• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Heey we finally reached 100 pages and before the end of the year too!

I never expected the thread to last this long, what with the ups and downs we've had along the way, but I'm happy we managed to reach this milestone!

Ultimate's DLC has been filled with lots of unexpected surprises, so lets keep on trucking along and see what might happen along the way.

Hopefully we'll at least see some acknowledgement from Level-5 sooner or later, hang in there for just a little longer Laytonites!

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Sorry I haven't been as active here fellow Layton fans, been preoccupied with school and work, anyway happy 100 pages!
9369.png

In other news I'm replaying Curious Village on mobile, and I gotta say.... have I gotten dumber? I don't remember having this much trouble with with the liquid pouring puzzles lol.

Also someone else in a discord server i'm in is playing it for the first time, it's quite amusing watching them getting bamboozled by puzzles.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, after Sephiroth's inclusion, I kinda wouldn't mind seeing Descole as a potential second Layton character sometime down the line (After we finally manage to get Layton himself in there of course)

He'd probably have a similar gimmick where he starts out wearing his cape, but then later removes it and becomes quicker after a certain point in battle.
Would be pretty neat to see someday...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You know, after Sephiroth's inclusion, I kinda wouldn't mind seeing Descole as a potential second Layton character sometime down the line (After we finally manage to get Layton himself in there of course)

He'd probably have a similar gimmick where he starts out wearing his cape, but then later removes it and becomes quicker after a certain point in battle.
that does sound kinda cool.

amageish

Smash Master

I think Emmy would be my choice for a second rep (maybe I just generally want kickboxers as second reps for things? Huh...), but also that could be awesome...

Not that I think we're getting a first rep at this point... It's probably a bad sign I have seen multiple people use Layton as an example of a character who everyone should just give up on due to timing.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not that I think we're getting a first rep at this point... It's probably a bad sign I have seen multiple people use Layton as an example of a character who everyone should just give up on due to timing.
its more of a sign of what other people are like

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Emmy would be my choice for a second rep (maybe I just generally want kickboxers as second reps for things? Huh...), but also that could be awesome...

I don't know why, but Sephiroth and Tifa just reminded me of Descole and Emmy for some reason, hence why I brought him up.

Eh I feel like he still has at least somewhat of a shot. He's just not a character that is being heavily rumoured like a lot of other characters are, nor his own company and the shenanigans they've been up to lately, really... Which is probably why a lot of people have little faith for the character unfortunately..

Plus he's also a bit overshadowed by a few other characters. Its probably going to be a matter if they decide to pull another Atlus or SNK sometime down the road I suppose...

But as Matt said, I'll even take a Mii costume at this point, so long as he or his company gets acknowledged and it doesn't feel like we've just been talking to a brick wall this whole time by the time everything is all said and done...

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don't know why, but Sephiroth and Tifa just reminded me of Descole and Emmy for some reason, hence why I brought him up.

Eh I feel like he still has at least somewhat of a shot. He's just not a character that is being heavily rumoured like a lot of other characters are, nor his own company and the shenanigans they've been up to lately, really... Which is probably why a lot of people have little faith for the character unfortunately..

Plus he's also a bit overshadowed by a few other characters. Its probably going to be a matter if they decide to pull another Atlus or SNK sometime down the road I suppose...

But as Matt said, I'll even take a Mii costume at this point, so long as he or his company gets acknowledged and it doesn't feel like we've just been talking to a wall this whole time by the time everything is all said and done...
If we get Phoenix Wright as a playable character, I'd be shocked if Layton wasn't apart of his wave

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If we get Phoenix Wright as a playable character, I'd be shocked if Layton wasn't apart of his wave
Well I might not go that far, but I can imagine Capcom at least giving Sakurai or Nintendo a small nudge towards L5 if they where to approach them for Phoenix.
At least if Hino's interview of him having close ties thanks to the crossover is anything to go by...

As for potential Mii costumes, yeah I can see that, assuming it isn't fully focused on Capcom properties..

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hmm...how many stage cameos would you expect to see in Layton's stage?
It depends on what the stage is, but I'd have high expectations for cameos. KoF Stadium proves they don't care about timelines so I think the main characters for all six Layton games, and maybe even Alfendi and Kat (probably not their casts as well, that would be overkill).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd hope we'd at least see the core cast from the first two trilogies make a cameo appearance (Flora, Emmy, Chelmey, Barton, Grosky, Don Paolo and Descole) Which, asides from Flora and Don Paolo (and maybe Chelmey & Barton) needing new 3D models, should be fairly doable to just port over most of their models.

Then it depends what they'd do with Luke and wether or not he'd be involved with Layton outside of his Final Smash in some way.

And then as GoodGrief said, Kat and Alfendi, if they can squeeze a bit more then perhaps some of the core characters from their games like Sherl, Ernest and Lucy as well.

Which puts it to about 12 or so give or take, which seems to be pretty reasonable amount I think.

If they want, they can maybe also throw is some other popular and/or recurring characters like Anton, Future Luke and Aurora, Stachen and Granny Riddleton if they want. Sakurai isn't overly picky about timelines so I think its fine to have all these characters together.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Really depends on where it is, but I generally agree that Luke/Emmy + Police + Villains are the more obligatory ones. My opinion would just kind of very depending on how unique the stage is in other ways? If, like, it's Monte d'Or and the Masked Gentleman keeps showing up and doing mischevous things to alter the layout, then it could be fancy enough to not need cameos. Or, heck, they could go crazy and have a WarioWare-style gimmick with the puzzles themselves interrupting the battles.

We've definitely had a lot of "Basic stage with references going on in the background" lately though and if they took that approach with Layton... I'd hope they'd go all out.

I also do still like the idea of Espella cameoing on both a Layton and an Ace Attorney stage, if we were somehow lucky enough to have both.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As it stands right now, I don't think they got much budget or time to go higher than basic stages. The craziest stage we've had in recent years that I can think of was Mementos, and that was at the start of the DLC run.

If Layton is to get anything fancy it would have to be in Smash 6...if Level-5 is still around by then.

At the very least, it would be nice if L5's games got spirits so that we know they have actual involvement with Smash. :chrono:

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
As it stands right now, I don't think they got much budget or time to go higher than basic stages. The craziest stage we've had in recent years that I can think of was Mementos, and that was at the start of the DLC run.

If Layton is to get anything fancy it would have to be in Smash 6...if Level-5 is still around by then.

At the very least, it would be nice if L5's games got spirits so that we know they have actual involvement with Smash. :chrono:
Honestly, I don't know if it's a matter of having the budget/time or where they put it? As I can't imagine it'd be that much more expensive to have a gimmicky stage with a plain-ish background, assuming you didn't have to make models for the cameos or, like, produce the full movie summary of the ending of FF7 that they just did.

But, yeah, at this stage I'm mostly hoping (i) Level-5 doesn't literally die and (ii) they get something in Smash... Still would be super down for a Mii Swordfighter.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The DLC stages seem to be generally fairly basic all things considered. I think the most gimmicky one is probably Banjo's stage if I recall correctly, with the spinning stage but even then it generally passes around different layouts from time to time.

I'd imagine if they wanted to make, say, St. Mystere Layton's stage and wanted to go the Delfino Plaza route or something similar, that might take a bit more development time than the DLC time and budged may or may not allow. Which may have them opt for something else or maybe a different stage like the Molentary Express or Gressenheller University. Then again, they tinkered with every stage in the game just to accommodate Steve and they gave themselves a larger dev deadline so what do I know...

But yeah, if we where to want anything more significant, then we might have to wait for the base game of the next Smash. Lets just hope Level-5 survives long enough to see that next time, I suppose...

veeflames

Smash Rookie
Haha, I've been super busy over the past few months so I have been clearly absent from this thread, but it looks like I came back just in time to see that we just clocked 100 pages. And I was just thinking about how big the Smash Bros. Layton fan community is, too. Nice to see that I've kind of found my answer to that question with 100 pages worth of discussions, hypes, ups-and-downs, and just pure, Layton-worthy chill. Huge thanks to everyone in this thread, of course.

Now time to backtrack and read the discussions that I missed.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
New interview from Hino

Holy cow, Yo-Kai Watch is catching up with Layton, its only behind it by a million now, with the former at 16 and the latter at 17.

Considering how highly Hino seems to talk of these two franchises in particular, hopefully we'll be seeing more of them next year, especially Layton.
If anything, hopefully they will at least announce the next game and have it ready for the year after for the series 15th anniversary...

Also, Hino talks quite a bit about Dragon Quest VIII too, makes me a bit sad they weren't acknowledged at all for :ulthero2: inclusion in Ultimate...
He must've been pretty happy when he saw him as one of Hero's alts.

That aside, you think we will be seeing Last Specter HD sometime next year?
And do you think it will include London Life? (Especially for all regions this time...)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Also, Hino talks quite a bit about Dragon Quest VIII too, makes me a bit sad they weren't acknowledged at all for :ulthero2: inclusion in Ultimate...
I don't think they were acknowledged by Dragon Quest Heroes' copyrights, either (since characters from DQ VIII show up in that game too). DQVIII stuff seems to be owned lock, stock and barrel by Square-Enix.

MattX20

Smash Hero
New interview from Hino

Holy cow, Yo-Kai Watch is catching up with Layton, its only behind it by a million now, with the former at 16 and the latter at 17.

Considering how highly Hino seems to talk of these two franchises in particular, hopefully we'll be seeing more of them next year, especially Layton.
If anything, hopefully they will at least announce the next game and have it ready for the year after for the series 15th anniversary...

And do you think it will include London Life? (Especially for all regions this time...)
Well, it's good news that they're starting to recover?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think they were acknowledged by Dragon Quest Heroes' copyrights, either (since characters from DQ VIII show up in that game too). DQVIII stuff seems to be owned lock, stock and barrel by Square-Enix.
I mean, yeah in terms of copyright they wouldn't, its the same case with Diddy Kong and K.Rool with Rare.
But hey, would have been neat if either Sakurai/ Hino/ Square gave a casual small shoutout though...

Its just kinda odd none of the parties really acknowledged each other much when it came to :ulthero2: I suppose...
Especially since its confirmed now that Hino was very fond of the game and kinda where he and his company got their beginnings.
Well, it's good news that they're starting to recover?
Yeah they seem to be doing alright, at least from the outside looking in, hopefully they will be able to get things back on track though.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
New interview from Hino

Maybe 2021 will be a.good year for them

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
New interview from Hino

I hope it includes London Life because I adored that mode!

Top Bottom