• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We're nearing the end of the month and no Level-5 Vision... yet. :/ I guess November then? Strange how they didn't do it on their 20th anniversary.

However! I did come across this recently published article about Level-5's future plans.

It seems like a bulk of what Level-5 has in store was in Famitsu (hopefully someone gets some scans and translate), but this paragraph from Siliconera's article has my piqued my curiosity.

"Speaking on what’s planned for Level-5’s 20th anniversary, apart from Ushiro, which has been changed to be coming to Nintendo Switch, they also have an ace-in-the-hole announcement that has yet to be revealed. The reason why it hasn’t been announced was because of the delay of Inazuma Eleven Ares and Yokai Watch 4. It would be a disservice to the fans waiting for those games if they were to announce it now, said Hino."

Could be a new Layton game, or the online game Hino wants to make as Level-5's 20th anniversary title that was mentioned after the paragraph above. I highly doubt it's about Smash though, as I am starting to lean on the camp that Layton's chances are better as DLC. It's probably about the online game, at least that's something to look forward to!
I see, I guess most of the new info is probably contained within the Famitsu article until they can properly announce things at a later date. Hopefully it is the new Layton game that they aren't ready yet to announce. Inazuma Eleven, Yokai Watch and Layton have kind of been in their own little family when it comes to Level-5 since they were all more or less born within the DS (and 3DS) generations and made it big there.

Perhaps it might be for the best to ask someone who is a bit more clear on the whole thing. PushDustIn PushDustIn my apologies to bother you, I know you're a bit more focused on Smash and any new news in regards to that. But if you have the time and happen to have access to the latest Famitsu scan (The one about Level-5's 20th anniversary) would it be possible to give us at least a clearer general overview in regards to Level-5's interview and if anything interesting may have been mentioned there. Such as in regards to the Layton series or when they plan to do their next announcements?

That would be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
At this point, I am expecting to get my Layton base game prediction to be wrong. But, I guess I am going to be sticking to my predictions to the end to see if there are any surprises. Otherwise, I will just be predicting Layton as DLC after the direct is over.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
DLC sounds about right yeah. By the way, since this is apparently the final Smash Direct before launch. Is anyone expecting Sakurai to tease an upcoming DLC character or two too? Or do you think he will save that up until later?

I'd imagine at best, we'd probably end up seeing Sora and/or Incineroar being revealed but I guess it would be good to get the ball rolling first.

For now, I'm just hoping that the Grinch leak ends up being real and that Layton survives the final Assist Trophy wave. Call me naive but I'm slowly starting to feel more optimistic for Layton's chances as DLC. Here's just hoping we can just get through the base game phase...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
DLC sounds about right yeah. By the way, since this is apparently the final Smash Direct before launch. Is anyone expecting Sakurai to tease an upcoming DLC character or two too? Or do you think he will save that up until later?

I'd imagine at best, we'd probably end up seeing Sora and/or Incineroar being revealed but I guess it would be good to get the ball rolling first.

For now, I'm just hoping that the Grinch leak ends up being real and that Layton survives the final Assist Trophy wave. Call me naive but I'm slowly starting to feel more optimistic for Layton's chances as DLC. Here's just hoping we can just get through the base game phase...
There has been rumors of Sora being revealed at VGA this year. We might not see a Layton DLC reveal until 2019.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
There has been rumors of Sora being revealed at VGA this year. We might not see a Layton DLC reveal until 2019.
I see, Sora being the first DLC character teased makes sense.
I suppose he might be released sometime during Spring or at least before E3 2018. Though like with Lucas, Roy and Ryu. He'd obviously not be the only character being worked on.

Best case scenario would be if we could get Layton revealed sometime during the first half of 2019 but perhaps things might take a bit longer due to Sakurai needing to contact Level-5 and needing to start negotiations with Hino and whatnot. But who knows, maybe he's already taking care of that as he's planning the DLC roster since I'd imagine the game has already gone gold by now and Sakurai is now getting ready for things as we speak...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
yeah i do hope level-5 are in talks to licence layton for dlc (and yo-kai watch)

funnily enough another of level-5's franchises has a game out in the uk same day as ultimate

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Cross your fingers that Akihiro Hino will finally negotiate Sakurai for Smash DLC for the 20th anniversary.

CROSS YOUR FINGERS HARDCORE! AS HARD YOU CAN!
Ah yes, there is that too. Level-5's 20th anniversary. I still can't believe they didn't do much for it other than that interview at Famitsu. For Layton's 10th anniversary they threw a whole party! Unless their planning to celebrate their 20th anniversary on 2019 and announcing that during the Level-5 Vision. If that's the case then dear Mr Hino, please pay Sakurai a visit and try to negotiate the Prof for Smash, heck maybe even try and get Jibanyan in there too while you're at it so both the Western and Japanese fanbase can celebrate your 20 years of history in Smash!

It's the perfect anniversary present if I say so myself.

But yeah, cross your fingers!
Flora.png

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, the Direct just came and went. Has anyone spotted the Prof anywhere?
There where quite some surprises there.

Also where apparently getting 5 DLC characters for next year.... Hooboy...

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Well, the Direct just came and went. Has anyone spotted the Prof anywhere?
There where quite some surprises there.

Also where apparently getting 5 DLC characters for next year.... Hooboy...
I didn't spot him anywhere, but with Shantae as a Spirit it's definitely a possibility. We can definitely hope for DLC though.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I didn't spot him anywhere, but with Shantae as a Spirit it's definitely a possibility. We can definitely hope for DLC though.
Gosh I'm going to be so nervous during the DLC period. One one hand, we survived the Assist Trophy wave, but on the other. Layton may have potentially gone through yet another Smash cycle with no acknowledgement in any way. This might either be a potential blessing or a curse depending on wether or not Hershel has been chosen as one of the five DLC characters.

If Hershel is not going to be a DLC character, at the very least, I hope he's at least a Spirit (Or whatever the new Trophy equivalent is....)

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
At least Layton was not disconfirmed as an Assist Trophy.

I am really hoping Hino negotiated with Sakurai for Layton this year.

With the current situation, I am feeling uncertain about a lot of third-party choices except Sora. :L

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
So not trying to be hasty but I believe most of our unrevealed DLC characters will be 3rd party due to the inclusion of a stage and music with the DLC packs. Hopefully Layton could be one of them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
At least Layton was not disconfirmed as an Assist Trophy.

I am really hoping Hino negotiated with Sakurai for Layton this year.

With the current situation, I am feeling uncertain about a lot of third-party choices except Sora. :L
Yeah I hope so too. Please Hino....

I actually feel quite the opposite. I think most of the DLC will probably be focusing on third parties. At least, I can't really think of many viable first party characters that can come with a stage besides Bandana Dee or an advertisement character like someone from Pokemon gen 8 or Fire Emblem Three Houses (Which I really hope they don't do an advertisement pick, especially with only five DLC characters incoming)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
ive been having terrible luck with 3rd party characters, come on layton, please

Yeah I hope so too. Please Hino....

I actually feel quite the opposite. I think most of the DLC will probably be focusing on third parties. At least, I can't really think of any viable first party characters besides Bandana Dee or an advertisement character like someone from Pokemon gen 8 or Fire Emblem Three Houses (Which I really hope they don't do an advertisement pick, especially with only five DLC characters incoming)
theres plenty of viable first party characters

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
theres plenty of viable first party characters
I guess there is also a Rythm Heaven character, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, and maybe Elma, Wonder Red and Captain Toad as well (if they decide to do another Alfonzo.) Besides them, who else is left that hasn't been disconfirmed yet in any way?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I guess there is also a Rythm Heaven character, Paper Mario, Dixie Kong, and maybe Elma, Wonder Red and Captain Toad as well (if they decide to do another Alfonzo.) Besides them, who else is left that hasn't been disconfirmed yet in any way?
the other 14 arms characters, chibi-robo, mallo, tempo, rex from xenoblade, that water droplet from hydoventure, toadette, octolings, ninten from mother, impa and all other zelda characters

theres loads i dont think spirits deconfirms someone

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
the other 14 arms characters, chibi-robo, mallo, tempo, rex from xenoblade, that water droplet from hydoventure, toadette, octolings, ninten from mother, impa and all other zelda characters

theres loads i dont think spirits deconfirms someone
Fair enough I guess, though didn't Sakurai already disconfirm Rex as DLC?

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
This direct was something. Ken and Incineroar are playable for the base game. Then, a lot of characters were introduced in Spirits and or are assists, but Layton nor his franchise are nowhere to be found. Well, I didn't see him... but that was expected, I guess. Although, Piranha Plant is playable? What? XD

At least DLC has been confirmed. May the Professor and his franchise finally get some recognition for DLC, it's our best shot at this point.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I will definitely stick around this thread to hang out. You supporters that regularly come here are like close friends to me.

I still have Katrielle Layton anime impressions to give out (once I am caught up with the anime's current episode) and have Last Specter to play and finish impressions for (I got the game a month ago in a Gamestop Pro sale).

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
This direct was something. Ken and Incineroar are playable for the base game. Then, a lot of characters were introduced in Spirits and or are assists, but Layton nor his franchise are nowhere to be found. Well, I didn't see him... but that was expected, I guess. Although, Piranha Plant is playable? What? XD

At least DLC has been confirmed. May the Professor and his franchise finally get some recognition for DLC, it's our best shot at this point.
The thing I like about the Spirits thing is that now even characters like Flora and Don Paolo can be included even if they don't have pre made 3D models to copy over like they used to. Still gonna miss the trophies though...

Definitely, here's hoping!

i dont think so it sounded more like he was referring to the base game, i suppose it doesnt look good though
I guess so, I'll have to look through it again though and see. If so, it may not look too good for characters such as Chibi Robo or Lip either. Which makes me sad, I would have loved to see Lip playable but at least she finally got more than just the Lip's Stick item that barely acknowledged her existence...

I will definitely stick around this thread to hang out. You supporters that regularly come here are like close friends to me.

I still have Katrielle Layton anime impressions to give out (once I am caught up with the anime's current episode) and have Last Specter to finish and finish impressions for (I got the game a month ago in a Gamestop Pro sale).
Aww thank you very much Blue, I appreciate that a ton!

Alright then, will be looking forward to those!

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

I still have Katrielle Layton anime impressions to give out (once I am caught up with the anime's current episode) and have Last Specter to finish (I got the game a month ago).
Same here!

The original Layton support thread is for smash 4 is what got me to try out the Layton series. I still feel this thread is one of the most pleasant support thread, even though it’s not as active as I’d like.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Well. I think my hope for Layton just sank.

It was said in the direct that DLC fighters were decided around the same time as the base game roster in 2015.

At Level-5's state in 2015, I am seriously unsure if the company actually negotiated with Sakurai for Layton at all.

They weren't taking their relationships seriously to the next level in 2015 as 2018 now.

Ugh, I am frustrated now. :(

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

It was said in the direct that DLC fighters were decided around the same time as the base game roster in 2015.

At Level-5's state in 2015, I am seriously unsure if the company actually negotiated with Sakurai for Layton at all.

They weren't taking their relationships seriously to the next level in 2015 as 2018 now.

Well wasn't there that one fairly recent interview where Hino said that nothing in particular was going on at the moment in terms of Layton in Smash? What if that may have been in regards to the base game and Sakurai and Hino may now be working on getting the Prof for DLC?

Just some food for thought...

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

I actually didn't catch the part where Sakurai said the DLC was decided at the same time as the base roster in 2015, but that's a bit disheartening to hear.

Still, what Curious Villager said is worth considering. Perhaps Akihiro Hino was assuming things from the base roster and wasn't referring to DLC; maybe he wants to keep the possibility of Layton being DLC as a secret.

If Sakurai did approach Level 5 in 2015 when Layton was in that hiatus, I have hope Level 5 suggested Layton to him. With Hino's recent comments about Layton's historical impact for Level 5, I have hope that Level 5 suggested Layton to him on Megaman/Pac-Man/Sonic principle. After all, Professor Layton's games were the ones that made Level 5 famous to the rest of the world, and those recent comments Hino left behind (as well as Curious Village iOS's "the game that started a legacy" tag) show that Level 5 is aware of how important Layton was to the company's history.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I actually didn't catch the part where Sakurai said the DLC was decided at the same time as the base roster in 2015, but that's a bit disheartening to hear.

Still, what Curious Villager said is worth considering. Perhaps Akihiro Hino was assuming things from the base roster and wasn't referring to DLC; maybe he wants to keep the possibility of Layton being DLC as a secret.

If Sakurai did approach Level 5 in 2015 when Layton was in that hiatus, I have hope Level 5 suggested Layton to him. With Hino's recent comments about Layton's historical impact for Level 5, I have hope that Level 5 suggested Layton to him on Megaman/Pac-Man/Sonic principle. After all, Professor Layton's games were the ones that made Level 5 famous to the rest of the world, and those recent comments Hino left behind (as well as Curious Village iOS's "the game that started a legacy" tag) show that Level 5 is aware of how important Layton was to the company's history.
Actually yes, we should probably take a second look at that quote and consider it more carefully. If Sakurai's statement is true in regards to DLC being planned as early as the base roster then it would come to reason that he already took care of all the licencing details far in advance in order to make the DLC progress a lot smoother.

I did feel like Hino's comment was a bit odd as he didn't exactly give a straight answer to the interviewer, who simply asked him if he had approached Sakurai in regards to Layton in Smash or vice versa, instead of straight up saying no, he stated that currently nothing in particular was going on at the moment. Which we know now is true in terms of the base game. But what about DLC...?

Last edited:

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
The thing I like about the Spirits thing is that now even characters like Flora and Don Paolo can be included even if they don't have pre made 3D models to copy over like they used to. Still gonna miss the trophies though...

Definitely, here's hoping!
Oh, that would be great! I can see several characters from the Layton series become part of Spirits. Trophies would have been nice, but I don't mind the new mode.

Well, here's the thing. As Curious Villager said, Akihiro Hino's recent answer regarding Layton in Smash isn't clear. Here's the article regarding the subject if you want to read it again. I'll quote it again here. Hell, I'm going to take a shot into analyzing it, especially with the base game being done for Smash and DLC on the horizon.

"Have you ever been approached or wanted to approach other companies for further crossovers with Layton? He was certainly a high contender in the Smash Bros. fighter ballot.

Hino-san: If it looks like it’s fun and entertaining for both us and consumers, then we’re definitely open to more collaborations. But, there’s nothing in particular going on right now. I have a good relationship with Capcom right now, which was what lead to the Phoenix Wright crossover."

Let's break down the text.

"If it looks like it’s fun and entertaining for both us and consumers, then we’re definitely open to more collaborations."

So it starts up that Hino is open to collaborations with his works and for his company. That of course, is true. Layton got the crossover with Phoenix Wright, there's that Everybody's Golf crossover for PS4. Smash is very successful and huge title, no doubt that if Hino was asked by Sakurai and Nintendo regarding some Level-5 representation he would most graciously accept the offer. We can't forget that he did tell Sakurai in that 2009 Game Show that he wanted to see Professor Layton in Smash, and would leave it all to him to create a moveset. Something, Sakurai already does when adding third parties to Smash, full reign over the character. Negotiations would be smooth sailing.

"But, there’s nothing in particular going on right now."

Okay, this quote is perhaps the most important component of his answer. It's also the trickiest one to read the lines because it's a very neutral response. He doesn't mention Smash, nor makes comment about Layton being a top contender for the fighter ballot. I read it as, "Nothing important at the moment." To add, this interview was published in 2017, it's possible he gave that answer for that moment at that specific time. (Notice, he says "right now" at the end of his sentence.) If DLC was decided in 2015 and Layton is one of the characters, then I don't see him hinting that because that's a past event, two years since this was published in 2017. He's referring to the present, which is now the past since it's 2018. That, and I am sure there are NDAs Level-5 would have to abide to, so they would have to keep quiet on anything Smash related.

In addition, his answer is different than previous responses he has given in the past regarding Layton in Smash. Like this one from 2009.

"C3: Do you think Hershel or Luke would make good special guest characters in something like a new Mario Kart or Smash Bros.?

Hino-san: That would certainly be a wonderful opportunity!"

Here, he gives a clearer answer. It's something he would like to see... meaning he wasn't approached about it. Where as the 2017 interview gives a more neutral response. It's changed, that's an important distinction.

"I have a good relationship with Capcom right now, which was what lead to the Phoenix Wright crossover."

This one is self explanatory. The Layton/Wright crossover became a thing, and therefore Level-5 and Capcom are close - which is good news since Capcom has some hand in Smash Ultimate. It would be nice if this means a possible Layton/Wright DLC double reveal for Smash.

Finally, the Layton twitter has acknowledged they would like to see Layton in Smash. The tweet was even pinned for a while back in 2017. I'm sure Level-5 knows how much the fans want him. A lot of comments by fans on the Layton twitter are Smash related.

And while this may all be me reading too much into Hino's words, I just wanna say that there's still some hope. Despite what has happened in the direct, Professor Layton still hangs on. He's one of the few contenders left, we survived base game. Now, there's DLC. Whether we will see him in or not is unknown yet, but I'll keep supporting. We made it this far, it's not over yet. So keep supporting Layton, as every puzzle has an answer. ;)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We can't forget that he did tell Sakurai in that 2009 Game Show that he wanted to see Professor Layton in Smash, and would leave it all to him to create a moveset. Something, Sakurai already does when adding third parties to Smash, full reign over the character. Negotiations would be smooth sailing.
Oh, do you have a source on that NintenJen? I haven't seen that before. Thank you for doing so much research on this for us, I appreciate that a ton!

It is true that Hino's response was a bit more neutral. If Sakurai did indeed plan the DLC characters around the same time as the rest of the roster, then Sakurai would have most likely done all the negotiations with any third parties during 2016 at the very latest. That interview with Hino was done in 2017 so if there where any negotiations done. Chances are high that they have already been taken care of and that Hino was then playing the waiting game until he receives a notification from Sakurai that he's finally wrapped up with the base game and is ready to work on Layton for DLC.

So hopefully this may mean good things for the Prof....

By the way, there are apparently already rumours circulating around on who three of the five DLC characters may be. But I'm probably going to wait until we get a clearer answer from Vergeben's own sources (or if dataminers find things once Piranha Plant comes out, whichever comes first).

Last edited:

NintenJen

Smash Cadet
NNID
DictatorChoco
Oh, do you have a source on that NintenJen? I haven't seen that before. Thank you for doing so much research on this for us, I appreciate that a ton!
Oh, no problem! I notice I tend to do that a lot for you guys, but I don't mind. It's good to spread word. Like you guys, I'm just as an avid supporter for Layton in Smash, so I like to do a ton of research regarding the subject. Thought contributing some of my research would help spread support.

As for the source about Hino and Sakurai appearing in a gaming talk show together? Got you covered. :) Source Gaming published a really good in depth article regarding Layton in Smash during the fighter ballot. However, the original source is from Famitsu, and is in Japanese. Here's a translated version courtesy of google. xD

Hino basically tells the audience he wants Layton in Smash, in front of Sakurai and then says he leaves everything to him. So, Sakurai knows about Layton and Level-5. Whether he still remembers that request or not is unknown currently though. Hopefully he did, but at least he was told about it!

Klimax

Smash Ace
You can add me to the supporters' list. I really want to see Professor Layton getting in the game.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, no problem! I notice I tend to do that a lot for you guys, but I don't mind. It's good to spread word. Like you guys, I'm just as an avid supporter for Layton in Smash, so I like to do a ton of research regarding the subject. Thought contributing some of my research would help spread support.

As for the source about Hino and Sakurai appearing in a gaming talk show together? Got you covered.:) Source Gaming published a really good in depth article regarding Layton in Smash during the fighter ballot. However, the original source is from Famitsu, and is in Japanese. Here's a translated version courtesy of google. xD

Hino basically tells the audience he wants Layton in Smash, in front of Sakurai and then says he leaves everything to him. So, Sakurai knows about Layton and Level-5. Whether he still remembers that request or not is unknown currently though. Hopefully he did, but at least he was told about it!
Ah i see. So it was at that talkshow from long ago. That was back at 2009 right? Imagine next year in 2019, Sakurai finally made Hino's request a reality ten years later? That would really be something else!

At least It's good to know that Sakurai is at least aware of the Layton series (Well I guess he should, Level-5 has become a huge company in Japan, probably even moreso than ten years ago, and the Layton series is one of their most iconic franchises) and that even Hino himself wanted Layton in Smash. Here's hoping they managed to work something out for Ulimate's DLC.

You can add me to the supporters' list. I really want to see Professor Layton getting in the game.
Alright, I've added you to the supporters list Klimax, welcome on board!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Alright, so here's a little thing that we can do to pass a bit of time until release.

So if I understood the whole Spirits thing correctly. It's essentially the "souls" of various unplayable characters possessing the bodies of the playable ones (or at least, clones of them) thus making them behave like the spirits that inhabit them.

If Layton where to make it in as DLC, there will probably be additional "spirits" of various other characters from the Layton series such as Luke, Flora, Emmy etc so why not come up with some spirit challenges based off various characters from the Layton series, which characters they'd be inhabiting, how they behave and on what stage they will be fought.

Here's a few I came up with.

Luke (Over :ultlucas: in a blue alt)
Stage: Onett,
Song: A remix of Professor Layton's theme.
Lucas will be teamed up with Duck Hunt and throw various Pokeball's to help him defeat you. He will also continuously use the Rope Snake on you every time you get close to him

Flora (Over :ultdaisy:)
Stage: If St.Mystere is a stage that comes along with Layton, if not then probably Town & City.
Song: A remix of St.Mystere's theme.
She will constantly try to evade you while having two Mega Man's protecting her and attacking you. (Mega Man representing the robot inhabitants of St.Mystere) She might also throw turnips at you if you're far away and use Toad if you're nearby.

Emmy (Over :ultzss: in a yellow/green alt)
Stage: Either St.Mystere or Town & City
Song: Rumble (Song in Last Specter when Emmy was chasing the Black Raven's or fighting those thugs)
She will directly approach you and mainly attacks with kick based attacks and grabs. Also any Assist Trophies she summons will be mainly that Fatal Frame girl due to her camera.

Aurora (Over :ultzelda:)
Stage: Umbra Clock Tower
Song: Airship Chase
Will mainly battle you with magic based attacks, mainly her grabs. Pit and Dark Pit will help her too, representing the Golems from AL, probably mainly shooting arrows at you.

Alternatively, we could also come up with idea's on how Layton's classic mode routes would go. I'll leave that up to you.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Alright, so here's a little thing that we can do to pass a bit of time until release.

So if I understood the whole Spirits thing correctly. It's essentially the "souls" of various unplayable characters possessing the bodies of the playable ones (or at least, clones of them) thus making them behave like the spirits that inhabit them.

If Layton where to make it in as DLC, there will probably be additional "spirits" of various other characters from the Layton series such as Luke, Flora, Emmy etc so why not come up with some spirit challenges based off various characters from the Layton series, which characters they'd be inhabiting, how they behave and on what stage they will be fought.

Lucas will be teamed up with Duck Hunt and throw various Pokeball's to help him defeat you. He will also continuously use the Rope Snake on you every time you get close to him

Stage: If St.Mystere is a stage that comes along with Layton, if not then probably Town & City.
She will constantly try to evade you while having two Mega Man's protecting her and attacking you. (Mega Man representing the robot inhabitants of St.Mystere) She might also throw turnips at you if you're far away and use Toad if you're nearby.

Song: Rumble (Song in Last Specter when Emmy was chasing the Black Raven's or fighting those thugs)
She will directly approach you and mainly attacks with kick based attacks and grabs. Also any Assist Trophies she summons will be mainly that Fatal Frame girl due to her camera.

Will mainly battle you with magic based attacks, mainly her grabs. Pit and Dark Pit will help her too, representing the Golems from AL, probably mainly shooting arrows at you.

Alternatively, we could also come up with idea's on how Layton's classic mode routes would go. I'll leave that up to you.
That Emmy one is brilliant! I love it!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Loving all of these.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Ever since that World of Light trailer dropped, a new Smash fantasy of mine came to fruition:

I imagine Layton getting on his flying contraption from Curious Village the moment the lights were fired. As he starts flying, he sees Kirby on the ground getting ready to go on his Warp Star. Quickly analyzing the incoming threat and realizing he won't escape the lights with his flying contraption but understanding Kirby will be the only one to make it out alive because of the Warp Star, he asks Kirby if he can join Kirby on his Warp Star ride away from the incoming danger. Kirby agrees, and Layton manages to make a badass jump off the flying contraption, then hops onto the Warp Star with Kirby as the two ride away (this happens shortly before the lights arrive). In Kirby's cutscene as he escapes the beams of light, Layton is positioned on the Warp Star like Peach/Zelda were in a similar cutscene from the Subspace Emissary when Kirby and the respective princess escaped the Subspace Bomb, and he is holding onto his hat.

Cue into the following cutscene when Kirby is revealed to survive. Layton is grabbing onto a different part of the Warp Star, and as it gets very close to the ground, Layton jumps off the star before it crashes, though he rolls for a bit. Kirby and Layton are close by each other, and the two look ahead at the world ahead of them. Kirby and Professor Layton were the only survivors!

Layton turns to Kirby and thanks him for letting him ride the Warp Star. After introducing themselves a bit more, the two then agree to work together on solving the mystery, averting the crisis, and saving everyone. Layton comments that the two make a good duo: he is the brains, while Kirby is the brawn!

Later in the story, Descole riding his Mecha Specter from Last Specter appears as one of the bosses in the Adventure Mode! I also imagine him being the Ganondorf of World of Light, that is, the secondary main villain that serves the big-bad. It would be a fitting way to have the whole Layton-Descole rivalry going on here too! Perhaps he could be a villain that you have to fight more than once!

Oooo, I really like this topic!

Those are some great ideas you have there! I particularly like the one with Aurora. Zelda makes a fitting Aurora-like character, the Pits represent the Azran Golems quite nicely, and the stage choice is good too (Umbra Clock Tower's feel is a lot like the Azran Sanctuary in Azran Legacy's climax).

Here's two that I came up with:

Descole (Over :ultmetaknight:)
Stage: New Pork City
Song: Descole's Theme (Live Version)
Here, you initially fight against King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in his white palette swap, and Chrom in his red palette swap for the first part of the fight. It's a basic fight against them with no major gimmicks. After you defeat the three of them, a giant Rob appears, beginning the second part of the fight. This ROB's size is that of a giant character you see in Classic Mode, so it's a pretty big fighter. After you beat the giant Rob, Meta Knight appears (a fitting Descole-like character since he's a masked, caped swordsman just like him), beginning the final part of the fight. He will initially hold onto a Smoke Bomb item, and he will throw it at you when you first get close to him. From there, Meta Knight will fight up-close-and-personal against you. If the character you are using is considered to be a villain (I don't know if the game has a personal checker for that kind of thing though), Meta Knight's attacks deal three times the damage they normally do, and his Smash Attacks deliver more knockback.

^This Spirits fight is teeming with Layton references from the prequel trilogy, particularly in regards to Descole. I won't go into them right now, but I think I'll let you all try to figure it out on your own. Think of this as a puzzle!;)

To break down all the references to figure out:
  • What are King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in that specific palette swap, and Chrom in that specific palette swap for the first part of the fight referencing (hint coin: they each reference specific characters)?
  • What is the giant ROB a reference to (hint coin: it references two things)?
  • Why does Meta Knight hold onto a Smoke Bomb at the start of the fight?
  • Why do Meta Knight's attacks deal more damage and knockback against the "villain" characters?
  • What locations from the Layton series is New Pork City referencing to?
I'll elaborate on the answers once enough time has passed and/or some have made their guesses!

Bronev (Over :ultwolf:)
Stage: Fourside
Song: Targent's Theme
The fight take place on Fourside since the center building resembles the tallest building in the Nest, Targent's main headquarters. Your character is positioned in one of the lower buildings, and there are three Snakes you have to fight. The Snakes are a reference to the Targent officers: they fight like military officials, and considering that Snake is a military operative himself, he'd make a fitting choice to represent them. Wolf stands on the tallest building in Fourside. He makes a fitting Bronev with his eye patch giving a similar impression to Bronev's shades, and he fights with a mix of weapons and brawling like Bronev does (not to mention the two give off a similar gruff and menacing head honcho vibe). Wolf standing at the highest point in Fourside is a reference to how Bronev's office is located in the highest point in the Nest. Wolf does nothing for most of the fight, but if you get close to him, he will start attacking you. He will stop when you get away from him, but if you defeat all of the Snakes before defeating Wolf, Wolf will then take initiative and fight you one-on-one.

I'lll add a few more if something comes to my mind.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Ever since that World of Light trailer dropped, a new Smash fantasy of mine came to fruition:

I imagine Layton getting on his flying contraption from Curious Village the moment the lights were fired. As he starts flying, he sees Kirby on the ground getting ready to go on his Warp Star. Quickly analyzing the incoming threat and realizing he won't escape the lights with his flying contraption but understanding Kirby will be the only one to make it out alive because of the Warp Star, he asks Kirby if he can join Kirby on his Warp Star ride away from the incoming danger. Kirby agrees, and Layton manages to make a badass jump off the flying contraption, then hops onto the Warp Star with Kirby as the two ride away (this happens shortly before the lights arrive). In Kirby's cutscene as he escapes the beams of light, Layton is positioned on the Warp Star like Peach/Zelda were in a similar cutscene from the Subspace Emissary when Kirby and the respective princess escaped the Subspace Bomb, and he is holding onto his hat.

Cue into the following cutscene when Kirby is revealed to survive. Layton is grabbing onto a different part of the Warp Star, and as it gets very close to the ground, Layton jumps off the star before it crashes, though he rolls for a bit. Kirby and Layton are close by each other, and the two look ahead at the world ahead of them. Kirby and Professor Layton were the only survivors!

Layton turns to Kirby and thanks him for letting him ride the Warp Star. After introducing themselves a bit more, the two then agree to work together on solving the mystery, averting the crisis, and saving everyone. Layton comments that the two make a good duo: he is the brains, while Kirby is the brawn!

Later in the story, Descole riding his Mecha Specter from Last Specter appears as one of the bosses in Adventure Mode! I also imagine him being the Ganondorf of World of Light, that is, the secondary main villain that serves the big-bad. It would be a fitting way to have the whole Layton-Descole rivalry going on here too! Perhaps he could be a villain that you have to fight more than once too!

Oooo, I really like this topic!

Those are some great ideas you have there! I particularly like the one with Aurora. Zelda makes a fitting Aurora-like character, the Pits represent the Azran Golems quite nicely, and the stage choice is good too (Umbra Clock Tower's feel is a lot like the Azran Sanctuary in Azran Legacy's climax).

Here's two that I came up with:

Descole (Over :ultmetaknight:)
Stage: New Pork City
Song: Descole's Theme (Live Version)
Here, you initially fight against King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in his white palette swap, and Chrom in his red palette swap for the first part of the fight. It's a basic fight against them with no major gimmicks. After you defeat the three of them, a giant Rob appears, beginning the second part of the fight. This ROB's size is that of a giant character you see in Classic Mode, so it's a pretty big fighter. After you beat the giant Rob, Meta Knight appears (a fitting Descole-like character since he's a masked, caped swordsman just like him), beginning the final part of the fight. He will initially hold onto a Smoke Bomb item, and he will throw it at you when you first get close to him. From there, Meta Knight will fight up-close-and-personal against you. If the character you are using is considered to be a villain (I don't know if the game has a personal checker for that kind of thing though), Meta Knight's attacks deal three times the damage they normally do, and his Smash Attacks deliver more knockback.

^This Spirits fight is teeming with Layton references from the prequel trilogy, particularly in regards to Descole. I won't go into them right now, but I think I'll let you all try to figure it out on your own. Think of this as a puzzle!;)

To break down all the references to figure out:
  • What are King K. Rool, Captain Falcon in that specific palette swap, and Chrom in that specific palette swap for the first part of the fight referencing (hint coin: they each reference specific characters)?
  • What is the giant ROB a reference to (hint coin: it references two things)?
  • Why does Meta Knight hold onto a Smoke Bomb at the start of the fight?
  • Why do Meta Knight's attacks deal more damage and knockback against the "villain" characters?
  • What locations from the Layton series is New Pork City referencing to?
I'll elaborate on the answers once enough time has passed and/or some have made their guesses!

Bronev (Over :ultwolf:)
Stage: Fourside
Song: Targent's Theme
The fight take place on Fourside since the center building resembles the tallest building in the Nest, Targent's main headquarters. Your character is positioned in one of the lower buildings, and there are three Snakes you have to fight. The Snakes are a reference to the Targent officers: they fight like military officials, and considering that Snake is a military operative himself, he'd make a fitting choice to represent to represent them. Wolf stands on the tallest building in Fourside. He makes a fitting Bronev with his eye patch giving a similar impression to Bronev's shades, and he fights with a mix of weapons and brawling like Bronev does (not to mention the two give off a similar gruff and menacing head honcho vibe). Wolf standing at the highest point in Fourside is a reference to how Bronev's office is located in the highest point in the Nest. Wolf does nothing for most of the fight, but if you get close to him, he will start attacking you. He will stop when you get away from him, but if you defeat all of the Snakes before defeating Wolf, Wolf will then take initiative and fight you one-on-one.

I'lll add a few more if something comes to my mind.
You should consider writing fanfiction.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
You should consider writing fanfiction.
Yeah, I thought about doing some fan fiction stuff (mainly just writing some fanmade Fire Emblem support conversations featuring characters from other franchises meeting FE characters), but I haven't had the time to really sit down and plan these things out since it is a rather big commitment for me. Perhaps if I can find the free time to do them, I can finish them.

I also thought about writing some Layton codecs featuring Layton, another Layton character, and whatever Smash character is being fought in the match, but that's another thing I'd need to plan out when I have more time.

GreenSpirit

Smash Rookie
So Sakurai just announced on Twitter that Nintendo actually picked the potential characters while he saw if he could make them work.
Do you think that this will affect our dear Professor's chances in anyway ?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So Sakurai just announced on Twitter that Nintendo actually picked the potential characters while he saw if he could make them work.
Do you think that this will affect our dear Professor's chances in anyway ?
I would think that it makes Jibanyan's chances higher, but honestly? No clue. Layton has also been pushed by the big N so...

Top Bottom