• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laptop randomly shuts off... help me.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
My laptop recently started turning itself off randomly. I've ruled out all the simple solutions, such as loose battery and stuff-- I honestly think I knocked somethin' loose on the inside.

Is this a common problem amongst laptops that need to be fixed? Or is my laptop just possessed by demonic forces? Seriously, I've tried to work this from every angle. If you know of any internal problems that may cause this, let me know so I can get it checked out.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does it just... *poof* black screen and no power? Or does it actually go "Windows is now shutting down..."

If it were a software problem, then it ought to give you a BSOD, or some kind of halt error or something. I suspect that it's a hardware fault. IE: Something actually loose or broken inside the machine.
It's not under warranty is it?

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
It's luckily under warranty, but I'd rather it was a problem I could fix myself, as to not lose my laptop for two weeks at Best Buy.

It's a poof, black screen. If I want to restart it, I actually have to disconnect my battery, and reclick it back it in. If I don't do that, the power button does absolutely nothing.

Sensai

Smash Master
That's...odd, to say the least.

Does it still shut off like this if there's no battery in? Like, if you plug the laptop into the wall and remove the battery, does it still do this?

Also: you'd much rather have to send it off for 2 weeks now than let it run out of warranty and ***** at them then.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I run Vista SP1 Home Premium and whenever I play games from Steam I.E - Team Fortress 2, Counter strike, or even Half Life, after a random period of time, sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 20, it will POOF black screen. And when I try to turn it on, I have to turn it on like 20 times because when I turn it on, it shuts itself off, until I get lucky and it self fixes. Major problem, because the only game that comes close to smash in my heart is TF2 :p

If you know how to fix this (I think it might be cpu usage, although I have a 2 GB RAM) please contact me, I'll probably forget to check this thread again, so please PM me if anything!!! THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!

--The MOP

-- Sorry to jack your thread Xsy, I just have the same problem but a little different :\

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
I have a similar problem to Xsyven's. A few days ago my comp just randomly turned off and when I press the on button again, instead of going into the login menu, it shows the menu where you select stuff like "Safe Mode" or "Start Windows Normally" and stuff like that. But then, it doesn't respond when I press Enter and a few seconds later, it would turn off. I honestly belive it's a virus but do I have to reformat my comp?

Top Bottom