• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LAST Smash: 9/22/07 Baton Rouge, LA- Southern Smash Circuit!

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Well, as we all know, Brawl will be coming out soon, and Melee tournaments will become less and less common. With that said, I present LAST Smash (Laser Tag Smash), a tribute to Melee's greatness as a competitive fighting game, even after 6 years:

LAST Smash Tournament - Laser Tag Smash Tournament

A Southern Smash Circuit Tournament!
--------------------------------------------------

The When:

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Laser Tag opens at 11:00 AM on Saturdays, and sign-ups will start once the stations are setup.

Singles will start at 1:00 PM and teams will follow.

The Where:

Laser Tag of Baton Rouge
5871 S. Sherwood Forest Blvd.,
Baton Rouge, LA 70816

Laser Tag's Contact Info

Divisions:

There will be a Singles and a Team division.

The singles division will have a $10 entry fee per person, and teams will
have a $10 entry fee per team. Singles will be played before teams.

Money Stuff:

Again, entries are $10 per person in Singles, and $10 per pair in Teams.

All of the entry fees from a division will be split among the winners 60/30/10. The entirety of entry fees is going into prizes.

Food:

Laser Tag has its own concessions, and they're reasonably priced with a few items being quite good. If you must grab fast food, then do not bring it in because outside food and drink are not allowed in the building. If we respect this rule, then there will most likely be future tournaments here.

Format:

The tournament will start off with a pooled round robin to determine seeding/ who advances into the top 32. The top 32 will then be placed in a double elimination bracket. I will form pools based primarily on the location of the entrants. The number of pools will depend on the number of entrants, but I plan for the top 3 or 4 players in a pool to advance. I plan on both singles and teams to follow this format. However, due to turnout or time issues, teams might go straight to brackets.

Matches:

All matches will be the best 2/3 games with the exception that the finals will be the best 3/5 games. The first stage in a match is Random or both players may agree on a stage. Any player may call for a double blind character pick for the first game in a match. Following that, there will be advanced slob picks. Basically, the loser of the first game picks the stage, then the winner picks his character, and then the loser picks his character. At the beginning of the match, a player may ban any one stage for the duration of the match.

All matches are played with 4 stock, items off, and an 8 minute time limit.

If time runs out, then winner is determined by most stock then least damage. For team matches it will be determined by the most combined stock and then the least combined damage of teammates. In the event of a tie, the game's sudden death mode will be played to determine the winner.

A note on glitches and stalling:

If it doesn't freeze the game or otherwise stop gameplay by either player, then any technique may be used in this tournament. It is possible to use some techniques to stall a match indefinitely or for extended periods of time. This is not allowed. Using such techniques to recover or get a KO is perfectly fine though.

*EDIT*
I'm sorry that I was unclear about these. If a glitch keeps the game from being played by either player for the duration of the match after it's performed (like the Ice Climber's freeze glitch), then it's not allowed. Wobbling will be allowed. Something like the yo-yo glitch is also allowed. I hope this clears things up. If anyone has any more concerns about this, let me know. Thanks!
*EDIT*

Singles Stages:

Random:

FD, Battlefield, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi Story, Dreamland, and Poke Stadium

Singles Counterpicks:

All Random stages, Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Kongo Jungle 64, Mute City, Brinstar, Green Greens, and Corneria

Any stage not listed is banned.

Team Stages:

Random: FD, Battle Field, Yoshi Story, Dreamland, Poke Stadium, Kongo Jungle 64

Counterpicks:

All Random stages, Pokefloats, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Green Greens, and Corneria

Any stage that isn't listed is banned.

General Tournament Stuff:

I need setups! I'm aiming for at least 8 setups and as many as 10 in all. The more we have, the more friendlies people can play during the tournament. There will probably be some people new to Smash tournaments, so extra controllers that can remain at a station for the duration of the tournament will be appreciated.

If you can provide something, tell me and I'll list it here:

TVs (8-10 ideal)-
fakegeorge: 19"; 27"
?MacKendra: 32"
Taylor: 19"(or was it 27"?)
Phil: 19"
Gary: 19"; 27"

Gamecube/ Wii (8-10)-
fakegeorge: 2
?Sinisa: 1
?MacKendra:1
Taylor: 1
Gary: 1
ihavespaceballs: 2
Sirska: 1

Copy of Smash (8-10)-
?Sinisa: 1
?MacKendra:1
Gary: 1
ihavespaceballs: 2
Sirska: 1

Power Strip (4-5)-

Extension Cord -

Camera: Taylor

VCR (on for each setup, ideally)-
fakegeorge: 1

Tapes (2 per VCR)-
fakegeorge: 1-3

Extra Controllers:
?MacKendra: 6
Sudai: 1

I'm putting a "?" for people who have volunteered something, but aren't sure about attendance yet.

Either reply in the tournament thread or PM me. Anything and everything a person brings should have some clear indication of ownership. Now, I will be able to record matches, but I have no kind of capture card to go from VCR to PC. That said, I can play back matches on my TV and record with my camera, but the quality will be low and the filesize will be huge (I don't have a good program to convert videos to a smaller format than the camera's default.) OR someone who likes doing this kind of thing can take the tapes and get them online.

I will designate which TVs can be used for friendlies/ MMs as the tournament progresses.

I don't think it would be an issue, but the only modded controllers allowed are ones cosmetically modded. Also, the use of any kind of turbo button or extra built in function is not allowed.

Laser Tag is a family establishment, so keep foul language and obscene gestures to a minimum. In other words, don't yell anything foul, and you should be fine.

I am open to any ideas, suggestions, or comments as I want this to be the best tournament that it can be.

Finally, as the tournament organizer, any rule can be removed, added, or modified at any time as I see fit. If any matches in a round are affected by a removal, addition, or modification, then the matches will be replayed.

OOS:

-Chad-
ihavespaceballs
Iori
ragnarock
RAM
Rook
Rice
Drumma Boi
Boomstick
Shai Hulud
NES Noob
3GOD
*Handorin
*MacKendra

From LA:

Cyphus
Lee
Taylor
EET
Setsuma
Entreri
Sirska
Mocha19
fakegeorge
Bermuda
Flarefox
Ever Power
usea

I know more LA people are going to come, but I don't know who exactly. Maybe these people can enlighten me.

This covers all of the major stuff, I believe. I'm sure I'll think of a half a dozen little pieces to add here and there in the coming weeks.

Anyways, if you are coming, I'd love to hear about it!

Randall

D

Deleted member

too easy to get the first post.

randall this is too pro. how are u pulling off no money being taken out of the pot? is laser tag hooking you up or something?

i'm also going to check if you linked this to the tournament discussion board. if not im going to do so. maybe we can get some oos ppl

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
It's simple, the easiest way to eat or drink something is to go downstairs and buy food from Laser Tag. I mean, you can buy a drink and plastic cup for about $2 and then refill it for only $0.55. After a few sodas, you're coming out ahead. Also, I don't think there's anything above $3 on the menu, except Dippin' Dots. Plus, everything is good, so it's not like you're paying for crappy food. Also, the "No outside food or drinks" rule will be enforced.

And Taylor, my name is spelled with two L's, haha.

D

Deleted member

man you replied fast. i had check a post vaughn has made saying your name and i edited it right after but you beat me to it. and this is going it.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I don't seriously that people will drop Melee, there are too many people who came too far in that game to just DROP IT. I must and will disagree with you on that. MvC2 is still a very popular game and constantly have tourneys same with X-men V.s Streetfighter(the first in the series still have tourneys) so just because Brawl is coming out dosen't mean poeple wil drop it. I know when I get Brawl I'm still going practice in Melee like I just got the game.

RoK the Reaper

Smash Lord
Wtf

I agree with RagnaRock here, even though I am RAGNAROK. Anyways, Thats fine, but I don't think you'll get a lot of people for the sole reason that you allowed "All glitches", Mewtwo's soul stunner glitch, Wobbling, And the iceclimbers freeze glitch >=[

D

Deleted member

i dont think things like soul stunner and ic freeze glitch will be allowed. it was stated kind of confusingly though.

MacKendra

Smash Rookie
thanks for letting the alabamians know. i like the setup. if i can make it, i've got a 32" tv, a cube, a copy of smash, and like 6 controllers. i can't guarantee they all work really well:chuckle:

but yeah. it sounds cool.

D

Deleted member

if some OOS people comit i think it could be on the circuit. all the best of la will probably be there. i havent talked to cyphus and lee yet but since we have a good advance on it, im sure they'll make it.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
ragnarock: Iagree with you; I'm sure people will keep playing Melee long after Brawl comes out. However, unless something is really screwed up with Brawl, then Melee tournaments will probably become less common as time progresses. If it really bothers you, then think of it as a mere gimmick for the tournament. If this really was the last Melee tournament in Louisiana, then I'd be sad. Then again, we don't hold that many tournaments, haha.

About glitches. I'm sorry that I was unclear about these. If a glitch keeps the game from being played by either player for the duration of the match after it's performed (like the Ice Climber's freeze glitch), then it's not allowed. Wobbling will be allowed. Something like the yo-yo glitch is also allowed. I hope this clears things up.

It'd be awesome to put this on the Southern Circuit, but I honestly have no clue about how to do that right now. I'll look it up in the next few days and see what I can do.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Contact Prince Zane. He's pretty much the guy in charge of it.

You can find the thread for it as a sticky at the very top of the Atlantic South forums.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
w00t looks awesome....our neighboring states better show up. This is gonna be awesome.

Assuming it starts @ 1, like it should, that leaves us 11 hours of gameplay!!!!!!!!!!!!
and if people want a place to crash the night, (travelers) i'm positive we will have a place for you!
TX, AL, MS, FL, etc....make it, n00bs.

D

Deleted member

i sent zane a message about it. if he pm's me back i'll let yall know what he says, but he may just post it on here or change his circuit thread to talk about it. or we may just get turned down, who knows!

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
if all the best people go, i might go cuz ive never really been to that big of a tourny. Baton rouge is like the capital of LA so it would makes sense to have a statewide tourney there and maybe that will atract some oos

if i go this tourny better be incredibly awsome and not just like 2 people

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll have an awesome turnout. See, LAST Smash is now part of the Southern Smash Circuit!!

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
any Out of Staters considering, just know this will obviously have all of LA's bests there: Lee, Cyphus, Taylor, John, etc...as well as a ton of other good players.

w/ a 10 buck entrance fee, and nothing coming out of the pot...this looks to be a mighty sexy cash prize distribution.
i'm sure well get at least 30 Louisianians to show, so thats 300 bucks right there.

eet

Smash Ace
yeah ill be there for sure...hey taylor you should copy and paste randalls first post to the smash truonament thread you made, as well as linking it...i think it jus looks better but its whateva.

im awesome. and cyphus.

SetsumA

Smash Apprentice
YEAHH ***** LOLZ!!!!!

ill be there, also, alot of people from neighboring states should rly try to come to this.

see you guys there.

Mocha19

Smash Journeyman
Count me in!! Keep the people coming, guys!!

I'll be helping out as well, just tell me what to bring and what to do, Randall. I got your back.

"Mission accepted." - Heero Yuy

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
So... we're gonna need TVs and cubes and stuff. If you know you're coming, please let me know if you're bringing something. Now that this is in the Southern Smash Circuit, I'm thinking maybe aim for 8-10 TVs. Anyways, too many TVs is way better than not enough. Oh, not just TVs either, power strips (especially those with 4+ plugs in them) and cube/smash combos are needed. I'll keep track of who's offered what, and who is bringing what on the first page.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Awesome!

As for housing, I'm going to talk to the BR people and see who might be able to help out. Past that, there's a Motel 6 right down the road... If it looks like more people need housing than what we can handle ourselves, then I could probably look into some kind of group rate at a place nearby.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I think your inability to quit could make this tournament so much more fun. Plus, RAM, all of your favorite LA smashers will be here, I'm sure. (btw, I'm the guy who's Ness you 4 stocked way long ago at a Gameware tournament, haha)

Top Bottom