• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"LCD always lag" -> myth busted

BEES

Smash Lord
there are lcds that don't lag

just get the best refresh rate possible, run it in native, and make sure it can be fed with something good, like component

widescreen HDTVs and LCDs are in the wrong aspect ratio, and processing the difference in the picture on screen takes time. Either run it pillarboxed, or find a standard aspect screen (which they haven't been making for the last few years)

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
This thread just reminds me of how sad I am that I will never find a gamecube controller to USB adapter. They're discontinued and not available anywhere D: I would pay alot for those.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend

tcad99

Smash Rookie
I was on another topic talking about NTSC Melee, and people started to say that no matter what I would do, Melee would lag on a LCD. Well that's not true. I finished my setup, and everything is smooth and beautiful.

Some of you may remember that I came here some time ago asking for the best way to enjoy Melee in HD. People were confused by the many technologies and combinations of setup, and I had to document myself to an enormous extent.

Today I'm glad to report that my setup is working great. 480p Melee on my high-profile 19" LCD has never looked so sharped.
I brought my old LCD monitor setup to a tournament and asked a couple people to play on it and they said it was fine, it was just weird seeing how the graphics were rendered. And then later some people were playing on it and dismissed my setup saying it was REALLY “laggy”. what... I think its just bc people are skeptic of playing melee on a LCD monitor, but I could be wrong.

Kerghan

Smash Rookie
I own 2 Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 (aka few CRT PC screen which support 480p through VGA input).

I'm using them with cheap wii component cable and mayflash adapter as Kadano stated in perfect melee setup thread.

I own an ASUS VG248QE which i'm not using with VGA input but HDMI thanks to eon GCHD (look at ebay).

Honestly, I'm pretty sure there isn't a single lag as it's a gaming monitor and I tested both.

That being said, the models doesn't look the same CRT and LCD as CRT tend to smooth the picture.

Pauer

The Pauerful
I think the consensus that some LCD screens are just as good as CRTs is straight up wrong. All LCD screens lag significantly more than CRTs, the differences are orders of magnitude. That being said, I do think that the fastest LCD screens are very close and most player's won't be able to tell a difference but I wouldn't want to play an important tournament match on an LCD.

I also have an Asus vg248qe, it's the one kadano and I tested for his input lag spreadsheet. With a lagless adapter it's still not 100% as playable as a crt (monitor) setup. It just feels slightly off. I don't remember the exact figures but I think it lagged a bit less than half a frame on average. Both kadano and I played with that setup for like 20-30mins and one can adjust very quickly. We both deemed it very playable for friendlies even though we are both quite sensitive in regards to input lag, especially Kadano I think.

m0nkey

Smash Rookie
I think the consensus that some LCD screens are just as good as CRTs is straight up wrong. All LCD screens lag significantly more than CRTs, the differences are orders of magnitude. That being said, I do think that the fastest LCD screens are very close and most player's won't be able to tell a difference but I wouldn't want to play an important tournament match on an LCD.

I also have an Asus vg248qe, it's the one kadano and I tested for his input lag spreadsheet. With a lagless adapter it's still not 100% as playable as a crt (monitor) setup. It just feels slightly off. I don't remember the exact figures but I think it lagged a bit less than half a frame on average. Both kadano and I played with that setup for like 20-30mins and one can adjust very quickly. We both deemed it very playable for friendlies even though we are both quite sensitive in regards to input lag, especially Kadano I think.
Excuse me sir but the thread mention you tested it with a cheap Wii2hdmi adapter while I'm using it with a "homemade" component / hdmi cube hardware solution (Look Eon GCHD on Youtube/ebay)
Honestly on a good HDMI screen I'm pretty sure it's lagless.

Pauer

The Pauerful
Excuse me sir but the thread mention you tested it with a cheap Wii2hdmi adapter while I'm using it with a "homemade" component / hdmi cube hardware solution (Look Eon GCHD on Youtube/ebay)
Honestly on a good HDMI screen I'm pretty sure it's lagless.
The adapter we used, among others, was tested by Kadano for lag independently here. So the adapter could account for a maximum of 0.25ms and I think Kadano even told me that the one we for the measurements at the time had significantly less lag, although even an extra delay of 0.25ms would not make a notable impact in the results.

Top Bottom