• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning to be gentle with the controls?

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
So I just broke my Circle Pad and now I'm sending my 3DS to Nintendo for repairs. I don't want to pay another 145 dollars to repair it again if it breaks, so do you guys have any ways to help me learn to go easier on the controls? I'm currently very rough, pressing on buttons/violently flicking the Circle Pad. Breaking this habit is something I need to do since the 3DS controls aren't as sturdy as the controllers for the WiiU version.

Just another quick question, is Nintendo able to fix cracks in the 3DS case? The partial reason my Circle Pad broke was because the plastic that it rests on cracked and sort of "fell into" the case. It caused friction and stopped my Circle Pad from being able to be moved easily. The other half was that the plastic the rubber part sits on cracked and the Circle Pad was about to fall off anyways. I'll try to upload a picture of this stuff later.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Not sure if it's clear enough but this is the image.
http://imgur.com/mXD9xum

Last edited:

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
Bump. I'm allowed to do this after 48 hours, right? Is there a thread with all the forums rules somewhere? Sorry I'm still kinda new around here.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
I usually find myself being a bit aggressive with the 3DS analog when a match is laggy, since moves aren't buffered in this game. And, laggy matches themselves already put me on edge, so I get irritated as well. I don't know if there's a cure, per say, but you just have to train yourself to be gentle so it becomes a habit you can switch to any time.

I know when I'm content and mellow; at ease, everything flows together. You know? You gotta be like water.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
This thread makes me blush. :awesome:

If 3ds has a training mode, then start there. Muscle memory is something you do without thinking, so you need to be conscious of undoing that habit until it becomes a habit for you to touch lightly. Again, it's muscle memory, so in the heat of the moment you might start fingering the 3ds vigorously all over again. Give yourself mental reminders and notes to relax and flick lightly.

AJL

Smash Cadet
NNID
jplacura
3DS FC
3110-5257-7666
invite him over to have some fun ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)srry had to do it, Okay thats a problem maybe you can do that GC adapter thingy for 3ds???
There are adapters for that? Wow. I use the Gamepad/Pro Controller though. For some reason I've been absolutely terrible with the GC controller ever since I started smash. I started in Melee/early Brawl years but never played competitive until SSB4.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
There are adapters for that? Wow. I use the Gamepad/Pro Controller though. For some reason I've been absolutely terrible with the GC controller ever since I started smash. I started in Melee/early Brawl years but never played competitive until SSB4.
you have to make them sadly but yeah some people make them

Jazzhand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jazzhand
3DS FC
2767-1532-6118
you just have to understand that pressing buttons harder DOESN'T add anything extra to your inputs.

how long you hold the button however... (especially if you play street fighter/ryu in smash)

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
my circle pad looks like it has 4 more supports left before it breaks, my problem is Gentle will fighting, i can't use titlts as easily

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
the best thing i can say to all of you havin problems breaking everything on your ds is just dont get too hype while you play stay calm and clear minded and everything should be fine :p ive had no circle pad problems yet (though somehow my screen got popped outta place at some point still not sure what caused it im kinda leaning towards my pitbull did something to it while i was away XD

but not only just stayin calm and clear help your ds/controller (though controller will be tons more durable) but at least in my cases it helps me play better and keep focused on whats happening/what i can do/ what i should do. i feel like smash is just as much a mental game as it is a physical ( i wouldnt say physical but i dont know what else to call using the controller and everything XD

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Don't press down on the circle pad. As somebody who's played KIU for years without breaking a circle pad, and the game arguably is harder on the circle pad then Smash, you just have to move it up, down, left and right. There's no depth to a circle pad, unlike a normal control stick.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
If inputting Smash Attacks are a problem for you, try holding a direction and either :GCA: or :GCB: to prepare yourself for being 1 button away from getting the Smash Attack out.
When you're ready to fire up a Smash Attack, WHILE holding a direction and either :GCA: or :GCB:, THEN press &/or hold :GCA: or :GCB:, depending on which button you were NOT holding earlier.
If you simply HOLD :GCA: or :GCB: and then press/hold the other button withOUT holding ANY direction AND continuing to HOLD :GCA: or :GCB:, you'll get a non-angled FSmash.

This technique has been in both the 3DS & Wii U versions since the Mewtwo Update, under the name "Alt. Smash Attack" in the Options --> (Name Account) Controls section. It's on by default, so if you haven't been to the Controls section in a while and/or have intentionally left it on, it'll be possible to use this method of inputting Smash Attacks. This method becomes easier to do for Up Smashes if you turn Tap Jump OFF.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey, I got the same problem as the OP. I managed to get it (unfortunately) due to my dashdancing habits when playing the game around March.. I think that's the cause, on my end.

I can't give any suggestions, sadly. I'm getting a New 3DS XL soon and will try to be careful on the Circle Pad this time around. I guess being gentle works.

Top Bottom