• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Professor Layton for Smash Ultimate support thread! See OP for where to meet us next after the boards close. Thank you for all your support!

amageish

Smash Master
So here’s a really random question I’ve decided to ask: what’s the oddest piece of Layton merch you have?

for me it’s my hint coin keyring
The World of Professor Layton is probably my "oddest" thing and that's just an artbook... Otherwise it's just 6 games physically, two digitally, and a DvD of Eternal Diva...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I want the revoltech Layton because them I could recreate Shotgun Layton
View attachment 293510
that would be pretty odd

The World of Professor Layton is probably my "oddest" thing and that's just an artbook... Otherwise it's just 6 games physically, two digitally, and a DvD of Eternal Diva...
ooh an art book

We're only 36 posts away from page 100. Can we reach it by year's end?
im working on it

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah same here pretty much.

Though I am interested in getting the Professor Layton secret book at some point since it contains some additional concept art for the original trilogy and all...

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah same here pretty much.

Though I am interested in getting the Professor Layton secret book at some point since it contains some additional concept art for the original trilogy and all...
I've considered both that and the Professor Layton manga/graphic-novels... but import fees for products I cannot read myself make them a harder sell...

quietly hides my Fire Emblem Cipher card collection under my bed

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've considered both that and the Professor Layton manga/graphic-novels... but import fees for products I cannot read myself make them a harder sell...

quietly hides my Fire Emblem Cipher card collection under my bed
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised there is still no full fan translation of the Layton manga's online, well, apart from that one Tumblr user that used to translate them for a while but then kind of left them on the wayside afterwards...

Pretty unfortunate but still, would be neat to see some of the unreleased artworks though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised there is still no full fan translation of the Layton manga's online, well, apart from that one Tumblr user that used to translate them for a while but then kind of left them on the wayside afterwards...

Pretty unfortunate but still, would be neat to see some of the unreleased artworks though.
the internet is full of so many unfinished projects

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I guess we are seeing the next fighter revealed at the Game Awards after all.

Even though I highly doubt we'd see Layton revealed there (Then again, according to some insiders, they where apparently planning to reveal Byleth aka, an 8th Fire Emblem character, of all things in the last awards so its anyone's guess I suppose...)

Its nice to see a good number of people rooting for him over at Twitter though.

Still not really going to watch it, but I'll see whatever happens afterwards,

That being said, if something exiting does get revealed there, please do let me know.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well I guess we are seeing the next fighter revealed at the Game Awards after all.

Even though I highly doubt we'd see Layton revealed there (Then again, according to some insiders, they where apparently planning to reveal Byleth aka, an 8th Fire Emblem character, of all things in the last awards so its anyone's guess I suppose...)

Its nice to see a good number of people rooting for him over at Twitter though.

Still not really going to watch it, but I'll see whatever happens afterwards,

That being said, if something exiting does get revealed there, please do let me know.
Will keep my eyes open. And even if Layton doesn't show up, there are still 3 more left to go

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Posting this on behalf of BluePikmin11.

“Hi Layton supporters,

It’s been a while, BluePikmin11 here. I’m doing fine this year. I’m still pursuing my career of being a mangaka, and that’s been going well. In the meantime, I wanna talk about Smash Ultimate.

Sadly, Layton hasn’t been revealed yet for me to reappear again in Smashboards, so I don’t think he’ll be in FP2 now. It’s looking like Ryu, Crash, and a Nihon Falcom character will be occupying the last spots after Sephiroth. I say Ryu Hayabusa cause of Vergeben. Crash because of Activision’s leaked plans for the franchise. And Nihon Falcom because of a recent 4chan leak getting notable things like localization rumors right. The close friends I have who are speculators see the Falcom 4chan leak as somewhat credible. All three seem to have the planets aligning them for FP2.

So yeah, possibly no space for Layton in FP2. But, a Nihon Falcom character does give me hope for Level-5 to eventually and finally get their own character in a third fighters pass (I’m very sure that will happen). What a Falcom character tells me, is that Nintendo is still interested in prioritizing and negotiating characters from Japanese third party game companies for their DLC passes, even smaller companies like SNK, Atlus, and possibly Nihon Falcom.

I’m going to be real here, it’ll be incredibly baffling if Nintendo considered SNK, Falcom, and Atlus, but didn’t at least have a Level-5 character in their DLC consideration list.

Despite their NA branch shutting down, Level-5 is still a huge Japanese game company, and they have been close with Nintendo for a long time, just as close as Koei Tecmo. L5 still supports the Switch platform notably with titles like Lady Layton, YW4, Snack World, Inazuma, and Megaton Musashi. With that kind of close relationship still running, I’m quite certain that Nintendo would have shown high enough interest in the company to put a character like Layton into serious consideration. I’m very VERY certain of that.

To me now, a Level-5 character is not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. It might take a while to get to a L5 character reveal, but keep your chins up. Don’t throw away your hopes because of the bad news surrounding L5. Keep going. Keep supporting Layton to the end.”

Layton has grown on me personally, so y'all have my blessing. Good luck.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Posting this on behalf of BluePikmin11.

“Hi Layton supporters,

It’s been a while, BluePikmin11 here. I’m doing fine this year. I’m still pursuing my career of being a mangaka, and that’s been going well. In the meantime, I wanna talk about Smash Ultimate.

Sadly, Layton hasn’t been revealed yet for me to reappear again in Smashboards, so I don’t think he’ll be in FP2 now. It’s looking like Ryu, Crash, and a Nihon Falcom character will be occupying the last spots after Sephiroth. I say Ryu Hayabusa cause of Vergeben. Crash because of Activision’s leaked plans for the franchise. And Nihon Falcom because of a recent 4chan leak getting notable things like localization rumors right. The close friends I have who are speculators see the Falcom 4chan leak as somewhat credible. All three seem to have the planets aligning them for FP2.

So yeah, possibly no space for Layton in FP2. But, a Nihon Falcom character does give me hope for Level-5 to eventually and finally get their own character in a third fighters pass (I’m very sure that will happen). What a Falcom character tells me, is that Nintendo is still interested in prioritizing and negotiating characters from Japanese third party game companies for their DLC passes, even smaller companies like SNK, Atlus, and possibly Nihon Falcom.

I’m going to be real here, it’ll be incredibly baffling if Nintendo considered SNK, Falcom, and Atlus, but didn’t at least have a Level-5 character in their DLC consideration list.

Despite their NA branch shutting down, Level-5 is still a huge Japanese game company, and they have been close with Nintendo for a long time, just as close as Koei Tecmo. L5 still supports the Switch platform notably with titles like Lady Layton, YW4, Snack World, Inazuma, and Megaton Musashi. With that kind of close relationship still running, I’m quite certain that Nintendo would have shown high enough interest in the company to put a character like Layton into serious consideration. I’m very VERY certain of that.

To me now, a Level-5 character is not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when. It might take a while to get to a L5 character reveal, but keep your chins up. Don’t throw away your hopes because of the bad news surrounding L5. Keep going. Keep supporting Layton to the end.”

Layton has grown on me personally, so y'all have my blessing. Good luck.
Oh, its nice to hear from our old pal Blue again, I hope everything goes well for him.

I can understand Ryu and, maybe Crash. but what does he mean with the Nihon Falcom rumour?

Eitherway, I wouldn't put too much stock into 4chan rumours as they tend to be misses more than hits often enough, even if they happen to get a few things right. For example, the whole Sword and Shield rumours that got a lot right and predicted "Armoured evolutions" or something along those lines but the main gimmick ended up being something entirely different.

Sometimes they also like to spread in fake info among the real ones just to get themselves off the trail from companies, from what I've heard, Smash is a pretty popular subject to place into those kind of rumours as well.

So basically, take them with a huge grain of salt...

That being said, we'll probably just have to keep on hoping for the best until the end of the pass, after all, we just got a surprise today with Sephiroth, who, other than that one Vergeben Square leakbait list, and that Sakurai/Nintendo DLC fighter list that didn't include Min Min, was pretty much rumour free (as far as I'm aware) so who knows what additional surprises the rest of the pass has in store for us...

So hang in there Layton buds!

And like Blue said, even if the rumours are true and Koei Tecmo and Falcom get a spot, well then I guess there is always the next Smash or a hypothetical surprise third pass reveal, and with them supposedly pursuing more Japanese companies as time goes on, Nintendo and Sakurai can't keep avoiding Level-5 forever (Unless the company literally goes defunct by then, which, lets hope we don't get to that point....)

So yeah, hope for the best...

By the way, thanks for relaying Blue's message TCT.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's not over until it's over as they say. Unlike Geno fans and speaking as one, you guys haven't gotten anything to indicate as a potential scenario that Layton's out just yet.
im inherently pessimistic thats all the indication i nedd

amageish

Smash Master
At this point, my opinion is really just "Idk; we'll see what their priorities are." Maybe they're collecting big characters! Maybe they're trying to fill out what Nintendo sees as holes in the base game! Maybe they are just picking 6 characters on their own merit with no consistent ideology behind them. Who knows and I wouldn't stress too much about it...

Layton's positives and negatives are the same as they've always been. Only real problem is Level-5's metaphorical flames, but those have been burning strongly for a while now...

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, my opinion is really just "Idk; we'll see what their priorities are." Maybe they're collecting big characters! Maybe they're trying to fill out what Nintendo sees as holes in the base game! Maybe they are just picking 6 characters on their own merit with no consistent ideology behind them. Who knows and I wouldn't stress too much about it...

Layton's positives and negatives are the same as they've always been. Only real problem is Level-5's metaphorical flames, but those have been burning strongly for a while now...
As another person in a thread I often frequent has probably said the best, the theme for this pass is just "**** the Rules©."

amageish

Smash Master
As another person in a thread I often frequent has probably said the best, the theme for this pass is just "**** the Rules©."
Personally, I'm definitely... surprised and not surprised? I don't know. Everything has felt very "Huh, they're actually doing that" to me rather then "THIS SEEMED IMPOSSIBLE UNTIL NOW" to me, at least... I definitely have no real predictions for the future though.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Personally, I'm definitely... surprised and not surprised? I don't know. Everything has felt very "Huh, they're actually doing that" to me rather then "THIS SEEMED IMPOSSIBLE UNTIL NOW" to me, at least... I definitely have no real predictions for the future though.
And keep in mind, we only just got halfway through. There are still 3 more fighters left to go

Top Bottom