• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learning from Level 9 Computers! (Advanced Airdodge Techniques)

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
smash DI is definitely in, I've tested it extensively. Dual stick DI seems to not be.
I don't think air dodge makes any difference at all, but I'll fiddle with it tonight. I always do an airdodge after getting hit, just by instinct.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
i play in ffa against level 9 cpu since ssbm...this time theyr way harder to beat...they use the items and the fs very wisely....i struggle to win unlike in ssbm where it wasnt that hard....:-/
It wasn't very hard because they were so predictable, and I'm sure with time the computers from ssbb will be just as dumb. Level 9 computers just come at you and try to hit you. Have you ever played against a level 9 fox or falco? Sooooo annoying, they just get close to you and punch/kick/punch/kick. As far as tactics go level 9's are just mindless, run at you, hit you machines. I guess however it is possible to learn something from them because they are programed with all the knowledge the game has to offer....somewhat

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Firestorm88 said:
No, the players are just stupider. They'd rather figure out how to name some dumb new technique with no practical use than study basic techniques that can lead to something useful.
Good find SamuraiPanda. I'm going to look through that video now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony

LOL :laugh:

ANyway, this is a good find. And it is better than finding advanced techs without looking at the basics.

Crawl before you walk, not the other way around.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/stupider

On the subject of the in-air momentum canceling, can it be done by means other than dodging? I could have sworn I saw some video's of people canceling their momentum using aerials/B moves.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I have a great idea guys. Why don't we all just wait for the game to come out and then learn the game.

shyo2

Smash Rookie
everyone can do it. he wrote 10 char because you have to write 10 chars to be able to submit a post.

i tested the whole airdodge-momentum thing myself, it seemed to have an effect. plus, level 9's really do it every.freaking.time.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I was actually thinking about testing level 9's in Brawl to see if they use any new techniques. I guess it's true. That air dodge after every attack looks kinda useful.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know I will suck when I get the game too, but seeing all the videos of people playing there has been so many times when Im like "should have air dodged there", it looks like everyone just falls into attacks carelessly but I cant blame them... watch when we look back at these vids a few years from now... :laugh:

very good read Samurai Panda. It made me think of one particular character, Yoshi. In Gimpy's review he said yoshi counldn't cancel his second jump. I wonder if he might be able to cancel or affect the distance rate of his second jump with a air dodge. Does anyone have any info on this?
Actually... read the first post of my thread, then skip to the last page: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=130447

I caught a glimpse of what Im sure was Yoshi DJCing with an air dodge in that demo vid, but people with the game have given their firsthand accounts and it seems it doesnt work in the final JPN version...

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
from the looks of game play the air doge has some momentum lowering capabilities, but not a whole lot. it will probably be better to just use it to save your self from blows that would normaly meant to kill you. this move was made so that we couldnt save ourselfs with it alone, and I think it has less effect than people seem to think.

also, the AI seems improved, this is good as AI in melee has become far to easy for me (finally!).

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
when DIDNT falcos reflector have usage? i spam the thing and it drives my friends NUTS. im too close for them to risk a ranged attack but they cant get in for a melee attack.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
quick question: is there a certain timeframe that you have to airdodge to decrease some of the knockback? Or can you just airdodge anytime after you get hit?

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
I have a humble request: will someone pleeeeeeeease upload those videos to youtube. My Dad's webfilter blocks that niko site. I would be eternally grateful.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i dont know if this has been mentiond but i believe that the cpus airdodge immediately in an effort to avoid combos, it doesn't seem to actually cancel any momentum at all, just like using lucario's down air and using other characters who have weird airs doesn't cancel out any mometum.

Knight-errant

Smash Apprentice
i dont know if this has been mentiond but i believe that the cpus airdodge immediately in an effort to avoid combos, it doesn't seem to actually cancel any momentum at all, just like using lucario's down air and using other characters who have weird airs doesn't cancel out any mometum.
Hm? :confused: I thought that the big deal about Lucario's down air was that it did stop all momentum. Check out what Mookie said:

It also has a very unique property in which it cancels all aerial momentum, even vertical momentum, when you use it. This allows for a lot of uses. One could use it to stall in the air, fake someone out who is pursuing with uairs, and even crazier stuff. Because it cancels momentum it has NO lag afterwards, as you just fall normally. You can use this move immediately after jumping and has a shffl like effect. This move might be the cornerstone to competitive play with Lucario.

Update
Wow, I wasn't sure if this was effective or not, but apparently it is. Check out the dair as a method to help recovery here at 3:00: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=21trerLpJXc

Check out this very fun use for dair as an edgeguard at 1:28. It also cancels out Pits arrows at around 4:33. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xR8J5CGDAaM

Top Bottom