a way to deal with people DIing away and jumping around kill percent? For Glory nubs killing is pretty easy with downthrow U-air or bait airdodge Up-smash. But people who know the match up killing becomes extremely difficult with default palutena D: even with reads her smashes are so slow sometimes.
Down throw becomes pretty useless when Palutena has rage and no lightweight and opponent knows match up and always DI away and use their second jump.

After a certain percentage and depending on the amount of rage, I feel like Palutena loses reliable kill set ups. At this point I abandon all hopes for downthrow and focus on building up damage to ~150%.
Lately I've been going for spotdodge -> U-tilt kills at relatively high percent.
and people forget Up throw kills pretty much everyone at ~150% with rage.
and yep thank god dash attack kills relatively high percent.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
So back to my question. I guess no one really found a way to deal with people DIing away and jumping around kill percent?
There's not much you CAN do without access to Lightweight. Your best bet is to rack up damage until their in ledge back throw's kill percent, or finish them with a back air. If they're DI'ing for a back throw and you use you up throw instead you can net a kill around 130% percent, earlier if you have rage. You have to get pretty creative in order to land kills with her without customs.

Anyway, I've been toying with her jab a little more, since it's one of her strongest tools, and found that it's pretty freakin' powerful if you can land one at the edge. The angle of the jab will push them over the edge, unable to do anything but fall, or jump. Starting at around 80%, the jab will put them in hitstun enough that you can pretty easily land a dair to finish off a stock early. They can simply drift away from the stage to avoid the follow-up (since it's not actually guaranteed), but most players' initial reaction is to move in towards the stage, or jump. All you have to do is make a simple read. And dair isn't the only thing you can use. I've landed many an f-smash and up smash in this fashion, as well. The only hard part is getting in position to jab someone off the stage.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Oh my god I didn't know about the Holy Ken Combo. That is SICKKKK

Re4gNarsil

Smash Cadet
Oh my god I didn't know about the Holy Ken Combo. That is SICKKKK
I wouldn't have found that for quite some time either if I didn't see Aerolink use it against Larrylurr lol. It was so much fun watching his Palutena wreck his opponents Fox.

Top Bottom